Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #25921  
Old 29.12.2019, 16:56
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,357
Groaned at 412 Times in 306 Posts
Thanked 19,281 Times in 10,372 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You'd be wrong.
Approximately 500k people have the surname Smith in the UK, whereas the average attendance in the English Premier League alone averages 750k per week this season. https://www.worldfootball.net/attend...20/1/#redirect
Actually not if you add people with Surname Brown & Jones to the 500K Smiths it would exceed the 750k you talk about.
Reply With Quote
  #25922  
Old 29.12.2019, 19:28
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Actually not if you add people with Surname Brown & Jones to the 500K Smiths it would exceed the 750k you talk about.
Pity that your proverbial goal posts were otherwise then

Quote:
View Post
Fairly low bar then, I suspect more people have the Surname Smith, Jones or Brown than watch football each week
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #25923  
Old 29.12.2019, 20:20
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,357
Groaned at 412 Times in 306 Posts
Thanked 19,281 Times in 10,372 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Pity that your proverbial goal posts were otherwise then
750.000 in total as some sort of majority of people living in the UK, thats quite funny when the BREXIT vote had over a 1,000,000 more leave votes than remain & most of those changed their minds but still voted Tory
Reply With Quote
  #25924  
Old 29.12.2019, 20:47
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
750.000 in total ...
Not in total at all. That 750,000 is just the average number who attend English Premier League matches each week so far this season. There are a number of other leagues to consider.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #25925  
Old 29.12.2019, 21:35
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 919
Groaned at 347 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,029 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Just as I put my thoughts down on the challenges the EU faces next year, the Guardian newspaper has printed an article that highlights this (I’ve linked to it below). Due to the gaping hole left by the UK’s departure, they are already having to look where cuts have to be made.

As certain member states that have spent their entire membership receiving money from the EU are expected to pay more in, I expect to see an increase in euroskepticism from these countries. I doubt this will lead them to leave in the same way as the UK has (the embarrassing and very public disaster of the last 3.5 years is enough to put anyone off!) however I do expect to see an increase in disruption from these states from within the EU. For the EU this could be even worse than if they were to just leave!

With the strong leadership the UK now has, there shouldn’t be any problem in telling the EU exactly what she wants, as has been the case for the last three and a half years. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that Brexit actually becomes the sideshow in 2020 to the real issues the EU faces in holding together a fragile Union from the challenges it faces from within.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-cost-savings
Reply With Quote
  #25926  
Old 30.12.2019, 06:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,748
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,126 Times in 7,278 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Just as I put my thoughts down on the challenges the EU faces next year, the Guardian newspaper has printed an article that highlights this (I’ve linked to it below). Due to the gaping hole left by the UK’s departure, they are already having to look where cuts have to be made.

As certain member states that have spent their entire membership receiving money from the EU are expected to pay more in, I expect to see an increase in euroskepticism from these countries. I doubt this will lead them to leave in the same way as the UK has (the embarrassing and very public disaster of the last 3.5 years is enough to put anyone off!) however I do expect to see an increase in disruption from these states from within the EU. For the EU this could be even worse than if they were to just leave!

With the strong leadership the UK now has, there shouldn’t be any problem in telling the EU exactly what she wants, as has been the case for the last three and a half years. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that Brexit actually becomes the sideshow in 2020 to the real issues the EU faces in holding together a fragile Union from the challenges it faces from within.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-cost-savings
The so-called "euroscepticism" is already a bit of a phenomenon in various forms or degrees almost everywhere across EU - so rest assured there's a relative dose of criticism pretty much everywhere. However, it's mostly restricted to certain demographics and the kind of politicians who want to capitalise on this sort of stuff and who, surprise surprise, are otherwise incapable of offering any solutions to any current problems. So nothing will really change in these terms. I can see "disruptions" from countries like Italy or Spain who are not very happy to comply with EU's financial and budgetary policies, but they'll come around...once they will be reminded they're far worse outside EU.

But how sweet of you to worry so much about EU and the effects of Brexit. And about everyone else, really.
Reply With Quote
  #25927  
Old 30.12.2019, 07:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Not in total at all. That 750,000 is just the average number who attend English Premier League matches each week so far this season. There are a number of other leagues to consider.
The other classic non football fan sign - one who believes that the premier league is the only show in town.

As you say, hundreds of games outside the PL take place every weekend too, indeed there are a further 36 games in the football league alone.

According to the FA, over 8m people al in the UK are involved in playing football at some level...

http://www.thefa.com/news/2015/jan/2...pation-on-rise

You can bet the vast majority of those are fans too.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25928  
Old 30.12.2019, 08:45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
The other classic non football fan sign - one who believes that the premier league is the only show in town.

As you say, hundreds of games outside the PL take place every weekend too, indeed there are a further 36 games in the football league alone.

According to the FA, over 8m people al in the UK are involved in playing football at some level...

http://www.thefa.com/news/2015/jan/2...pation-on-rise

You can bet the vast majority of those are fans too.
Reminds me of David Cameron and his now famous inability to decide if he was an Aston Villa fan or a West Ham fan.

Although in his defence, at least he appreciated that showing a modicum of interest in footie might win him votes given its popularity in the UK. Rather than seeing it as an interest held by ‘a tiny majority’.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25929  
Old 30.12.2019, 09:44
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,208
Groaned at 195 Times in 155 Posts
Thanked 6,716 Times in 3,026 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The so-called "euroscepticism" is already a bit of a phenomenon in various forms or degrees almost everywhere across EU - so rest assured there's a relative dose of criticism pretty much everywhere.
There is criticism and a desire for change in every member state, but there is very little ‘scepticicism’ in most states. The EU has changed dramatically over the past 40 years and will do so going forward, but most likely not in a direction that BREXITEERS would like.

One area that is likely to see big change is the defense industry. A key feature of what the BREXITEERS refer to as the European Army is coordinated logistics and with the EU being the biggest spender on military hardware next to the US, I expect that will have a big impact on the Industry.
__________________
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." - Nelson Mandela
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #25930  
Old 30.12.2019, 09:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Reminds me of David Cameron and his now famous inability to decide if he was an Aston Villa fan or a West Ham fan.

Although in his defence, at least he appreciated that showing a modicum of interest in footie might win him votes given its popularity in the UK. Rather than seeing it as an interest held by ‘a tiny majority’.
To be fair, both Villa and the Hammers play in claret and blue.

It's an easy mistake to make if you've never watched a minute's football in your life.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25931  
Old 30.12.2019, 14:15
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 919
Groaned at 347 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,029 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The so-called "euroscepticism" is already a bit of a phenomenon in various forms or degrees almost everywhere across EU - so rest assured there's a relative dose of criticism pretty much everywhere. However, it's mostly restricted to certain demographics and the kind of politicians who want to capitalise on this sort of stuff and who, surprise surprise, are otherwise incapable of offering any solutions to any current problems. So nothing will really change in these terms. I can see "disruptions" from countries like Italy or Spain who are not very happy to comply with EU's financial and budgetary policies, but they'll come around...once they will be reminded they're far worse outside EU.

But how sweet of you to worry so much about EU and the effects of Brexit. And about everyone else, really.
They won’t come around as they already know they would be worse off outside the EU, they won’t come around because there is no effective mechanism the EU has for dealing with disruptive states! Article 7 simply doesn’t work, this means states can ignore EU rules and the worst that they can get is a slap on the wrist.

Quote:
View Post
There is criticism and a desire for change in every member state, but there is very little ‘scepticicism’ in most states. The EU has changed dramatically over the past 40 years and will do so going forward, but most likely not in a direction that BREXITEERS would like.

One area that is likely to see big change is the defense industry. A key feature of what the BREXITEERS refer to as the European Army is coordinated logistics and with the EU being the biggest spender on military hardware next to the US, I expect that will have a big impact on the Industry.
I’m afraid this couldn’t be further from the truth. There is little consensus with in bloc on how to address economic challenges and what role the EU should play on the global stage as well as well as the direction the judiciary is taking in certain member states. The more the EU commission forces it’s agenda, the more resistance and disruption it shall see. This will begin with the EU budget negotiations and I expect will get more challenging in the next 24 months.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
This user groans at TonyClifton for this post:
  #25932  
Old 30.12.2019, 14:37
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,656
Groaned at 190 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,125 Times in 6,848 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

marton, look what you wrote back in 2013
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #25933  
Old 30.12.2019, 22:08
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,744
Groaned at 429 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 17,800 Times in 9,502 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Those comments on tariffs were made by the previous government as the prospect of a no deal Brexit loomed large. There is now a new government in position who have very different and more ambitious aims to that of Mrs May’s government.

Also regarding the Good Friday Agreement, the withdrawal agreement due to be signed in January will preserve the open border whatever the outcome of trade negotiations. There will be no way this will be used as an excuse to hinder UK-US talks (I don’t actually believe it would have any effect regardless).
It may well be that "Those comments on tariffs were made by the previous government" but they are certainly believed by the Canadians who have now withdrawn from UK trade deal negotiations.

You may not want to believe the statement by the US Speaker Nancy Pelosi but I do. On 4th December 2019 US Congress approved
Quote:
A resolution outlining support for the Good Friday Agreement as US support for Ireland in the face of Brexit continues to grow.

The resolution on the Good Friday Agreement also warns that a trade deal between the United States and Britain could be in jeopardy if the principles of the peace process are undermined.

“The Congress also insisted that any new [US] trade deal with Britain must be contingent on meeting the obligations of the Good Friday Agreement including the continued incorporation into law of the European Convention on Human Rights.”
Seems this was another fact-free post from you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #25934  
Old 31.12.2019, 02:15
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,208
Groaned at 195 Times in 155 Posts
Thanked 6,716 Times in 3,026 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You may not want to believe the statement by the US Speaker Nancy Pelosi but I do. On 4th December 2019 US Congress approved
Ah now, fair play to poor Tony, he is right it won’t hinder trade talks nor the conclusion of a trade deal, but just like the Trump’s Canadian deal it will just sit there unapproved.

And I see the EU’s Trade Commissioner, Big Phil, home for the holidays in Ireland has said Boris will have to break his promise and ask for another extension because no deal will be done in 2020 unless Boris accepts all the terms and conditions set out by the EU.
Reply With Quote
  #25935  
Old 31.12.2019, 09:19
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 919
Groaned at 347 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,029 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It may well be that "Those comments on tariffs were made by the previous government" but they are certainly believed by the Canadians who have now withdrawn from UK trade deal negotiations.

You may not want to believe the statement by the US Speaker Nancy Pelosi but I do. On 4th December 2019 US Congress approved


Seems this was another fact-free post from you.
Nancy Pelosi isn’t going to be around for much longer, and she is anyhow preoccupied with the crazy impeachment that will see her party lose the election next year. Pulling my hair out over that one but that’s another story!

You have either missed the point, or simply have chosen to ignore that the Good Friday Agreement is not under threat as soon as the withdrawal agreement is signed next month. Congress will have no reason to block a potential trade deal on those grounds!
Reply With Quote
  #25936  
Old 31.12.2019, 14:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,748
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,126 Times in 7,278 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
There is criticism and a desire for change in every member state, but there is very little ‘scepticicism’ in most states. The EU has changed dramatically over the past 40 years and will do so going forward, but most likely not in a direction that BREXITEERS would like.
.
I think you're right. I used that term because some people seem to like it soo much...
Reply With Quote
  #25937  
Old 31.12.2019, 15:26
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,744
Groaned at 429 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 17,800 Times in 9,502 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Nancy Pelosi isn’t going to be around for much longer, and she is anyhow preoccupied with the crazy impeachment that will see her party lose the election next year. Pulling my hair out over that one but that’s another story!

You have either missed the point, or simply have chosen to ignore that the Good Friday Agreement is not under threat as soon as the withdrawal agreement is signed next month. Congress will have no reason to block a potential trade deal on those grounds!
You miss the point that Nancy will be around a long time
Reply With Quote
  #25938  
Old 31.12.2019, 15:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,961
Groaned at 288 Times in 217 Posts
Thanked 17,899 Times in 6,283 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You miss the point that Nancy will be around a long time
I really hope for her, as she is 79.
Reply With Quote
  #25939  
Old 31.12.2019, 15:46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 330
Groaned at 35 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 758 Times in 389 Posts
John William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You miss the point that Nancy will be around a long time
And there's still a big majority of anti-Trump Democrats in the Senate no matter whether Nancy stays
or goes, who have the bit between their teeth, now that Impeachments taken off.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John William for this useful post:
  #25940  
Old 31.12.2019, 16:23
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,208
Groaned at 195 Times in 155 Posts
Thanked 6,716 Times in 3,026 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You miss the point that Nancy will be around a long time
Tony does not understand much about US politics... it would be very hard to find any US politician on either side that would vote for anything that endangers the Good Friday agreement, there are too many votes in it to be branded the politician that cause things to kick off again in NI.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 13 (0 members and 13 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0