Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #29361  
Old 11.02.2021, 14:48
eng_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Up where the air is clear
Posts: 1,767
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 1,786 Times in 904 Posts
eng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Going to live in the UK has just got more difficult for some

Quote:
View Post
(fortunately his non EU wife got a really good job with a big Brewery, and was able to take him back to his native UK on her wage).
That's not possible any more. It's the British citizen who has to earn the minimum salary. There was a family in the news a couple of years ago, British mother, Australian father, dual national kids; the father was offered a job with a 6-figure salary in London but wasn't allowed to take it up because his British wife wasn't earning the £18,600.

It's an issue exercising lots of Brits in Europe; if they need to return with their EU spouses after the end of March next year to look after elderly parents, they will have huge problems if they also have to earn the minimum salary in order to actually move back. Needless to say, it's going to hit women disproportionately as they tend to be the carers without time to earn the requisite amount.
__________________
Charter our yacht in Greece
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank eng_ch for this useful post:
  #29362  
Old 11.02.2021, 14:59
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Going to live in the UK has just got more difficult for some

Quote:
View Post
That's not possible any more. It's the British citizen who has to earn the minimum salary. There was a family in the news a couple of years ago, British mother, Australian father, dual national kids; the father was offered a job with a 6-figure salary in London but wasn't allowed to take it up because his British wife wasn't earning the £18,600.

It's an issue exercising lots of Brits in Europe; if they need to return with their EU spouses after the end of March next year to look after elderly parents, they will have huge problems if they also have to earn the minimum salary in order to actually move back. Needless to say, it's going to hit women disproportionately as they tend to be the carers without time to earn the requisite amount.
ok so I might look silly here but this has to be complete rhubarb. it doesn't make sense at all. You are saying a british person returning to Britain has to have a job lined up or they won't be allowed to ? Its completely impossible - it would open the idea that if a visa ran out in the other country the citizen would be rendered stateless, not allowed to stay in their country and not allowed to return to their country of citizenship.
Reply With Quote
  #29363  
Old 11.02.2021, 15:22
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,622
Groaned at 579 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 20,893 Times in 10,976 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Going to live in the UK has just got more difficult for some

Quote:
View Post
ok so I might look silly here but this has to be complete rhubarb. it doesn't make sense at all. You are saying a british person returning to Britain has to have a job lined up or they won't be allowed to ? Its completely impossible - it would open the idea that if a visa ran out in the other country the citizen would be rendered stateless, not allowed to stay in their country and not allowed to return to their country of citizenship.
No, a British person with a non British spouse returning to Britain as a family.

The only alternative is to return alone.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #29364  
Old 11.02.2021, 15:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Going to live in the UK has just got more difficult for some

Quote:
View Post
That's not possible any more. It's the British citizen who has to earn the minimum salary. There was a family in the news a couple of years ago, British mother, Australian father, dual national kids; the father was offered a job with a 6-figure salary in London but wasn't allowed to take it up because his British wife wasn't earning the £18,600.

It's an issue exercising lots of Brits in Europe; if they need to return with their EU spouses after the end of March next year to look after elderly parents, they will have huge problems if they also have to earn the minimum salary in order to actually move back. Needless to say, it's going to hit women disproportionately as they tend to be the carers without time to earn the requisite amount.
Quote:
View Post
No, a British person with a non British spouse returning to Britain as a family.

The only alternative is to return alone.
This is what i expect. however the example given is not this.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Mikers for this post:
  #29365  
Old 11.02.2021, 15:34
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,486
Groaned at 251 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 22,669 Times in 9,257 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Going to live in the UK has just got more difficult for some

Quote:
View Post
This is what i expect. however the example given is not this.
How is it not that?

A British woman wishing to return with her Australian husband and dual nationality kids is exactly that isn’t she?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #29366  
Old 11.02.2021, 16:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Going to live in the UK has just got more difficult for some

Quote:
View Post
How is it not that?

A British woman wishing to return with her Australian husband and dual nationality kids is exactly that isn’t she?
The husband - australian - is earning a six figure salary. the description that if one partner is earning more than 100k then they cannot return to the UK unless the british spouse also has a job of 18,600GBP or above ?

I don't buy it. I can see there is a need for 18.6k to support your partner, but in the case where the partner fulfills by a distance this amount - lets say they earned 10 million pounds a year - they would be refused entry to the UK because the british spouse does not have an 18.6k job ?

Cannot be true.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #29367  
Old 11.02.2021, 18:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 2,698
Groaned at 344 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 2,890 Times in 1,452 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

In the meantime, the Brexiters now just cannot accept the one thing they insisted upon from the beginning, and especially since Johnson became PM. And can't accept that Barnier and the EU are now repeating the mantra

Brexit means Brexit !

Watching the silly Kate Hoey (Farage's perhaps only friends from the Labour Party)- join the ERG and the Ulster Unionists like Paisley and Arlene Foster, now say 'they didn't know what they were voting for'' is just beyond belief.

If I may, as no reply has been given, repeat my earlier question:

''I would be interested in knowing from our resident Brexiters what solutions, viable, and which will not result in bloodshed- they would envisage to solve this one? Thanks.


https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rema...4009023207107/

Last edited by JackieH; 11.02.2021 at 19:14.
Reply With Quote
  #29368  
Old 11.02.2021, 18:58
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Going to live in the UK has just got more difficult for some

Quote:
View Post
The husband - australian - is earning a six figure salary. the description that if one partner is earning more than 100k then they cannot return to the UK unless the british spouse also has a job of 18,600GBP or above ?

I don't buy it. I can see there is a need for 18.6k to support your partner, but in the case where the partner fulfills by a distance this amount - lets say they earned 10 million pounds a year - they would be refused entry to the UK because the british spouse does not have an 18.6k job ?

Cannot be true.
Family reunification - Geneva convention of human rights. Simples.
Reply With Quote
  #29369  
Old 11.02.2021, 19:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Here
Posts: 512
Groaned at 59 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 1,470 Times in 523 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Going to live in the UK has just got more difficult for some

Quote:
View Post
The husband - australian - is earning a six figure salary. the description that if one partner is earning more than 100k then they cannot return to the UK unless the british spouse also has a job of 18,600GBP or above ?

I don't buy it. I can see there is a need for 18.6k to support your partner, but in the case where the partner fulfills by a distance this amount - lets say they earned 10 million pounds a year - they would be refused entry to the UK because the british spouse does not have an 18.6k job ?

Cannot be true.
It likely is. Bear in mind the Child Benefit rule where both parents could earn 49999 each and they would still receive CB, but one parent earning 50k plus and another earning nothung is ineligible.
Reply With Quote
  #29370  
Old 11.02.2021, 22:00
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Going to live in the UK has just got more difficult for some

Quote:
View Post
It likely is. Bear in mind the Child Benefit rule where both parents could earn 49999 each and they would still receive CB, but one parent earning 50k plus and another earning nothung is ineligible.
Its the joint income https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/proof-income

So its as we would expect - and switzerland uses - between you, you must be able to support yourself. It isnt the case that a British person cannot return to the UK unless they have a salary of 18600GBP, which makes sense.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #29371  
Old 12.02.2021, 00:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 2,698
Groaned at 344 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 2,890 Times in 1,452 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
If I may, as no reply has been given, repeat my earlier question:

''I would be interested in knowing from our resident Brexiters what solutions, viable, and which will not result in bloodshed- they would envisage to solve this one? Thanks.
No-one, at all?
Reply With Quote
  #29372  
Old 12.02.2021, 11:40
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,622
Groaned at 579 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 20,893 Times in 10,976 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

The European derivatives market worth hundreds of billions has shifted from London to New York due to Brexit. London's market share has fallen by 75%.

For now, derivatives brokers “have taken a pragmatic route as it was simpler to trade and report swaps in the U.S. where overseas rules were simplified last year, while regulators in the EU determine which post-Brexit rules should apply,” said Alex McDonald, head of the European Venues and Intermediaries Association.

Interest rate swaps denominated in U.K. pounds also moved to Wall Street, taking U.S. venues’ share to almost 23%, compared to about 11% in the month before the Brexit transition period ended.
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
  #29373  
Old 12.02.2021, 11:48
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The European derivatives market worth hundreds of billions has shifted from London to New York due to Brexit. London's market share has fallen by 75%.

For now, derivatives brokers “have taken a pragmatic route as it was simpler to trade and report swaps in the U.S. where overseas rules were simplified last year, while regulators in the EU determine which post-Brexit rules should apply,” said Alex McDonald, head of the European Venues and Intermediaries Association.

Interest rate swaps denominated in U.K. pounds also moved to Wall Street, taking U.S. venues’ share to almost 23%, compared to about 11% in the month before the Brexit transition period ended.
Remind me who is the biggest player in swaps? Goldman Sachs of course are they a British co?
Reply With Quote
  #29374  
Old 12.02.2021, 12:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Remind me who is the biggest player in swaps? Goldman Sachs of course are they a British co?
That has absolutely no bearing on the fact that the UK market share for swaps has fallen by 75%, according to marton's post, and even interest rat swaps in GBP are moving to the US.

Does a country have to be the leading player in an industry for its collapse to have any impact? That's like saying "never mind that Novartis is moving out of Switzerland, the US has larger pharma companies".
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #29375  
Old 12.02.2021, 13:07
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
That has absolutely no bearing on the fact that the UK market share for swaps has fallen by 75%, according to marton's post, and even interest rat swaps in GBP are moving to the US.

Does a country have to be the leading player in an industry for its collapse to have any impact? That's like saying "never mind that Novartis is moving out of Switzerland, the US has larger pharma companies".
Profits remain the same to the share holders of Goldman, regardless of where the trade is done. The profits don't belong to the UK, but to the shareholders of GS so it's neutral. I can trade The US stock market, London & every else from my mobile phone, the same is true for GS traders in London.

Pharma companies have factories who produce things, traders have screens, the internet connects the world.........

As a reminder the Uk's largest fund Fundsmith is run by Terry Smith who lives in Mauritius, his no 2 Julian Roberts lives in the USA & has done since the fund's inception.
Reply With Quote
  #29376  
Old 12.02.2021, 13:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 2,698
Groaned at 344 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 2,890 Times in 1,452 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

So no-one has any clue as to how to resolve the intractable issue of the border between UK and EU, NI/Ireland. As predicted- and we all knew there wasn't an acceptable solution.

What is so weird, is that even the Government, even the ERG, even so many stuanch Brexiters, who said, again and again- that they knew EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE VOTING FOR- now say, that actually, no they did not have a clue.

Brexit means Brexit, they shouted, again and again, and now they are blaming the EU because they insist that ... Brexit does mean Brexit. It is just unbelievable- sad, tragic and, in a way, hilarious in all its realistic painful way.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rema...4525833155426/

the guy is indeed a clumpet, they all are.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
This user groans at JackieH for this post:
  #29377  
Old 12.02.2021, 13:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 8,643
Groaned at 314 Times in 241 Posts
Thanked 19,851 Times in 6,917 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So no-one has any clue as to how to resolve the intractable issue of the border between UK and EU, NI/Ireland. As predicted- and we all knew there wasn't an acceptable solution.

What is so weird, is that even the Government, even the ERG, even so many stuanch Brexiters, who said, again and again- that they knew EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE VOTING FOR- now say, that actually, no they did not have a clue.

Brexit means Brexit, they shouted, again and again, and now they are blaming the EU because they insist that ... Brexit does mean Brexit. It is just unbelievable- sad, tragic and, in a way, hilarious in all its realistic painful way.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rema...4525833155426/

the guy is indeed a clumpet, they all are.
I bet those loser Brexiteers can't even solve Covid or global warming.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #29378  
Old 12.02.2021, 13:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 2,698
Groaned at 344 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 2,890 Times in 1,452 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Instead of groaning, perhaps you could give an answer. How would you solve the issue of the border between UK/NI and NI/Ireland/EU. Now that would be helpful... miraculous even.


https://fb.watch/3C9zccHzjQ/

not normally a fan of Liz Kendal, but she says it as it is.

Last edited by JackieH; 12.02.2021 at 13:56.
Reply With Quote
  #29379  
Old 12.02.2021, 13:51
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,622
Groaned at 579 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 20,893 Times in 10,976 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Profits remain the same to the share holders of Goldman, regardless of where the trade is done. The profits don't belong to the UK, but to the shareholders of GS so it's neutral. I can trade The US stock market, London & every else from my mobile phone, the same is true for GS traders in London.

Pharma companies have factories who produce things, traders have screens, the internet connects the world.........

As a reminder the Uk's largest fund Fundsmith is run by Terry Smith who lives in Mauritius, his no 2 Julian Roberts lives in the USA & has done since the fund's inception.
Adroitly ignoring the simple fact that UK financial services sector contributes around £80bn per year to the UK public purse if the trading moves away so then does the tax income.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #29380  
Old 12.02.2021, 14:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Here
Posts: 512
Groaned at 59 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 1,470 Times in 523 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Adroitly ignoring the simple fact that UK financial services sector contributes around £80bn per year to the UK public purse if the trading moves away so then does the tax income.
Ah... but personal gain remains, so that's the main thing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (0 members and 7 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0