Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #12801  
Old 30.07.2018, 16:28
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,352
Groaned at 117 Times in 100 Posts
Thanked 5,145 Times in 2,434 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
This is getting feckin ridiculous now. Qatar had an actual blockade imposed on it by its neighbours and there were no riots due to food shortages.
It is not ridiculous is just the reality of JIT, company do not have vast stocks of products nor do they have the capacity to do so. It is the same through out the Western World.
Reply With Quote
  #12802  
Old 30.07.2018, 16:36
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,692
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,164 Times in 7,780 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
This is getting feckin ridiculous now. Qatar had an actual blockade imposed on it by its neighbours and there were no riots due to food shortages.
You need to get out more

Qatar food shortages stirring social unrest
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #12803  
Old 30.07.2018, 16:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,148
Groaned at 88 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 8,628 Times in 3,966 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

It's gone from 'respecting the voice of the people' to 'put up and shut up'. Funny how they only listen to the people when it suits them.

Quote:
Theresa May dismisses calls for second Brexit referendum in wake of Sky Data poll
https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-m...-poll-11454299

The look on her poor husband's face. She said they were going on holiday, and he was hoping it would be to Mallorca for the Love Island final. Poor sod! We know how you feel Phil.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #12804  
Old 30.07.2018, 16:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Or I could just be a pedant like you and spend a couple of hours searching for an article just for the sake of contention and then come up with one from a UAE paper, a country who themselves are part of the blockade.
Reply With Quote
  #12805  
Old 30.07.2018, 17:00
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,352
Groaned at 117 Times in 100 Posts
Thanked 5,145 Times in 2,434 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Or I could just be a pedant like you and spend a couple of hours searching for an article just for the sake of contention and then come up with one from a UAE paper, a country who themselves are part of the blockade.
Or you could check the facts before making false statements.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #12806  
Old 30.07.2018, 17:04
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Or you could check the facts before making false statements.
I assume that was aimed at marton? Or are you going to show me a "fact" that proves there's been riots in Qatar due to food shortages?
Reply With Quote
  #12807  
Old 30.07.2018, 17:15
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,692
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,164 Times in 7,780 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

More financial service losses for London

Quote:
Deutsche Bank has moved a “large part” of its euro clearing activity to Frankfurt from London in a boost to the efforts of the eurozone’s top financial centre to lure business away from the City before Brexit.

The former Bank of England deputy governor Charlie Bean told a House of Lords committee in 2016 he had “absolutely no doubt at all” that London would lose euro clearing after Brexit.
Source

Big things have small beginnings - Prometheus
Reply With Quote
  #12808  
Old 30.07.2018, 18:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,859
Groaned at 67 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,849 Times in 947 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Deutsche Bank has moved a “large part” of its euro clearing activity to Frankfurt from London in a boost to the efforts of the eurozone’s top financial centre to lure business away from the City before Brexit.
I don’t think there are ‘efforts’ to lure businesses away from London. More like businesses in London trying to preserve their profits and executive bonuses.

And is it that unusual for Deutsche Bank to be consolidating in Germany? Somewhat like British Airways moving their HQ from Madrid to London.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #12809  
Old 30.07.2018, 18:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,383
Groaned at 58 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,600 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I don’t think there are ‘efforts’ to lure businesses away from London. More like businesses in London trying to preserve their profits and executive bonuses.
Hell yeah - and star players.
Reply With Quote
  #12810  
Old 30.07.2018, 18:39
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,692
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,164 Times in 7,780 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I don’t think there are ‘efforts’ to lure businesses away from London. More like businesses in London trying to preserve their profits and executive bonuses.
From the link
Quote:
Hubertus Väth, the chief executive of the marketing group Frankfurt Main Finance, told the FT that moving euro clearing from London to Frankfurt was “on top of our priority list from the very first day after the Brexit referendum”.
Frankfurt Main Finance, the association to promote the Frankfurt Main region as a global financial centre

Source
Reply With Quote
  #12811  
Old 30.07.2018, 19:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,859
Groaned at 67 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,849 Times in 947 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

OK, I stand corrected. But it does make sense. Come Brexit the U.K. will no longer be in the EU or Euroland.

So why would euro trading be there?
Reply With Quote
  #12812  
Old 30.07.2018, 19:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,383
Groaned at 58 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,600 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

CW will continue to hold its presence on the world stage. A magnet for capitalism.
Reply With Quote
  #12813  
Old 31.07.2018, 01:14
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,467
Groaned at 146 Times in 128 Posts
Thanked 6,155 Times in 2,647 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
OK, I stand corrected. But it does make sense. Come Brexit the U.K. will no longer be in the EU or Euroland.

So why would euro trading be there?
There will still be Euro trading there, just no clearing.
Reply With Quote
  #12814  
Old 31.07.2018, 11:32
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,692
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,164 Times in 7,780 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

“Three years ago we filled nearly 5,000 jobs [with Romanians]. This year we’ll probably fill 3,000, 3,500,” he says. “In June I spent about $2,000 on Facebook ads [for recruits]. Last year we didn’t have to spend any.”

British farms have long relied on eastern Europe for seasonal labour, and in recent years the workers have overwhelmingly come from newer EU member states such as Romania and Bulgaria.
However, owing to Brexit, the weakened pound and strong economies elsewhere on the continent, farms in the UK are less enticing prospects, and recruiters are struggling to fill their order books while also needing to raise their fees.

Source

Similar situation to the US, where there is also a strong need for unskilled manual workers who are easily discouraged by negative conditions.
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
  #12815  
Old 31.07.2018, 11:46
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 18,148
Groaned at 1,120 Times in 872 Posts
Thanked 49,279 Times in 15,176 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
“Three years ago we filled nearly 5,000 jobs [with Romanians]. This year we’ll probably fill 3,000, 3,500,” he says. “In June I spent about $2,000 on Facebook ads [for recruits]. Last year we didn’t have to spend any.”

British farms have long relied on eastern Europe for seasonal labour, and in recent years the workers have overwhelmingly come from newer EU member states such as Romania and Bulgaria.
However, owing to Brexit, the weakened pound and strong economies elsewhere on the continent, farms in the UK are less enticing prospects, and recruiters are struggling to fill their order books while also needing to raise their fees.

Source

Similar situation to the US, where there is also a strong need for unskilled manual workers who are easily discouraged by negative conditions.
Perhaps if farmers offered decent pay and conditions they might find more people willing to work for them?

I can't imagine unionised workers being happy to squat in a filthy caravan for weeks at a time.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #12816  
Old 31.07.2018, 11:49
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,467
Groaned at 146 Times in 128 Posts
Thanked 6,155 Times in 2,647 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps if farmers offered decent pay and conditions they might find more people willing to work for them?

I can't imagine unionised workers being happy to squat in a filthy caravan for weeks at a time.
They'll finally be able to put those EU subsidies to good use. Oh...
Reply With Quote
  #12817  
Old 31.07.2018, 13:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,859
Groaned at 67 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,849 Times in 947 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps if farmers offered decent pay and conditions they might find more people willing to work for them?

I can't imagine unionised workers being happy to squat in a filthy caravan for weeks at a time.
OK they put up their pay. They need then to put up their prices to Tescos et. al. Tesco then says our customers won’t pay any more, ‘screw you’ we can get it cheaper from ...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
This user groans at bowlie for this post:
  #12818  
Old 31.07.2018, 14:33
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 27,334
Groaned at 1,713 Times in 1,307 Posts
Thanked 31,726 Times in 15,174 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
“Three years ago we filled nearly 5,000 jobs [with Romanians]. This year we’ll probably fill 3,000, 3,500,” he says. “In June I spent about $2,000 on Facebook ads [for recruits]. Last year we didn’t have to spend any.”

British farms have long relied on eastern Europe for seasonal labour, and in recent years the workers have overwhelmingly come from newer EU member states such as Romania and Bulgaria.
However, owing to Brexit, the weakened pound and strong economies elsewhere on the continent, farms in the UK are less enticing prospects, and recruiters are struggling to fill their order books while also needing to raise their fees.

Source

Similar situation to the US, where there is also a strong need for unskilled manual workers who are easily discouraged by negative conditions.
Good, so perhaps they'll start paying people living wages.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #12819  
Old 31.07.2018, 14:39
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,467
Groaned at 146 Times in 128 Posts
Thanked 6,155 Times in 2,647 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Good, so perhaps they'll start paying people living wages.

Tom
Or perhaps they'll go bust leaving the UK with no way to feed itself. Exciting times!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #12820  
Old 31.07.2018, 14:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,316
Groaned at 59 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,811 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I guess this would be possible, if people were willing to spend more on their food and spend less on cars, mobile phones, cable-tv, clothes, holidays, rent and general stuff ordered from amazon.

If that happens, the world economy will basically be f'ed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
VenusC
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0