Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #25081  
Old 10.12.2019, 18:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
amongst labour supporters thats 49% indifferent, 41% look negatively. Is that "most" to you ? In the same stroke then looks like most people voted for brexit.
No it doesn‘t look like ‘most voted for Brexit’. Although if it‘s that easy to fudge around with ‘how it looks‘ it gives weight to the suggestion it was a shit survey in the first place.

49% ‘indifferent’ is more than 41% ‘negatively’. Do you have a different definition of ‘most’?
Reply With Quote
  #25082  
Old 10.12.2019, 19:10
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,772
Groaned at 421 Times in 313 Posts
Thanked 19,858 Times in 10,632 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:

49% ‘indifferent’ is more than 41% ‘negatively’. Do you have a different definition of ‘most’?
Most would have to be more than half, neither 49% or 41% are more than half.
Reply With Quote
  #25083  
Old 10.12.2019, 19:25
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Nope, we are two independently minded women who may disagree about some things but when we agree... we agree.
You'd think he'd have mentioned the infamous Owen Smith and Lisa Nandy joint interview in 2016. Hmmm...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #25084  
Old 10.12.2019, 19:32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Most would have to be more than half, neither 49% or 41% are more than half.
Seriously, you think ‘most’ has to be ‘more than half’? If you have 49 apples, I‘ve got 41 apples and someone else has got 10 apples, who do you think has got ‘most‘ apples?

This thread has take an unexpected turn...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25085  
Old 10.12.2019, 19:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,989
Groaned at 336 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 14,580 Times in 7,487 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
amongst labour supporters thats 49% indifferent, 41% look negatively. Is that "most" to you ? In the same stroke then looks like most people voted for brexit.
Still not sure how this survey is relevant.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #25086  
Old 10.12.2019, 19:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Most would have to be more than half, neither 49% or 41% are more than half.
No. Most is not more than half.


Ha! Just seen Sandgrounder's reply.

No wonder these kinds of surveys get so much traction, folk don't understand what they are looking at.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25087  
Old 10.12.2019, 19:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,041
Groaned at 291 Times in 220 Posts
Thanked 18,184 Times in 6,374 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Seriously, you think ‘most’ has to be ‘more than half’? If you have 49 apples, I‘ve got 41 apples and someone else has got 10 apples, who do you think has got ‘most‘ apples?

This thread has take an unexpected turn...
The one with 49 apples would have most apples but not most of the apples.
Reply With Quote
  #25088  
Old 10.12.2019, 19:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,989
Groaned at 336 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 14,580 Times in 7,487 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
No. Most is not more than half.


Ha! Just seen Sandgrounder's reply.

No wonder these kinds of surveys get so much traction, folk don't understand what they are looking at.
I think it's not relevant to anything, even though, from a post here I quote

Quote:
“Labour voters (41%) and Remain voters (40%) are much more likely to judge someone else negatively for voting differently to them than Conservative voters (19%) and Leave voters (13%)”
OK, I judge you negatively for voting differently, is that an indicative for anything else? Will they beat those who vote differently? How's that relevant to what here?
I judge you negatively if you are queue jumper. Will I beat you, or even shout at you? Definitely not.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #25089  
Old 10.12.2019, 20:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
No wonder these kinds of surveys get so much traction, folk don't understand what they are looking at.
I think they understand whatever plays to their beliefs. It’s an unremarkable poll with woolly criteria and marginal stats, but hey, it’s putting the boot into the Labour Party so it’s a big Tory thumbs up.
Reply With Quote
  #25090  
Old 10.12.2019, 20:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,444
Groaned at 172 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 4,863 Times in 1,878 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
No it doesn‘t look like ‘most voted for Brexit’. Although if it‘s that easy to fudge around with ‘how it looks‘ it gives weight to the suggestion it was a shit survey in the first place.

49% ‘indifferent’ is more than 41% ‘negatively’. Do you have a different definition of ‘most’?
52%is more than 48%, most people voted for brexit. Have you gone completely barking mad ?
Reply With Quote
  #25091  
Old 10.12.2019, 20:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,444
Groaned at 172 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 4,863 Times in 1,878 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
I think they understand whatever plays to their beliefs. It’s an unremarkable poll with woolly criteria and marginal stats, but hey, it’s putting the boot into the Labour Party so it’s a big Tory thumbs up.
I’d feel a bit more balanced if you could show me some tories shouting ‘labour scum’ at labour mp’s. Any example, any time is fine.

Last edited by Mikers; 10.12.2019 at 20:54. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #25092  
Old 10.12.2019, 20:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I’d feel a bit more balanced if you could show me some tories shouting ‘labour scum’ at conservative mp’s. Any example, any time is fine.
Why would Tories shout "labour scum" at conservative MPs? Stretching credulity a bit here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25093  
Old 10.12.2019, 20:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,444
Groaned at 172 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 4,863 Times in 1,878 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Why would Tories shout "labour scum" at conservative MPs? Stretching credulity a bit here.
Oops typo!!! Thanks I’ll correct it.
Reply With Quote
  #25094  
Old 10.12.2019, 21:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,989
Groaned at 336 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 14,580 Times in 7,487 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I have pointed out that the labour left if often seen screaming and shouting at conservative MP's using various insults. Conservative voters do not seem to do the same thing to labour voters.

Of couse, instead of accepting this observation this has been challenged again (such as by yourself saying this could be because the conservatives are in power) to which I have quite rightly pointed out labour have been in power for large lengths of time so the same such news reports should exist, tories screaming at labour MP's, during this window.

To me its all very logical, fair, uncomplicated and clear. If this is an equal activity, and it is not the case that labour lefties are a bunch of thugs, then we should be able to come up with some suitable examples of conservatives berating labour MP's.

up to now, apart from lots of topic changing, pretend confusion, obfuscating, attempts to close the topic because there have been several posts, no one has actually done that.

Therefore I stand by my point, which is very simple: the survey which presents itself as being accurate, is.
No, it's not that simple and I'd explain where your theory has flaws:
- labour supporters are often seen screaming at conservative MP's - all of them? how many?
- if some of them scream at tories, does that mean that all of them do that, and consequently they all deserve to be called "thugs"?
- 41% of labour voters are also seen screaming? Are you sure that this survey can be read like that? (what does it mean judging negatively btw.)
Or is it possible we talk about different demographics and only a fraction of labour voters/supporters would go to this length to show their disapproval.
Reply With Quote
  #25095  
Old 10.12.2019, 21:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
52%is more than 48%, most people voted for brexit. Have you gone completely barking mad ?
I think you missed a few posts. It wasn’t about the EU referendum result.
Reply With Quote
  #25096  
Old 10.12.2019, 21:38
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,444
Groaned at 172 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 4,863 Times in 1,878 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
I think you missed a few posts. It wasn’t about the EU referendum result.
thats about your definition of most. i can only debate if you can keep up.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #25097  
Old 10.12.2019, 21:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,444
Groaned at 172 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 4,863 Times in 1,878 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
No, it's not that simple and I'd explain where your theory has flaws:
- labour supporters are often seen screaming at conservative MP's - all of them? how many?
- if some of them scream at tories, does that mean that all of them do that, and consequently they all deserve to be called "thugs"?
- 41% of labour voters are also seen screaming? Are you sure that this survey can be read like that? (what does it mean judging negatively btw.)
Or is it possible we talk about different demographics and only a fraction of labour voters/supporters would go to this length to show their disapproval.
- lots
- no, only some. not all are thugs.
- yes all possible.
Reply With Quote
  #25098  
Old 10.12.2019, 21:43
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,006
Groaned at 415 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,141 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
52%is more than 48%, most people voted for brexit. Have you gone completely barking mad ?
You’re wasting your time. There’s no debate to be had here, this lot would argue day is night for the kicks it gives them. A reputable data analytics firm has posted a poll after using a significant sample size and come out with a clear result. If people don’t want to believe the result then there is nothing that you can say which will convince them otherwise. Save yourself. They can only evade reality for so long.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #25099  
Old 10.12.2019, 22:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
thats about your definition of most. i can only debate if you can keep up.
No, you've moved the goal posts. It's a Leave problem...

Neither you or TC are actually debating anything. You're clinging desperately to the wreckage of a non argument and trying to put the boot in because the conversation isn't going the way you want it to.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25100  
Old 10.12.2019, 22:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You’re wasting your time. There’s no debate to be had here, this lot would argue day is night for the kicks it gives them. A reputable data analytics firm has posted a poll after using a significant sample size and come out with a clear result. If people don’t want to believe the result then there is nothing that you can say which will convince them otherwise. Save yourself. They can only evade reality for so long.


It's cute, seriously.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0