Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 03.11.2019, 14:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Facebook are prudes

How much of the social media addiction is addiction to the media itself or addiction to social comparison, which has been around for a long, long time.

And while social media is a likely insidious effect, and certainly more pronounced, I believe it may be more of a vehicle than a cause. So like a mediator.

As for people becoming „softer“ and being upset about another‘s misfortune, I don‘t think that‘s necessarily a bad thing. We sometimes encourage the suppression of feelings and that‘s not always a good thing. What you feel is the reality.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #122  
Old 03.11.2019, 14:21
swissotter's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,307
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,439 Times in 1,412 Posts
swissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
View Post
I actually really appreciate hearing about other people's experiences with those sites and their opinions about it. Yes, even if they do differ from my own.

Perhaps I am a bit biased against it, in part because of all the studies that I've read. My best friend is a psychology professor, and I research neuroscience, and we're writing a book together. So I guess I've slowly developed a different perspective on it than most people have.

Certainly, not everyone is addicted to social media, but obviously, some people are. I think some people are more prone to addiction than others. There is a woman in my neighborhood who walks around all day, every day, with four cell phones, searching for Pokemons.

so...EF is your research too?
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 03.11.2019, 14:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
View Post
You're interpreting me presenting facts about social media as me telling people that they shouldn't be using it. That's not the case. I have stressed numerous times that I understand that everyone has different experiences with it and that I simply think that people should be aware that it's designed to be very addictive.

I think it's pretty clear that no matter what facts or studies I present here, most people are just going to disagree with me. This is one of the reasons I had stopped using EF years ago -- because I found it impossible to have intelligent conversations here. I can go into a psychology or neuroscience forum and have intelligent conversations about this subject, but obviously that is not possible here.
Quote:
View Post
Ironically (and humorously), this conversation has reminded me of what a huge waste of time it is to debate in circles with strangers on the Internet... precisely one of the reasons I had deactivated from FB. :P

But you're not really interested in debate are you? You're giving very biased monologues and then getting annoyed when folk disagree.

My bold: I'll wager that what you really mean is folk don't blindly agree and then ask you to tell them more.

I'm up for a debate. I've encountered an awful lot of the darker side of social media in my profession, but I think that educating users is key, not whacamoling them until they desist.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #124  
Old 03.11.2019, 14:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
View Post
So you're saying that it must be nothing more than pure coincidence that the sudden, dramatic rise in teen suicides in the past 10 years or so has coincided with the rise of social media? They couldn't possibly be correlated?
Don't get angry or start twisting my words if you can't get it your way.

You present it as a fact that social media is responsible for a rise in suicide, I am not denying that there can be a relation, I'm saying that there is no hard proof yet that this is the case. And your links are full of "could, possibly, perhaps" So while lacking the proof you insist on it being a fact and if we don't agree than you think it is us who are not capable of an intelligent conversation.

Joke's on you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #125  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:03
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,279
Groaned at 300 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,309 Times in 4,268 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
View Post
Yes of course Pancakes, the best way to convince people of your intellectual prowess is to come on a forum and then post how much you dislike using that forum. Makes perfect sense.

I am guessing your reason for removing yourself from Facebook as well as (almost) EF and hanging around psychology (ironic) and neuroscience forums involves a certain amount of social awkwardness.
I'm sorry that you're confusing my comments here with me trying to convince people of my "intellectual prowness." It's really a shame that stating facts and providing links to studies, statistics, etc. is confused with such a thing.

I removed myself from Facebook for various reasons, and for myself at least, I can honestly say that it was one of the wisest decisions I have ever made. Again, I realize that everyone has different experiences with it, but for myself, it was definitely causing anxiety for me (and by the way, yes, I probably am "socially awkward"). I'm the type of person who would rather be spending time alone reading about physics or neuroscience or making (electronic) music than at a party or something.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #126  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,534
Groaned at 413 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 17,746 Times in 8,975 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facebook are prudes

I personally don't care about FB, which is sometimes used for family and close friends only. But we're on WhatsApp too, so bye FB.

However, certain politicians are against it because people have used it to coagulate around social causes. I don't know about others, but that alone makes me feel very suspicious about anyone discrediting it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #127  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:20
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,279
Groaned at 300 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,309 Times in 4,268 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
But you're not really interested in debate are you? You're giving very biased monologues and then getting annoyed when folk disagree.

My bold: I'll wager that what you really mean is folk don't blindly agree and then ask you to tell them more.

I'm up for a debate. I've encountered an awful lot of the darker side of social media in my profession, but I think that educating users is key, not whacamoling them until they desist.
Quote:
Don't get angry or start twisting my words if you can't get it your way.

You present it as a fact that social media is responsible for a rise in suicide, I am not denying that there can be a relation, I'm saying that there is no hard proof yet that this is the case. And your links are full of "could, possibly, perhaps" So while lacking the proof you insist on it being a fact and if we don't agree than you think it is us who are not capable of an intelligent conversation.

Joke's on you.
I'm sorry, was there a joke? Did I miss something? I'm not angry at all. I had already stated that I don't mind when people disagree with me. What I do find annoying, however, is when people completely ignore what contradicts their opinions and ignore facts. I have put numerous links here, including numerous studies (many of which do present facts and are not simply theoretical or a matter of "could"), and yet not one single person here has acknowledged any of the links or the information they contain, apart from the one person whose instinct was to negate one of the study's validity. So yes, it is pointless to try to have an intelligent debate or conversation with people who are completely unwilling to recognize the validity of information -- or even consider its validity -- because it contradicts their own personal biases.

But again, I actually do appreciate hearing other people's perspectives about social media (their experiences with it, etc.) because this is information that I find useful in terms of my research. Perhaps I should publish my book anonymously so that I don't start to receive death threats in the mail.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #128  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Facebook are prudes

I like Facebook. Gasp. But this is why.....

In 2010, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, treated in 2011. I’m an American, and given that I live here, I needed to communicate with people in the Us (family and friends) and FB seemed to be the best medium. Since that time, I‘ve become part of a network of women - and men - with breast cancer, and have established some excellent, albeit virtual friendships.

Most of my good friends in Switzerland (many I met via EF) are also on FB and it‘s a convenient medium for contact.

Also dog memes. All the dog memes.

And there are lots of other social, information, etc groups I am part of....so it just depends on your own personal needs. I do Twitter, for health information stuff, but pretty much avoid Instagram since I like stringing together words better than pictures.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #129  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:27
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,279
Groaned at 300 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,309 Times in 4,268 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
View Post
I personally don't care about FB, which is sometimes used for family and close friends only. But we're on WhatsApp too, so bye FB.

However, certain politicians are against it because people have used it to coagulate around social causes. I don't know about others, but that alone makes me feel very suspicious about anyone discrediting it.
Well, I can assure you that my feelings about social media are not related to any political agendas. However, there is an excellent film titled "The Great Hack" that is about the Cambridge Analytica scandal and how Facebook users were targeted to sway the last US presidential election in Trump's favor.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #130  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
View Post
this is information that I find useful in terms of my research.
... and now we get to the heart of the matter.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #131  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:29
swissotter's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,307
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,439 Times in 1,412 Posts
swissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
View Post
I'm sorry, was there a joke? Did I miss something? I'm not angry at all. I had already stated that I don't mind when people disagree with me. What I do find annoying, however, is when people completely ignore what contradicts their opinions and ignore facts. I have put numerous links here, including numerous studies (many of which do present facts and are not simply theoretical or a matter of "could"), and yet not one single person here has acknowledged any of the links or the information they contain, apart from the one person whose instinct was to negate one of the study's validity. So yes, it is pointless to try to have an intelligent debate or conversation with people who are completely unwilling to recognize the validity of information -- or even consider its validity -- because it contradicts their own personal biases.

But again, I actually do appreciate hearing other people's perspectives about social media (their experiences with it, etc.) because this is information that I find useful in terms of my research. Perhaps I should publish my book anonymously so that I don't start to receive death threats in the mail.
Not really sure what your research is regarding all this - as you didn't answer my question above. are you researching us then? If so its an odd way to do it. Most people conduct proper questionnaires.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
View Post
I'm sorry, was there a joke? Did I miss something? I'm not angry at all. I had already stated that I don't mind when people disagree with me. What I do find annoying, however, is when people completely ignore what contradicts their opinions and ignore facts. I have put numerous links here, including numerous studies (many of which do present facts and are not simply theoretical or a matter of "could"), and yet not one single person here has acknowledged any of the links or the information they contain, apart from the one person whose instinct was to negate one of the study's validity. So yes, it is pointless to try to have an intelligent debate or conversation with people who are completely unwilling to recognize the validity of information -- or even consider its validity -- because it contradicts their own personal biases.

But again, I actually do appreciate hearing other people's perspectives about social media (their experiences with it, etc.) because this is information that I find useful in terms of my research. Perhaps I should publish my book anonymously so that I don't start to receive death threats in the mail.

Those aren't links to facts (not the dopamine ones) they are links to best guesses. Perhaps. Maybe.

What do you mean acknowledge the links? Thank you for them ? Say we read them? We still don't have to agree. It's no measure of intellect, merely different choices. And to repeatedly imply folk on EF are lacking smarts... nice.

Do I think there are some dangers? Yes. Do I think that as a while things like FB are harmful to society? No.

No need to be quite so dramatic regarding your future publication. Just don't expect all reviews to agree with you.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #133  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:31
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,279
Groaned at 300 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,309 Times in 4,268 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
... and now we get to the heart of the matter.
No, I never intended for my initial comment about FB to even get anywhere near this far, in terms of other comments. What I meant, in terms of my research, is more that, with my book, I am now reminded of the fact that there are a lot of people out there who consider sites like FB to be something very positive and beneficial in their lives and who may try to attack or condemn me for criticizing it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #134  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:34
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,279
Groaned at 300 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,309 Times in 4,268 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
View Post
Not really sure what your research is regarding all this - as you didn't answer my question above. are you researching us then? If so its an odd way to do it. Most people conduct proper questionnaires.

I am not researching you at all. Read my last comment ^^^

But as someone who is writing a book and has been doing a lot of research for that book in the past few years, naturally, something like this is going to be taking into consideration. This is good for me, actually -- to be reminded that so many people feel that social media is a positive thing for them.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #135  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
View Post
No, I never intended for my initial comment about FB to even get anywhere near this far, in terms of other comments. What I meant, in terms of my research, is more that, with my book, I am now reminded of the fact that there are a lot of people out there who consider sites like FB to be something very positive and beneficial in their lives and who may try to attack or condemn me for criticizing it.

No one is attacking or condemning. You are constantly presenting yourself in terms of a victim. Not helpful. Nor is insulting your "research".

FB groups can be great things: fund raising, awareness of local issues.

Last edited by RufusB; 03.11.2019 at 16:42. Reason: Fund not find
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #136  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Facebook are prudes

I must admit that I could barely keep my composure when the great linguist David Crystal quoted our very own Wollishofner during a lecture at the university in Zurich. Sometimes unwitting guinea pigs provide the very best material!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #137  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:37
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,279
Groaned at 300 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,309 Times in 4,268 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
Those aren't links to facts (not the dopamine ones) they are links to best guesses. Perhaps. Maybe.

What do you mean acknowledge the links? Thank you for them ? Say we read them? We still don't have to agree. It's no measure of intellect, merely different choices. And to repeatedly imply folk on EF are lacking smarts... nice.

Do I think there are some dangers? Yes. Do I think that as a while things like FB are harmful to society? No.

No need to be quite so dramatic regarding your future publication. Just don't expect all reviews to agree with you.
Yes, of course I don't expect all reviews to agree with me. And I can assure you that I'm not the first person to be publishing a book about the negative effects of social media.

I do find it very difficult to have an intelligent conversation with you, though. I'm sorry. You completely ignore and dismiss any evidence that contradicts your bias in favor of social media.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #138  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,534
Groaned at 413 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 17,746 Times in 8,975 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
View Post
No, I never intended for my initial comment about FB to even get anywhere near this far, in terms of other comments. What I meant, in terms of my research, is more that, with my book, I am now reminded of the fact that there are a lot of people out there who consider sites like FB to be something very positive and beneficial in their lives and who may try to attack or condemn me for criticizing it.
I think you need to get used with criticism starting with like, now.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
You are constantly presenting yourself in terms of a victim.
It's all the rage on EF at the moment. I might have a bash at it myself.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #140  
Old 03.11.2019, 15:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,534
Groaned at 413 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 17,746 Times in 8,975 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facebook are prudes

Quote:
I must admit that I could barely keep my composure when the great linguist David Crystal quoted our very own Wollishofner during a lecture at the university in Zurich. Sometimes unwitting guinea pigs provide the very best material!
Wha....? Is this serious or are you making fun of us...... Please tell me it's a joke.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
facebook, little mermaid




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Facebook replies are people tagged...why? flow23 Daily life 27 30.08.2014 16:18
Don't use Facebook when you are ill .... Markarina TV/internet/telephone 4 21.06.2014 13:20
Are Facebook names OK in posts? RetiredInNH Forum support 5 04.07.2013 09:05
What Google and Facebook are Hiding Mowvich General off-topic 2 19.06.2011 23:10
Are you a member of a pederasts' group on Facebook? Guest International affairs/politics 1 09.10.2010 14:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0