Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #24101  
Old 30.10.2019, 22:32
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Twitter have just banned all political advertising all over the world.

Quote:
Breaking

Twitter bans all political advertising, says chief executive Jack Dorsey
https://news.sky.com/story/twitter-b...orsey-11849565
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #24102  
Old 30.10.2019, 22:49
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Both Jersey & the Isle of Man seem to manage not being in the EU, both heavy on financial services like London.
Wrong!

Jersey has long had a special relationship with the EU and will be affected by Brexit. It has an exceptionally large Portuguese community for it's size, which was around 40k the last time I was there. I went to the annual Portuguese Festival in St Helier, and many of the regulars at my favourite jazz bar used to sail over from France for the evening for particular bands.
https://www.gov.je/Government/Brexit/Pages/home.aspx

Quote:
The Isle of Man Government and its counterparts in Jersey and Guernsey wrote to the UK Prime Minister following the UK referendum to emphasise that the Crown Dependencies had a direct interest in the terms of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU and in the negotiation of a future relationship. Continuing, as far as possible, the substance of the current arrangements with the EU, in particular the provisions of the Protocol 3 relating to trade in goods between the Islands and the EU was called for. The letter also explained that decisions taken on the grandfathering of rights for EU nationals were of particular relevance to the Crown Dependencies as the Islands are home to a significant number of non-British nationals and residents that have EU rights through their connection to the UK.
https://www.gov.im/about-the-governm...aqs/#accordion
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #24103  
Old 30.10.2019, 22:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,970
Groaned at 289 Times in 218 Posts
Thanked 17,918 Times in 6,290 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Twitter have just banned all political advertising all over the world.


https://news.sky.com/story/twitter-b...orsey-11849565
Strange decision. That's in the advantage of politicians like Trump, whose tweets seem to be read by everyone. Try to build that up without advertising.
Reply With Quote
  #24104  
Old 30.10.2019, 23:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,810
Groaned at 180 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,397 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Strange decision. That's in the advantage of politicians like Trump, whose tweets seem to be read by everyone. Try to build that up without advertising.
Well, it’s still much better than farcebook which allows politicians to pay them large sums to lie.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #24105  
Old 31.10.2019, 00:48
Raffles's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: In the shadows of your mind.
Posts: 155
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 337 Times in 143 Posts
Raffles has a reputation beyond reputeRaffles has a reputation beyond reputeRaffles has a reputation beyond reputeRaffles has a reputation beyond reputeRaffles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

The problem with political jokes is they sometimes get elected.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Raffles for this useful post:
  #24106  
Old 31.10.2019, 09:34
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,383
Groaned at 413 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 19,323 Times in 10,386 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Wrong!

Jersey has long had a special relationship with the EU and will be affected by Brexit. It has an exceptionally large Portuguese community for it's size, which was around 40k the last time I was there. I went to the annual Portuguese Festival in St Helier, and many of the regulars at my favourite jazz bar used to sail over from France for the evening for particular bands.
https://www.gov.je/Government/Brexit/Pages/home.aspx

https://www.gov.im/about-the-governm...aqs/#accordion
FACT Neither Jersey or IOM of man are members of the EU, It's very simple like stay / leave, amazing you don't understand. Just to remind you Switzerland is also not in the EU, yet the most successful country in Europe,

Jersey does not even have VAT unlike Switzerland & IOM. If you fly from Jersey to Heathrow you are subject to customs restrictions, that does not happen in the EU
Reply With Quote
  #24107  
Old 31.10.2019, 10:20
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 4,215
Groaned at 160 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 7,338 Times in 3,358 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
FACT Neither Jersey or IOM of man are members of the EU, It's very simple like stay / leave, amazing you don't understand. Just to remind you Switzerland is also not in the EU, yet the most successful country in Europe,

Jersey does not even have VAT unlike Switzerland & IOM. If you fly from Jersey to Heathrow you are subject to customs restrictions, that does not happen in the EU
Misleading at least. Correct Jersey is outside the EU, however it is in the single market and IS in customs union and has free movement of goods with the EU. VAT is not a customs duty btw and does have to be paid.

Given it is a clear tax haven it will be interesting to see how relationships develop once it doesn't have the UKs skirts to hide behind on the services front.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #24108  
Old 31.10.2019, 10:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
FACT Neither Jersey or IOM of man are members of the EU, It's very simple like stay / leave, amazing you don't understand. Just to remind you Switzerland is also not in the EU, yet the most successful country in Europe,

Jersey does not even have VAT unlike Switzerland & IOM. If you fly from Jersey to Heathrow you are subject to customs restrictions, that does not happen in the EU
She didn't say they "are members of the EU" she said they had a special relationship which will be affected by Brexit.

I think it's already more than abundantly clear that the UK, and therefore its crown dependencies, will not be able to construct a relationship with the EU in the same way Switzerland has.

So the amazingly simplistic view you have of "leave /stay" and Switzerland's similarities with the UK post Brexit unfortunately don't take account of the reality of the situation.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #24109  
Old 31.10.2019, 10:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
She didn't say they "are members of the EU" she said they had a special relationship which will be affected by Brexit.

I think it's already more than abundantly clear that the UK, and therefore its crown dependencies, will not be able to construct a relationship with the EU in the same way Switzerland has.

So the amazingly simplistic view you have of "leave /stay" and Switzerland's similarities with the UK post Brexit unfortunately don't take account of the reality of the situation.
Once again, we return to the issue of Brexiteers and nuance.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #24110  
Old 31.10.2019, 11:10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 330
Groaned at 35 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 763 Times in 391 Posts
John William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Once again, we return to the issue of Brexiteers and nuance.
Perhaps we should start a Poll as to who is the worst or most fundamentalist Brexiteer of them all ?
As I had Nigel Farage as top of the list but he's no doubt been challenged for pole position in recent
years / months as Brexit goes on.

Well my top pick for Brexiteer of the Year goes to Dominic Cummings - this man is without doubt
the unelected Machiavelli of the Tory Party and the power behind the throne of the BJ administration.
Whose caustic advise and comments have been the subject of outrage from all side's of the Houses
of Parliament and the architect of Tory Party MP purges, the likes of which has never been seen before
in British politics.

His corrosive influence and presence has without doubt been the cause of many subsequent resignations
from the Tory Party with many MP's choosing not to stand again at the next election.
Even worst he has no doubt been the deciding factor of several Tory MP's either crossing the
floor of the house to join the Liberal Democrats or becoming Independent MP's.

Last edited by John William; 31.10.2019 at 12:28.
Reply With Quote
  #24111  
Old 31.10.2019, 11:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps we should start a Poll as to who is the worst or most fundamentalist Brexiteer of them all ?
Anyone who is pushing for a Brexit this or next year is not a sincere Brexiteer.

The half-baked alternatives the Tories are proposing will all end up with the UK back in the EU sooner or later.

A rushed job is not a proper job.
Reply With Quote
  #24112  
Old 31.10.2019, 11:14
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,383
Groaned at 413 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 19,323 Times in 10,386 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Misleading at least. Correct Jersey is outside the EU, however it is in the single market and IS in customs union and has free movement of goods with the EU. VAT is not a customs duty btw and does have to be paid.

Given it is a clear tax haven it will be interesting to see how relationships develop once it doesn't have the UKs skirts to hide behind on the services front.
Misleading at best, Jersey is not in the single market for financial services, there is no freedom of movement either. Every EU country has VAT, Jersey does not.

Jersey is not in the EU & never has been.
Reply With Quote
  #24113  
Old 31.10.2019, 11:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps we should start a Poll as to who is the worst or most fundamentalist Brexiteer of them all ?
Too many Polls is what started all this. Sorry, I mean Poles.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #24114  
Old 31.10.2019, 11:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Misleading at best, Jersey is not in the single market for financial services, there is no freedom of movement either. Every EU country has VAT, Jersey does not.

Jersey is not in the EU & never has been.
Did anyone actually say Jersey (or the IOM, seeing as you brought them both into the thread) are in the EU?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #24115  
Old 31.10.2019, 11:46
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
FACT Neither Jersey or IOM of man are members of the EU, It's very simple like stay / leave, amazing you don't understand.
I suspect I understand Jersey and the IOM a little better than you do. Throw Bournemouth into the mix and they account for all my childhood holidays and some later ones too. Plus, my grandparents had planned to retire to Rozel, but despite trying in 1972 and 74, my dad couldn't get permission to move us there too. I was a whisker away from growing up in Greve de Lecq. Even so, I spent several nights in my early 30s on the lash with French fishermen and a rather delicious sax player upstairs in the Blue Note Bar.

It all hinges on Protocol 3.
As Crown Dependencies, their relationship depends upon that of the UK with the EU. They are not completely autonomous in this matter, but they do have a very customised arrangement which is threatened by Brexit.

Quote:
1 The relationship between the Channel Islands and the European Union has always been a complicated one. It is governed by Protocol 3 to the Treaty of Accession of the United Kingdom which provides that the Islands are “in” the Union for some things and “out” for others. The Protocol has now been with us for forty years...
https://www.jerseylaw.je/publication...0_Johnson.aspx
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #24116  
Old 31.10.2019, 11:57
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
...there is no freedom of movement either. ...
That might have something to do with the island being 9 x 5 miles and having a long held minimum financial requirement to move. In the early 1970s, you needed to deposit £100k in the Bank of Jersey. This had increased to £1million by the early 1990s. Mass migration to such a small island is simply unsustainable and always has been. The only reason the island has such a large Portuguese community is because they were brought over to work in the hotel industry in the late 1960s - early 1970s with many of them coming from Madeira. They stayed and had their familes there.
Reply With Quote
  #24117  
Old 31.10.2019, 12:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,964
Groaned at 231 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 5,592 Times in 2,081 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Imagine the outcry when child allowance is stopped on the 16th Birthday, parents won't be able to claim a tax deductions for their young Adults & potentially higher council tax for single parents.
Child benefit (what I assume you mean by allowance) does stop after the 16th birthday. It's payable until 20 if the child stays in full time education or training though.

And what tax deduction do you get for having children? There are child tax credits but children aren't eligible to be included after 16 for that either.

'A 'Qualifying Young Person' for Child Tax Credit is someone who is: 16 years old until the 31 August following their 16th birthday, or. 16 or 17 years old who is registered for work, education or training in certain circumstances.'
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #24118  
Old 31.10.2019, 12:03
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Once again, we return to the issue of Brexiteers and nuance.
Considering that the PM formed his cabinet based upon their determination to complete Brexit, and seeing as there isn't a single scientist within that cabinet, I would summise that there's a distinct lack of evidential understanding and reasoning amongst many Brexiters.

Also, I'm refusing to call them Brexiteers now because it affords them an air of romantic heroism they ill deserve.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #24119  
Old 31.10.2019, 12:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Imagine the outcry when child allowance is stopped on the 16th Birthday, parents won't be able to claim a tax deductions for their young Adults & potentially higher council tax for single parents.
Child benefit. And it doesn't stop if said child is in education/training until 20, I think. But not everyone is eligible and it's means tested over 50K i think. No benefit if earn over 60k.

Not sure what this has to do with the price of Boris' eggs though.


Edit: sorry Porsch1909, just seen your post.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #24120  
Old 31.10.2019, 12:35
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,383
Groaned at 413 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 19,323 Times in 10,386 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
That might have something to do with the island being 9 x 5 miles and having a long held minimum financial requirement to move. In the early 1970s, you needed to deposit £100k in the Bank of Jersey. This had increased to £1million by the early 1990s. Mass migration to such a small island is simply unsustainable and always has been. The only reason the island has such a large Portuguese community is because they were brought over to work in the hotel industry in the late 1960s - early 1970s with many of them coming from Madeira. They stayed and had their familes there.
Workers could always be brought in to Jersey, an ex moved there to work in the Hospital, I have been more than once

Unaware of the existence of the 'Bank of Jersey', happy to be corrected on this

Last edited by fatmanfilms; 31.10.2019 at 12:45.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0