English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   International affairs/politics (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/)
-   -   All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe) (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/244043-all-about-muslims-wake-terrorist-attacks-europe.html)

kriss kross 08.08.2017 00:44

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pashosh (Post 2827620)
The founders received hundreds of death threats. What a surprise.

She's also under 24-7 police protection! :eek:

Source

J2488 08.08.2017 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 2827681)
The point is they have the choice whether to cover their heads or not. Or did you not look at the first picture? :rolleyes:




Of course not. Amogles is a little too delicate for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 2827697)
I'll believe they are liberal when I see a man praying in women's headdress and having a pork sandwich and a pint of lager afterwards.


:D



Plenty do eat pork and enjoy a pint now and again.


So we're agreed, they're liberal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pashosh (Post 2827620)
The founders received hundreds of death threats. What a surprise.



:D


What took you so long pash?


I was starting to wonder if you were ok, having waited so long before you chimed in on a muslim-bashing forum.

FCBarca 08.08.2017 11:24

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
There is a spectrum of Muslims just as there is for every other religion out there from Jews to Christians. Some women cover their hair, some eat pork, some drink alcohol etc.

It's nonsense to stereotype any religion as being strictly this or that, perhaps we can all agree that in general all religions are nutty

amogles 08.08.2017 11:37

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FCBarca (Post 2827877)
There is a spectrum of Muslims just as there is for every other religion out there from Jews to Christians. Some women cover their hair, some eat pork, some drink alcohol etc.

It's nonsense to stereotype any religion as being strictly this or that, perhaps we can all agree that in general all religions are nutty

But i think we can to some extent stereotype liberal religious communities, no?

So if a Christian church can count as liberal if it fulfils certain criteria, then for a muslim mosque to also be liberal, it would need to fulfil equivalent and corresponding criteria.

If a Christian church is not ultra conservative, then it's not automatically lberal, it's more lilely just middle of the road mainstream.

I see nothing in this mosque that makes it more liberal than a mainstream Christian church.

J2488 08.08.2017 11:40

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 2827891)
But i think we can to some extent stereotype liberal religious communities, no?

So if a Christian church can count as liberal if it fulfils certain criteria, then for a muslim mosque to also be liberal, it would need to fulfil equivalent and corresponding criteria.

If a Christian church is not ultra conservative, then it's not automatically lberal, it's more lilely just middle of the road mainstream.

I see nothing in this mosque that makes it more liberal than a mainstream Christian church.



Good point.


You should have pointed out sooner that you were, in fact, a member of this mosque.

kriss kross 11.08.2017 12:58

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Winterthur imam charged with incitement to murder

The Winterthur public prosecutorís office said in a statement on Friday that the imam was charged on August 2nd with inciting the murder of non-practising Muslims.

Silly imam. Doesn't he know that Islam means peace? :confused:

J2488 11.08.2017 13:17

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
KKK is actually right here - somebody actually should educate this guy.


Thank you for your (possibly first) constructive comment.

Capo 11.08.2017 15:53

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FCBarca (Post 2827877)
There is a spectrum of Muslims just as there is for every other religion out there from Jews to Christians. Some women cover their hair, some eat pork, some drink alcohol etc.

It's nonsense to stereotype any religion as being strictly this or that, perhaps we can all agree that in general all religions are nutty

Indeed, but I haven't seen Buddhists carrying terrorist attacks...

Capo 11.08.2017 15:55

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kriss kross (Post 2829440)
Winterthur imam charged with incitement to murder

The Winterthur public prosecutor’s office said in a statement on Friday that the imam was charged on August 2nd with inciting the murder of non-practising Muslims.

Silly imam. Doesn't he know that Islam means peace? :confused:

You forgot to quote the most important part:

An Ethiopian imam of the now closed An’Nur mosque in Winterthur has been charged with inciting people to commit murder.

Blueangel 11.08.2017 16:06

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 2829545)
Indeed, but I haven't seen Buddhists carrying terrorist attacks...

http://www.smh.com.au/world/myanmar-...12-guw9jt.html

Pashosh 11.08.2017 16:08

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kriss kross (Post 2829440)
Silly imam. Doesn't he know that Islam means peace? :confused:

Indeed, incitement and violence are very rare among religious Muslims. Mecca has been peaceful for hours, maybe even days.

marton 11.08.2017 16:11

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 2829545)
Indeed, but I haven't seen Buddhists carrying terrorist attacks...

The Sri Lanka Prime Minister SWRD Bandaranaike was assassinated by a Buddhist monk; maybe he saw a terrorist attack!

More about Buddhist terrorism here, or you can google it.

J2488 11.08.2017 16:45

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 2829545)
Indeed, but I haven't seen Buddhists carrying terrorist attacks...

You should educate yourself about the situation in Myanmar.

greenmount 11.08.2017 20:00

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by marton (Post 2829557)
The Sri Lanka Prime Minister SWRD Bandaranaike was assassinated by a Buddhist monk; maybe he saw a terrorist attack!

More about Buddhist terrorism here, or you can google it.

Marton, I salute your stubborn abnegation, but do you really think that 1.6 billion people need you to speak in their name? :msnblush:

I meant the Muslims. Let Mr. Vertigo and other people talk about this issue, at least their interventions are legitimate.

"The dark side of Buddhism"...I had a good laugh.

YuropFlyer 11.08.2017 20:22

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 2829545)
Indeed, but I haven't seen Buddhists carrying terrorist attacks...

Well, it was basically the US gouvernment behind it (Still the worlds leader in supporting terrorism by a very large margin.. sorry Bin Laden & Daesh, no chance for #1 spot here..) but the CIA Tibetan program mostly hired Buddhists..

greenmount 11.08.2017 20:56

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 2829652)
Well, it was basically the US gouvernment behind it (Still the worlds leader in supporting terrorism by a very large margin.. sorry Bin Laden & Daesh, no chance for #1 spot here..) but the CIA Tibetan program mostly hired Buddhists..

Yes, Buddhists are people like all people and a good % of them are nutters. Bummer.

YuropFlyer 11.08.2017 21:31

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmount (Post 2829673)
Yes, Buddhists are people like all people and a good % of them are nutters. Bummer.

I wasnt the guy/gal totally being surprised about that..

marton 12.08.2017 01:13

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmount (Post 2829646)
Marton, I salute your stubborn abnegation, but do you really think that 1.6 billion people need you to speak in their name? :msnblush:

I meant the Muslims. Let Mr. Vertigo and other people talk about this issue, at least their interventions are legitimate.

"The dark side of Buddhism"...I had a good laugh.

Every religion has their spiritual leaders that subvert their religious texts to mean something completely different :eek:
I just post the results, no comment on the the various routes to get there.

Results are facts, not representations?

Good to know you support the many "anti-Muslim" posters here?

FCBarca 12.08.2017 08:27

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 2829545)
Indeed, but I haven't seen Buddhists carrying terrorist attacks...

Count yourself lucky or merely uninformed

greenmount 12.08.2017 09:59

Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by marton (Post 2829745)
Every religion has their spiritual leaders that subvert their religious texts to mean something completely different :eek:
I just post the results, no comment on the the various routes to get there.

Results are facts, not representations?

Good to know you support the many "anti-Muslim" posters here?

I don't support the main anti-Muslim posters (or anti-anything else if I think more of it) here, but arguing that terrorism inflicted by Buddhist nutters affects us (or can affect us) in the same way than the other is simply silly.
I certainly don't enjoy knowing there are nutters in other parts of the world and they inflict terror there too, but the other extremists are, unfortunately, a cause of concern for Europe, sad but true. Yes, there is a problem in certain circles and it's better to understand it. I don't expect anyone from the left wing to have a debate so OK, I'll leave you to that.

I remember that when I was a child I knew that Muslims are very peaceful and generous, it was that kind of basic knowledge you get from some stories but it was there. What on earth happened with this world in the meantime, we'll never know. And it's not always "the others" that are guilty. It's combined, and a little bit of soul searching would be in order, I believe. But really, I'll leave it to you. I don't want to be accused of being anti-anything because I am not.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0