Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5381  
Old 23.09.2016, 15:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 690
Groaned at 49 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,081 Times in 622 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Are the EU and Boris Johnson trying to force Theresa May's hand, or is she leaving it to them to disclose government policy?


Donald Tusk says Brexit talks 'likely' early 2017 after speaking to May ("A Downing Street source, however, said on Saturday that May did not specifically mention January or February at the meeting, and that Tusk’s comments were an interpretation of their conversation.")


UK aims to trigger Brexit process in early 2017, says Boris Johnson ("However, Downing Street pointedly declined to back up Johnson’s contention.")
Boris defies Theresa May as he backs 'hard Brexit' campaign
Reply With Quote
  #5382  
Old 23.09.2016, 16:32
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Are the EU and Boris Johnson trying to force Theresa May's hand, or is she leaving it to them to disclose government policy?


Donald Tusk says Brexit talks 'likely' early 2017 after speaking to May ("A Downing Street source, however, said on Saturday that May did not specifically mention January or February at the meeting, and that Tusk’s comments were an interpretation of their conversation.")


UK aims to trigger Brexit process in early 2017, says Boris Johnson ("However, Downing Street pointedly declined to back up Johnson’s contention.")
Boris defies Theresa May as he backs 'hard Brexit' campaign
Simply confirms what I have posted several times here that the Govt. does not have a consensus plan on the way forward.

Not surprising since the various Leaver factions also did not have a consensus view before the referendum and now seem to have lost interest in campaigning on "next steps",.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #5383  
Old 23.09.2016, 17:18
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 690
Groaned at 49 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,081 Times in 622 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I wonder if Theresa May is less pro-Remain than Remainers would like to believe. Has she appointed Brexiteers to Brexit positions because she's planning a hard Brexit, and is seeming to be cagey and/or to contradict Brexiteers' pronouncements in an attempt to keep Remainers in her cabinet/party on board, and by the time the negotiations conclude she'll be singing the same tune as the Brexiteers?


But maybe they're just disorganised (unless that's wishful thinking from a Remainer point of view!)
Reply With Quote
  #5384  
Old 23.09.2016, 17:26
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,812
Groaned at 213 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 20,760 Times in 8,843 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I wonder if Theresa May is less pro-Remain than Remainers would like to believe. Has she appointed Brexiteers to Brexit positions because she's planning a hard Brexit, and is seeming to be cagey and/or to contradict Brexiteers' pronouncements in an attempt to keep Remainers in her cabinet/party on board, and by the time the negotiations conclude she'll be singing the same tune as the Brexiteers?


But maybe they're just disorganised (unless that's wishful thinking from a Remainer point of view!)
Under normal conditions, if a remainer were given a mandate to push through the Brexit, I think a lot of people would be suspicious and suspect she might seek to sabotage the process from within. Any failure could be interpreted as either intentional or lack of will and be held against here for years to come. So she really needs to overperform in order to dispel such suspicion. Her behvaiour is thus entirely rational seeing the conditions.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #5385  
Old 23.09.2016, 18:15
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,487
Groaned at 149 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 4,321 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Simply confirms what I have posted several times here that the Govt. does not have a consensus plan on the way forward.

Not surprising since the various Leaver factions also did not have a consensus view before the referendum and now seem to have lost interest in campaigning on "next steps",.
I think it's going really well. We're going to get a cracking deal next year. I think that's the mindset to have. Go in strong, you'll be fine, go in weak and mr junckner will have us for petit dejuner.
Reply With Quote
  #5386  
Old 23.09.2016, 18:50
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 17,930
Groaned at 1,115 Times in 867 Posts
Thanked 48,373 Times in 14,910 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think it's going really well. We're going to get a cracking deal next year. I think that's the mindset to have. Go in strong, you'll be fine, go in weak and mr junckner will have us for petit dejuner.
I'd never thought of the United Kingdom as half a bottle of brandy before...
Reply With Quote
  #5387  
Old 23.09.2016, 19:05
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,487
Groaned at 149 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 4,321 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I'd never thought of the United Kingdom as half a bottle of brandy before...
Ive always had it down as a couple of Stella myself, but I think I lack the refinement you have Breakfast.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #5388  
Old 23.09.2016, 19:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,030
Groaned at 85 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 8,063 Times in 3,751 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I wonder if Theresa May is less pro-Remain than Remainers would like to believe. Has she appointed Brexiteers to Brexit positions because she's planning a hard Brexit...
I imagine she assembled the Leavers and said...

"You wanted. You've got it. Now crack on with it and I'll get on with running the country, but...we're having one last Christmas together so not a word to the children."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #5389  
Old 23.09.2016, 21:06
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I imagine she assembled the Leavers and said...

"You wanted. You've got it. Now crack on with it and I'll get on with running the country, but...we're having one last Christmas together so not a word to the children."
You broke it, you fix it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #5390  
Old 24.09.2016, 14:06
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,229
Groaned at 115 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,316 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Germany and France brushed aside suggestions by the UK foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, that there was no link between the EU’s principle of free movement and access to its single market, saying they could send Johnson a copy of the Lisbon treaty and even travel to London to explain it to him in English.
Source

The Boris negotiation strategy - live in a parallel universe perhaps......
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #5391  
Old 27.09.2016, 10:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Going to be interesting watching the Brexit negotiations take place as the EU stumbles from one crisis to the next over the 18 months.

The Deutsche Bank crisis could take Angela Merkel down – and the Euro
Reply With Quote
  #5392  
Old 27.09.2016, 11:32
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Going to be interesting watching the Brexit negotiations take place as the EU stumbles from one crisis to the next over the 18 months.

The Deutsche Bank crisis could take Angela Merkel down – and the Euro
With elections anyway next year I doubt Merkel has any risk of losing her Chancellorship due to Deutsche bank; by the time this mess unravels she will have been voted in or out. If in then she can claim the country is behind her, Corbyn like
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #5393  
Old 27.09.2016, 12:22
Rob's Avatar
Rob Rob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Baden AG
Posts: 480
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,299 Times in 508 Posts
Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I imagine she assembled the Leavers and said...

"You wanted. You've got it. Now crack on with it and I'll get on with running the country, but...we're having one last Christmas together so not a word to the children."
Or "if you give them enough rope they'll hang themselves"

Quite a good post here about the challenges that Brexit entails.

http://jackofkent.com/2016/09/the-ma...-summary-post/

Personally with the German and French elections coming up I wouldn't put money on the UK getting any sort of deal that does not require the application of copious amounts of lube.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Rob for this useful post:
  #5394  
Old 27.09.2016, 13:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
With elections anyway next year I doubt Merkel has any risk of losing her Chancellorship due to Deutsche bank; by the time this mess unravels she will have been voted in or out. If in then she can claim the country is behind her, Corbyn like
Quote:
View Post
Personally with the German and French elections coming up I wouldn't put money on the UK getting any sort of deal that does not require the application of copious amounts of lube.
In recent weeks I'm becoming more inclined to agree. For one reason or another, it's highly unlikely that Merkel will be around next year, and she is one of the only advocates for a soft Brexit. There's a good chance the zealous federalists within the EU will offer a joke package when it comes to negotiation which the UK will have to tear up before telling them to piss off.

I think there's a strong chance there will be no deal, which means the UK going it alone. It'll be hard in the short term, but still preferable to the stormy waters that lie ahead for the EU.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #5395  
Old 27.09.2016, 14:24
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,812
Groaned at 213 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 20,760 Times in 8,843 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
In recent weeks I'm becoming more inclined to agree. For one reason or another, it's highly unlikely that Merkel will be around next year, and she is one of the only advocates for a soft Brexit. There's a good chance the zealous federalists within the EU will offer a joke package when it comes to negotiation which the UK will have to tear up before telling them to piss off.
I'm not so sure.

Without Merkel's backing, I doubt there would be a Juncker or a Schultz.

Also, Merkel is not going to vanish into a vacuum. There will be a struggle over who will succeed her and in this respect the lines are already being drawn. The Bavarian faction is going to seek to take control and is trying to present itself as a AfD light. They may have a lot of sympathy among rank and file CDU membership, but among the non-Bavarian voting population as a whole the CSU has never been and is not presently seen as being very viable.

Another contender is Schäuble. He lacks in charisma, but he sticks to his guns and is a firm defender of fiscal responsibility. He has a tendency to talk down at people and is not very diplomatic, but I think a lot of people like him all the same. He is already taking pot shots at people like Maas indicating there will be a shift to the right, but less extreme than what the CSU is proposing. But how will the SPD react to that? Will it end the coalition, or can the CSU strong-arm the SPD into changing its course?

But more important than any of these questions is the realization that whatever or whoever replaces Merkel will be the CDU's last chance. Voters are ready to give a party a second chance, but not a third. If Merkel's successor messes up, and the probability of that is high, that is the end of the CDU as we know it. And this has consequences not just for Germany but for Europe.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #5396  
Old 27.09.2016, 14:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,030
Groaned at 85 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 8,063 Times in 3,751 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Source

The Boris negotiation strategy - live in a parallel universe perhaps......
Apparently, BoJo does live in a parallel universe where he still meddles in who joins the EU in the same breath as bragging how good his Beko is at removing his skid marks!

Quote:
Boris Johnson: UK will help Turkey join the EU Foreign secretary also boasted of his ‘beautiful,’ ‘well-functioning Turkish washing machine.’
http://www.politico.eu/article/boris...y-join-the-eu/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #5397  
Old 27.09.2016, 14:41
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Apparently, BoJo does live in a parallel universe where he still meddles in who joins the EU in the same breath as bragging how good his Beko is at removing his skid marks!


http://www.politico.eu/article/boris...y-join-the-eu/
Boris meets Erdogan in Ankara today; wonder if Erdogan will serve stuffed goat for lunch
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #5398  
Old 27.09.2016, 14:54
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I'm not so sure.

Without Merkel's backing, I doubt there would be a Juncker or a Schultz.

Also, Merkel is not going to vanish into a vacuum. There will be a struggle over who will succeed her and in this respect the lines are already being drawn. The Bavarian faction is going to seek to take control and is trying to present itself as a AfD light. They may have a lot of sympathy among rank and file CDU membership, but among the non-Bavarian voting population as a whole the CSU has never been and is not presently seen as being very viable.

Another contender is Schäuble. He lacks in charisma, but he sticks to his guns and is a firm defender of fiscal responsibility. He has a tendency to talk down at people and is not very diplomatic, but I think a lot of people like him all the same. He is already taking pot shots at people like Maas indicating there will be a shift to the right, but less extreme than what the CSU is proposing. But how will the SPD react to that? Will it end the coalition, or can the CSU strong-arm the SPD into changing its course?

But more important than any of these questions is the realization that whatever or whoever replaces Merkel will be the CDU's last chance. Voters are ready to give a party a second chance, but not a third. If Merkel's successor messes up, and the probability of that is high, that is the end of the CDU as we know it. And this has consequences not just for Germany but for Europe.
"Without Merkel's backing, I doubt there would be a Juncker or a Schultz." Schultz's term of office runs until January 2017, then there will be another election.
Schultz was the first president to be re-elected for a second term.
The CDU (Merkel's party) have already asked him not to stand for a third term

Juncker's term of office runs until October 2019 and I do not assume it will be possible to remove him before then

Barroso was elected for a second term so that is also a possibility for Juncker
Reply With Quote
  #5399  
Old 27.09.2016, 18:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,282
Groaned at 59 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 3,265 Times in 1,793 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
"Without Merkel's backing, I doubt there would be a Juncker or a Schultz." Schultz's term of office runs until January 2017, then there will be another election.
Schultz was the first president to be re-elected for a second term.
The CDU (Merkel's party) have already asked him not to stand for a third term

Juncker's term of office runs until October 2019 and I do not assume it will be possible to remove him before then

Barroso was elected for a second term so that is also a possibility for Juncker
I'm surprised how a functioning alcoholic can manage the stress of that office. But for two terms?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
  #5400  
Old 27.09.2016, 22:37
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I did not realise our PM was pro-Brexit before the referendum; might cast some light into the darkness.

Source
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 10 (5 members and 5 guests)
amogles, reids, fatmanfilms, Gordon Comstock
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 07:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 14:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 19:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 21:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 11:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0