Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #14241  
Old 23.10.2018, 17:34
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,714
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 25,214 Times in 9,709 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Norway keeps about 90% of the fish that comes out of its waters.
Doesn't it depend on the type of fish? Some fish species have much lower quotas.
Reply With Quote
  #14242  
Old 23.10.2018, 17:37
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,045
Groaned at 288 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 15,587 Times in 8,670 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You didn't seem to be shedding any tears over your property gaining in value, earlier in the thread.

Ironically I agree with you but it only adds weight to the fact that people thrive on mostly luck when it comes to wealth.

You can have all the knowledge of an area and its potential but if you aren't lucky enough to snap up a property it's worth exactly zero.
I sold it for £94,950, I only said what it's value was today according to mouseprice

Not snapping up UK property would be my tip, it should be 50% lower than it is today based on salaries, probably lower than that. Tax changes for BTL will fully bite in 2022 when many highly geared landlords will go bankrupt.

It's actually impossible to price out the next generation for any length of time, as at some point property will be sold at the price they can pay afford to pay.
Reply With Quote
  #14243  
Old 23.10.2018, 19:03
smackerjack's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: U.K/VAUD
Posts: 2,148
Groaned at 14 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,030 Posts
smackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I was watching a fascinating programme recently about a man from Jamaica who came over in the 1960s with his wife to London.
He took a job as a bus conductor with London Transport. He said that he saved for a shortish period and used the cash to put down as a deposit on a house in Clapham - but he had his own home and could just about pay the mortgage. the property now is worth around 1.25 million

The difference is now that a bus conductor would be lucky if they would be able to rent a flat share in that area - let alone be able to save a deposit and buy a place - FMF is certainly correct about the overpricing of property
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank smackerjack for this useful post:
  #14244  
Old 23.10.2018, 19:13
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,045
Groaned at 288 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 15,587 Times in 8,670 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I was watching a fascinating programme recently about a man from Jamaica who came over in the 1960s with his wife to London.
He took a job as a bus conductor with London Transport. He said that he saved for a shortish period and used the cash to put down as a deposit on a house in Clapham - but he had his own home and could just about pay the mortgage. the property now is worth around 1.25 million

The difference is now that a bus conductor would be lucky if they would be able to rent a flat share in that area - let alone be able to save a deposit and buy a place - FMF is certainly correct about the overpricing of property
In 1960 I suspect the house cost between £1000 - 2000 & needed some refurbishment. Affordable for the ordinary working man. How exactly have people lives improved in 58 years? Rather less than the younger people in this thread think.
Reply With Quote
  #14245  
Old 23.10.2018, 19:21
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,045
Groaned at 288 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 15,587 Times in 8,670 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Malta-UK agreements to remain in place after Brexit - Prime Minister
https://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/e...8#.W89X7aeQ1QK

Perhaps it won't be the end of the world after all.
Reply With Quote
  #14246  
Old 23.10.2018, 19:25
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,419
Groaned at 135 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 10,086 Times in 5,371 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I was watching a fascinating programme recently about a man from Jamaica who came over in the 1960s with his wife to London.
He took a job as a bus conductor with London Transport. He said that he saved for a shortish period and used the cash to put down as a deposit on a house in Clapham - but he had his own home and could just about pay the mortgage. the property now is worth around 1.25 million

The difference is now that a bus conductor would be lucky if they would be able to rent a flat share in that area - let alone be able to save a deposit and buy a place - FMF is certainly correct about the overpricing of property
Jein.

<<In the 1960s and 1970s, the population of London fell as people moved to the suburbs and beyond.>> source

I wouldn't know whether property generally is overpriced in London.
But it is extremly obvious that the supply and demand is different. And that is something that deeply influences the property market. And brings the speculators into the arena. So yes, the properties are overpriced but for other reasons than assumed here.
Reply With Quote
  #14247  
Old 23.10.2018, 19:32
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,045
Groaned at 288 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 15,587 Times in 8,670 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Jein.

<<In the 1960s and 1970s, the population of London fell as people moved to the suburbs and beyond.>> source

I wouldn't know whether property generally is overpriced in London.
But it is extremly obvious that the supply and demand is different. And that is something that deeply influences the property market. And brings the speculators into the arena. So yes, the properties are overpriced but for other reasons than assumed here.
The definition of London has changed. In 1960 Highgate Zone 3 underground was in Middlesex a suburb. London taxi drivers can refuse the fare as its more than 6 miles from Marble Arch. It's definitely considered London today.

Demand is the ability to pay, not desire or need.

Cheap money & ability to borrow without proof if income in the early 2000's hugely increased prices. Help to Buy free interest loans of £400,000 stoke the ability to pay, only problem is interest is payable after 5 years & it's only available for new builds.
Reply With Quote
  #14248  
Old 23.10.2018, 19:33
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 911
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 764 Times in 442 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So now you move your goal posts from 2010 - 2015 to 2012 - 2016

Anyway what is the relevance of the period 2012 - 2016 to your claim "the UK opening its doors to the new member states before the other senior EU countries did, which led to a disproportionately high inflow of expats from those countries to the UK" when the UK opened these doors in 2004?
If you are such a detailed-oriented person, then yes I moved the post. Sue me.

As far as I am concerned, I was referring to the years before the referendum.
I was writing from my phone in the U-Bahn on the way back to work, and I did not have the time to find the exact years.
Were the EU-citizens immigration numbers much higher in 2015 than in 2010? As per your graph, absolutely yes, from about 75 thousand to about 175 thousand.
Did the massive increase happen exactly between 2010 and 2015? No, it started in 2012 and lasted until 2016. I should burn in hell for this.

At the same time, you accused me of lying, or at best that I had believed lies and was spreading them in the forum, and your best attempt at validating your claim was the immigration numbers from 2018.
So I repeat, have you no shame?
__________________
Moving in and out of Switzerland (because it's fun).
Currently away. Miss the Alps.
Reply With Quote
  #14249  
Old 23.10.2018, 19:36
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,685
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,024 Times in 7,714 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Doesn't it depend on the type of fish? Some fish species have much lower quotas.
The people who bang on about UK exercising Sovereign rights over fishing in UK territorial waters usually fail to mention that will condemn everybody to a diet of mostly herring
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #14250  
Old 23.10.2018, 19:39
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,685
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,024 Times in 7,714 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
If you are such a detailed-oriented person, then yes I moved the post. Sue me.

As far as I am concerned, I was referring to the years before the referendum.
I was writing from my phone in the U-Bahn on the way back to work, and I did not have the time to find the exact years.
Were the EU-citizens immigration numbers much higher in 2015 than in 2010? As per your graph, absolutely yes, from about 75 thousand to about 175 thousand.
Did the massive increase happen exactly between 2010 and 2015? No, it started in 2012 and lasted until 2016. I should burn in hell for this.

At the same time, you accused me of lying, or at best that I had believed lies and was spreading them in the forum, and your best attempt at validating your claim was the immigration numbers from 2018.
So I repeat, have you no shame?
Ah, so you claim the immigration numbers for 2016 that were not published until 2017 had a big effect on the 2016 referendum vote

Maybe you should change your U-Bahn.
Reply With Quote
  #14251  
Old 23.10.2018, 19:44
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,685
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,024 Times in 7,714 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I was watching a fascinating programme recently about a man from Jamaica who came over in the 1960s with his wife to London.
He took a job as a bus conductor with London Transport. He said that he saved for a shortish period and used the cash to put down as a deposit on a house in Clapham - but he had his own home and could just about pay the mortgage. the property now is worth around 1.25 million

The difference is now that a bus conductor would be lucky if they would be able to rent a flat share in that area - let alone be able to save a deposit and buy a place - FMF is certainly correct about the overpricing of property
I know a number of people who bought London properties in the 60s and 70s but have been forced to move out because the increase in property values has driven up their property insurance to levels their pensions are inadequate to cover

Of course, they can now buy very nice properties outside London but far from their friends and usual haunts!
Reply With Quote
  #14252  
Old 23.10.2018, 19:51
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,045
Groaned at 288 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 15,587 Times in 8,670 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I know a number of people who bought London properties in the 60s and 70s but have been forced to move out because the increase in property values has driven up their property insurance to levels their pensions are inadequate to cover

Of course, they can now buy very nice properties outside London but far from their friends and usual haunts!
Property insurance should not be very high as you're insuring the rebuilding cost & not the land value. The land value is far more than 50% of market value. Buildings should be in the £250-£500 range, I know someone just quoted £175 for a flat they paid £725k for, I don't know the rebuilding figure but sub £200k
Reply With Quote
  #14253  
Old 23.10.2018, 23:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 22,886
Groaned at 544 Times in 416 Posts
Thanked 25,412 Times in 11,655 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Dyson - Singapour
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #14254  
Old 23.10.2018, 23:56
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,685
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,024 Times in 7,714 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Dyson started moving production out of the UK in 2002.
So far as I know Dyson have not manufactured anything in Europe in the last decade.

They are rumoured to have at least 7,000 employees in Malaysia and Singapore!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #14255  
Old 24.10.2018, 08:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

For those still with questions about sovereignty, imagine having to have the EU sign off on your national budget.

I know the UK isn't in the Eurozone, however when you read the treaties, it is a stated aim of the EU to have further financial union.

EU rejects debt-hit Italy's budget
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #14256  
Old 24.10.2018, 08:13
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,410
Groaned at 141 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 5,937 Times in 2,552 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I know the UK isn't in the Eurozone
That's a pretty big caveat to your argument for Brexit!
Reply With Quote
  #14257  
Old 24.10.2018, 08:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,202
Groaned at 244 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,283 Times in 5,314 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
For those still with questions about sovereignty, imagine having to have the EU sign off on your national budget.

I know the UK isn't in the Eurozone, however when you read the treaties, it is a stated aim of the EU to have further financial union.

EU rejects debt-hit Italy's budget

funniest quote from the article:
Quote:
This is the first Italian budget that the EU doesn't like
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #14258  
Old 24.10.2018, 09:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 8,155
Groaned at 265 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 10,452 Times in 5,584 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
For those still with questions about sovereignty, imagine having to have the EU sign off on your national budget.

I know the UK isn't in the Eurozone, however when you read the treaties, it is a stated aim of the EU to have further financial union.

EU rejects debt-hit Italy's budget
Then again, once more you picked up the wrong example. From a country driven by inflation, with an Italian lira that was the laugh of the entire stock, probably only Burkina Faso national currency paired the inflation and devaluation this currency has constantly been through, from the dip shit they were in the '60 and '70s and '80s due to corruption and mafia state.....to where Italy is today? And EU didn't play a ing role into this? Wow. Ignoring the evidence, your honour.

Just to make things clear. I don't think UK needs EU. Neither economically, nor culturally. But the South of Europe developed a lot in the past decades due to EU and to say EU is their enemy now? EU didn't invest in each country, not everyone has benefited the same way and I give credit to those countries which were more dilapidated than before and ripped off of their resources instead of being given opportunities, but Italy? For God's sake, please, stop with picking up these kind of examples.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #14259  
Old 24.10.2018, 09:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Then again, once more you picked up the wrong example. From a country driven by inflation, with an Italian lira that was the laugh of the entire stock, probably only Burkina Faso national currency paired the inflation and devaluation this currency has constantly been through, from the dip shit they were in the '60 and '70s and '80s due to corruption and mafia state.....to where Italy is today? And EU didn't play a ing role into this? Wow. Ignoring the evidence, your honour.

Just to make things clear. I don't think UK needs EU. Neither economically, nor culturally. But the South of Europe developed a lot in the past decades due to EU and to say EU is their enemy now? EU didn't invest in each country, not everyone has benefited the same way and I give credit to those countries which were more dilapidated than before and ripped off of their resources instead of being given opportunities, but Italy? For God's sake, please, stop with picking up these kind of examples.
Whether Italy's budget is correct or not is neither here nor there. The fact is that there is a democratically elected government in Italy who were voted in on the promise of economic reform. The EU are now impeding what Italian people, and their government want. This could get interesting.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #14260  
Old 24.10.2018, 09:41
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,410
Groaned at 141 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 5,937 Times in 2,552 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Whether Italy's budget is correct or not is neither here nor there. The fact is that there is a democratically elected government in Italy who were voted in on the promise of economic reform. The EU are now impeding what Italian people, and their government want. This could get interesting.
I suspect if you join a currency union, as Italy did, you can't unilaterally decide you need to print a shit ton more currency - devaluing it for everyone else - without asking them.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (6 members and 1 guests)
Raffles, marton, autopoiesis, fatmanfilms
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 07:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 14:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 19:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 21:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 11:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0