Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #23661  
Old 20.10.2019, 17:51
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,118
Groaned at 53 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 6,360 Times in 2,428 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I notice that 83% of UK student loans will never be paid back in full. 40% earning less than £25,000 5 years later. Clearly about half the further education budget is totally wasted.
Not sure I understood what you mean here..
If students cannot repay their loans isn’t that an indication that something is askew with the economy?
Reply With Quote
  #23662  
Old 20.10.2019, 17:56
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,986
Groaned at 324 Times in 260 Posts
Thanked 17,330 Times in 9,463 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Not sure I understood what you mean here..
If students cannot repay their loans isn’t that an indication that something is askew with the economy?
It shows it was a waste of money investing in their education in the first place, no need to study for 3 years to flip burgers.
Choice of subjects does not help, however quality of student is the issue. I can't say if this is due to poor teaching or just too high a percentage of the population doing further education, perhaps one of the teachers can help answer this.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23663  
Old 20.10.2019, 18:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It shows it was a waste of money investing in their education in the first place, no need to study for 3 years to flip burgers.
Choice of subjects does not help, however quality of student is the issue. I can't say if this is due to poor teaching or just too high a percentage of the population doing further education, perhaps one of the teachers can help answer this.
On the other hand, have a look at any selection of job adverts here or elsewhere. Good luck beating the competition getting even a lowly admin position without some form of higher/further education.

Most places see it as a benchmark that you can learn. Obviously there are exceptions that people never tire of trotting out “Well I left school with nothing more than a first aid certificate and my 25 yards backstroke certificate and I was head of a multinational before I was 15” sorts are few and far between.

I guess there is a fair amount of sour grapes held by the non-higher education set but to make it up the career ladder is much much harder, rightly or wrongly.

Even if you DO know the differences between ‘your’ and ‘you’re’...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #23664  
Old 20.10.2019, 18:42
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,986
Groaned at 324 Times in 260 Posts
Thanked 17,330 Times in 9,463 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
On the other hand, have a look at any selection of job adverts here or elsewhere. Good luck beating the competition getting even a lowly admin position without some form of higher/further education.

Most places see it as a benchmark that you can learn. Obviously there are exceptions that people never tire of trotting out “Well I left school with nothing more than a first aid certificate and my 25 yards backstroke certificate and I was head of a multinational before I was 15” sorts are few and far between.

I guess there is a fair amount of sour grapes held by the non-higher education set but to make it up the career ladder is much much harder, rightly or wrongly.

Even if you DO know the differences between ‘your’ and ‘you’re’...
People should have wider aspirations & set up their own business. Why would their be any sour grapes, Open University has been around long enough.

I was taught the difference between your & you're, however I did not write anything other than invoices for the next 20 years after leaving School. It's only because of Internet forums that I write at all. Being dyslexic I generally can's see what you wrote & when I re-read I see what it should be, rather than what is written. If I look at my posts 30 minutes later, I can often see obvious mistakes.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23665  
Old 20.10.2019, 18:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
People should have wider aspirations & set up their own business. Why would their be any sour grapes, Open University has been around long enough.
Your reasoning makes no sense. You seem to be suggesting the benchmark for success is if you own your own business. You can’t have millions of one-person companies and no employees, can you?

So the secret of success is to skimp on education and open a business. We’re back to Prince Edward again.

Or get yourself on the next series of The Apprentice, act like the biggest arsehole, enjoy the limelight for a couple of years then slip off to financial ruin and anonymity again...
Reply With Quote
  #23666  
Old 20.10.2019, 18:55
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,986
Groaned at 324 Times in 260 Posts
Thanked 17,330 Times in 9,463 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Your reasoning makes no sense. You seem to be suggesting the benchmark for success is if you own your own business. You can’t have millions of one-person companies and no employees, can you?

So the secret of success is to skimp on education and open a business. We’re back to Prince Edward again.

Or get yourself on the next series of The Apprentice, act like the biggest arsehole, enjoy the limelight for a couple of years then slip off to financial ruin and anonymity again...
Well if you can't find a satisfactory job paying what you believe your worth, it would be a no brainer to set up your own business. Of course most people just complain & do nothing because it's the easy way out.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23667  
Old 20.10.2019, 18:56
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,118
Groaned at 53 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 6,360 Times in 2,428 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

One point I noticed with the adverts in both countries is that it would appear easier to find a job in the UK as a fresh graduate than it would here.
There’s a philosophy of «give a grad a go» that is more difficult to come by here.
Many young people do internships to collect the sufficient amount of professional experience potential employers seem to require here, while in the UK there are more «beginner» jobs offered.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #23668  
Old 20.10.2019, 18:59
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,986
Groaned at 324 Times in 260 Posts
Thanked 17,330 Times in 9,463 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
One point I noticed with the adverts in both countries is that it would appear easier to find a job in the UK as a fresh graduate than it would here.
There’s a philosophy of «give a grad a go» that is more difficult to come by here.
Many young people do internships to collect the sufficient amount of professional experience potential employers seem to require here, while in the UK there are more «beginner» jobs offered.
Apprenticeships went out of fashion in the UK 40 odd years ago, it's a great shame.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23669  
Old 20.10.2019, 19:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,630
Groaned at 92 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 9,954 Times in 4,476 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Apprenticeships went out of fashion in the UK 40 odd years ago, it's a great shame.
That's not true.
There's been a major government drive to promote apprenticeships for a good few years now. The main failing, as told to me by a number of people I know who've been on them is, too many employers end the apprenticeship a few months shy of the end of the person's day release college course, which has led to two of them having to literally beg the colleges to allow them to complete their courses. Those two people were the joiner and decorator who worked on my total house refurb last year, and were both in their 20s and self-employed. It's a good system but very flawed under the government model.

https://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/a...apprenticeship
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #23670  
Old 20.10.2019, 22:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,108
Groaned at 309 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 12,882 Times in 6,741 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
People should have wider aspirations & set up their own business. Why would their be any sour grapes, Open University has been around long enough.
You know, not everyone wants the same things. I don't the see point in bragging about one's financial success. (Of course, I don't see the point in bragging about one's diplomas and titles either, it's considered bad taste).
Not everyone wants to have their own business, as not every business can or will be successful. Why should we measure someone's worth by that?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #23671  
Old 20.10.2019, 22:32
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,162
Groaned at 176 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 12,475 Times in 6,541 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

meanwhile:
<<Boris Johnson has sent a request to the EU for a delay to Brexit - but without his signature.

The request was accompanied by a second letter, signed by Mr Johnson, saying he believes a delay would be a mistake.

Earlier, Mr Johnson rang European leaders, including Mr Tusk, to insist that the letter "is Parliament's letter, not my letter".>>

LOL.

I can't help thinking that's the kind of thing I would do in this situation too.

Leaning back, waiting for the red blobbies and the groans.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #23672  
Old 21.10.2019, 02:26
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,004
Groaned at 156 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 6,239 Times in 2,863 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
meanwhile:
<<Boris Johnson has sent a request to the EU for a delay to Brexit - but without his signature.

The request was accompanied by a second letter, signed by Mr Johnson, saying he believes a delay would be a mistake.

Earlier, Mr Johnson rang European leaders, including Mr Tusk, to insist that the letter "is Parliament's letter, not my letter".>>

LOL.

I can't help thinking that's the kind of thing I would do in this situation too.

Leaning back, waiting for the red blobbies and the groans.
Well it seems Tusk is ignoring the nonsense and acting on the request by consulting the 27 heads of government.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #23673  
Old 21.10.2019, 10:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,630
Groaned at 92 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 9,954 Times in 4,476 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Well it seems Tusk is ignoring the nonsense and acting on the request by consulting the 27 heads of government.
As he should. Tusk behaved like an adult. Johnson behaved like a petulant child.

Best interview yesterday was Lord Heseltine on Sky News. https://news.sky.com/video/id-be-beh...ltine-11840360
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #23674  
Old 21.10.2019, 15:50
Dinivan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 102
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 111 Times in 63 Posts
Dinivan is considered knowledgeableDinivan is considered knowledgeableDinivan is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Well if you can't find a satisfactory job paying what you believe your worth, it would be a no brainer to set up your own business. Of course most people just complain & do nothing because it's the easy way out.
Unless you are suggesting that we should have 1 million people selling ice-creams or hot-dogs with a trolley, then things are not that easy. These people can't even afford to pay back their uni degree. Some can't even afford to pay for basic things such as proper heating at home. Starting any business requires some considerable capital to face the set-up costs and the lack of regular income at the early stages of the business.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dinivan for this useful post:
  #23675  
Old 21.10.2019, 15:57
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,209
Groaned at 387 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 15,952 Times in 8,658 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Scottish judges today rejected a request from the UK government’s lead lawyer, David Johnston QC, to throw out the legal action seeking the court to hold Boris in contempt of court re. requesting an EU extension.

Name:  brexit2192.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  76.2 KB
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #23676  
Old 21.10.2019, 16:00
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,986
Groaned at 324 Times in 260 Posts
Thanked 17,330 Times in 9,463 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Unless you are suggesting that we should have 1 million people selling ice-creams or hot-dogs with a trolley, then things are not that easy. These people can't even afford to pay back their uni degree. Some can't even afford to pay for basic things such as proper heating at home. Starting any business requires some considerable capital to face the set-up costs and the lack of regular income at the early stages of the business.
That is basically what I am suggesting, no need for an expensive motorised vehicle, a hand cart or trolly is fine. If you can only get a job flipping burgers, no reason why you should not own the business.

There are plenty of grants available to those who apply. They big mistake was getting in debt to get a degree that won't give them a good living. Far better to have worked an extra 3-5 years in the workplace getting experience.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23677  
Old 21.10.2019, 16:38
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,611
Groaned at 253 Times in 206 Posts
Thanked 17,029 Times in 6,993 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
That is basically what I am suggesting, no need for an expensive motorised vehicle, a hand cart or trolly is fine. If you can only get a job flipping burgers, no reason why you should not own the business.

There are plenty of grants available to those who apply. They big mistake was getting in debt to get a degree that won't give them a good living. Far better to have worked an extra 3-5 years in the workplace getting experience.
Far better for you, maybe. But far better for Jane next door to go to uni, because she's bright, motivated and cut out to become a lawyer.

Or would you prefer everyone to conform to the lowest common denominator so that the least academically gifted can feel better about themselves?

And again, could you stop this pointless "discussion" now? It is about as far off topic as is possible to get.
Reply With Quote
  #23678  
Old 21.10.2019, 16:40
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,986
Groaned at 324 Times in 260 Posts
Thanked 17,330 Times in 9,463 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Far better for you, maybe. But far better for Jane next door to go to uni, because she's bright, motivated and cut out to become a lawyer.

Or would you prefer everyone to conform to the lowest common denominator so that the least academically gifted can feel better about themselves?

And again, could you stop this pointless "discussion" now? It is about as far off topic as is possible to get.
I don't think people who study to become Solicitors or Barristers are the people who don't repay their student loans & flip burgers as they can get a job.

Of course you know best
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23679  
Old 21.10.2019, 16:46
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 201
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 534 Times in 280 Posts
John William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputation
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Hooray - yet another defeat for Boris, as the governments 2nd attempt to give MP's a meaningful vote
on his Brexit deal on Monday is rejected by Speaker John Bercow.
Reply With Quote
  #23680  
Old 21.10.2019, 16:49
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 28,554
Groaned at 1,933 Times in 1,464 Posts
Thanked 33,729 Times in 16,094 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
But far better for Jane next door to go to uni, because she's bright, motivated and cut out to become a lawyer.
Poor Jane.

Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (1 members and 3 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 07:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 14:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 19:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 21:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 11:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0