Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21301  
Old 18.08.2019, 22:18
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Zürich
Posts: 901
Groaned at 84 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 1,192 Times in 581 Posts
YuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

It was actually accepted, but NOTHING like the foreign press was reporting, with tons of reasons why someone doesn't get deport, and so on.

But then, people that deserve deportation can't get deported anyway ("Humanitarian reasons") - like the 50 year old Iraqi guy who is living here on a B visum, been on social benefits all his time here, and just almost killed his own daughter..

As simple as that, "Project Fear" does exist here as well and is ALWAYS used at any referendum.

Here it was that two speeding tickets would get a well integrated person deported, which was far from the truth.

Problem in Switzerland is that whatever you do, you get the same social benefits.

No matter if you're a 58 year old Swiss who worked his whole life till 52, lost his job, and couldn't safe much from his low-earning job, eventually running out of funds at 58, or if you're a 25 year old that simply doesn't want to work and will be happily living on Social benefits (which are basically FLAT+Insurances(all incl)+larger expenses+almost 1000 CHF tax free for food/travel per month)

Switzerland has been way too soft to those that don't earn/require it, and way too hard to those that would need it's support.
Reply With Quote
  #21302  
Old 18.08.2019, 22:34
BLP's Avatar
BLP BLP is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,153
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 588 Times in 366 Posts
BLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It was actually accepted, but NOTHING like the foreign press was reporting, with tons of reasons why someone doesn't get deport, and so on.

But then, people that deserve deportation can't get deported anyway ("Humanitarian reasons") - like the 50 year old Iraqi guy who is living here on a B visum, been on social benefits all his time here, and just almost killed his own daughter..

As simple as that, "Project Fear" does exist here as well and is ALWAYS used at any referendum.

Here it was that two speeding tickets would get a well integrated person deported, which was far from the truth.

Problem in Switzerland is that whatever you do, you get the same social benefits.

No matter if you're a 58 year old Swiss who worked his whole life till 52, lost his job, and couldn't safe much from his low-earning job, eventually running out of funds at 58, or if you're a 25 year old that simply doesn't want to work and will be happily living on Social benefits (which are basically FLAT+Insurances(all incl)+larger expenses+almost 1000 CHF tax free for food/travel per month)

Switzerland has been way too soft to those that don't earn/require it, and way too hard to those that would need it's support.
I don't see it the same way. I applied for social benefits as I have a non-paying ex. He is breaking the law by not paying, why I have no permit and money issues. I was told to go back to my own country and everything was refused.

So I didn't find them very helpful.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BLP for this useful post:
  #21303  
Old 19.08.2019, 00:23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 333
Groaned at 35 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 773 Times in 395 Posts
John William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It was actually accepted, but NOTHING like the foreign press was reporting, with tons of reasons why someone doesn't get deport, and so on.

But then, people that deserve deportation can't get deported anyway ("Humanitarian reasons") - like the 50 year old Iraqi guy who is living here on a B visum, been on social benefits all his time here, and just almost killed his own daughter..

As simple as that, "Project Fear" does exist here as well and is ALWAYS used at any referendum.

Here it was that two speeding tickets would get a well integrated person deported, which was far from the truth.

Problem in Switzerland is that whatever you do, you get the same social benefits.

No matter if you're a 58 year old Swiss who worked his whole life till 52, lost his job, and couldn't safe much from his low-earning job, eventually running out of funds at 58, or if you're a 25 year old that simply doesn't want to work and will be happily living on Social benefits (which are basically FLAT+Insurances(all incl)+larger expenses+almost 1000 CHF tax free for food/travel per month)

Switzerland has been way too soft to those that don't earn/require it, and way too hard to those that would need it's support.
Too right it seems to happen the world over where it's the unassuming innocent bystander who tends
to get clobbered by such laws.

By clobbering the innocents who might have stepped out of line one day, they hope to set an example
to the worst perpetrators who always get away with it.
Being an easy target and unlikely to kick up a fuss like the 50 year old Iraqi guy example, with a host of
human rights activists and lawyers to back him up.
Reply With Quote
  #21304  
Old 19.08.2019, 00:30
BLP's Avatar
BLP BLP is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,153
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 588 Times in 366 Posts
BLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Too right it seems to happen the world over where it's the unassuming innocent bystander who tends
to get clobbered by such laws.

By clobbering the innocents who might have stepped out of line one day, they hope to set an example
to the worst perpetrators who always get away with it.
Being an easy target and unlikely to kick up a fuss like the 50 year old Iraqi guy example, with a host of
human rights activists and lawyers to back him up.
I have been told if I was a different demographic I would have gotten a permit more easily. Not sure if this is true, but it's one of those times that being white/british was not a bonus
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BLP for this useful post:
  #21305  
Old 19.08.2019, 14:44
Merrylegs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vaud/Valais
Posts: 999
Groaned at 31 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,320 Times in 583 Posts
Merrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Operation Yellowhammer - "a litttle bit of bread and no cheese" - could happen if Brexit fails!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Merrylegs for this useful post:
  #21306  
Old 19.08.2019, 14:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Operation Yellowhammer - "a litttle bit of bread and no cheese" - could happen if Brexit fails!
The very same Leavers who were swallowing all the referendum fantasy unicorn guff as if it were unassailable fact, are now squawking that the Yellowhammer report is all fabricated scare-mongering, without a trace of self-irony...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #21307  
Old 19.08.2019, 15:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 545
Groaned at 63 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,131 Times in 646 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Home Secretary Priti Patel has plans for EU nationals if there's a no-deal Brexit.

UK to end freedom of movement for EU citizens on day one of Brexit, under new government plan

Quote:
Free movement for EU citizens will end on day one of a no-deal Brexit, under new Home Office plans – despite warnings of chaos and of people trapped in legal limbo.

Priti Patel, the new hardline home secretary, is pressing for border restrictions to be imposed immediately on 31 October, even though no replacement system is ready, The Independent has been told.
...
The Liberal Democrats condemned the acceleration as “brutal”, warning it exposed Ms Patel as being “completely detached from reality”.

And the organisation representing more than 3 million EU citizens in the UK said: “This will open the door to discrimination. There are no systems in place.”
Doesn't surprise me. She seems to be a fully paid-up member of the nasty party.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Reb77Br for this useful post:
  #21308  
Old 19.08.2019, 15:40
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 141 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Free movement for EU citizens will end
Isn't that part of the reason for Brexit anyway?!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Clocker for this useful post:
  #21309  
Old 19.08.2019, 16:46
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 545
Groaned at 63 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,131 Times in 646 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Isn't that part of the reason for Brexit anyway?!
Yes, I suppose it was, but it wasn't what Theresa May was promising. This BBC article is more informative than the one from the Independent I linked to above:

Brexit: Freedom of movement 'will end' says the government

Quote:
Theresa May's government had considered extending freedom of movement to 2021 or allowing EU citizens to stay in the UK for three months before having to apply for a longer stay.

However both those options have now been dropped, in favour of a new approach which will be set out later.
But a harsher government policy should please those Brexit voters who were claiming on social media to be against the "racist" EU migration setup and in favour of closer ties with "the Commonwealth". Er... did that mean they wanted to welcome more immigrants from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nigeria, or more from Australia, New Zealand and Canada? Difficult one!
Reply With Quote
  #21310  
Old 19.08.2019, 16:48
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,232
Groaned at 200 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 6,780 Times in 3,045 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Isn't that part of the reason for Brexit anyway?!
Well it begs the question what happens to the proposed agreement with Switzerland, is Boris going to honor the agreement from May’s government? Or are their going to be problems for people here come 1st of Nov?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #21311  
Old 19.08.2019, 16:55
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 141 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
it wasn't what Theresa May was promising.
What the former PM was promising and the actual reality of the situation are though two entirely different things.

Quote:
View Post
Well it begs the question what happens to the proposed agreement with Switzerland, is Boris going to honor the agreement from May’s government? Or are their going to be problems for people here come 1st of Nov?
True. However, it is a separate issue. Once the UK is out, anything regarding movement of citizens between UK and CH will have nothing to do with the EU in any case. The sooner CH halts freedom of movement too, the better.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Clocker for this useful post:
  #21312  
Old 19.08.2019, 17:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,850
Groaned at 182 Times in 136 Posts
Thanked 5,114 Times in 2,422 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Well it begs the question what happens to the proposed agreement with Switzerland, is Boris going to honor the agreement from May’s government? Or are their going to be problems for people here come 1st of Nov?
I thought that deal was contingent on leaving with a deal. While I doubt the Swiss will change things too much for existing Brit Permit holders, things could be more difficult for those wishing to come here.
Reply With Quote
  #21313  
Old 19.08.2019, 17:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The sooner CH halts freedom of movement too, the better.
Would that be the same Freedom of Movement that brought you here in Jan 2019?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #21314  
Old 19.08.2019, 17:10
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 141 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Would that be the same Freedom of Movement that brought you here in Jan 2019?
I arrived before freedom of movement even started so it has no bearing. Many here will be in a similar situation. We didn't all arrive with the last shower.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Clocker for this useful post:
  #21315  
Old 19.08.2019, 17:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I arrived before freedom of movement even started so it has no bearing. Many here will be in a similar situation. We didn't all arrive with the last shower.
...and it took you 30 years to find the forum. My word, what were you doing with your free time?
Reply With Quote
  #21316  
Old 19.08.2019, 17:18
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 141 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
30 years
Freedom of movement between CH and the EU did NOT start 30 years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #21317  
Old 19.08.2019, 17:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Freedom of movement between CH and the EU did NOT start 30 years ago.
It started 20 years ago (agreed 20, actually began 17), but you've been here much longer than that, by the sounds of it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #21318  
Old 19.08.2019, 17:25
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 141 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
It started 20 years ago (agreed 20, actually began 17), but you've been here much longer than that, by the sounds of it.
So, there is a huge difference between 30 and 17 years of it being in force and what I was doing in my free time in Switzerland from 2002 until 2018 is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote
  #21319  
Old 19.08.2019, 17:26
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,425
Groaned at 413 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 19,389 Times in 10,414 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
It started 20 years ago (agreed 20, actually began 17), but you've been here much longer than that, by the sounds of it.
I got my second C permit about then, originally a B was for 1 year & a C was for 3.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #21320  
Old 19.08.2019, 17:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So, there is a huge difference between 30 and 17 years of it being in force and what I was doing in my free time in Switzerland from 2002 until 2018 is irrelevant.
Well quite. Which brings me onto my real point which I have been reeling you towards.

It strikes me as odd you didn't find this place for ~20 years, and then have been posting 100 posts a month ever since. Very convenient.

Are you sure we haven't met before?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 16 (1 members and 15 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0