Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #27141  
Old 29.03.2020, 16:57
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,858
Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,196 Times in 9,678 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
This is the point, Germany have already started to struggle for a lack of asparagus pickers. It has nothing to do with Brexit.
Apparently since Brexit, UK has a lack of pheasant pluckers.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #27142  
Old 29.03.2020, 17:42
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,928
Groaned at 82 Times in 78 Posts
Thanked 18,310 Times in 8,180 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
One wonders how they used to get fruit and veg picked before they had immigrants to do it for them.
Back in the day it was mostly small, family-owned farms producing foods for locals as opposed to giant commercial corporations mass-producing fruit, veg and livestock. People ate local foods when in season and didn't import/export off-season. There were mostly local butchers and bakers and shops, not massive supermarkets, for example.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #27143  
Old 29.03.2020, 17:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,046
Groaned at 291 Times in 220 Posts
Thanked 18,222 Times in 6,383 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
This is the point, Germany have already started to struggle for a lack of asparagus pickers. It has nothing to do with Brexit.
Such a pity that the unemployed in these countries really can't help
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #27144  
Old 29.03.2020, 18:52
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bern
Posts: 289
Groaned at 201 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 995 Times in 467 Posts
Full Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Back in the day it was mostly small, family-owned farms producing foods for locals as opposed to giant commercial corporations mass-producing fruit, veg and livestock. People ate local foods when in season and didn't import/export off-season. There were mostly local butchers and bakers and shops, not massive supermarkets, for example.
That's true. People used to get paid a fair days wage too.
Reply With Quote
  #27145  
Old 29.03.2020, 18:58
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,290
Groaned at 204 Times in 161 Posts
Thanked 6,945 Times in 3,106 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
And somewhere along the line it clicked that it was much more profitable to simply exploit foreign labour instead.
So how many voters do you think will vote in a party that has overseen the increase in the cost fresh fruit and vegetables by say 20% - 25%??? Because in the end that is what it comes down to.

And remember in the UK, the farmer and the land owner are not the same think...
Reply With Quote
  #27146  
Old 29.03.2020, 19:02
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,858
Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,196 Times in 9,678 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
That's true. People used to get paid a fair days wage too.
LOL! You are funny.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #27147  
Old 29.03.2020, 19:26
Raffles's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: In the shadows of your mind.
Posts: 157
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 344 Times in 144 Posts
Raffles has a reputation beyond reputeRaffles has a reputation beyond reputeRaffles has a reputation beyond reputeRaffles has a reputation beyond reputeRaffles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Apparently since Brexit, UK has a lack of pheasant pluckers.
I hear their sons are finding work elsewhere also.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Raffles for this useful post:
  #27148  
Old 29.03.2020, 19:45
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bern
Posts: 289
Groaned at 201 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 995 Times in 467 Posts
Full Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So how many voters do you think will vote in a party that has overseen the increase in the cost fresh fruit and vegetables by say 20% - 25%??? Because in the end that is what it comes down to.

And remember in the UK, the farmer and the land owner are not the same think...
This is like deja vu, we discussed this and a lot of the problems involved about 10 pages back.

I realise it's not easy and that any changes made would take a lot of time yet I'm not convinced that continually importing immigrants who are willing to work for shitty conditions is a long term solution.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Full Circle for this useful post:
  #27149  
Old 29.03.2020, 20:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,046
Groaned at 291 Times in 220 Posts
Thanked 18,222 Times in 6,383 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So how many voters do you think will vote in a party that has overseen the increase in the cost fresh fruit and vegetables by say 20% - 25%??? Because in the end that is what it comes down to.
a price increase is not a bad thing as you will have fair wages on short term and a trigger for innovation on the long term. much better than a price race to the bottom.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #27150  
Old 29.03.2020, 20:07
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,290
Groaned at 204 Times in 161 Posts
Thanked 6,945 Times in 3,106 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
This is like deja vu, we discussed this and a lot of the problems involved about 10 pages back.

I realise it's not easy and that any changes made would take a lot of time yet I'm not convinced that continually importing immigrants who are willing to work for shitty conditions is a long term solution.
And the answer is still the same it will change until the voters are willing to accept it. Politicians do why get's them elected.
Reply With Quote
  #27151  
Old 29.03.2020, 20:16
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bern
Posts: 289
Groaned at 201 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 995 Times in 467 Posts
Full Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
And the answer is still the same it will change until the voters are willing to accept it. Politicians do why get's them elected.
Like Brexit?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Full Circle for this useful post:
  #27152  
Old 29.03.2020, 21:11
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,858
Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,196 Times in 9,678 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
a price increase is not a bad thing as you will have fair wages on short term and a trigger for innovation on the long term. much better than a price race to the bottom.
In these days of UK National Minimum Wage and UK National Living Wage, your claims of unfair wages are as outdated as other posts.
Reply With Quote
  #27153  
Old 29.03.2020, 21:19
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,015
Groaned at 418 Times in 247 Posts
Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,149 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
a price increase is not a bad thing as you will have fair wages on short term and a trigger for innovation on the long term. much better than a price race to the bottom.
Exactly this, they either need to pay a reasonable wage, or make some capital investment in automation and technology.
Reply With Quote
  #27154  
Old 09.04.2020, 17:22
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,858
Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,196 Times in 9,678 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Positive reports today about Boris and his steady progress to recovery.

After at least three days in intensive care, I doubt he will be ready for the rigours of the PM job for a long time. Other COV-19 survivors after intensive care report they are very weak and can only resume a fraction of the previous activities.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #27155  
Old 09.04.2020, 17:41
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 4,284
Groaned at 161 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 7,447 Times in 3,413 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Positive reports today about Boris and his steady progress to recovery.

After at least three days in intensive care, I doubt he will be ready for the rigours of the PM job for a long time. Other COV-19 survivors after intensive care report they are very weak and can only resume a fraction of the previous activities.
Still wondering about the contradictory nature of some reports. Earlier today he was supposed to be off Oxygen, an hour or so ago I read in a ticker he was still on it.
Reply With Quote
  #27156  
Old 09.04.2020, 17:57
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,445
Groaned at 173 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 4,863 Times in 1,878 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Still wondering about the contradictory nature of some reports. Earlier today he was supposed to be off Oxygen, an hour or so ago I read in a ticker he was still on it.
I think despite what they say about being open, they'll keep it fairly secret because of the possible impact to the country stability etc - if they tell us he's deteriorating and could soon die it has financial impacts on the markets and so on. Until he is fully out of ICU I would just consider him very unwell whatever they might be saying about him sitting up etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #27157  
Old 09.04.2020, 20:17
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,824
Groaned at 423 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 19,937 Times in 10,665 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Still wondering about the contradictory nature of some reports. Earlier today he was supposed to be off Oxygen, an hour or so ago I read in a ticker he was still on it.
I was taken off Oxygen 8 days after my ski accident, then resumed with oxygen for another 5 days.
Reply With Quote
  #27158  
Old 09.04.2020, 23:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Still wondering about the contradictory nature of some reports. Earlier today he was supposed to be off Oxygen, an hour or so ago I read in a ticker he was still on it.
He'd been on positive push (term?) Oxygen, so not intubated but with steady oxygen being introduced to his system.
Reply With Quote
  #27159  
Old 10.04.2020, 11:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,997
Groaned at 336 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 14,603 Times in 7,498 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Apparently since Brexit, UK has a lack of pheasant pluckers.
Is UK practically still in the EU i.e. do they have coordinated actions re. corona virus crisis?
Asking for a friend.


On a more serious note, I'm asking because I don't follow Brexit anymore. It's been tiring and senseless.

Many EFers were always claiming UK is not in Europe, so each to their own.
Reply With Quote
  #27160  
Old 10.04.2020, 12:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Is UK practically still in the EU i.e. do they have coordinated actions re. corona virus crisis?
Asking for a friend.


On a more serious note, I'm asking because I don't follow Brexit anymore. It's been tiring and senseless.

Many EFers were always claiming UK is not in Europe, so each to their own.
Is the EU itself actually significantly coordinating (not a dig but a genuine question)?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 12 (0 members and 12 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0