Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #981  
Old 28.08.2018, 08:36
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,373
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
Rival protests have once again broken out in Chemnitz, a day after a deadly stabbing provoked an anti-immigrant demo. Chancellor Merkel condemned rioters who she said were "hunting down" foreigners.
https://www.dw.com/en/fresh-dueling-...itz/a-45242473

"Multi-culturalism" on full display in Germany ...
Reply With Quote
  #982  
Old 28.08.2018, 15:42
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,460
Groaned at 390 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,610 Times in 9,001 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
https://www.dw.com/en/fresh-dueling-...itz/a-45242473

"Multi-culturalism" on full display in Germany ...
Is the rumour true that the murdered man came from Cuba?
True "Multi-culturalism" ?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at marton for this post:
  #983  
Old 28.08.2018, 15:51
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,485 Times in 9,548 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Is the rumour true that the murdered man came from Cuba?
True "Multi-culturalism" ?
Why rumour?

It's been all over the so-called right wing news sources basically since it happened.

It's the more "Merkel friendly" news channels who can't palate the thought of right wingers protesting because a well integrated brown skinned man was murderd by a refugee. Therefore they conveniently ignore his ethnicity to make it look like a nazi thing.

And now that it's becomng more and more difficult to suppress, they talk of it being a rumour.

Yeah.

The bubble is a beautiful place, isn't it?

Name:  da_hil.JPG
Views: 247
Size:  26.1 KB

PS: the two alleged nazis who were injured trying to save his life were Rusiians by the way.

Last edited by amogles; 28.08.2018 at 16:02.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #984  
Old 28.08.2018, 16:30
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,460
Groaned at 390 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,610 Times in 9,001 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Why rumour?

It's been all over the so-called right wing news sources basically since it happened.

It's the more "Merkel friendly" news channels who can't palate the thought of right wingers protesting because a well integrated brown skinned man was murderd by a refugee. Therefore they conveniently ignore his ethnicity to make it look like a nazi thing.

And now that it's becomng more and more difficult to suppress, they talk of it being a rumour.

Yeah.

The bubble is a beautiful place, isn't it?

PS: the two alleged nazis who were injured trying to save his life were Rusiians by the way.
The first time FAZ mentioned his ethnicity was yesterday afternoon; you must read some extreme stuff
Reply With Quote
  #985  
Old 29.08.2018, 09:15
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 513
Groaned at 187 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

German lad gets stabbed by migrants, protest ensues and the leader of the country ignores the capital offence but condemns the protesters. "German democracy" 1930s translates pretty well to the modern version
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank parnell for this useful post:
  #986  
Old 29.08.2018, 09:49
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,485 Times in 9,548 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
German lad gets stabbed by migrants, protest ensues and the leader of the country ignores the capital offence but condemns the protesters. "German democracy" 1930s translates pretty well to the modern version
And the bulk of the German press machine backs Merkel's side of the story and are falling over one another to see who can condemn the protesters the harshest.

In the 1930s the nazis had to forcibly subvert the press to bring them into line. Today the press are singing the tune volunatrily.

Scary.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #987  
Old 29.08.2018, 20:47
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,373
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
And the bulk of the German press machine backs Merkel's side of the story and are falling over one another to see who can condemn the protesters the harshest.

When ANTIFA and radical Left "protest" and riot, the media basically gives them a pass or writes like they are "fighting injustics" or something. When far-right protest, they zoom in on a couple of guys throwing a nazi salute, and shout it from the roof-tops like the sky is falling. I'm not defending the nazi salute guy, but is he really any worse than the anti-capitalist guy who wants to overthrow the govt and bring in Communism?



Media is clearly slanted, to the point people don't really trust in anymore. On the other side, there is social media, but that often is just an echo chamber. There has got to be some new form of media on the horizon, something that shows both sides of the story.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank esto for this useful post:
  #988  
Old 30.08.2018, 11:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Media is clearly slanted, to the point people don't really trust in anymore. On the other side, there is social media, but that often is just an echo chamber. There has got to be some new form of media on the horizon, something that shows both sides of the story.
Germany needs an Alex Jones type who will tell it like it is
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #989  
Old 30.08.2018, 11:30
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,485 Times in 9,548 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Media is clearly slanted, to the point people don't really trust in anymore. On the other side, there is social media, but that often is just an echo chamber. There has got to be some new form of media on the horizon, something that shows both sides of the story.
Before you can tell both sides of the story so people can decide for themselves, you need to first of all acknowledge there is another side to the story. The German press is still light years from even contemplating that.

These days we have been seeing a lot of coverage of the anniversary of the Prague Spring. Two years ago was an anniversray of the Hungarian Uprising. An interesting point that is common to both events is that an important focus of the protesters was directed against the media, and that some of the most important events happened in or in the direct vicinity of the state radio or TV buildings.

Journalists don't learn from their collective past errors, apparently.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #990  
Old 30.08.2018, 11:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Germany needs an Alex Jones type who will tell it like it is
They tend to put you in prison in Germany for telling it like it is.
Reply With Quote
  #991  
Old 30.08.2018, 11:39
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,485 Times in 9,548 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
They tend to put you in prison in Germany for telling it like it is.
I don't think anybody has gone to prison quite yet, but there have been dawn raids against bloggers etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #992  
Old 30.08.2018, 13:03
Rob's Avatar
Rob Rob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Baden AG
Posts: 464
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,337 Times in 520 Posts
Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Germany needs an Alex Jones type who will tell it like it is


Yep I see what you mean.
Reply With Quote
  #993  
Old 30.08.2018, 13:44
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,460
Groaned at 390 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,610 Times in 9,001 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Germany needs an Alex Jones type who will tell it like it is
In fact his tells are often so accurate the he is regularly banned from social media
Reply With Quote
  #994  
Old 30.08.2018, 16:24
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,485 Times in 9,548 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
When ANTIFA and radical Left "protest" and riot, the media basically gives them a pass or writes like they are "fighting injustics" or something. When far-right protest, they zoom in on a couple of guys throwing a nazi salute, and shout it from the roof-tops like the sky is falling. I'm not defending the nazi salute guy, but is he really any worse than the anti-capitalist guy who wants to overthrow the govt and bring in Communism?
One guy is murdered. Another guy does a nazi salute.

The press thinks the nazi salute is more offensive than the murder.

This is in a nutshell what is wrong with Germany right now.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #995  
Old 30.08.2018, 16:32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
One guy is murdered. Another guy does a nazi salute.

The press thinks the nazi salute is more offensive than the murder.

This is in a nutshell what is wrong with Germany right now.
Everyone's enjoying getting their socks in a knot about this and the media is just playing on it. Why publish another "murder" story which dies away after a day when you can dog-whistle a whole load of attention if you put some "alt-right" spin on it?

Rumbles on for weeks! Clicks and shares a-go-go...
Reply With Quote
  #996  
Old 30.08.2018, 16:57
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,485 Times in 9,548 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
Everyone's enjoying getting their socks in a knot about this and the media is just playing on it. Why publish another "murder" story which dies away after a day when you can dog-whistle a whole load of attention if you put some "alt-right" spin on it?

Rumbles on for weeks! Clicks and shares a-go-go...
In other words, somebody being murdered by a refugee is already so normal that it's no longer really newsworthy.

Whereas somebody doing a natzi salute is apparently extremely newsworthy, implying that it doesn't happen very often.
Reply With Quote
  #997  
Old 30.08.2018, 17:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
In other words, somebody being murdered by a refugee is already so normal that it's no longer really newsworthy.
No. On newsworthy terms, he's just a bloke. Harsh as it sounds, it happens all the time around the globe. The fact it was a refugee that apparently did it is also not that newsworthy.

But, see how news travels when it's a child or a woman.

This is pretty messed up in itself but...

Quote:
View Post
Whereas somebody doing a nazi salute is apparently extremely newsworthy, implying that it doesn't happen very often.
Well, if you simplify it like that; yes and no. People can't get enough of this because it massages all their deep seated fears. Refugees getting away with murder, saviour alt-right under fire for something as "innocent" as a Nazi salute. Oh the injustice of it all!!

The truth is that people aren't getting away with murder but, as you can see from this forum, and I see from the media and social media platforms, various sectors of journalism are seeing an opportunity to yank everyone around on their chain.
Reply With Quote
  #998  
Old 30.08.2018, 17:42
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,485 Times in 9,548 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:

Well, if you simplify it like that; yes and no. People can't get enough of this because it massages all their deep seated fears. Refugees getting away with murder, saviour alt-right under fire for something as "innocent" as a Nazi salute. Oh the injustice of it all!!
It massages fears on both sides.

It also works people up by striking fear with stories of nazis in our midst. You should see some of the discussions on German sites. Plenty of people seem to believe that one guy doing a nazi salute is the same as Hitler personally rising from the grave and coming to power the very next day. It would be extremely comical if the topic wasn't as serious.

So a on event is basically calling every wanabee celebrioty and political pundit to come out with s lame condemnation completely ignoring that actually somebody was murdered. And that just maybe, seeing they are busy condemning things, they could in passing condemn that too. But no.


Quote:

The truth is that people aren't getting away with murder but, as you can see from this forum, and I see from the media and social media platforms, various sectors of journalism are seeing an opportunity to yank everyone around on their chain.
Which maybe you can't really blame them for. But at the same time the media (especially in Germany) keep on saying, we need to act responsibly and be balanced and provide quality and fact-based coverage. But when they have an opportuniyt to walk the talk, they don't.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #999  
Old 30.08.2018, 20:07
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 626
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 786 Times in 448 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

One guy doing the Nazi salute is not horrible.
One guy doing the Nazi salute and people not reacting is horrible.
Reply With Quote
  #1000  
Old 30.08.2018, 20:19
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,485 Times in 9,548 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
One guy doing the Nazi salute is not horrible.
One guy doing the Nazi salute and people not reacting is horrible.
Why is it than when, say, an extremist Muslim does something stupid, people say, don't react, you're only encouraging him and giving him the oxygen of publicity he craves for.

Yet when a nazi does something stupid, people say, it is horrible not to react. Let us shout it from the rooftops.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you do if you find a long hair in the plate in restaurant? happyrobbie Daily life 17 12.04.2014 02:44
This is what happens if you believe in scam mails k_and_e Daily life 4 22.03.2013 16:44
Do you believe in Extra-Terrestrial life? Lob General off-topic 46 19.11.2010 22:19
What do you believe? economisto International affairs/politics 79 13.05.2010 21:46
Bob Woolmer - Do you believe the new conclusions? chiguy Football/sports 7 25.10.2007 09:41


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0