Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #25181  
Old 11.12.2019, 18:13
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 918
Groaned at 347 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,027 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Ironically, if it hadn't been for Brexit, the country wouldn't be in this shitshow right now.

So at least you've come over to the dark side and agree that Brexit is bad for the economy.
I don't believe Brexit will have much of an impact on the economy one way or the other. I can see why people see it as a risk though.

Quote:
But this is just speculation and opinion, no?
It’s an evidence based prediction. What Jeremy Corbyn is proposing is nothing new, and it has been tried out many times before. Each and every time it has failed, why should it work this time?
Reply With Quote
  #25182  
Old 11.12.2019, 18:22
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 626
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 786 Times in 448 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I missed several hundreds of comments in this thread but I'm back to celebrate the election.
Looking forward to a Tory landslide in England and an SNP landslide in Scotland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lewton for this useful post:
  #25183  
Old 11.12.2019, 19:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post

It’s an evidence based prediction.
Is that a euphemism for "guess"? What evidence?
Reply With Quote
  #25184  
Old 11.12.2019, 19:51
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 918
Groaned at 347 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,027 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

The Soviet Union, East Germany, Albania, Vietnam, Cambodia, Venezuela, Romania, North Korea, Cuba.

Or perhaps there’s something in Jeremy Corbyn’s brand of socialism that makes you think it will work this time.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #25185  
Old 11.12.2019, 19:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The Soviet Union, East Germany, Albania, Vietnam, Cambodia, Venezuela, Romania, North Korea, Cuba.

Or perhaps there’s something in Jeremy Corbyn’s brand of socialism that makes you think it will work this time.
So no evidence then. That's fine, you can say it.
Reply With Quote
  #25186  
Old 11.12.2019, 21:22
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,742
Groaned at 429 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 17,790 Times in 9,495 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The Soviet Union, East Germany, Albania, Vietnam, Cambodia, Venezuela, Romania, North Korea, Cuba.

Or perhaps there’s something in Jeremy Corbyn’s brand of socialism that makes you think it will work this time.
You missed China which, on some measurements, is now the world's largest economy; on all other measurements it is only number 2
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #25187  
Old 11.12.2019, 22:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Zürich
Posts: 901
Groaned at 84 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 1,192 Times in 581 Posts
YuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
..Vietnam..

Or perhaps there’s something in Jeremy Corbyn’s brand of socialism that makes you think it will work this time.
Vietnam works pretty well.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...G?locations=VN

I wonder why you left China out?

Or do you just have no clue what you're talking about?

Sweden*/Norway/Denmark are also called "socialist" by many right wingers. Guess which countries regularely score pretty high up in the charts of "places I'd like to be living in"?

*Sweden possibly overdid it a bit. I'm against open borders across non-compatible economies myself since I'm realistic enough to know that a decent wealthfare system doesn't work with open borders for the world.

But yeah, generally, countries running "socialist" systems doesn't really need to fail. It's more like countries where the leadership/the whole economic system is crap. Trump right now certainly isn't a socialist, but he's destroying the US at an astonishing pace, as is the UK itself. Nothing socialistic needed to destroy your country if you go all off the market.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank YuropFlyer for this useful post:
  #25188  
Old 11.12.2019, 23:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,961
Groaned at 288 Times in 217 Posts
Thanked 17,900 Times in 6,284 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
No matter what you think of Boris Johnson, he has a unique talent for awkward photos.
Rude TV team disturbing Boris Johnson during his important task
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp9XoiFbZcI
Reply With Quote
  #25189  
Old 12.12.2019, 00:17
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 918
Groaned at 347 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,027 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You missed China which, on some measurements, is now the world's largest economy; on all other measurements it is only number 2
Quote:
View Post
Vietnam works pretty well.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...G?locations=VN

I wonder why you left China out?

Or do you just have no clue what you're talking about?

Sweden*/Norway/Denmark are also called "socialist" by many right wingers. Guess which countries regularely score pretty high up in the charts of "places I'd like to be living in"?

*Sweden possibly overdid it a bit. I'm against open borders across non-compatible economies myself since I'm realistic enough to know that a decent wealthfare system doesn't work with open borders for the world.

But yeah, generally, countries running "socialist" systems doesn't really need to fail. It's more like countries where the leadership/the whole economic system is crap. Trump right now certainly isn't a socialist, but he's destroying the US at an astonishing pace, as is the UK itself. Nothing socialistic needed to destroy your country if you go all off the market.
Oh yes, remiss of me to miss out China. Just the 65 million dead. Even now China’s economic successes are only because she switched to a market economy (as is the same case in Vietnam, we won't mention the deaths there either). Some people place more emphasis on other things in life rather than economic performance though. I guess in your eyes mass censorship, internment camps and 24/7 state surveillance are reasonable prices to pay for being the second largest economy in the world?

p.s. Sweden, Norway and Denmark are not socialist states. You would know that if you had a clue what you were talking about.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #25190  
Old 12.12.2019, 01:35
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,742
Groaned at 429 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 17,790 Times in 9,495 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Oh yes, remiss of me to miss out China. Just the 65 million dead. Even now China’s economic successes are only because she switched to a market economy (as is the same case in Vietnam, we won't mention the deaths there either). Some people place more emphasis on other things in life rather than economic performance though. I guess in your eyes mass censorship, internment camps and 24/7 state surveillance are reasonable prices to pay for being the second largest economy in the world?

p.s. Sweden, Norway and Denmark are not socialist states. You would know that if you had a clue what you were talking about.
Please, could you remind us what is the point you are trying to make?
You have moved the goalposts so often and so quickly that you are making us dizzy.

I nominate you as groundkeeper of the week.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #25191  
Old 12.12.2019, 01:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Zürich
Posts: 901
Groaned at 84 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 1,192 Times in 581 Posts
YuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Please, could you remind us what is the point you are trying to make?
You have moved the goalposts so often and so quickly that you are making us dizzy.

I nominate you as groundkeeper of the week.


Was going to say the same. He seems to change topic whenever he seems fit.

Besides that, I'd consider his behaviour here close to trolling.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_model

Definitely "socialists" for anyone on the right wing..

But yeah, when he's proven wrong he'll just change topic. Probably we'll end up in his next comment why BREXIT is the best thing since sliced bread, no arguments allowed.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank YuropFlyer for this useful post:
  #25192  
Old 12.12.2019, 06:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,745
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,122 Times in 7,275 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It's outlined on the full fact website here (https://fullfact.org/economy/how-have-wages-changed/):



The data they use is taken from the ONS and ASHE. Whilst average wages have stagnated, the worst off have seen the biggest increase in wages since the recession. Average wage increase remains a big problem though, and something needs to be done to change it. Solving the issue however isn't easy and it is reflected across much of Europe. The UK government needs to resolve matching wage increases with inflation. They've managed to do it in Germany.

https://www.ft.com/content/0a245c28-...7-60ee53e6681d

The fact of the matter is that income inequality isn't as big an issue as the Labour Party likes to make out and the the Conservatives have done much to address it. Inequality remains an issue, however this is far more related to access to services. Wealthier areas have better access to services than poorer areas. It's partly to blame for example as to why poorer pupils get the worst exam results. This is the real issue, unfortunately the solutions to resolve it are not so simple.

Jeremy Corbyn seems to think that you can just tax the rich more and throw money at the problem and it will be resolved. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. The tax system is already set up so that never before have lower income workers been asked to pay a smaller share, and as I've already said, the top 1% already contribute more than a third of all income tax. You can only get so much milk from a cow.
It's called progressive taxation and those countries you say are not socialist - Sweden and Denmark, apply it too and with great results. Even here, in CH, some of us pay more than others.

Is this an argument for voting Tories? Certainly, for some. Tories won't cut the taxes for middle classes because they also need a cow to milk. So where does that leave your argument? And what was that? Taxation?

Quote:
Average wage increase remains a big problem though, and something needs to be done to change it. Solving the issue however isn't easy and it is reflected across much of Europe. The UK government needs to resolve matching wage increases with inflation. They've managed to do it in Germany.
UK needs too....Europe needs to....., yeah, we all know that. What was your point again and how that reflects better on the problem solving Tories?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #25193  
Old 12.12.2019, 08:27
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 918
Groaned at 347 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,027 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It's called progressive taxation and those countries you say are not socialist - Sweden and Denmark, apply it too and with great results. Even here, in CH, some of us pay more than others.

Is this an argument for voting Tories? Certainly, for some. Tories won't cut the taxes for middle classes because they also need a cow to milk. So where does that leave your argument? And what was that? Taxation?

UK needs too....Europe needs to....., yeah, we all know that. What was your point again and how that reflects better on the problem solving Tories?
If you’re unable to follow the debate or points that have been made then there’s little I can say to help you I’m afraid.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at TonyClifton for this post:
  #25194  
Old 12.12.2019, 08:30
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 918
Groaned at 347 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,027 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Please, could you remind us what is the point you are trying to make?
You have moved the goalposts so often and so quickly that you are making us dizzy.

I nominate you as groundkeeper of the week.
Quote:
View Post


Was going to say the same. He seems to change topic whenever he seems fit.

Besides that, I'd consider his behaviour here close to trolling.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_model

Definitely "socialists" for anyone on the right wing..

But yeah, when he's proven wrong he'll just change topic. Probably we'll end up in his next comment why BREXIT is the best thing since sliced bread, no arguments allowed.
The old I’ve been shown up making a daft argument (seriously, why can’t we all be like CHINA?!) so will now pivot to personal attacks instead. Jog on.
Reply With Quote
  #25195  
Old 12.12.2019, 08:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
But yeah, when he's proven wrong he'll just change topic. Probably we'll end up in his next comment why BREXIT is the best thing since sliced bread, no arguments allowed.
Nope, Brexit is a terrible idea apparently! Who knew?

Quote:
View Post
Likely more of the same? Certainly nothing that is as bad as what would happen under Jeremy Corbyn. The pound already dropped last night on news of the polls tightening. He is seen as a bigger threat to the economy than Brexit.
Quote:
View Post
I don't believe Brexit will have much of an impact on the economy one way or the other. I can see why people see it as a risk though.
Although I can see there are a few mixed messages in there...

Quote:
View Post
If you’re unable to follow the debate or points that have been made then there’s little I can say to help you I’m afraid.
Maybe people can't follow your points because you never actually make one?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25196  
Old 12.12.2019, 08:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,745
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,122 Times in 7,275 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
If you’re unable to follow the debate or points that have been made then there’s little I can say to help you I’m afraid.
Apparently the points that have been made elude a good part of the readership, my dear.

I don't think I like your tone in these debates, you replied in a similar way to a few other people here. When asked for more explanations you add nothing to the "point", you just resort to cheap put downs because Music Chick and a couple of others from your gang have no other arguments than resorting to cheap put downs and you follow their lead. It is not an indicative of higher intelligence.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #25197  
Old 12.12.2019, 09:26
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
If you’re unable to follow the debate or points that have been made then there’s little I can say to help you I’m afraid.
How dare you be so rude to a respected member of this forum.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #25198  
Old 12.12.2019, 09:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,699
Groaned at 1,063 Times in 733 Posts
Thanked 18,066 Times in 7,032 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
How dare you be so rude to a respected member of this forum.
It's even funnier because you're serious.
Reply With Quote
  #25199  
Old 12.12.2019, 09:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,745
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,122 Times in 7,275 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
How dare you be so rude to a respected member of this forum.
He was rude to Marton, to you, Sandgrounder, Rufus and probably a few more because he deemed us an unworthy clique/gang (thugs?) so everything is allowed. On the other hand, we shouldn't protest, lament, argue any idea because.....we're a clique? I guess.

Quote:
View Post
It's even funnier because you're serious.
Oh, Chuff. We're in the same boat in case you didn't notice. lol

We should form a clique with other respected members. Tbh, respect is not a word I would use to describe EF encounters and I don't think people are actually pursuing it on an internet forum. Exchange, maybe.

Btw, if you took offence on the nazi thread I did mean I respected your opinion (on that thread at least), I wasn't familiar with the lack of actual meaning native speakers attribute to that expression. Sorry.

Last edited by greenmount; 12.12.2019 at 09:50.
Reply With Quote
  #25200  
Old 12.12.2019, 09:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,699
Groaned at 1,063 Times in 733 Posts
Thanked 18,066 Times in 7,032 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
He was rude to Marton, to you, Sandgrounder, Rufus and probably a few more because he deemed us an unworthy clique/gang (thugs?) so everything is allowed. On the other hand, we shouldn't protest, lament, argue any idea because.....we're a clique? I guess.

Oh, Chuff. We're in the same boat in case you didn't notice. lol

We should form a clique with other respected members. Tbh, respect is not a word I would use to describe EF encounters and I don't think people are actually pursuing it on an internet forum. Exchange, maybe.
Spot on.

Quote:
View Post
Btw, if you took offence on the nazi thread I did mean I respected your opinion (on that thread at least), I wasn't familiar with the lack of actual meaning native speakers attribute to that expression. Sorry.
Thanks GM but I assure you that I do not take 'offence' to anything of this nature, so please never waste time thinking about that kind of stuff.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 11 (0 members and 11 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0