Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #20821  
Old 11.07.2019, 11:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
...and we know that both The Donald and Boris are obsessed with details....
Not aimed at you directly, but these continued comparisons between Boris Johnson and Trump are getting out of hand. Itís being normalised by the MSM, I even watched a piece on ZDF last night saying how the two are so alike. You donít have to like BoJo to see that the Trump comparisons are ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #20822  
Old 11.07.2019, 11:38
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,996
Groaned at 216 Times in 183 Posts
Thanked 21,263 Times in 9,050 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Not aimed at you directly, but these continued comparisons between Boris Johnson and Trump are getting out of hand. It’s being normalised by the MSM, I even watched a piece on ZDF last night saying how the two are so alike. You don’t have to like BoJo to see that the Trump comparisons are ridiculous.
ZDF also did a piece once making out Teresa May was very like Margaret Thatcher (somebody ZDF absolutely despises, almost down there on the level of a female Hitler). It just shows the level of hackjob they will descend to. And of course they fail to see the irony that if May had actually acted a bit more like Thatcher, we probably wouldn't have got into this mess in the first place.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #20823  
Old 11.07.2019, 11:50
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 14,047
Groaned at 130 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 26,866 Times in 10,286 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Not aimed at you directly, but these continued comparisons between Boris Johnson and Trump are getting out of hand. Itís being normalised by the MSM, I even watched a piece on ZDF last night saying how the two are so alike. You donít have to like BoJo to see that the Trump comparisons are ridiculous.
Of course you can make comparisons. Saying there is none at all is equally ridiculous and naive, because comparisons do exist.

There are probably more similarities between Trump and Farage, to be fair.
Reply With Quote
  #20824  
Old 11.07.2019, 12:21
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 205
Groaned at 19 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 311 Times in 176 Posts
John William has earned the respect of manyJohn William has earned the respect of manyJohn William has earned the respect of many
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Of course you can make comparisons. Saying there is none at all is equally ridiculous and naive, because comparisons do exist.

There are probably more similarities between Trump and Farage, to be fair.
Trump and BoJo are chips off the same block as far as their buffoonery and gaffes are concerned with
Farage acting as always, as The Joker.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John William for this useful post:
  #20825  
Old 11.07.2019, 12:48
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,258 Times in 5,645 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Trump and BoJo are chips off the same block as far as their buffoonery and gaffes are concerned with
Farage acting as always, as The Joker.
boris acts the fool, trump is one
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #20826  
Old 11.07.2019, 17:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,774
Groaned at 265 Times in 227 Posts
Thanked 9,314 Times in 4,908 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
And of course they fail to see the irony that if May had actually acted a bit more like Thatcher, we probably wouldn't have got into this mess in the first place.
A contradiction in itself as it's Thatcher herself who got the UK into the EU in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #20827  
Old 11.07.2019, 19:41
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,527
Groaned at 247 Times in 200 Posts
Thanked 16,154 Times in 6,672 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
A contradiction in itself as it's Thatcher herself who got the UK into the EU in the first place.
Yes, I remember when she was Prime Minister in 1973 and ordered the UK to join the EEC ... a position which was confirmed by a referendum with a resounding majority a couple of years later, by the way. Oh, and also when she was PM in 1993, when the EU was formed out of the EEC.
Reply With Quote
  #20828  
Old 11.07.2019, 23:13
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,605
Groaned at 153 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 6,741 Times in 2,886 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Not aimed at you directly, but these continued comparisons between Boris Johnson and Trump are getting out of hand. Itís being normalised by the MSM, I even watched a piece on ZDF last night saying how the two are so alike. You donít have to like BoJo to see that the Trump comparisons are ridiculous.
May I enquire as to what we are allowed to compare?

You can compare anything (to anything!), to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Look, I'm comparing Boris to Hitler...Boris isn't as bad...see, that wasn't so painful.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #20829  
Old 11.07.2019, 23:33
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. ZŁrich
Posts: 10,719
Groaned at 362 Times in 312 Posts
Thanked 14,437 Times in 7,915 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Not aimed at you directly, but these continued comparisons between Boris Johnson and Trump are getting out of hand. Itís being normalised by the MSM, I even watched a piece on ZDF last night saying how the two are so alike. You donít have to like BoJo to see that the Trump comparisons are ridiculous.
There is one very strong similarity between Boris Johnson and Trump; neither of them believe in anything - they just support whatever will benefit them politically; even if that contradicts what they did yesterday.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #20830  
Old 11.07.2019, 23:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
May I enquire as to what we are allowed to compare?

You can compare anything (to anything!), to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Look, I'm comparing Boris to Hitler...Boris isn't as bad...see, that wasn't so painful.
You can compare what you want, my point is when supposed respected news outlets (and MPs, commentators etc.) are telling their consumers that they should be wary because Trump and Boris are cut from the same cloth, then it's time to stop taking them seriously.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #20831  
Old 11.07.2019, 23:38
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. ZŁrich
Posts: 10,719
Groaned at 362 Times in 312 Posts
Thanked 14,437 Times in 7,915 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You can compare what you want, my point is when supposed respected news outlets (and MPs, commentators etc.) are telling their consumers that they should be wary because Trump and Boris are cut from the same cloth, then it's time to stop taking them seriously.
I never did take Trump and Boris seriously
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #20832  
Old 12.07.2019, 01:19
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,996
Groaned at 216 Times in 183 Posts
Thanked 21,263 Times in 9,050 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
There is one very strong similarity between Boris Johnson and Trump; neither of them believe in anything - they just support whatever will benefit them politically; even if that contradicts what they did yesterday.
A trait they hold in common with about 99 % of politicians worldwide.
Reply With Quote
  #20833  
Old 12.07.2019, 08:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 8,465
Groaned at 271 Times in 220 Posts
Thanked 11,217 Times in 5,949 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You can compare what you want, my point is when supposed respected news outlets (and MPs, commentators etc.) are telling their consumers that they should be wary because Trump and Boris are cut from the same cloth, then it's time to stop taking them seriously.
Maybe that's the truth, even if you can't accept it. They're both some sort of populistic clowns, no?

I mean seriously, what's in it for you to defend this Boris so much and recommend precaution with the media, you of all people, Loz? Seriously? Doesn't come in handy only when it suits you? Just saying.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #20834  
Old 12.07.2019, 09:01
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,895
Groaned at 128 Times in 113 Posts
Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,607 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Yes, I remember when she was Prime Minister in 1973 and ordered the UK to join the EEC ... a position which was confirmed by a referendum with a resounding majority a couple of years later, by the way. Oh, and also when she was PM in 1993, when the EU was formed out of the EEC.
True and true although for part 1 she was a member of the government concerned.

Although it is worth remembering she was one of the main drivers behind the Single Market and that the Single European Act came from her time as PM.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #20835  
Old 12.07.2019, 09:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Maybe that's the truth, even if you can't accept it. They're both some sort of populistic clowns, no?

I mean seriously, what's in it for you to defend this Boris so much and recommend precaution with the media, you of all people, Loz? Seriously? Doesn't come in handy only when it suits you? Just saying.
Saying that a comparison is faulty is not the same as defending them. You joining Sandgrounder in the “I’m going to put words in your mouth” club?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #20836  
Old 12.07.2019, 09:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,513
Groaned at 150 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 4,486 Times in 1,723 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Maybe that's the truth, even if you can't accept it. They're both some sort of populistic clowns, no?

I mean seriously, what's in it for you to defend this Boris so much and recommend precaution with the media, you of all people, Loz? Seriously? Doesn't come in handy only when it suits you? Just saying.
No, they aren't. Donald Trump is, by most reckoning, populist, and possibly a clown depending on your criteria for clownship. Boris is not though, and that you think he is a clown shows you fall in line wiht many people who a taken by his bumbling buffoon act. He is astute and calculating, not necessarily good things, but I definitely wouldnt put him in the camp of clown, because he knows what he is doing.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #20837  
Old 12.07.2019, 11:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: KŁsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,225
Groaned at 89 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 8,985 Times in 4,119 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Just wondering if I'm the only one here joining the dots lately? For those of a more curious mind...

Lega's alleged connections to Russia under investigation.
Isabel Oakshott's 'leak' r.e. British Ambassador
Her connections to Arron Banks and Lord Ashcroft.
The peculiar locations of Lord Ashcroft's yachts.
Etc...etc...etc...

Nothing to see here and no comparisons to be made.
Reply With Quote
  #20838  
Old 12.07.2019, 11:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Just wondering if I'm the only one here joining the dots lately? For those of a more curious mind...

Lega's alleged connections to Russia under investigation.
Isabel Oakshott's 'leak' r.e. British Ambassador
Her connections to Arron Banks and Lord Ashcroft.
The peculiar locations of Lord Ashcroft's yachts.
Etc...etc...etc...

Nothing to see here and no comparisons to be made.
You and Crazy Cat Woman makes two.
Reply With Quote
  #20839  
Old 12.07.2019, 12:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: KŁsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,225
Groaned at 89 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 8,985 Times in 4,119 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You and Crazy Cat Woman makes two.
Who is crazy cat woman? I heard from a solicitor friend in the UK who's been following the activities of Arron Banks.
Reply With Quote
  #20840  
Old 12.07.2019, 14:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,513
Groaned at 150 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 4,486 Times in 1,723 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Who is crazy cat woman? I heard from a solicitor friend in the UK who's been following the activities of Arron Banks.
I heard from a UK colleague who is well up in these things, that it was The Lib Dems who organized the leak. a low blow.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0