Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #421  
Old 24.08.2017, 10:21
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,554
Groaned at 470 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 19,349 Times in 10,216 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
"while the EU imposes large tariffs on food imported from Africa and the rest of the world"

The stupid. It burns.
Not all food; there are a variety of tariffs depending on the the food type and class. For example, there is no tariff on Mangoes - you need to be more accurate with your posts!

Source
Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 24.08.2017, 10:22
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,554
Groaned at 470 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 19,349 Times in 10,216 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
Says who?

ALTHOUGH...did we react this way about Irish people in the 70s and 80s? This attempt to blame a whole population for the actions of a few? No. And this despite the fact that the proportion* of Irish involved in the IRA was certainly much higher than the proportion of muslims involved in "islamic" terrorism.

*note I say proportion - in both cases the absolute numbers are rather small
Indeed, punishing the majority for the sins of a tiny minority is never a good strategy!
Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 24.08.2017, 10:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 982
Groaned at 249 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 2,158 Times in 997 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Not all food; there are a variety of tariffs depending on the the food type and class. For example, there is no tariff on Mangoes - you need to be more accurate with your posts!

Source


Im fairly certain loz has, actually, no real understanding of the tariff models used, but has instead chosen to take as gospel the claim that the EU is a horrid force for evil in the world and must be eradicated, even if at great cost to humanity.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank J2488 for this useful post:
  #424  
Old 24.08.2017, 10:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Says me, and you? Really, trying to shout louder does not impress me. I stated my opinion, and I bet the opinion of many, many others.

It has nothing to do with blaming all of them for the acts of some, don't distort anything vaguely critical to Merkel's open door policy.


Irish thing was isolated and couldn't affect me in the least (if I even was born in the -70s lol), what a false parallel. Irish thing was not based on a religious ideology and it was obviously it would stop, sooner or later. Now you see involvement in terrorism of the third generation of immigrants....really, when will we drop all this bias.
I lived in London in the later 70s and throughout the 80s so it very directly affected me. I don't give a flying f*** what the justification for the terrorism is, religion, nationalism, whatever, that is completely irrelevant. Just the fact of that terrorism. In all cases I will not hold the whole of a large population responsible for the actions of a tiny minority of that population unless the actions of that majority very directly drive the actions of the minority. So no, I will not blame all Irish or all Muslims.
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 24.08.2017, 11:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Not all food; there are a variety of tariffs depending on the the food type and class. For example, there is no tariff on Mangoes - you need to be more accurate with your posts!

Source
Yes, how many mango farmers do you see in the EU?

Green coffee is also exempt from tariffs, however roasted coffee is subject to a tariff of 7.5%. Meaning that EU can import cheap green coffee from Africa to process but doesn't want to have competition from Africa by allowing it to export processed coffee. Same goes for Cocoa.

So much for racism and ethnic diversity.

Quote:
View Post
Tariffs (in this case) balance the market, they dont prevent trade.
You are talking absolute bollocks.
Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 24.08.2017, 11:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,013 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, punishing the majority for the sins of a tiny minority is never a good strategy!
How tiny is it, does anyone even know that. Or wants to know...probably they do, but pete forbid that the general tax paying population knows the risks they will have to live with.

However. Nobody wants anyone who is not guilty of any act of terrorism to "pay". This is one of the favourite strategies to distort any critical discussion on a policy that most people (if they are to be open and honest about it) don't agree with. Imposing immigrants quotas without having any protocol implemented in order to protect own interests, just because Merkel, who is not even the jury head of EU, says so.

Isn't it ironic that you want to impose others what your native UK has brilliantly managed to avoid?

Again, I'm born in the '80s, never lived in London and don't relate to any of the experiences of a tiny minority with the Irish terrorism. However, I know that when "terrorism" started in the neighbouring countries, NATO just bombed the heck out of them. In order to avoid not punishing a tiny minority or terrorists, what for.

The hypocrisy.................please, carry on.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #427  
Old 24.08.2017, 11:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Merkel's going to win this thing a canter. The lack of decent opposition probably the main reason. Interesting will be what the turn out is (as it was in France), and also if she'll be able to hold things together and see out her term. Helmut Kohl saw things start to fall apart at this stage.
Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old 24.08.2017, 11:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 982
Groaned at 249 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 2,158 Times in 997 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, how many mango farmers do you see in the EU?

Green coffee is also exempt from tariffs, however roasted coffee is subject to a tariff of 7.5%. Meaning that EU can import cheap green coffee from Africa to process but doesn't want to have competition from Africa by allowing it to export processed coffee. Same goes for Cocoa.

So much for racism and ethnic diversity.



You are talking absolute bollocks.

Green coffee is a raw material. Roasted cofee is a processed material. Its pretty normal to have lower tariffs on raw materials, since they contribute to the economies of both areas, in a balanced manner. Processed materials really contribute only to the economy of the seller, and the contribution to the buyer is relatively small. Thats why there tends to be higher tariffs on processed materials.


Again, its a pretty standard thing and you would know this, if you did indeed have even the meanest understanding of how international trade actually works.


Prices for raw materials tend to be more volatile then the prices for finished products, too. adding % tariffs on volatile-priced materials magnifies the volatilitiy. This is particularly bad for the buying nation.


Its not racism; its the economy.
Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 24.08.2017, 11:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 982
Groaned at 249 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 2,158 Times in 997 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

That said, quite what the price of raw coffee has to do with ethnic diversity in Germany is a mystery.


Care to elaborate, loz?
Reply With Quote
  #430  
Old 24.08.2017, 11:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Green coffee is a raw material. Roasted cofee is a processed material. Its pretty normal to have lower tariffs on raw materials, since they contribute to the economies of both areas, in a balanced manner. Processed materials really contribute only to the economy of the seller, and the contribution to the buyer is relatively small. Thats why there tends to be higher tariffs on processed materials.


Again, its a pretty standard thing and you would know this, if you did indeed have even the meanest understanding of how international trade actually works.


Prices for raw materials tend to be more volatile then the prices for finished products, too. adding % tariffs on volatile-priced materials magnifies the volatilitiy. This is particularly bad for the buying nation.


Its not racism; its the economy.
Do you have ANY idea why tariffs are put in place. They're there, pure and simply to protect domestic industry and farming from cheap imports. By reducing tariffs, you create trade. If you cannot see this then you are too stupid to breath.
Reply With Quote
  #431  
Old 24.08.2017, 11:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 982
Groaned at 249 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 2,158 Times in 997 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Do you have ANY idea why tariffs are put in place. They're there, pure and simply to protect domestic industry and farming from cheap imports. By reducing tariffs, you create trade. If you cannot see this then you are too stupid to breath.

The phrase is 'too stupid to breathe'...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank J2488 for this useful post:
  #432  
Old 24.08.2017, 11:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 982
Groaned at 249 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 2,158 Times in 997 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Do you have ANY idea why tariffs are put in place. They're there, pure and simply to protect domestic industry and farming from cheap imports. By reducing tariffs, you create trade. If you cannot see this then you are too stupid to breath.

And wrong. One purpose of tariffs is to protect industry, but not the main purpose. If it was, there would be no such thing as a free trade agreement.


The main purpose is to balance trade. Its generally not a good thing for a country to have a vastly negative trade balance, because it means your industry is not manufacturing (enough). Manufacturing grounds an economy and supports other industries, so its important to have a solid manufacturing base in the country.


For example, Germany, which has a very good manufacturing base, was not as badly affected by the recession as other countries, such as greece, which have very poor manufacturing bases.


The main purpose of tariffs, therefore, is to ensure that trade is balanced, and thereby the economy is balanced.


An equivelent trade balance supports industry, thereby protecting it. Industry protection is the result of trade balance, which is influenced by tariffs. Not the other way around.
Reply With Quote
  #433  
Old 24.08.2017, 11:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 982
Groaned at 249 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 2,158 Times in 997 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

PS, other reason for tariffs include, but are not limited to:


-Protecting jobs,
-Supporting infant industries,
-retaliation,
-consumer protection against sub standard goods,
-Economic sanctions against foreign policy,
Reply With Quote
  #434  
Old 24.08.2017, 12:17
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,593
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,389 Times in 7,438 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Edeka opted to solely sell only German food for a day in order to make a powerful statement about racism and ethnic diversity. As a result, the shelves were practically empty.

Source

Good idea but sadly many people only see what they want to see
Fabulous!
Reply With Quote
  #435  
Old 24.08.2017, 12:27
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,216
Groaned at 388 Times in 268 Posts
Thanked 19,879 Times in 10,359 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Edeka opted to solely sell only German food for a day in order to make a powerful statement about racism and ethnic diversity. As a result, the shelves were practically empty.

Source

Good idea but sadly many people only see what they want to see
Like - self promotion, virtue signalling?

Is this a powerful statement about racism or that Edeka just imports cheaper products sweatshopped elsewhere instead of making local economy grow? Seriously, how dumb does Edeka think their customers are?

I have a citrus tree amongst my houseplants, I cannot wait for it to give me exotic fruits. I am so diversifying the planet.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #436  
Old 24.08.2017, 12:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,013 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
I have a citrus tree amongst my houseplants, I cannot wait for it to give me exotic fruits. I am so diversifying the planet.
I have a palm tree which won't give me anything apart from some vague aesthetic pleasure. In many years. Eh, top that!
Reply With Quote
  #437  
Old 24.08.2017, 12:43
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,554
Groaned at 470 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 19,349 Times in 10,216 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Like - self promotion, virtue signalling?

Is this a powerful statement about racism or that Edeka just imports cheaper products sweatshopped elsewhere instead of making local economy grow? Seriously, how dumb does Edeka think their customers are?

I have a citrus tree amongst my houseplants, I cannot wait for it to give me exotic fruits. I am so diversifying the planet.
Such businesses are consumer driven; if, for example, more people buy French cheese or wine (the well known sweat shopped industries) than German cheese then guess what is on the shelves?
If people want to buy German cheese then they go to shops that sell it; if enough of them do this then more shops will stock German cheese.

No supermarket will stock their shelves with products that do not sell
Reply With Quote
  #438  
Old 24.08.2017, 12:52
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,216
Groaned at 388 Times in 268 Posts
Thanked 19,879 Times in 10,359 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Such businesses are consumer driven; if, for example, more people buy French cheese or wine (the well known sweat shopped industries) than German cheese then guess what is on the shelves?
If people want to buy German cheese then they go to shops that sell it; if enough of them do this then more shops will stock German cheese.

No supermarket will stock their shelves with products that do not sell
If businesses are consumer driven - then the message they do is solely the message the consumer wants to hear. Nobody checks if it is true, of course. How can that be trusted? That's what I meant about virtue signalling in exchange for higher sales. It is the same with politics - politics is also consumer driven, obviously. I wonder also, what slack Edeka will win, with the political elite. Unfortunately - a person throwing himself to the Edeka door with a banner saying "do not trust a place that has a political message while needing your cash" will work. Not cool enough. Maybe a guy in a pussy hat might work.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #439  
Old 24.08.2017, 13:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,013 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Is this a powerful statement about racism or that Edeka just imports cheaper products sweatshopped elsewhere instead of making local economy grow?
Why ever, ever mention local economy when we are living in this wonderful, modern, fair and equalitarian world....
Right, I'll transform my Chinese beans into a nice Chili tonight, heard that no-where in Europe do they produce them...but Coop is always there, for me to have a choice.
(really have Chinese kidney beans at home I'm planning to cook lol)
Reply With Quote
  #440  
Old 24.08.2017, 13:04
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,554
Groaned at 470 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 19,349 Times in 10,216 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
If businesses are consumer driven - then the message they do is solely the message the consumer wants to hear. Nobody checks if it is true, of course. How can that be trusted? That's what I meant about virtue signalling in exchange for higher sales. It is the same with politics - politics is also consumer driven, obviously. I wonder also, what slack Edeka will win, with the political elite. Unfortunately - a person throwing himself to the Edeka door with a banner saying "do not trust a place that has a political message while needing your cash" will work. Not cool enough. Maybe a guy in a pussy hat might work.
My interest in Edeka (and similar) is in value for money.
They have a low sugar fruit Muesli which I like but am not really interested in their message.

The message from my Scottish friend is "why do you eat cold porridge"?

I know I quoted Edeka but simply because they underlined what a complex and multiply connected world we live in today. Nationalism is simply not realistic; we have to buy from our neighbours and sell to them.
To achieve that we must mix with them, understand them and share our space with them?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you do if you find a long hair in the plate in restaurant? happyrobbie Daily life 17 12.04.2014 02:44
This is what happens if you believe in scam mails k_and_e Daily life 4 22.03.2013 16:44
Do you believe in Extra-Terrestrial life? Lob General off-topic 46 19.11.2010 22:19
What do you believe? economisto International affairs/politics 79 13.05.2010 21:46
Bob Woolmer - Do you believe the new conclusions? chiguy Football/sports 7 25.10.2007 09:41


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0