Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #381  
Old 09.08.2017, 01:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,013 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
https://www.rferl.org/a/tusk-poland-.../28658343.html

Poland is on a roll I would actually like to see them lead E.Europe and create their own Union (Eastern European Union?) The whole former East bloc doesn't seem to fit with Liberal West EU, and definitely doesn't want to return to Russian rule either...creating a new Eastern bloc/union would make sense to me...maybe even inevitable?
If you mean V4, as MusicChick pointed out, it might be a viable plan who knows. I would like to know what the president of Estonia thinks of this subject, for example. Or any other EE leader because all we catch from the international media is what Germany or France (or indeed Russia), says and does and we're kinda fed up. I don't have to read the newspapers to know same old same old POVs, I'd like to find out about these things from other people who also do count, at least in my book. How viable is an EE project and isn't it exactly what Russia wants?lol Do people want to go back, don't know.
Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 09.08.2017, 09:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 982
Groaned at 249 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 2,158 Times in 997 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
https://www.rferl.org/a/tusk-poland-.../28658343.html

Poland is on a roll I would actually like to see them lead E.Europe and create their own Union (Eastern European Union?) The whole former East bloc doesn't seem to fit with Liberal West EU, and definitely doesn't want to return to Russian rule either...creating a new Eastern bloc/union would make sense to me...maybe even inevitable?




Lol...good one


Poland is going to refuse the 14billion€ the EU gives it, in return for their 4billion€ contribution.
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 09.08.2017, 10:09
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,558
Groaned at 281 Times in 229 Posts
Thanked 24,661 Times in 10,423 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post



Lol...good one


Poland is going to refuse the 14billion€ the EU gives it, in return for their 4billion€ contribution.
With Brexit looming, with Germany under pressure to put more money into NATO, with lots of other things going on, and with senior German politicians even openly talking about cutting their support for Poland (even hinting at unsavoury Godwinesque metaphors involving the cavalry), I don't think its safe to assume those 14 billion are going to stay forever.
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 09.08.2017, 10:13
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,554
Groaned at 470 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 19,349 Times in 10,216 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Germany’s young voters back ‘grandmother’ Merkel, Generation that has grown up with chancellor support liberal stance on refugees.

Young voters have some admiration for her flashes of liberal leadership — as with her insistence on an “open doors” policy for refugees to Germany two years ago.

Source
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 09.08.2017, 10:16
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,558
Groaned at 281 Times in 229 Posts
Thanked 24,661 Times in 10,423 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Germany’s young voters back ‘grandmother’ Merkel, Generation that has grown up with chancellor support liberal stance on refugees.

Young voters have some admiration for her flashes of liberal leadership — as with her insistence on an “open doors” policy for refugees to Germany two years ago.

Source
paywall
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 09.08.2017, 10:41
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,554
Groaned at 470 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 19,349 Times in 10,216 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
paywall
So pay
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #387  
Old 09.08.2017, 10:48
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,558
Groaned at 281 Times in 229 Posts
Thanked 24,661 Times in 10,423 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
So pay
or just assume it's the garbage I think it is?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #388  
Old 09.08.2017, 11:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,013 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
With Brexit looming, with Germany under pressure to put more money into NATO, with lots of other things going on, and with senior German politicians even openly talking about cutting their support for Poland (even hinting at unsavoury Godwinesque metaphors involving the cavalry), I don't think its safe to assume those 14 billion are going to stay forever.
Poland is punished for being an "undisciplined" member. EU financial aids were part of the deal and it wasn't written anywhere that they should be granted as a reward, they were meant to help everybody in the end, including those who contribute more. I don't remember EU "punishing" other members for the same reasons except for those belonging to the EE front. People will get fed up with double standards, the usual hypocrisy and EU will lose terrain. Who will fill this void? - now that's the question..
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #389  
Old 09.08.2017, 12:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

I don't believe in Merkel anymore because she plans to overtake her rival and win the elections with Poroshenko's money.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lucasbauer/...ErJ#.abOgMnBMd
Politics were always dirt but Merkel disappointed me here very much. Actually she sold herself to Poroshenko so he could continue doing his business in Germany.
Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old 09.08.2017, 14:09
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,558
Groaned at 281 Times in 229 Posts
Thanked 24,661 Times in 10,423 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Poland is punished for being an "undisciplined" member. EU financial aids were part of the deal and it wasn't written anywhere that they should be granted as a reward, they were meant to help everybody in the end, including those who contribute more. I don't remember EU "punishing" other members for the same reasons except for those belonging to the EE front. People will get fed up with double standards, the usual hypocrisy and EU will lose terrain. Who will fill this void? - now that's the question..
I think a lot of the Polish economy is based on services such as IT and call centers. Cutting off ties to the EU could put all that at peril. I don't think Poland is ready to jump ship, but they are clearly signalling to the EU that if necessary it is an option. So they are making it clear to the EU that they are not a punchbag willing to accept anything. For now leaving is more a threat to leverage their negotiating position than a plan to be followed on.

But that's how it began in Britain too. The EU doesn't seem capable of learning from its own mistakes.

I'm also not convinmced that the V4 would leave the EU as a bloc. They all have slightly different situations. It could become a test and open new rifts.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #391  
Old 10.08.2017, 08:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,013 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
I think a lot of the Polish economy is based on services such as IT and call centers. Cutting off ties to the EU could put all that at peril. I don't think Poland is ready to jump ship, but they are clearly signalling to the EU that if necessary it is an option. So they are making it clear to the EU that they are not a punchbag willing to accept anything. For now leaving is more a threat to leverage their negotiating position than a plan to be followed on.
.
Yes, their politicians do know to fight back a little. We, on the other hand, never had any lustration law and it really shows.. That's why we are...uhm, a little different. Not only for that of course, back home Poland has a very good image.
Anyway, I don't believe there is a real anti-EU or Euroscepticism in Poland for the moment, at least not amongst simple or common people. At the end of the day I don't think the general population would support a rejection of EU, it was hard to be behind that iron wall for so long and now to spoil all of these? No. Hard to imagine.

Last edited by greenmount; 10.08.2017 at 08:26.
Reply With Quote
  #392  
Old 10.08.2017, 10:38
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,558
Groaned at 281 Times in 229 Posts
Thanked 24,661 Times in 10,423 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
At the end of the day I don't think the general population would support a rejection of EU, it was hard to be behind that iron wall for so long and now to spoil all of these? No. Hard to imagine.
Not today. But if the EU follows up with tough sanctions and normal people suffer, that opinion could change quite quickly.

Poland has a long history of being stabbed in the back by supposed friends and allies. That sort of past conditions you to smell a rat before you can see it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #393  
Old 11.08.2017, 10:36
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 982
Groaned at 249 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 2,158 Times in 997 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Not today. But if the EU follows up with tough sanctions and normal people suffer, that opinion could change quite quickly.

Poland has a long history of being stabbed in the back by supposed friends and allies. That sort of past conditions you to smell a rat before you can see it.




The only rat in this equation is the Jarosław Kaczyński.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank J2488 for this useful post:
  #394  
Old 12.08.2017, 11:07
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 537
Groaned at 199 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 1,951 Times in 932 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

All about Merkel - despite youtube title

Reply With Quote
  #395  
Old 19.08.2017, 10:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,013 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Not today. But if the EU follows up with tough sanctions and normal people suffer, that opinion could change quite quickly.

Poland has a long history of being stabbed in the back by supposed friends and allies. That sort of past conditions you to smell a rat before you can see it.
It will change very quickly not only in Poland but in many other places. Just read a few articles on how EU workers (human) rights are abused in Italy and Spain, it is hair raising, I won't even get into details, really. Too shocking.
In an Europe that belongs to anyone but to all Europeans, the whole idea will collapse. They are not able to protect us, and I am not referring to refugees here, just to be clear. Anyways, when I hear things like Eastern Europeans get their lunch from Germany (see one of Treverus' posts that sort of shocked me), I just want to vomit, really. Tell that to agricultural workers, elderly care nurses who go to Italy and Spain to be humiliated, not payed, killed in some cases. This is Europe, a very cruel place for some, and very politically correct for others. Those people don't wait for German handouts, what an insulting thing to say, like so many things here, really. The most disturbing thing is that almost no-one challanges this institutional and de facto racism against parts of EU.
The hypocrisy reaches the highest levels when it comes to Eastern Europe.
Don't know if I can post such things here on EF, who already "knows" everything about so many countries and peoples...and about how EU works, really. Do some people still have the right to complain, don't think so. Their place seems to have been established prior to any accession treaties, really. Italy and Spain will continue to get subsidies for agriculture, and all sorts of EU funds while nobody blinks an eye re. e.g. Italian Mafia involvement with EU funds. God, this subject makes me really upset, I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by greenmount; 19.08.2017 at 11:36.
Reply With Quote
  #396  
Old 21.08.2017, 09:30
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 626
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 786 Times in 448 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
https://www.rferl.org/a/tusk-poland-.../28658343.html

Poland is on a roll I would actually like to see them lead E.Europe and create their own Union (Eastern European Union?) The whole former East bloc doesn't seem to fit with Liberal West EU, and definitely doesn't want to return to Russian rule either...creating a new Eastern bloc/union would make sense to me...maybe even inevitable?
I would also like to see Poland go.
Right now they ripping all the benefits of being in the EU, they cost too much money and on top of that they are complaining.
I would be happy to say farewell.
They would be an excellent buffer state between Germany and Russia, hating both and depending on the US.

In general I believe that the EU should become a bit smaller. England and Wales, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania and my native Greece do not add much value to the union, only trouble.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lewton for this useful post:
  #397  
Old 21.08.2017, 09:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,013 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
I would also like to see Poland go.
Right now they ripping all the benefits of being in the EU, they cost too much money and on top of that they are complaining.
I would be happy to say farewell.
They would be an excellent buffer state between Germany and Russia, hating both and depending on the US.

In general I believe that the EU should become a bit smaller. England and Wales, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania and my native Greece do not add much value to the union, only trouble.
Yeah, we know your point of view. I suppose when Greece was receiving money and all that everything was great and dandy. When they have to do what other countries had to do - austerity and money from IMF not from EU....EU sucks.
Carry on.

I guess your real problem is that Poland refuses to accept refugees from your native Greece, isn't it. Funny, countries like UK, USA, France or Russia never get admonished for their refusal to take refugees, despite their major contribution to the ME mess, or despite the fact that their companies took immense advantages afterwards.
It's Poland and the likes we want to pay for all this hypocrisy and for Merkel's own politics.

Last edited by greenmount; 21.08.2017 at 09:52.
Reply With Quote
  #398  
Old 21.08.2017, 10:03
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 626
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 786 Times in 448 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, we know your point of view. I suppose when Greece was receiving money and all that everything was great and dandy. When they have to do what other countries had to do - austerity and money from IMF not from EU....EU sucks.
Carry on.

I guess your real problem is that Poland refuses to accept refugees from your native Greece, isn't it. Funny, countries like UK, USA, France or Russia never get admonished for their refusal to take refugees, despite their major contribution to the ME mess, or despite the fact that their companies took immense advantages afterwards.
It's Poland and the likes we want to pay for all this hypocrisy and for Merkel's own politics.
Both your guesses are wrong. My previous comment was from my EU-citizen point of view. Meaning this is what I believe will be good for the EU. (Oh, and I forgot Hungary, it's also quite troublesome a member)

From my Greek-citizen point of view I would like Greece to leave the euro because it's not working for us, but remain in the EU.

Regarding refugees, I recognize Poland the right to decide not to host refugees. After all Merkel invited them, so now Merkel should deal with them. Still, countries that do not share the burden of accomodating any refugees should not complain when this translates to less funds. A part of EU funds has to go for the refugees costs so obviously it will go to the countries that host them.
__________________
Moving in and out of Switzerland (because it's fun).
Currently away. Miss the Alps.
Reply With Quote
  #399  
Old 21.08.2017, 10:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,013 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Both your guesses are wrong. My previous comment was from my EU-citizen point of view. Meaning this is what I believe will be good for the EU. (Oh, and I forgot Hungary, it's also quite troublesome a member)

From my Greek-citizen point of view I would like Greece to leave the euro because it's not working for us, but remain in the EU.

Regarding refugees, I recognize Poland the right to decide not to host refugees. After all Merkel invited them, so now Merkel should deal with them. Still, countries that do not share the burden of accomodating any refugees should not complain when this translates to less funds. A part of EU funds has to go for the refugees costs so obviously it will go to the countries that host them.
Do you realise that money is not everything when we talk about refugees? It's not only about temporarily housing them and feeding them.
Germany will try to redistribute those who are the least desired (least qualified, and not only) and the least able to integrate into a new culture. For them or others, countries like Bulgaria, Romania, Poland are just bugs to be crushed, insects. Dirt.
Don't be surprised if the refugees themselves view these countries in the same manner. (I have no doubts that most of them do, actually, the Western bile disease is very contagious)
Reply With Quote
  #400  
Old 21.08.2017, 19:34
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 217 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 7,418 Times in 3,283 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
From my Greek-citizen point of view I would like Greece to leave the euro because it's not working for us, but remain in the EU.
It's just a currency, a means of facilitating trade... if you were using monopoly money it would be the same outcome without the economic policies behind it. All of the PIGS can blame the Euro for their downfall, but the reality is that all those governments had the means to handle the situation, but they choose not to do so for political reasons.

I doubt at this stage if even the Greeks themselves would be willing to accept payment in a new Greek drachma.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you do if you find a long hair in the plate in restaurant? happyrobbie Daily life 17 12.04.2014 02:44
This is what happens if you believe in scam mails k_and_e Daily life 4 22.03.2013 16:44
Do you believe in Extra-Terrestrial life? Lob General off-topic 46 19.11.2010 22:19
What do you believe? economisto International affairs/politics 79 13.05.2010 21:46
Bob Woolmer - Do you believe the new conclusions? chiguy Football/sports 7 25.10.2007 09:41


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0