Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #13061  
Old 24.08.2018, 22:54
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Selling your assets is an unusual way of investing. I am sure they invested the sale proceeds in UK
Reply With Quote
  #13062  
Old 24.08.2018, 22:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Well we can either use our brains or unconditionally believe their press releases
Must be blanket fake news coverage in this story
Reply With Quote
  #13063  
Old 25.08.2018, 01:09
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,229
Groaned at 113 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 4,904 Times in 2,314 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You know Goldman Sachs did the same thing with their current London HQ 10 odd years ago, right? This isn’t something out of the ordinary.

The comments on here are just further evidence of the post truth age we live in. A company is widely reported as investing in London post Brexit and even states so themselves is not in fact doing so because people refuse to believe the facts presented to them as it doesn’t fit with their own narrative.
So first it was an investment in post BREXIT Britain, then it was just a common business transition and when the mechanics of it are pointed out to you, which by the way you can fact check in their next annual report, you choose to believe the press release... the accounts are a certified fact, the press release is propaganda. Know the difference....
Reply With Quote
  #13064  
Old 25.08.2018, 09:59
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,984
Groaned at 286 Times in 235 Posts
Thanked 15,520 Times in 8,617 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So first it was an investment in post BREXIT Britain, then it was just a common business transition and when the mechanics of it are pointed out to you, which by the way you can fact check in their next annual report, you choose to believe the press release... the accounts are a certified fact, the press release is propaganda. Know the difference....
As an accountant you know that accounts are not a 'certified fact', merely an opinion. 'Know the difference' LOL
Reply With Quote
  #13065  
Old 26.08.2018, 00:40
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Theresa May has ordered officials to start work on a British satellite-navigation system to rival the EU’s Galileo, in a show of strength as Brussels threatens to block the UK from its project.
Source

Dumb idea, I always thought Galileo is a huge waste of money; UK version even greater waste.
The US satellite-navigation system works perfectly well.

What is the idea? We throw away all our smart phones and navigation devices to get new ones compatible with these new satellite-navigation systems? Nuts!

Edit; UK has no systems capable of launching satellites so will we be going cap in hand to Russia?
Reply With Quote
  #13066  
Old 26.08.2018, 01:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,282
Groaned at 59 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 3,265 Times in 1,793 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Source

Dumb idea, I always thought Galileo is a huge waste of money; UK version even greater waste.
The US satellite-navigation system works perfectly well.

What is the idea? We throw away all our smart phones and navigation devices to get new ones compatible with these new satellite-navigation systems? Nuts!

Edit; UK has no systems capable of launching satellites so will we be going cap in hand to Russia?
While you're at it, start driving on the other side of the road and have the steering wheels also switched.

Oh wait...Nevermind.
Reply With Quote
  #13067  
Old 26.08.2018, 08:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,717
Groaned at 66 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 1,684 Times in 863 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Recent devices (ie iPhone 6s and more recent) use all three GPS systems. When would anyone need two or more? Well most often in an urban environment where much of the sky is obscured by tall buildings.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #13068  
Old 26.08.2018, 14:49
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

For all those people who told us if a EU deal failed then UK would trade under WTO rules

Quote:
No-deal Brexit: 'Not realistic' for UK to start trading under WTO rules in March, says WTO boss
'The moment that other countries begin to sense an opportunity to increase their market share or increase a quota here or there, they are going to go for that', says Roberto Azevêdo

If the UK does shift to WTO rules, Mr Azevêdo said some sectors will face significantly higher tariffs.

“It’s not going to be the end of the world, in the sense that trade is going to stop and that everything is going to fall down, no. But it’s not going to be a walk in the park either,” he added.
Source

The UK official technical notice about trading with the EU here paints a rosier picture which may not be true

Actually I found the wording confusing maybe I am having old timer day!

Quote:
In the event that the UK and the EU does not have a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) in place in a ‘no deal’ scenario, trade with the EU will be on non-preferential, World Trade Organisation terms.
This means that Most Favoured Nation (MFN) tariffs and non-preferential rules of origin would apply to consignments between the UK and EU.
I assume EU application of "Most Favoured Nation (MFN) tariffs" will require an agreement with the EU that is not yet in place?
Reply With Quote
  #13069  
Old 26.08.2018, 14:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 22,869
Groaned at 544 Times in 416 Posts
Thanked 25,381 Times in 11,638 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Do miss a good chinwag in a pub:

https://youtu.be/LH6O32Dqix0
Reply With Quote
  #13070  
Old 26.08.2018, 14:52
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Recent devices (ie iPhone 6s and more recent) use all three GPS systems. When would anyone need two or more? Well most often in an urban environment where much of the sky is obscured by tall buildings.
Are the technical standards published for the planned UK GPS system?
Reply With Quote
  #13071  
Old 26.08.2018, 20:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,502
Groaned at 248 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 9,028 Times in 4,726 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Edit; UK has no systems capable of launching satellites so will we be going cap in hand to Russia?
I bet India can't wait to be of service!
Reply With Quote
  #13072  
Old 26.08.2018, 20:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Source

Dumb idea, I always thought Galileo is a huge waste of money; UK version even greater waste.
The US satellite-navigation system works perfectly well.

What is the idea? We throw away all our smart phones and navigation devices to get new ones compatible with these new satellite-navigation systems? Nuts!

Edit; UK has no systems capable of launching satellites so will we be going cap in hand to Russia?
The U.K. has already sunk £1.2 billion into the project, this just typifies how petty the EU is. Though in the end it’s no huge loss as it’ll probably end up being shite like many joint European military projects are. A la Eurofighter.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #13073  
Old 26.08.2018, 20:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,502
Groaned at 248 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 9,028 Times in 4,726 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
The U.K. has already sunk £1.2 billion into the project, this just typifies how petty the EU is.
It's the UK's decision to walk away, not the EU's.
Reply With Quote
  #13074  
Old 26.08.2018, 20:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It's the UK's decision to walk away, not the EU's.
Check out the non EU countries that are also signed up to the programme.
Reply With Quote
  #13075  
Old 26.08.2018, 21:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,717
Groaned at 66 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 1,684 Times in 863 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Are the technical standards published for the planned UK GPS system?
That would be the fourth GPS system. After the US, EU and Russia.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #13076  
Old 26.08.2018, 21:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,502
Groaned at 248 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 9,028 Times in 4,726 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Check out the non EU countries that are also signed up to the programme.
The UK is part of Galileo thanks to its EU membership. Like many other organisations, leaving the EU without follow-up agreement means leaving Galileo.

It's the UK's choice to have a hard Brexit. Actions have consequences and this is one of them.

You are of course free to keep blaming the EU, just know that repeating a nonsensical statement doesn't make any more true.
Reply With Quote
  #13077  
Old 26.08.2018, 22:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The UK is part of Galileo thanks to its EU membership. Like many other organisations, leaving the EU without follow-up agreement means leaving Galileo.

It's the UK's choice to have a hard Brexit. Actions have consequences and this is one of them.

You are of course free to keep blaming the EU, just know that repeating a nonsensical statement doesn't make any more true.
The U.K. government, which is negotiating Brexit, is currently looking for a soft departure. They’ve made clear from the outset that they wanted to remain a member of certain programmes and were willing to keep on paying their fair share to do so. This is sheer bloody mindedness from the EU, which is why the U.K. is demonstrating that it is willing to go it alone. They’ll just have their £1.4 billion back thank you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #13078  
Old 27.08.2018, 01:51
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,229
Groaned at 113 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 4,904 Times in 2,314 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The U.K. government, which is negotiating Brexit, is currently looking for a soft departure. They’ve made clear from the outset that they wanted to remain a member of certain programmes and were willing to keep on paying their fair share to do so. This is sheer bloody mindedness from the EU, which is why the U.K. is demonstrating that it is willing to go it alone. They’ll just have their £1.4 billion back thank you.
And right from the start they were told that this is not possible, if they are unable to read A50 that is their problem. Any change in that status would require a treaty change, meaning at the very least a referendum in Ireland and possibly France and Denmark. Not to mention changes to the role of the ECJ in supervising such agreements and so on. That is not going to happen for the sake of a third country no matter how many excuses you bring forward.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #13079  
Old 27.08.2018, 09:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
And right from the start they were told that this is not possible, if they are unable to read A50 that is their problem. Any change in that status would require a treaty change, meaning at the very least a referendum in Ireland and possibly France and Denmark. Not to mention changes to the role of the ECJ in supervising such agreements and so on. That is not going to happen for the sake of a third country no matter how many excuses you bring forward.
Have you even read A50? There would be no treaty change in order for the UK to remain part of the programme. This just typifies the sheer inflexibility and dogmatic approach of the EU. If they don't want the UK to remain a member of the programme then they should repay the UK's investment into it. Let the treaties plug that 15% hole.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #13080  
Old 27.08.2018, 11:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I've always found it at curious term this "People's Vote" that Remainers are campaigning for. As if the first vote wasn't voted for by the people

People's Vote campaign puts pressure on Labour leadership
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 13 (3 members and 10 guests)
dandi
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 07:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 14:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 19:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 21:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 11:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0