Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #25121  
Old 11.12.2019, 08:17
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 930
Groaned at 350 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,041 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So there, we are I'll call it there.

Ive paused from posting on this (very interesting) thread over the last few months because it just became impossible to debate anything because of the clique who will gang up on any response outweighing any chance of keeping up against the sheer weight of posts.

I'll leggit again for a bit and try again in a few more months.

You are steadily destroying the ability to reasonably debate anythign on thsi thread when it doesn't match your exact labour / remain stance and its frustrating that what used to be a really interesting and highlighting topic of conversation has ended up like this.

I know there will be replies after this reminding me its my fault, I started it, you didnt say that-here-then, this wasnt proved and your point is a lot better than mine, but you just overwhelm people who try to argue.

Even Tony Clifton, whoever he may be, is going to give up eventually.
I’ll hang around for a little while longer, thanks for opening my eyes here. Listening to the “clique” one would think Brexiteers and Conservatives were just unable to stand up to their superior intellect!

One recent discussion I had on here was regarding the changing political landscape in the UK, and how the Labour Party no longer represents the working classes. Jon Ashworth was caught making similar comments but you can bet as with that poll result, there are those on here who will still refuse to accept or challenge their preheld views.
Reply With Quote
  #25122  
Old 11.12.2019, 08:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I’ll hang around for a little while longer, thanks for opening my eyes here. Listening to the “clique” one would think Brexiteers and Conservatives were just unable to stand up to their superior intellect!

One recent discussion I had on here was regarding the changing political landscape in the UK, and how the Labour Party no longer represents the working classes. Jon Ashworth was caught making similar comments but you can bet as with that poll result, there are those on here who will still refuse to accept or challenge their preheld views.
‘Preheld views’ of the remainer voting base were that the Brexit process would be an unmitigated disaster and here we are.

10 years of Tories have caused, for the average man on the street, a serious drop in living standards and public services.

BoJo’s sudden ability to find billions to fund a spending spree, suddenly after 10 years of stripped back funding, and to play the yes-man on dozens of tabloid-style issues is deeply suspicious to many.

I think people with opposing views to you are smarter than you dare to believe.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25123  
Old 11.12.2019, 08:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,773
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,147 Times in 7,290 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I’ll hang around for a little while longer, thanks for opening my eyes here. Listening to the “clique” one would think Brexiteers and Conservatives were just unable to stand up to their superior intellect!

One recent discussion I had on here was regarding the changing political landscape in the UK, and how the Labour Party no longer represents the working classes. Jon Ashworth was caught making similar comments but you can bet as with that poll result, there are those on here who will still refuse to accept or challenge their preheld views.
What one is supposed to make out of this exchange between you and Mikers?
There are quite a few regular pro-Brexit/pro-Tories posters on this thread who are always in agreement. Shall I call it a clique too? Would that bring more exchange and less negativity back into discussion?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #25124  
Old 11.12.2019, 09:48
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 930
Groaned at 350 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,041 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
‘Preheld views’ of the remainer voting base were that the Brexit process would be an unmitigated disaster and here we are.

10 years of Tories have caused, for the average man on the street, a serious drop in living standards and public services.

BoJo’s sudden ability to find billions to fund a spending spree, suddenly after 10 years of stripped back funding, and to play the yes-man on dozens of tabloid-style issues is deeply suspicious to many.

I think people with opposing views to you are smarter than you dare to believe.
We keep hearing about “disasters”, but we’re still waiting for anything of the sort to happen. The country is still running fine in spite of any disaster talk.

You’re also wrong about the drop in living standards for the average man on the street. The number of people in employment has increased under the Tories. Wages have increased under the Tories. The lowest paid have experienced the largest real term percentage increases in hourly wages under the Tories. The minimum wage has increased under the Tories. This is why the average man on the street is turning their back on Labour.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #25125  
Old 11.12.2019, 10:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
We keep hearing about “disasters”, but we’re still waiting for anything of the sort to happen. The country is still running fine in spite of any disaster talk.

You’re also wrong about the drop in living standards for the average man on the street. The number of people in employment has increased under the Tories. Wages have increased under the Tories. The lowest paid have experienced the largest real term percentage increases in hourly wages under the Tories. The minimum wage has increased under the Tories. This is why the average man on the street is turning their back on Labour.
That's the famous "spin" version.

The reality is different and you know it.

Employment went up with the advent of zero-hour contracts so any figures can be massaged and manipulated.

Anyone would think you only get your information about the UK from Tory websites and right wing press. Have you ever actually been there recently? Ever been there at all?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25126  
Old 11.12.2019, 10:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
We keep hearing about “disasters”, but we’re still waiting for anything of the sort to happen. The country is still running fine in spite of any disaster talk.

You’re also wrong about the drop in living standards for the average man on the street. The number of people in employment has increased under the Tories. Wages have increased under the Tories. The lowest paid have experienced the largest real term percentage increases in hourly wages under the Tories. The minimum wage has increased under the Tories. This is why the average man on the street is turning their back on Labour.
This reads like a direct copy paste from one of those nonsense Tory Facebook memes.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25127  
Old 11.12.2019, 10:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

YouGov poll du jour...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...MRP-model.html

(taken from a right-wing tabloid for balance - things must be bad )
Reply With Quote
  #25128  
Old 11.12.2019, 10:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
We keep hearing about “disasters”, but we’re still waiting for anything of the sort to happen. The country is still running fine in spite of any disaster talk.

You’re also wrong about the drop in living standards for the average man on the street. The number of people in employment has increased under the Tories. Wages have increased under the Tories. The lowest paid have experienced the largest real term percentage increases in hourly wages under the Tories. The minimum wage has increased under the Tories. This is why the average man on the street is turning their back on Labour.

The rise in food banks alone belie this as does the increase of children living in poverty.
Teachers, for example, have experienced a wage decrease, effectively, over the past eight years. You clearly are not British or you would have had experience of state services NHS, the police, social services, education - working daily miracles despite Tory cuts. Not because of any of the mess they have caused.

What you write above is merely panacea spin and believing it is, of course, your prerogative. That doesn't mean it's everyone else's.

Can the insults. You're simply lowering the bar.
Reply With Quote
  #25129  
Old 11.12.2019, 10:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,970
Groaned at 289 Times in 218 Posts
Thanked 17,917 Times in 6,290 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
YouGov poll du jour...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...MRP-model.html

(taken from a right-wing tabloid for balance - things must be bad )
No matter what you think of Boris Johnson, he has a unique talent for awkward photos.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #25130  
Old 11.12.2019, 10:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
No matter what you think of Boris Johnson, he has a unique talent for awkward photos.
He's soured his milk...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25131  
Old 11.12.2019, 11:13
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 930
Groaned at 350 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,041 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
That's the famous "spin" version.

The reality is different and you know it.

Employment went up with the advent of zero-hour contracts so any figures can be massaged and manipulated.

Anyone would think you only get your information about the UK from Tory websites and right wing press. Have you ever actually been there recently? Ever been there at all?
I live partly in the UK. The reality is what I've described. You refuse to accept the reality because you likely live in a Swiss bubble and get your "spin" version from left wing press and websites. We can both play this game.

I actually get my information from statistics, those that many on here have trouble grasping. The ONS and ASHE, OBR EFO and IFS provide my data. It's all there in black and white, if you’re willing to look at it. The poorest under the conservatives has seen the biggest wage increases, and the richest have seen the biggest wage decreases over the course of the last decade. The tax system has the top 1% of earners contributing more than a third of all income tax.

The biggest problem is that wage increases haven’t been able to keep up with inflation, yet this is a hangover from the last economic crash. And together with poor growth, is a problem that is seen across much of Europe. The fact remains though, that the poorer you are in the UK, the more likely you are to have seen a payrise over the past decade.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #25132  
Old 11.12.2019, 11:13
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 930
Groaned at 350 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,041 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
The rise in food banks alone belie this as does the increase of children living in poverty.
Teachers, for example, have experienced a wage decrease, effectively, over the past eight years. You clearly are not British or you would have had experience of state services NHS, the police, social services, education - working daily miracles despite Tory cuts. Not because of any of the mess they have caused.

What you write above is merely panacea spin and believing it is, of course, your prerogative. That doesn't mean it's everyone else's.

Can the insults. You're simply lowering the bar.
I’ve not insulted anyone, point out where I have or stop lying.

There have been no Tory cuts to the NHS. The budget has increased every year since 2010. And while we’re on the subject of the NHS, people need to understand it can’t be fixed. Never. I’m old enough to remember when the last Labour government was running it and it was still terrible. Winter crises, budget deficits, Mid Staffs scandal and mountains of PFI debt it’s been left saddled with. It wasn’t without reason there was a TV show called “Can Gerry Robinson Fix the NHS” after 10 years of Labour rule. Then you can look to Wales where Labour are currently running the NHS and see how well that’s performing. This election has been run on a lie that the “NHS is up for sale”, it’s clearly not true yet no one seems to care.

And food banks. Always the food banks. Well let’s look a little more into where they’re most in use. More statistics I’m afraid so you better cover your eyes https://www.statista.com/chart/14092...-foodbanks-uk/. Wales (non Tory), Scotland (non Tory) and the North West (majority of seats held by Labour MPs). This is only Trussel Trust food banks, but they do run 2 out of every 3 food banks in the UK. It should also be noted that a rise in food bank use isn’t limited to the UK. https://www.thelocal.de/20190919/ala...ers-in-germany

What the food bank map also demonstrates is the key reason why Jeremy Corbyn should never get the keys to Number 10. Despite what they say, socialists don’t want to end poverty. What would they do without it? How would they define themselves? How would they get people to vote for them? It’s one of the reasons socialism never works. Outside of London, you can just go to your nearest Labour safe seat to see this in action.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #25133  
Old 11.12.2019, 11:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,773
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,147 Times in 7,290 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
No matter what you think of Boris Johnson, he has a unique talent for awkward photos.
I actually think this is an excellent photo of him! Makes him more likeable.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #25134  
Old 11.12.2019, 11:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I live partly in the UK. The reality is what I've described. You refuse to accept the reality because you likely live in a Swiss bubble and get your "spin" version from left wing press and websites. We can both play this game.

I actually get my information from statistics, those that many on here have trouble grasping. The ONS and ASHE, OBR EFO and IFS provide my data. It's all there in black and white, if you’re willing to look at it. The poorest under the conservatives has seen the biggest wage increases, and the richest have seen the biggest wage decreases over the course of the last decade. The tax system has the top 1% of earners contributing more than a third of all income tax.

The biggest problem is that wage increases haven’t been able to keep up with inflation, yet this is a hangover from the last economic crash. And together with poor growth, is a problem that is seen across much of Europe. The fact remains though, that the poorer you are in the UK, the more likely you are to have seen a payrise over the past decade.
I've got family and friends that work in the NHS, fire service and teaching, as well as manufacturing and retail, both on the front-line and at management level. Parents and ageing relations worried about heating and eating. You can present them with all the "black and white fluff stats" you like but their reality is very different. This is what the Tories are very bad at facing up to, and explains much of the fake news and spin they are trying to blind-side people with.

Voters aren't bothered with what the ONS churns out, they look at what is left in their bank account at the end of the month, whether they can get to see a GP within 2 weeks and whether their kids' teachers are leaving in droves driving up classroom sizes and squeezing resources.
Reply With Quote
  #25135  
Old 11.12.2019, 11:29
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 930
Groaned at 350 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,041 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Voters aren't bothered with what the ONS churns out, they look at what is left in their bank account at the end of the month, whether they can get to see a GP within 2 weeks and whether their kids' teachers are leaving in droves driving up classroom sizes and squeezing resources.
Which is why most of them will vote Conservative on Thursday
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #25136  
Old 11.12.2019, 11:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Which is why most of them will vote Conservative on Thursday
LOL - only if they've been sniffing glue beforehand.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25137  
Old 11.12.2019, 11:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I’ve not insulted anyone, point out where I have or stop lying.
You are using "clique" and passive aggressive condescending insults like "superior intelligence" when it is clear you believe those with opposing views to be inferior. Ergo, insult. Don't accuse me of lying again.


Quote:
And food banks. Always the food banks. Well let’s look a little more into where they’re most in use. More statistics I’m afraid so you better cover your eyes https://www.statista.com/chart/14092...-foodbanks-uk/. Wales (non Tory), Scotland (non Tory) and the North West (majority of seats held by Labour MPs). This is only Trussel Trust food banks, but they do run 2 out of every 3 food banks in the UK. It should also be noted that a rise in food bank use isn’t limited to the UK. https://www.thelocal.de/20190919/ala...ers-in-germany

What the food bank map also demonstrates is the key reason why Jeremy Corbyn should never get the keys to Number 10. Despite what they say, socialists don’t want to end poverty. What would they do without it? How would they define themselves? How would they get people to vote for them? It’s one of the reasons socialism never works. Outside of London, you can just go to your nearest Labour safe seat to see this in action.
Those are only some of them. I'm in a Tory area and there are three local, privately (Church) run food banks. One is less than a mile from some very expensive property. So no, again, you do not have a clue and are picking only those stats which support your tunnel vision. But again, as I said eons ago, that's what stats do: support whatever one wants them to support. If you don't understand that then there is no point.


Quote:
I've got family and friends that work in the NHS, fire service and teaching, as well as manufacturing and retail, both on the front-line and at management level. Parents and ageing relations worried about heating and eating. You can present them with all the "black and white fluff stats" you like but their reality is very different. This is what the Tories are very bad at facing up to, and explains much of the fake news and spin they are trying to blind-side people with.

Voters aren't bothered with what the ONS churns out, they look at what is left in their bank account at the end of the month, whether they can get to see a GP within 2 weeks and whether their kids' teachers are leaving in droves driving up classroom sizes and squeezing resources.
Yep. This. This. This.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25138  
Old 11.12.2019, 11:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I actually think this is an excellent photo of him! Makes him more likeable.
He looks like Nick Park sculpted him at Aardman.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25139  
Old 11.12.2019, 12:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,773
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,147 Times in 7,290 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Which is why most of them will vote Conservative on Thursday
Maybe yes, maybe no. Will you be still on this thread after Thursday, regardless of the results?
Reply With Quote
  #25140  
Old 11.12.2019, 12:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Musicchick... you appear to share TC's views. I'd love a positive exchange on the matter, what do you say?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0