Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1321  
Old 15.09.2017, 17:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

The footnotes (graphs) offer a bit of context, though, don't they? Sort of makes it a bit less alarmist...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #1322  
Old 16.09.2017, 13:41
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,722
Groaned at 386 Times in 298 Posts
Thanked 16,658 Times in 9,409 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

One Muslim country trying to lead the way.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41278610
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #1323  
Old 17.09.2017, 00:19
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,837
Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,152 Times in 9,656 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
One Muslim country trying to lead the way.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41278610
My belief is that Islam, like Christianity itself already has, will slowly fade away in Western Europe and in other places that encourage education, freedom of expression and democracy.

There are simply too many unexplainable differences between the modern world and the contents of books from previous millenia.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #1324  
Old 17.09.2017, 23:44
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,373
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
One Muslim country trying to lead the way.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41278610
It's amazing, Western liberals are calling people in the EU "racists" if they want to have sensible immigration, but Muslims by law can only marry other Muslims? Meh...

....oh wait, look, one country changed that law, look how "progressive" they are

Quote:
A spokeswoman for President Beji Caid Essebsi made the announcement and congratulated women on gaining "the freedom to choose one's spouse".
Until now, a non-Muslim man who wished to marry a Tunisian Muslim woman had to convert to Islam and submit a certificate of his conversion as proof.
Tunisia, which is 99% Muslim, is viewed as one of the most progressive Arab countries in terms of women's rights.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank esto for this useful post:
  #1325  
Old 18.09.2017, 00:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,275
Groaned at 403 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 10,787 Times in 5,680 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
My belief is that Islam, like Christianity itself already has, will slowly fade away in Western Europe and in other places that encourage education, freedom of expression and democracy.
Sorry marton but that's quite naive. Check out the dominant role of christianity in the US, also Texas and Louisiana and their laws on schooling on creationism, probably other states as well. Guess that qualifies for "other places".
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #1326  
Old 18.09.2017, 00:38
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,837
Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,152 Times in 9,656 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Sorry marton but that's quite naive. Check out the dominant role of christianity in the US, also Texas and Louisiana and their laws on schooling on creationism, probably other states as well. Guess that qualifies for "other places".
I wrote "other places that encourage education"; I do not regard creationism as evidence of encouraging education. Nor Turkey which has dropped evolution.
Surprising the parallels between these two religions

Edit - why can I not delete the link on parallel? The aliens are amongst us
Reply With Quote
  #1327  
Old 18.09.2017, 09:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,973
Groaned at 336 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 14,551 Times in 7,476 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
My belief is that Islam, like Christianity itself already has, will slowly fade away in Western Europe and in other places that encourage education, freedom of expression and democracy.

There are simply too many unexplainable differences between the modern world and the contents of books from previous millenia.
It may be, hopefully, in the long run, but as for now we assist to a trend that is obviously going to the opposite direction.
And I am not saying that, I just observe and read what other people from the inside of this religion say. But who wants to listen to them.

Christianity might get rather intrusive in some places, but on the whole, it hasn't a big power anymore. It's funny to see that other people think this is like the biggest problem.
You can't even compare the rights that religious minorities have in "Christian"countries with the rights that religious minorities have in the Muslim ones. Don't know why people even argue about these things..

Last edited by greenmount; 18.09.2017 at 09:47.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #1328  
Old 18.09.2017, 10:49
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 9,064
Groaned at 289 Times in 228 Posts
Thanked 19,283 Times in 7,610 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Edit - why can I not delete the link on parallel? The aliens are amongst us
The Local introduced automated Google ads some time ago. Various key words automatically get linked to web pages from whichever advertisers think that it's a good idea to spend money to annoy people with advertising that is often completely unrelated to the discussion underway. Try typing the word Samsung anywhere in this forum.

The only way I know of to stop this is to submit your post, then click "Edit", then submit again (without making any changes). It doesn't always work, though (as it hasn't on the Samsung link here).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #1329  
Old 18.09.2017, 12:20
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,986
Groaned at 240 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 23,068 Times in 9,798 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
The Local introduced automated Google ads some time ago. Various key words automatically get linked to web pages from whichever advertisers think that it's a good idea to spend money to annoy people with advertising that is often completely unrelated to the discussion underway. Try typing the word Samsung anywhere in this forum.

The only way I know of to stop this is to submit your post, then click "Edit", then submit again (without making any changes). It doesn't always work, though (as it hasn't on the Samsung link here).
Or just write lots of bad stuff about Sam Sung, and they may not want to adverise here any more.

For example. Sam Sung is a fat Ausländer who eats kittens and flushes his loo after 10pm.

Wait a day or two and then google that precise sentence as often as you can.

Last edited by amogles; 18.09.2017 at 12:56.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #1330  
Old 18.09.2017, 12:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,275
Groaned at 403 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 10,787 Times in 5,680 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
I wrote "other places that encourage education"; I do not regard creationism as evidence of encouraging education. Nor Turkey which has dropped evolution.
Surprising the parallels between these two religions

Edit - why can I not delete the link on parallel? The aliens are amongst us
That's just one subject in Texas' and Louisianna's curriculums (curricula?). Does presenting creationism as a valid theory make the two states "not encouraging education"?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #1331  
Old 19.09.2017, 12:09
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,837
Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,152 Times in 9,656 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
That's just one subject in Texas' and Louisianna's curriculums (curricula?). Does presenting creationism as a valid theory make the two states "not encouraging education"?
Teaching something that is clearly wrong opposes the whole concept of education which is about acquiring knowledge not about acquiring nonsense.

There is not even any Biblical support for creationism, the Bible says "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth" and on the fifth and sixth days created fish, birds, creatures and man!
Reply With Quote
  #1332  
Old 19.09.2017, 13:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,275
Groaned at 403 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 10,787 Times in 5,680 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

And the answer to the question is?
Reply With Quote
  #1333  
Old 19.09.2017, 13:46
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Teaching something that is clearly wrong opposes the whole concept of education which is about acquiring knowledge not about acquiring nonsense.
"I believe God created me in one day."
"Looks like he rushed it"

Reply With Quote
  #1334  
Old 19.09.2017, 17:28
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,986
Groaned at 240 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 23,068 Times in 9,798 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Teaching something that is clearly wrong opposes the whole concept of education which is about acquiring knowledge not about acquiring nonsense.
Arguably, education should be about teaching you to think rather than stuffing your brain with facts.
Reply With Quote
  #1335  
Old 19.09.2017, 17:58
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,837
Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,152 Times in 9,656 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Arguably, education should be about teaching you to think rather than stuffing your brain with facts.
I agree so teaching something that is clearly wrong and that is belief based not fact based is teaching one to blindly believe, to encourage students to suspend thinking and consequently is not encouraging education.
Reply With Quote
  #1336  
Old 19.09.2017, 18:17
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 4,277
Groaned at 161 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 7,435 Times in 3,404 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
And the answer to the question is?
42.


As ever.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #1337  
Old 19.09.2017, 18:46
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,986
Groaned at 240 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 23,068 Times in 9,798 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
I agree so teaching something that is clearly wrong and that is belief based not fact based is teaching one to blindly believe, to encourage students to suspend thinking and consequently is not encouraging education.
I could devise a lesson about creationsim that is intended to make pupils think. I could also devise one about evolution that says believe this and shut up.

So speaking the truth is not at all the same as encouraging critical and independent thought.

Agreed?

If I teach both systems (which is actually what is happening in many of the states that do teach creationism) I would say that is a good way of also encouraging pupils to compare, think, and form their own conclusions.

In a system where only one of the two is taught, it takes a good teacher to encourage critical thinking nevertheless.
Reply With Quote
  #1338  
Old 20.09.2017, 01:06
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,837
Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,152 Times in 9,656 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
I could devise a lesson about creationsim that is intended to make pupils think. I could also devise one about evolution that says believe this and shut up.

So speaking the truth is not at all the same as encouraging critical and independent thought.

Agreed?

If I teach both systems (which is actually what is happening in many of the states that do teach creationism) I would say that is a good way of also encouraging pupils to compare, think, and form their own conclusions.

In a system where only one of the two is taught, it takes a good teacher to encourage critical thinking nevertheless.
Probably you could devise a lesson about creationism that is intended to make pupils think but what has that to do with what is ocurring in the real world

"If I teach both systems (which is actually what is happening in many of the states....." Do you have a source for this?
Reply With Quote
  #1339  
Old 20.09.2017, 09:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,275
Groaned at 403 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 10,787 Times in 5,680 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Probably you could devise a lesson about creationism that is intended to make pupils think but what has that to do with what is ocurring in the real world

"If I teach both systems (which is actually what is happening in many of the states....." Do you have a source for this?
Apparently Texas retracted on teaching both side by side. Others however do, see this map from 2014 for example.
Reply With Quote
  #1340  
Old 20.09.2017, 11:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
I could devise a lesson about creationsim that is intended to make pupils think. I could also devise one about evolution that says believe this and shut up.
Are those two approaches mutually exclusive?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will borders with CH be affected after terrorist attacks? McTAVGE Daily life 19 15.11.2015 18:14
The All Muslims are evil thread bigblue2 General off-topic 4 27.08.2010 15:46
Confused about coverage in rest of Europe on Swiss Health Insurance Wingnut Insurance 8 15.12.2008 09:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0