Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #23501  
Old 19.10.2019, 20:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 10,735
Groaned at 668 Times in 486 Posts
Thanked 14,570 Times in 7,619 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Quote:
Well the rebate is already gone as of the next budget period regardless of whether the U.K. revokes A50 or not.
Got a link for that?

The proposed/budgeted Ä12bln from the UK for 2020 is roughly the same as this year.
Still waiting.
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #23502  
Old 19.10.2019, 21:03
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,365
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
"Narrow preconceptions"? Oh right, have it your way: the Tory party is packed full of doughty yeomen of the soil and mill who have made their way to the top by the sweat of their brow and sheer determination.

Happy now?
I think in many cases people are successful by being lucky but more importantly being persistent, as your chance of luck increases the more times you try. No doubt will say that it's the upbringing that gives the confidence to be persistent!
Terribly intelligent well educated people have a sense of entitlement & that is often the reason they fail to achieve very much in life.
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23503  
Old 19.10.2019, 21:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think in many cases people are successful by being lucky but more importantly being persistent, as your chance of luck increases the more times you try. No doubt will say that it's the upbringing that gives the confidence to be persistent!
Terribly intelligent well educated people have a sense of entitlement & that is often the reason they fail to achieve very much in life.
I suspect that being born into a family with lots of connections and an existing base of wealth, along with having the kind of education which further improves one's chances of making good connections has as much to do with "making it" as any kind of persistence.

It's interesting how many of my posh friends were able to take creative risks because they had a network to fall back on. That isn't available to most people, which is why lower middle and working class kids are always encouraged to go for modest, low-paying jobs with a decent chance of job security, rather than swanning off and opening diving schools in the Seychelles or selling scented candles in Camden.

In other words: the Tory narrative of "hard work and persistence" is bullshit unless one has the background to pull it off.
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #23504  
Old 19.10.2019, 21:41
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,365
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
I suspect that being born into a family with lots of connections and an existing base of wealth, along with having the kind of education which further improves one's chances of making good connections has as much to do with "making it" as any kind of persistence.

It's interesting how many of my posh friends were able to take creative risks because they had a network to fall back on. That isn't available to most people, which is why lower middle and working class kids are always encouraged to go for modest, low-paying jobs with a decent chance of job security, rather than swanning off and opening diving schools in the Seychelles or selling scented candles in Camden.

In other words: the Tory narrative of "hard work and persistence" is bullshit unless one has the background to pull it off.
Have you ever tried to set up any sort of business, it's much harder than a job as you will be likely working 15 hours a day 7 days a week.
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23505  
Old 19.10.2019, 21:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
I suspect that being born into a family with lots of connections and an existing base of wealth, along with having the kind of education which further improves one's chances of making good connections has as much to do with "making it" as any kind of persistence.

It's interesting how many of my posh friends were able to take creative risks because they had a network to fall back on. That isn't available to most people, which is why lower middle and working class kids are always encouraged to go for modest, low-paying jobs with a decent chance of job security, rather than swanning off and opening diving schools in the Seychelles or selling scented candles in Camden.

In other words: the Tory narrative of "hard work and persistence" is bullshit unless one has the background to pull it off.
This. Art History at St Andrews must be full of students who don't need to work but fancy swanning about in auction houses. Don't get me started on the system of unpaid internships in expensive cities. You need one hell of a support system to be able to do that.
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #23506  
Old 19.10.2019, 21:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think in many cases people are successful by being lucky but more importantly being persistent, as your chance of luck increases the more times you try. No doubt will say that it's the upbringing that gives the confidence to be persistent!
Terribly intelligent well educated people have a sense of entitlement & that is often the reason they fail to achieve very much in life.
Interesting take on education you have there seeing as Toby Young’s dad, the Baron Michael Young seemed to think education important enough to use his privileged background and influence to get his dumbo offspring into Trinity College. How lucky he must have felt.

Not much beats having toff rellies to steer your luck for you, right?
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #23507  
Old 19.10.2019, 21:45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Have you ever tried to set up any sort of business, it's much harder than a job as you will be likely working 15 hours a day 7 days a week.
More to the point, it's a risk which most people without that big fat cushion underneath them cannot afford to take.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #23508  
Old 19.10.2019, 21:46
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,365
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Interesting take on education you have there seeing as Toby Youngís dad, the Baron Michael Young seemed to think education important enough to use his privileged background and influence to get his dumbo offspring into Trinity College. How lucky he must have felt.

Not much beats having toff rellies to steer your luck for you, right?
Did the dumbo offspring get a degree from Trinity?
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23509  
Old 19.10.2019, 21:48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Did the dumbo offspring get a degree from Trinity?
Iíd be surprised if he didnít. Iím sure the Baron ensured those wheels were also sufficiently greased.
  #23510  
Old 19.10.2019, 21:50
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,365
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
More to the point, it's a risk which most people without that big fat cushion underneath them cannot afford to take.
I think you have a point, however it's risk aversion rather than anything else. Many people think the stock market is too risky. Personally stock market returns over the last 10 years exceed earnings from over 36 years work.
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23511  
Old 19.10.2019, 21:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think you have a point, however it's risk aversion rather than anything else. Many people think the stock market is too risky. Personally stock market returns over the last 10 years exceed earnings from over 36 years work.
Yeah, people without a safety net tend to be averse to falling onto concrete. Strange, that, isn't it?
  #23512  
Old 19.10.2019, 21:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Name:  72676808_2859682550709033_4714272020961951744_o.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  16.0 KB
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #23513  
Old 19.10.2019, 21:56
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,365
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Iíd be surprised if he didnít. Iím sure the Baron ensured those wheels were also sufficiently greased.
I don't believe he could have any influence of their degree form Trinity.
His offspring were not as dumb as you think, intrigued to know the A level results.

I do know a Canadian who got accepted by Girton due to a connection, however he did not complete the first year as he could not cut it.
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23514  
Old 19.10.2019, 22:00
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,365
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Yeah, people without a safety net tend to be averse to falling onto concrete. Strange, that, isn't it?
Plenty of people who have been bankrupt go on to have very successful business's. Conviction that you will succeed in the end is the way to success.

Wealth rarely lasts for 3 generations, the second generation are lazy good for nothings who waste all of the money.

Generally self made wealthy people have always lived below their means, this gave them the ability to be wealthy.
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23515  
Old 19.10.2019, 22:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Plenty of people who have been bankrupt go on to have very successful business's. Conviction that you will succeed in the end is the way to success.
Also, knowing lots of people with influence, having a known name, being able to rely on Roger from the rowing club. It's easy to have conviction of future success when one is swimming in social capital.

Quote:
Generally self made wealthy people have always lived below their means, this gave them the ability to be wealthy.
Again, it's easy to slum it for a bit if you know you won't always have to. I have known plenty of people who have taken the risk and lived in self-imposed poverty for a while because they knew they had a way out of it. It isn't so easy when there's no clear route out of it.
  #23516  
Old 19.10.2019, 22:26
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,365
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Also, knowing lots of people with influence, having a known name, being able to rely on Roger from the rowing club. It's easy to have conviction of future success when one is swimming in social capital.



Again, it's easy to slum it for a bit if you know you won't always have to. I have known plenty of people who have taken the risk and lived in self-imposed poverty for a while because they knew they had a way out of it. It isn't so easy when there's no clear route out of it.
I think you underestimate the skills required to set up a successful business, you just need to watch the 'Apprentice' to see how totally incompetent most people are, many of those people have quite good jobs.
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23517  
Old 19.10.2019, 22:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 9,661
Groaned at 354 Times in 273 Posts
Thanked 21,972 Times in 7,783 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
In other words: the Tory narrative of "hard work and persistence" is bullshit unless one has the background to pull it off.
Hard work and persistence are actually key ingredients of success in any possible field of work. Don't be misled by it being used as a political slogan.
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #23518  
Old 19.10.2019, 22:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think you underestimate the skills required to set up a successful business, you just need to watch the 'Apprentice' to see how totally incompetent most people are, many of those people have quite good jobs.
Are you deliberately missing the point?
  #23519  
Old 19.10.2019, 22:36
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,365
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Are you deliberately missing the point?
No, not at all, are you?
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23520  
Old 19.10.2019, 22:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think you underestimate the skills required to set up a successful business, you just need to watch the 'Apprentice' to see how totally incompetent most people are, many of those people have quite good jobs.
Does anyone actually still believe that the Apprentice is real, never mind count it as a barometer for business people?
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
Closed Thread

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 9 (0 members and 9 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 07:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 14:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 19:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 21:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 11:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0