Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #25761  
Old 20.12.2019, 20:34
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,290
Groaned at 204 Times in 161 Posts
Thanked 6,944 Times in 3,106 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
The British people are not an homogeneous group.
The term could refer to anyone coming from the British Isles.... I recently came across one looper who believes BREXIT is the result of English people not having a cultural identity of their own - according to him Morris Dancing is not enough!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #25762  
Old 20.12.2019, 22:13
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,013
Groaned at 418 Times in 247 Posts
Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,147 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Also from the Labour Manifesto (2017)

I am not a Labour supporter but this turned out to be a reasonable forecast.
This is what makes their actions during the last Parliament seem all the more crazy! Concessions has already been made on nearly all these points and there was little likelihood anyhow of a hard Brexit with Theresa May and Phillip Hammond leading the Tories. Yet by continuously voting down the deal they’re now going to end up with a much harder form of Brexit. Madness!
Reply With Quote
  #25763  
Old 20.12.2019, 22:17
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,013
Groaned at 418 Times in 247 Posts
Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,147 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
When the objective is to maintain the status quo of the previous 40yrs, the actions to preserve that cannot be described as fanatical. You're winning at oxymorons today lad, even if your cut and paste rant went a bit wonky donkey 😂
You have my sympathies that you wished to remain a member of the EU. I understand that, but if we value democracy we respect the outcomes of democratic process and don’t try to overturn the result through any means possible.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
This user groans at TonyClifton for this post:
  #25764  
Old 20.12.2019, 22:31
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,858
Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,196 Times in 9,678 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
This is what makes their actions during the last Parliament seem all the more crazy! Concessions has already been made on nearly all these points and there was little likelihood anyhow of a hard Brexit with Theresa May and Phillip Hammond leading the Tories. Yet by continuously voting down the deal they’re now going to end up with a much harder form of Brexit. Madness!
More crazy? In Queen's English, we correctly write crazier?

"Concessions has"? In Queen's English, we correctly write "Concessions have".

"by continuously voting"? In Queen's English, we correctly write "by continually voting"

Are you sure you are not a bot?

Crazy to follow their own manifesto? What definition of crazy are you using?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #25765  
Old 20.12.2019, 22:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,998
Groaned at 336 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 14,594 Times in 7,495 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You have my sympathies that you wished to remain a member of the EU. I understand that, but if we value democracy we respect the outcomes of democratic process and don’t try to overturn the result through any means possible.
According to this logic not even this referendum could have ever taken place.

UK was a member of EU as a result of a democratic process. Some people wanted to change that. And here we are.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #25766  
Old 20.12.2019, 22:37
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,858
Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,196 Times in 9,678 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You have my sympathies that you wished to remain a member of the EU. I understand that, but if we value democracy we respect the outcomes of democratic process and don’t try to overturn the result through any means possible.
Have you ever thought about why the UK has a general election every four years? It is about understanding democracy is an evolving process and decisions made by voting should be regularly reviewed due to changing circumstances.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #25767  
Old 20.12.2019, 22:42
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,858
Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,196 Times in 9,678 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
According to this logic not even this referendum could have ever taken place.

UK was a member of EU as a result of a democratic process. Some people wanted to change that. And here we are.
I would not dignify such posts by assuming they are based on logic?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #25768  
Old 20.12.2019, 23:12
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,817
Groaned at 193 Times in 160 Posts
Thanked 13,327 Times in 6,948 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
More crazy? In Queen's English, we correctly write crazier?

"Concessions has"? In Queen's English, we correctly write "Concessions have".

"by continuously voting"? In Queen's English, we correctly write "by continually voting"

Are you sure you are not a bot?

Crazy to follow their own manifesto? What definition of crazy are you using?
Blimey, the queen sweares a lot, eih?
If all GB citizens write and speak the Queen's English or they're not real, I either met bots only for decades or I'm gonna have nightmares about the Queen's English tonight.

Having a different opinion means one is a bot. 52% of the British voters were bots. Indeed, that is freaky (all produced by bigblue2? That again must have been lucrative for him, LOL).

Okay, okay, I guess I'm not even meant to be on this thread, neither being a Brit nor a bot, so off I toddle. Pitty, could be such an interesting discussion if it ever actually became a discussion.
Yet a proper discussion might lead to a solution. And where's the fun in that?
__________________
If there is a God, then I believe he’s more insulted by religion than he is by atheism.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #25769  
Old 20.12.2019, 23:16
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
This is what makes their actions during the last Parliament seem all the more crazy! Concessions has already been made on nearly all these points and there was little likelihood anyhow of a hard Brexit with Theresa May and Phillip Hammond leading the Tories. Yet by continuously voting down the deal they’re now going to end up with a much harder form of Brexit. Madness!
At no point under Theresa May's leadership could any votge not be carried by all the Tories backing her, but you continually let the ERG off the hook. That's crazy.

Quote:
View Post
That would be the bus with the NHS slogan?
That would, perhaps, be the now fabled Brexit bus that two of my friends have been told this week "is coming to take you away and get all the monkeys out of my country". That's been said to a guy whose mother is Pakistani and a guy who's 1/4 Ghanian.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #25770  
Old 20.12.2019, 23:35
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,858
Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,196 Times in 9,678 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Blimey, the queen sweares a lot, eih?
If all GB citizens write and speak the Queen's English or they're not real, I either met bots only for decades or I'm gonna have nightmares about the Queen's English tonight.

Having a different opinion means one is a bot. 52% of the British voters were bots. Indeed, that is freaky (all produced by bigblue2? That again must have been lucrative for him, LOL).

Okay, okay, I guess I'm not even meant to be on this thread, neither being a Brit nor a bot, so off I toddle. Pitty, could be such an interesting discussion if it ever actually became a discussion.
Yet a proper discussion might lead to a solution. And where's the fun in that?
You are somewhat exaggerating
Correct they are not all bots.
Having a different opinion does not mean one is a bot.

However, that does not mean that bots do not exist and cannot be challenged?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #25771  
Old 20.12.2019, 23:41
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,013
Groaned at 418 Times in 247 Posts
Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,147 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
At no point under Theresa May's leadership could any votge not be carried by all the Tories backing her, but you continually let the ERG off the hook. That's crazy.
I don’t see why people keep bringing up the ERG, this is yet another false equivalence. The ERG’s aim was a purer form of Brexit. They gambled on blocking Mrs May’s withdrawal agreement, yet as it turned out, by the third reading many had come around to supporting it realising that Brexit itself could be lost. Had they scuppered Brexit then I would be the first to be lamenting their actions. As it was, they took a risk and won.

The difference with the Remainer MPs that blocked Mrs May’s deal is that it didn’t stop there. All the ERG did was not lend their support, the Remainer MPs went much further in their sabotage. Another point that shouldn’t be forgotten is that the ERG were on the side of the argument that had won the referendum in 2016.
Reply With Quote
  #25772  
Old 21.12.2019, 01:22
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Blah, blah, blah, fish paste! There's nothing you can say that will convince me that this was the right decision for my country, bot or not. Nobody's managed it in 4yrs and you're not going to be the one to do it. It didn't need to happen. It's caused an incredible amount of damage, fear and division. It's raised racial abuse to levels not seen in almost 40yrs, and that's before it's even happened. As for your concept of remainer remorse or remainer regret... Ha! As if!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #25773  
Old 21.12.2019, 01:31
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 626
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 786 Times in 448 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Why is it the poor Brexit voting Welsh are always get forgotten when people talk about the Union? And likewise, why is Scottish nationalism always allowed to get away with portrayal as a romantic notion whereas English nationalism is portrayed as something far more sinister?

The SNP have nothing else other than Indy Ref 2 to boost their chances in 2021. They won’t be able to avoid scrutiny of their record in government forever and for that reason I don’t expect them to win a majority.
Scottish nationalism is about setting their country free.
English nationalism is about maintaining their tyranny over the other countries.


PS. It must be very funny in your head. Scotland has the best quality of life in the UK thanks to the SNP government. But if we were to believe you, the SNP is doomed.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank lewton for this useful post:
  #25774  
Old 21.12.2019, 10:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Scottish nationalism is about setting their country free.
English nationalism is about maintaining their tyranny over the other countries.


PS. It must be very funny in your head. Scotland has the best quality of life in the UK thanks to the SNP government. But if we were to believe you, the SNP is doomed.
Civic nationalism vs ethnic nationalism...I did explain this many times on this thread, but shockingly TC has failed to take it on board.

Interesting and probably pertinent stats here:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...ividing-britai

Essentially, the fewer years you've spent in education, the more likely you are to vote Tory. Make of that what you will.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25775  
Old 21.12.2019, 11:05
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,804
Groaned at 423 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 19,916 Times in 10,652 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Essentially, the fewer years you've spent in education, the more likely you are to vote Tory. Make of that what you will.
The reality is that 83% of people don't repay their student loans in full, so are subsidised by people with a lower level of education who have paid taxes for 5 years longer. Make of that what you will Basically the less educated are not as stupid as you would like them to be! If you have been living a subsidised life then voting Labour makes sense.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #25776  
Old 21.12.2019, 11:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,045
Groaned at 291 Times in 220 Posts
Thanked 18,210 Times in 6,380 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
UK was a member of EU as a result of a democratic process.
An advisory referendum.
Reply With Quote
  #25777  
Old 21.12.2019, 12:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The reality is that 83% of people don't repay their student loans in full, so are subsidised by people with a lower level of education who have paid taxes for 5 years longer. Make of that what you will Basically the less educated are not as stupid as you would like them to be! If you have been living a subsidised life then voting Labour makes sense.
I didn’t draw any conclusions, just presented the facts. Seems they are somewhat triggering.

I daresay that on average people with higher education will earn more in the long run, so they are really subsidising their former selves, aren’t they? The amount of people earning enough to pay any decent sum of tax between the ages of 18-21 must be tiny, so I doubt they pay enough to cover themselves, nevermind subsidise others.
Reply With Quote
  #25778  
Old 21.12.2019, 13:47
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,013
Groaned at 418 Times in 247 Posts
Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,147 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Scottish nationalism is about setting their country free.
English nationalism is about maintaining their tyranny over the other countries.


PS. It must be very funny in your head. Scotland has the best quality of life in the UK thanks to the SNP government. But if we were to believe you, the SNP is doomed.
It’s sad that you think this way. The Scots have control over education, health, laws and judiciary, local government, housing, environment, social care, agriculture as well as many other things. When they spend more money than they take in tax revenue, which they invariably do as the SNP is running the country, then the rest of the UK bails them out. If the English are tyrants, then they are perhaps the most benevolent tyrants ever known!!
Reply With Quote
  #25779  
Old 21.12.2019, 13:50
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,013
Groaned at 418 Times in 247 Posts
Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,147 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Civic nationalism vs ethnic nationalism...I did explain this many times on this thread, but shockingly TC has failed to take it on board.

Interesting and probably pertinent stats here:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...ividing-britai

Essentially, the fewer years you've spent in education, the more likely you are to vote Tory. Make of that what you will.
And the poor Welsh still keep getting forgotten! England is historically far more ethnically diverse than Scotland so this argument doesn’t make sense!
Reply With Quote
  #25780  
Old 21.12.2019, 13:52
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,013
Groaned at 418 Times in 247 Posts
Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,147 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Blah, blah, blah, fish paste! There's nothing you can say that will convince me that this was the right decision for my country, bot or not. Nobody's managed it in 4yrs and you're not going to be the one to do it. It didn't need to happen. It's caused an incredible amount of damage, fear and division. It's raised racial abuse to levels not seen in almost 40yrs, and that's before it's even happened. As for your concept of remainer remorse or remainer regret... Ha! As if!
I’ve not been trying to convince you on whether it was the correct decision or not. I respect that you wish for the UK to remain in the EU. All I ask is that the result of the referendum be respected.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (0 members and 7 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0