English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   International affairs/politics (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/)
-   -   The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in CH (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/248156-brexit-referendum-thread-potential-consequences-gb-eu-brits-ch.html)

Guest 18.04.2019 09:49

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3062470)
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nigel-fara...121305784.html

Nigel Farage BREXIT party seems to be quite popular, more so than conservative or labour :D

Double digit gains in the space of a week. Ignoring the electorate has its consequences.

Nice to see Change UK doing so well :p

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4Y5mJQWwAAe2O9.jpg:small

fatmanfilms 18.04.2019 09:56

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

True, but it's a far cry from the pre-referendum bleating that member states were basically powerless within the EU.
Powerless to enact any change, which is the point :msnnerd:

marton 18.04.2019 10:17

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz1983 (Post 3062566)
Double digit gains in the space of a week. Ignoring the electorate has its consequences.

Nice to see Change UK doing so well :p

Biggest loser was the UKIP, from largest share of the vote to the smallest; how/when did they ignore the electorate?

Guest 18.04.2019 10:20

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by marton (Post 3062576)
Biggest loser was the UKIP, from largest share of the vote to the smallest; how/when did they ignore the electorate?

Since the party got infiltrated and taken over by right wing thugs.

Fish Paste 18.04.2019 10:28

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz1983 (Post 3062566)
Ignoring the electorate has its consequences.


Well it will be interesting.


All things being equal, you would expect a massive win for Remain, however it's only BREXIT and the LibDems that have a clear message.
Lab/Con etc are more on the fence. Why vote Ukip when you can vote BREXIT?



Let's see if Remain voters are going to get behind the LibDems, or stay divided.

SponPlague 18.04.2019 10:41

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by curley (Post 3062438)
It does, I'm only on page 667.

Better than Brexit on page 666 🤣

greenmount 18.04.2019 11:06

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz1983 (Post 3062577)
Since the party got infiltrated and taken over by right wing thugs.

They already had the biggest right wing thug of the decade, how's that even possible?

Seriously, I am not totally against UK getting out of EU as long as this is what most people want. However, the fascist style campaigning which has preceded (and lead to) Brexit, which is prevalent as an anti-foreigner, anti-EU discourse even among a highly educated, highly payed group of British expats like this one (mostly) is unacceptable. The history will no be kind with you. I know people who already study Brexit in sociology and marketing courses.

Urs Max 18.04.2019 11:07

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3062470)
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nigel-fara...121305784.html

Nigel Farage BREXIT party seems to be quite popular, more so than conservative or labour :D

It would be interesting to see what would happen if they came out of a GE with the most votes and MPs (I'm postulating they will run). Or if they even got the majority.

Can anybody see HRM task Farage with forming the government? Farage for PM?

As for the "constitutional" aspect, doesn't tasking Farage require the recommendation by the MP, presumably the leaving MP? Could May decide to recommend someone else? How does that work?

Guest 18.04.2019 11:08

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmount (Post 3062598)
They already had the biggest right wing thug of the decade, how's that even possible?

They didn't have the delightful Tommy Robinson in those days. He makes Farage appear to be a tree-hugging, sandal-wearing socialist hippy.

fatmanfilms 18.04.2019 11:43

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urs Max (Post 3062599)
It would be interesting to see what would happen if they came out of a GE with the most votes and MPs (I'm postulating they will run). Or if they even got the majority.

Can anybody see HRM task Farage with forming the government? Farage for PM?

Yes it's very possible, I said so earlier in the thread.

Guest 18.04.2019 11:59

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Good to see the batteries are recharged after our brief hiatus and that we've got back to peak levels of mental.

fatmanfilms 18.04.2019 12:28

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Good to see the batteries are recharged after our brief hiatus and that we've got back to peak levels of mental.
Personally I am more interested in the election results, actually I need a holiday after 3 months skiing. :D

Guest 18.04.2019 12:50

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Good to see the batteries are recharged after our brief hiatus and that we've got back to peak levels of mental.
I love that sentence so much..

Might rob it and use as my signature. :D

SponPlague 18.04.2019 13:57

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urs Max (Post 3062599)
It would be interesting to see what would happen if they came out of a GE with the most votes and MPs (I'm postulating they will run). Or if they even got the majority.

Can anybody see HRM task Farage with forming the government? Farage for PM?

As for the "constitutional" aspect, doesn't tasking Farage require the recommendation by the MP, presumably the leaving MP? Could May decide to recommend someone else? How does that work?

It probably won’t happen due to “first-past-the-post” - when even Nick Clegg concedes UKIP voters got a raw deal in 2015, you know something’s wrong with the system...

Urs Max 18.04.2019 17:16

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

It probably won’t happen due to “first-past-the-post” - when even Nick Clegg concedes UKIP voters got a raw deal in 2015, you know something’s wrong with the system...
What happened back then? No idea what to search for.

lewton 18.04.2019 17:35

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Whatever percentage of the vote Farage ends up receiving, that is the percentage of British people that want to see Hard Brexit.
I don't understand why hard-core Brexiteers like Loz would be happy with a projected 30-35%, that clearly means that the majority do not want Hard Brexit.

SponPlague 18.04.2019 19:27

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urs Max (Post 3062723)
What happened back then? No idea what to search for.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/76...eral-Democrats

Quote:

and I think it is an absolute travesty that four million people voted for Ukip at the last election and all they got was Douglas Carswell.

John William 19.04.2019 10:26

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3062628)
Personally I am more interested in the election results, actually I need a holiday after 3 months skiing. :D

Personally I'm more interested in the level of protests in the UK against Britain not leaving the EU
as planned versus those that are out on the streets protesting against climate change in the
Extinction Rebellion which so far is 'no contest' with the Extinction Rebellion streets ahead of
anything the Brexiteers can muster in the form of protests in the UK.

Maybe most Brits in the UK don't care whether they remain in the EU now and the will of the
people has shifted to concerns on climate change ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47974244

Guest 19.04.2019 10:50

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John William (Post 3062827)
Personally I'm more interested in the level of protests in the UK against Britain not leaving the EU
as planned versus those that are out on the streets protesting against climate change in the
Extinction Rebellion which so far is 'no contest' with the Extinction Rebellion streets ahead of
anything the Brexiteers can muster in the form of protests in the UK.

Maybe most Brits in the UK don't care whether they remain in the EU now and the will of the
people has shifted to concerns on climate change ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47974244

Protesting in the streets is a middle class pastime, hence the large numbers of protesters involved in middle class pet topics.

Normal people are too busy working, looking after their kids, enjoying the company of their friends to bother with such futile endeavours.

Jim2007 19.04.2019 11:00

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in
 
Quote:

Normal people are too busy working, looking after their kids, enjoying the company of their friends to bother with such futile endeavours.
Right so you don't think the average person is not concerned about climate change, human rights etc..... pretty poor view of your fellow citizens, don't you think?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:47.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0