Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #13301  
Old 12.09.2018, 11:33
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,577
Groaned at 151 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,449 Times in 2,764 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So by this logic... this would rule out those made redundant or those on long term disability benefits or potentially even those on maternity leave at the time of a GE, particularly if it fell in the gap between 39 weeks and going back to work. Getting dangerously close to voting eligibility going back to males over 21 and women over 35 who own property!

Should those tax payers whose incomes put them in a higher tax bracket have a "weightier" vote than the part-time workers and/or those scraping by on 16k who therefore pay less tax?
Don't worry, when Mogg's in charge and we've gone back to a feudal system, only the Barons will be able to vote. Much simpler.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #13302  
Old 12.09.2018, 11:44
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,211
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,913 Times in 8,851 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So by this logic... this would rule out those made redundant or those on long term disability benefits or potentially even those on maternity leave at the time of a GE, particularly if it fell in the gap between 39 weeks and going back to work. Getting dangerously close to voting eligibility going back to males over 21 and women over 35 who own property!

Should those tax payers whose incomes put them in a higher tax bracket have a "weightier" vote than the part-time workers and/or those scraping by on 16k who therefore pay less tax?
Yes you have got the idea. If those people were net tax payers, being made redundant or on maternity probably won't get them off the hook to the Inland Revenue.

You make a good point on property as only taxing property & not incomes would solve the issues of tax evasion.
Reply With Quote
  #13303  
Old 12.09.2018, 12:14
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 3,897
Groaned at 65 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 6,755 Times in 2,685 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Yes you have got the idea. If those people were net tax payers, being made redundant or on maternity probably won't get them off the hook to the Inland Revenue.

You make a good point on property as only taxing property & not incomes would solve the issues of tax evasion.
It would if maternity period straddled two tax years and majority was in one of them. Voting rights would be suspended for a whack of time.

I think we are at cross-purposes: I meant wouldn't this make those groups ineligible to vote? My property point was a smidge sarcastic ... but I reckon you know that. Not trying to start an argument, trying to understand.

Most folk pay gross tax, yes? Net presupposes quite a lot of income plus alternative revenue streams, doesn't it? Or has my brain finally fried? We're getting worryingly close to StirB's baronial joke if that's the case. Only allowing net tax payers the vote would rule out millions. Why shouldn't those on low incomes get a vote? Hell, I've been paying a good whack of tax for a long time but for the next year, not so much. My net tax would be virtually nil. I always vote. What would be the justification to stop me if a referendum or GE called in 2019?
Reply With Quote
  #13304  
Old 12.09.2018, 14:13
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,577
Groaned at 151 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,449 Times in 2,764 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It would if maternity period straddled two tax years and majority was in one of them. Voting rights would be suspended for a whack of time.

I think we are at cross-purposes: I meant wouldn't this make those groups ineligible to vote? My property point was a smidge sarcastic ... but I reckon you know that. Not trying to start an argument, trying to understand.

Most folk pay gross tax, yes? Net presupposes quite a lot of income plus alternative revenue streams, doesn't it? Or has my brain finally fried? We're getting worryingly close to StirB's baronial joke if that's the case. Only allowing net tax payers the vote would rule out millions. Why shouldn't those on low incomes get a vote? Hell, I've been paying a good whack of tax for a long time but for the next year, not so much. My net tax would be virtually nil. I always vote. What would be the justification to stop me if a referendum or GE called in 2019?
Or what if in my lifetime I've paid 10x more tax than Fatmanfilms, and I lose my job before the next tax year. Not really fair he gets to vote and I don't. How about people who are unable to work, perhaps disabled people or single parents - should they not get a say on disability or child policies? For many reasons, this suggestion is as outmoded as it is idiotic.
Reply With Quote
  #13305  
Old 12.09.2018, 14:15
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,577
Groaned at 151 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,449 Times in 2,764 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

More great Brexit dividends though...

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8065161.html

The good news is, we'll all be worse off, but we can kick a badger's face off consequence-free after we leave.
Reply With Quote
  #13306  
Old 12.09.2018, 14:25
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,211
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,913 Times in 8,851 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It would if maternity period straddled two tax years and majority was in one of them. Voting rights would be suspended for a whack of time.

I think we are at cross-purposes: I meant wouldn't this make those groups ineligible to vote? My property point was a smidge sarcastic ... but I reckon you know that. Not trying to start an argument, trying to understand.

Most folk pay gross tax, yes? Net presupposes quite a lot of income plus alternative revenue streams, doesn't it? Or has my brain finally fried? We're getting worryingly close to StirB's baronial joke if that's the case. Only allowing net tax payers the vote would rule out millions. Why shouldn't those on low incomes get a vote? Hell, I've been paying a good whack of tax for a long time but for the next year, not so much. My net tax would be virtually nil. I always vote. What would be the justification to stop me if a referendum or GE called in 2019?
Evertbody in Zurich pays some tax, regardless of income the amount is 24 chf IIRC. I think it's a good idea like the poll tax in the UK that got scrapped.

Voting on spending other peoples' money, is something I find unacceptable, everybody should pay something if they want a say in how money is spent.

You will still be a net tax payer next year even if you pay zero, last years & the x years before are counted in 'net' taxpayer.
Quote:
View Post
Or what if in my lifetime I've paid 10x more tax than Fatmanfilms, and I lose my job before the next tax year. Not really fair he gets to vote and I don't. How about people who are unable to work, perhaps disabled people or single parents - should they not get a say on disability or child policies? For many reasons, this suggestion is as outmoded as it is idiotic.
Your still a net taxpayer, your the one that decided on this tax year which the result would not ne known until next year. Please be realistic when dissing my comments.
Reply With Quote
  #13307  
Old 12.09.2018, 14:29
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,577
Groaned at 151 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,449 Times in 2,764 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Evertbody in Zurich pays some tax, regardless of income the amount is 24 chf IIRC. I think it's a good idea like the poll tax in the UK that got scrapped.

Voting on spending other peoples' money, is something I find unacceptable, everybody should pay something if they want a say in how money is spent.

You will still be a net tax payer next year even if you pay zero, last years & the x years before are counted in 'net' taxpayer.


Your still a net taxpayer, your the one that decided on this tax year which the result would not ne known until next year. Please be realistic when dissing my comments.
So we should stop paying for education then, because those kids have contributed f all. Not sure how to explain this, but your tax money is not YOURS it is OURS. We as a nation, via the medium of government decide how to spend it, you as a contributor do not get to decide this.

Quote:
View Post
Your still a net taxpayer, your the one that decided on this tax year which the result would not ne known until next year. Please be realistic when dissing my comments.
I don't think timing was really the issue when dismissing your elitist nonsense.
Reply With Quote
  #13308  
Old 12.09.2018, 14:35
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,211
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,913 Times in 8,851 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So we should stop paying for education then, because those kids have contributed f all.





I don't think timing was really the issue when dismissing your elitist nonsense.
The parents can vote, kids don't vote.
No reason for higher education to be free, as the higher educated should earn more money, therefore should be happy to pay themselves.
I also believe that care in old age should be paid out of peoples own money first, with contributions form their children. The taxpayer should not ring-fence future inheritance against lifetime needs.
Reply With Quote
  #13309  
Old 12.09.2018, 14:38
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,577
Groaned at 151 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,449 Times in 2,764 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The parents can vote, kids don't vote.
No reason for higher education to be free, as the higher educated should earn more money, therefore should be happy to pay themselves.
Yet another beneficiary of fee free higher education trying to pull up the drawbridge? For shame.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #13310  
Old 12.09.2018, 14:41
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,211
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,913 Times in 8,851 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Yet another beneficiary of fee free higher education trying to pull up the drawbridge? For shame.
Not me comrade, I left school at 16 by choice.
Oh & I was a higher payer taxpayer by 19, paying for the further education of people my own age.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #13311  
Old 12.09.2018, 15:07
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 3,897
Groaned at 65 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 6,755 Times in 2,685 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Evertbody in Zurich pays some tax, regardless of income the amount is 24 chf IIRC. I think it's a good idea like the poll tax in the UK that got scrapped.

Voting on spending other peoples' money, is something I find unacceptable, everybody should pay something if they want a say in how money is spent.

You will still be a net tax payer next year even if you pay zero, last years & the x years before are counted in 'net' taxpayer.

.
But we're not talking about Zurich, rather a hypothetical UK situation. AFAIK, the lowest earners in UK pay no tax only NI. This is still a contribution to the state.

How can net taxation be a cumulative/ average thing when tax in the UK is sorted annually?

As for the university fee thing... hasn't been free for 20 years. I paid my own way. Thrice. Doesn't make it right.

I also , as a state teacher, have been subject to more "I pay your wages" comments than I care to remember. Often from folk whose tax contribution is likely less than mine. The amount of tax I pay, I reckon I'm almost paying my own wages.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #13312  
Old 12.09.2018, 15:15
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,577
Groaned at 151 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,449 Times in 2,764 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Not me comrade, I left school at 16 by choice.
Oh & I was a higher payer taxpayer by 19, paying for the further education of people my own age.
Perhaps we should go down the right wing route after all. I suggest only people with tertiary education should get a vote, the issues are too complicated for anyone else to comprehend.

That makes only slightly more sense than your suggestion FMF.
Reply With Quote
  #13313  
Old 12.09.2018, 15:15
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,925
Groaned at 67 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,916 Times in 985 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

But shouldn’t all consumers of U.K. goods and services have a vote? They contribute 22% of the purchase price to HMG.

In Switzerland it is only 7.7%,but still that is a lot of money.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #13314  
Old 12.09.2018, 15:17
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,577
Groaned at 151 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,449 Times in 2,764 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Obviously, everyone who buys almost anything is paying tax.
Reply With Quote
  #13315  
Old 12.09.2018, 15:20
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,211
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,913 Times in 8,851 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps we should go down the right wing route after all. I suggest only people with tertiary education should get a vote, the issues are too complicated for anyone else to comprehend.

That makes only slightly more sense than your suggestion FMF.
I would happily not vote if I did not need to pay tax for the privilege.

As it happens I can't vote in the UK but have an IHT liability at death even through I have not lived in the uk for over 25 years, will probably over 50 years at death. How can that be fair?
Reply With Quote
  #13316  
Old 12.09.2018, 15:22
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,577
Groaned at 151 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,449 Times in 2,764 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I would happily not vote if I did not need to pay tax for the privilege.

As it happens I can't vote in the UK but have an IHT liability at death even through I have not lived in the uk for over 25 years, will probably over 50 years at death. How can that be fair?
Can't change domicile?
Reply With Quote
  #13317  
Old 12.09.2018, 15:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,200
Groaned at 89 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 8,869 Times in 4,061 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Don't worry, when Mogg's in charge and we've gone back to a feudal system, only the Barons will be able to vote. Much simpler.
Yesterday, Rees-Mogg was on 'The Jeremy Vine Show' on Channel 5. Watching him for an extended period of time, and listening to his views on a number of matters, has only reinforced my opinion that he lives in a parallel universe and has zero integrity or consistency. This is just a taster...

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #13318  
Old 12.09.2018, 15:47
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,211
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,913 Times in 8,851 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Can't change domicile?
Almost impossible & if you ever move country it reverts to UK.
Reply With Quote
  #13319  
Old 12.09.2018, 16:04
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,577
Groaned at 151 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,449 Times in 2,764 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

HMRC doesn't seem to suggest so on their website...

https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/w...de-the-uk-dies


When you will not count as living abroad

HMRC will treat you as being domiciled in the UK if you either:
  • lived in the UK for 15 of the last 20 years
  • had your permanent home in the UK at any time in the last 3 years of your life
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #13320  
Old 12.09.2018, 16:37
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,211
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,913 Times in 8,851 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
HMRC doesn't seem to suggest so on their website...

https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/w...de-the-uk-dies


When you will not count as living abroad

HMRC will treat you as being domiciled in the UK if you either:
  • lived in the UK for 15 of the last 20 years
  • had your permanent home in the UK at any time in the last 3 years of your life
Thats interesting however I suspect it's incorrect, they seem to have taken that from the new deemed domicile rule changes from April 2017.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/deemed-d...rom-april-2017 which related to non dom taxation.
From 6 April 2017 new deemed domicile rules came into force.

If you aren’t domiciled in the UK under English common law you’re treated as domiciled in the UK for all tax purposes if either Condition A or Condition B is met.

If you meet the new deemed domicile rules you will no longer be able to claim the remittance basis of taxation and will be assessed on your worldwide income and gains on the arising basis.


The deemed domicile rules for Inheritance Tax are also changing.

Condition A
To meet this condition you must:

be born in the UK
have the UK as your domicile of origin
be resident in the UK for 2017 to 2018, or later years
Condition B
Condition B is met when you’ve been UK resident for at least 15 of the 20 tax years immediately before the relevant tax year.

This is contradictory as it starts off 'If you aren’t domiciled in the UK under English common law'. Most Brits would have never lost their domicile of origin in the first place.

https://www.blevinsfranks.com/news/b...l-UK-domiciled

Anyone who retained a UK property or wishes to dispose of their wealth under UK Law will have problems.

Hopefully I am wrong........
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0