Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6501  
Old 08.11.2016, 23:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,031
Groaned at 85 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 8,073 Times in 3,756 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

BNP and EDL are despicable human beings. They're scum. They're Jeremy Kyle candidates. Do I need to go on?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #6502  
Old 08.11.2016, 23:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 22,869
Groaned at 544 Times in 416 Posts
Thanked 25,381 Times in 11,638 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

... and they just can't wait for a 'good' riot
Reply With Quote
  #6503  
Old 08.11.2016, 23:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,031
Groaned at 85 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 8,073 Times in 3,756 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
... and they just can't wait for a 'good' riot
They're just rebranded NF, BM and Column 88, and all part of a Worldwide organisation that includes groups throughout Europe and America. I'd send them in first to fight for the liberation of Mosul. They wouldn't last 5 minutes.
Reply With Quote
  #6504  
Old 09.11.2016, 08:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

GBP up against the USD. And a trade deal with the US just got a whole lot easier.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #6505  
Old 09.11.2016, 08:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,170
Groaned at 243 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 15,150 Times in 5,256 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

the good thing for the UK is that nobody cares about Brexit when Trump becomes president...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #6506  
Old 09.11.2016, 08:26
FrankZappa's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France, near Geneva
Posts: 843
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,617 Times in 671 Posts
FrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

EU MEP proposes amendment so that individual British citizens be allowed free movement within the EU after a hard Brexit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7405196.html

Seems like a good move towards a less violent resolution, but no -

Jayne Adye, director of the Get Britain Out campaign described the proposal as divisive and said it was “totally unacceptable” for British people to retain the advantages of EU membership.

“This is an outrage. The EU is now attempting to divide the great British public at the exact moment we need unity. 17.4 million people voted to Leave the EU on 23 June and as a result the UK as a whole will get Brexit,” she said.

Sigh...
__________________
Whatever works

Last edited by FrankZappa; 09.11.2016 at 08:28. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank FrankZappa for this useful post:
  #6507  
Old 09.11.2016, 08:46
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,841
Groaned at 125 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 5,155 Times in 2,501 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
GBP up against the USD. And a trade deal with the US just got a whole lot easier.
I take it you've not bothered to see what Trump thinks about trade deals then.


A trade deal for anyone with the US is now off the cards for the next 4 years. At least that means TTIP is dead.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #6508  
Old 09.11.2016, 09:20
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
GBP up against the USD. And a trade deal with the US just got a whole lot easier.
You are talking about the Trump who is against trade deals

Oh its you Loz

The GBP now down again against the USD

Asian stock markets are crashing down.
Reply With Quote
  #6509  
Old 09.11.2016, 09:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You are talking about the Trump who is against trade deals
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-br...-idUSKCN0Y60AY
Reply With Quote
  #6510  
Old 09.11.2016, 09:36
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,841
Groaned at 125 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 5,155 Times in 2,501 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

True, the UK won't be at the back of the queue - cos there will be no queue. Trump won't be doing any trade deals. Quite the reverse.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #6511  
Old 09.11.2016, 10:00
JoeUK's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Au
Posts: 690
Groaned at 30 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 817 Times in 441 Posts
JoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputation
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You are talking about the Trump who is against trade deals

Oh its you Loz

The GBP now down again against the USD

Asian stock markets are crashing down.
Safe haven BTC +5%.
Reply With Quote
  #6512  
Old 09.11.2016, 12:31
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,233
Groaned at 115 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 4,915 Times in 2,318 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
GBP up against the USD. And a trade deal with the US just got a whole lot easier.
True if you agree to give him everything he needs to 'Make America Great Again' and expect SFA in return!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #6513  
Old 09.11.2016, 20:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I wonder if this will happen:

https://www.google.ch/search?q=nigel...ean+ambassador

it would make the negotiations very interesting
Reply With Quote
  #6514  
Old 09.11.2016, 23:11
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I wonder if this will happen:

https://www.google.ch/search?q=nigel...ean+ambassador

it would make the negotiations very interesting
The whole selection of Trump's Cabinet is kept very quiet; will be interesting to see who is selected and if any are from the swamp!

Just days before British Theresa May lands in India for her three-day visit to discuss trade the UK government has announced changes to its visa policy for non-EU nationals, which will negatively affect a large number of Indians especially IT professionals; diplomatic not!

Under the new visa rules announced by the UK Home Office, anyone applying after November 24 under the Tier 2 intra-company transfer (ICT) category would be required to meet a higher salary threshold requirement of 30,000 pounds from the earlier 20,800 pounds.

May's approach to the Indians of "we are open for more trade but cracking down on immigration" has not exactly proven to be a winner
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #6515  
Old 10.11.2016, 11:29
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,814
Groaned at 213 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 20,767 Times in 8,847 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The whole selection of Trump's Cabinet is kept very quiet; will be interesting to see who is selected and if any are from the swamp!

Just days before British Theresa May lands in India for her three-day visit to discuss trade the UK government has announced changes to its visa policy for non-EU nationals, which will negatively affect a large number of Indians especially IT professionals; diplomatic not!

Under the new visa rules announced by the UK Home Office, anyone applying after November 24 under the Tier 2 intra-company transfer (ICT) category would be required to meet a higher salary threshold requirement of 30,000 pounds from the earlier 20,800 pounds.

May's approach to the Indians of "we are open for more trade but cracking down on immigration" has not exactly proven to be a winner
Maybe she's trying to pull a Trump here. Open the negotiation with preposterous demands and then act magnanimous by meeting the other side mid way?

The risk of that strategy is, of course, that if the other side is not deseprate for a deal they can and probably will walk away.
Reply With Quote
  #6516  
Old 10.11.2016, 11:32
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,488
Groaned at 149 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 4,321 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The whole selection of Trump's Cabinet is kept very quiet; will be interesting to see who is selected and if any are from the swamp!

Just days before British Theresa May lands in India for her three-day visit to discuss trade the UK government has announced changes to its visa policy for non-EU nationals, which will negatively affect a large number of Indians especially IT professionals; diplomatic not!

Under the new visa rules announced by the UK Home Office, anyone applying after November 24 under the Tier 2 intra-company transfer (ICT) category would be required to meet a higher salary threshold requirement of 30,000 pounds from the earlier 20,800 pounds.

May's approach to the Indians of "we are open for more trade but cracking down on immigration" has not exactly proven to be a winner
This is a simplification of the real topic. Intra-Company transfers within IT are known to be used to lower wages in the UK by bringing across engineers on a lower salary than would be normally paid if the piece of work were sourced locally. On one hand this is good Business practice and as it is a global workforce there shouldnt be a reason to complain. On the other side there is the consideration that by bringing across the labour at a rate the local resource cannot compete with due to their costs of living being dramatically different (a tempoary placement vs a family life with associated costs) it gives an unfair advantage to the transferee.

By raising this to 30k they are trying to ensure that the people brought across on the intra-company transfer are genuine skilled professionals and not people being hawked in on the cheap at the detrement of the local workforce.

THis is also widespread in switzerland and most European Countries that are expensive.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #6517  
Old 10.11.2016, 11:34
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,841
Groaned at 125 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 5,155 Times in 2,501 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
This is a simplification of the real topic. Intra-Company transfers within IT are known to be used to lower wages in the UK by bringing across engineers on a lower salary than would be normally paid if the piece of work were sourced locally. On one hand this is good Business practice and as it is a global workforce there shouldnt be a reason to complain. On the other side there is the consideration that by bringing across the labour at a rate the local resource cannot compete with due to their costs of living being dramatically different (a tempoary placement vs a family life with associated costs) it gives an unfair advantage to the transferee.

By raising this to 30k they are trying to ensure that the people brought across on the intra-company transfer are genuine skilled professionals and not people being hawked in on the cheap at the detrement of the local workforce.

THis is also widespread in switzerland and most European Countries that are expensive.
I think the point is the timing, not the idea....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #6518  
Old 10.11.2016, 15:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 690
Groaned at 49 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,081 Times in 622 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Theresa May seems strange here. A grimacing automaton.

Theresa May 'looks forward to working with Trump'

She apparently hasn't heard from Trump yet.

Theresa May still awaiting call from Donald Trump
"Trump has thus far talked to the leaders of Ireland, Mexico, Israel, Egypt, Turkey, India, Japan, Australia and South Korea, according to various reports."
Reply With Quote
  #6519  
Old 10.11.2016, 15:49
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Theresa May seems strange here. A grimacing automaton.

Theresa May 'looks forward to working with Trump'

She apparently hasn't heard from Trump yet.

Theresa May still awaiting call from Donald Trump
"Trump has thus far talked to the leaders of Ireland, Mexico, Israel, Egypt, Turkey, India, Japan, Australia and South Korea, according to various reports."
Trump has his own agenda and approach. He will talk to people that he considers important for him and in his own time. He will care less if this is perceived to damage the "special relationship" with the UK.

Having said that I hope May will be able to strike up a constructive relationship with him.

Edit. She seems to make statements defining UK policies that involve other countries without really knowing if those other countries subscribe to her approach?
Reply With Quote
  #6520  
Old 10.11.2016, 16:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,285
Groaned at 59 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 3,267 Times in 1,795 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Trump has his own agenda and approach. He will talk to people that he considers important for him and in his own time. He will care less if this is perceived to damage the "special relationship" with the UK.

Having said that I hope May will be able to strike up a constructive relationship with him.

Edit. She seems to make statements defining UK policies that involve other countries without really knowing if those other countries subscribe to her approach?

Trump is all about the deal.
But in Trumps world, sometimes, to get a good deal for both sides, you've got to screw a 3rd-party in exchange...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 07:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 14:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 19:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 21:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 11:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0