Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #14801  
Old 15.11.2018, 09:29
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,283
Groaned at 115 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,375 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
....yesterday, no resignations...
Looks like I spoke too soon: Shailesh Vara gone.
Reply With Quote
  #14802  
Old 15.11.2018, 09:32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Well going on the performance of the BREXIT MPs so far I'd say there is at least a 50/50 chance. Oh they do a lot of shouting, but not one of them so far has actually stood up and taken responsibility for the decision. No actually challenge to May's leadership, no insistence on a vote in cabinet yesterday, no resignations...

Would not be at all surprised if some of them find excuses not to be in the chamber when the vote is called.
Give it time, I think this withdrawal agreement will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. It took a day or two after the Chequers meeting for the resignations to come. The rumours are rife that enough letters have been sent into Conservative party HQ for a vote of no confidence in the PM. This all before it gets to the house for a vote.

Keir Starmer has said Labour will vote against it, the DUP have said they'll vote against it. May simply doesn't have the numbers to get this though, an absolute non starter.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #14803  
Old 15.11.2018, 09:35
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,046
Groaned at 289 Times in 238 Posts
Thanked 15,591 Times in 8,673 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
With the agreement of the British electorate.
Thats what they voted for so yes.
Reply With Quote
  #14804  
Old 15.11.2018, 09:50
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,714
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 25,227 Times in 9,712 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Thats what they voted for so yes.
Nope. They voted simply to leave. There was no option to say under what terms and conditions.

Look at it like someone offering to make you a cup of coffee but you get no say on whether it's hot or cold, with milk or with sugar, in a mug, in a cup, whether it's free or costs you an arm and a leg. You just said you'd take the coffee, right?

The fatal flaw in the referendum is now starkly clear.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #14805  
Old 15.11.2018, 09:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Dominic Raab gone.

https://twitter.com/DominicRaab/stat...92019449098241
Reply With Quote
  #14806  
Old 15.11.2018, 09:57
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,046
Groaned at 289 Times in 238 Posts
Thanked 15,591 Times in 8,673 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Nope. They voted simply to leave. There was no option to say under what terms and conditions.

Look at it like someone offering to make you a cup of coffee but you get no say on whether it's hot or cold, with milk or with sugar, in a mug, in a cup, whether it's free or costs you an arm and a leg. You just said you'd take the coffee, right?

The fatal flaw in the referendum is now starkly clear.
How come the intelligent remainers could not figure it out & explain to the ignorant leavers?
Reply With Quote
  #14807  
Old 15.11.2018, 10:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

This deal is dead, I wouldn't be surprised if Theresa May resigns before she's pushed.
Reply With Quote
  #14808  
Old 15.11.2018, 10:07
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,714
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 25,227 Times in 9,712 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
How come the intelligent remainers could not figure it out & explain to the ignorant leavers?
Why would they need to? It was there in black and white on the ballot paper. It was obvious to anyone with an ounce of commonsense that simply voting IN or OUT would leave the gate wide open for a leave vote to be interpreted in any way the government and/or EU saw fit.

Anyway, anything Remainers said was poo-poohed as "scare mongering".
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #14809  
Old 15.11.2018, 10:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,202
Groaned at 244 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,286 Times in 5,316 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Nope. They voted simply to leave. There was no option to say under what terms and conditions.

Look at it like someone offering to make you a cup of coffee but you get no say on whether it's hot or cold, with milk or with sugar, in a mug, in a cup, whether it's free or costs you an arm and a leg. You just said you'd take the coffee, right?

The fatal flaw in the referendum is now starkly clear.

But how could you have a say about the terms and conditions at the time of voting? This is the outcome of a negotiation process.



And if you would define terms and conditions as a kind of requirement at the time of voting, you would never be able to negotiate that deal as the preferred outcome would always be something much more favorable for one party than the other.


The best way to go is probably have no deal at all, accept a potential chaos for a while and take it up from there. Or you stay in the EU and accept that you will be the barking dog that doesn't bite.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #14810  
Old 15.11.2018, 10:26
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,714
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 25,227 Times in 9,712 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
But how could you have a say about the terms and conditions at the time of voting? This is the outcome of a negotiation process.
Precisely. But Brexiters don't seem to accept that they are powerless in the terms of the withdrawal. They voted for an in or out and they got an "out". If they wanted a more considered withdrawal without risk of it going in a direction they didn't intend, they should have voted against it.

In principle, I am not wholly against leaving the EU but this referendum was NOT the way to go about it.

It was a vanity project of Cameron to see off UKIP but it backfired because he didn't think it through.




Quote:
View Post
The best way to go is probably have no deal at all, accept a potential chaos for a while and take it up from there. Or you stay in the EU and accept that you will be the barking dog that doesn't bite.
Part of me agrees with you in a kind of "close your eyes and hold your breath" and hope for the best. At least the Brexiters would quit bleating for 5 minutes.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #14811  
Old 15.11.2018, 10:39
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,686
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,025 Times in 7,715 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
But how could you have a say about the terms and conditions at the time of voting? This is the outcome of a negotiation process.



And if you would define terms and conditions as a kind of requirement at the time of voting, you would never be able to negotiate that deal as the preferred outcome would always be something much more favorable for one party than the other.


The best way to go is probably have no deal at all, accept a potential chaos for a while and take it up from there. Or you stay in the EU and accept that you will be the barking dog that doesn't bite.
Well there was an official Leave Party and normally parties publish a manifesto describing what they will do when they win; this they did not do! Probably because despite being the official Leave Party they knew they would have no control over the terms of Brexit.

Nevertheless they could have provided some sort of outline or overview plan.
Instead they just provided a dubious list of the benefits resulting from leaving.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #14812  
Old 15.11.2018, 10:53
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 5,947 Times in 2,556 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
But how could you have a say about the terms and conditions at the time of voting? This is the outcome of a negotiation process.



And if you would define terms and conditions as a kind of requirement at the time of voting, you would never be able to negotiate that deal as the preferred outcome would always be something much more favorable for one party than the other.

The best way to go is probably have no deal at all, accept a potential chaos for a while and take it up from there. Or you stay in the EU and accept that you will be the barking dog that doesn't bite.
Just as well the Leave campaign didn't intimate that doing an exit deal would be easy, that we had all the cards and that negotiating better deals with non-EU countries would be a piece of cake.

You conveniently miss the third option, which would have been to stay in the EU, actively engage in the democratic process there and try and improve things for everyone, rather sniping from the sidelines trying to bring in the institution down, when we should be one of the leading voices within. See for example old Nige moaning about the EU ruining the lives of British fishermen, when he was on that committee and attended something like 1 in 43 meetings of it.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #14813  
Old 15.11.2018, 11:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 22,889
Groaned at 545 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 25,414 Times in 11,656 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

And another one ... gone (Ester McVey)

StirB, that option is still very much on the table- perhaps more than ever. If a People's Vote happens, and I think it will be forced - that 3rd option will just have to be on the ballot.

Now if only Corbyn would go ... and make space for Starmer and others- ot at least come off his bl**dy fence!

Mrs May is not 'my kind of woman' - but she has more colliones than all of them- and as a diabetic, just do not know how she can keep going as she is. So yes, she has won my admiration, if not my vote.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #14814  
Old 15.11.2018, 11:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,202
Groaned at 244 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,286 Times in 5,316 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You conveniently miss the third option, which would have been to stay in the EU, actively engage in the democratic process there and try and improve things for everyone, rather sniping from the sidelines trying to bring in the institution down, when we should be one of the leading voices within. See for example old Nige moaning about the EU ruining the lives of British fishermen, when he was on that committee and attended something like 1 in 43 meetings of it.

i mentioned that option but UK will be the barking dog that will not be taken serious for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #14815  
Old 15.11.2018, 11:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You conveniently miss the third option, which would have been to stay in the EU, actively engage in the democratic process there and try and improve things for everyone, rather sniping from the sidelines trying to bring in the institution down, when we should be one of the leading voices within. See for example old Nige moaning about the EU ruining the lives of British fishermen, when he was on that committee and attended something like 1 in 43 meetings of it.
Nige was (democratically elected) there for a reason: The majority of the UK public does not want to be part of a Federal Europe, and this was the reason people voted to leave.

The UK has tried reform from within and each and every time were told to go whistle. The only reform which ever gets accepted is that of deeper and closer integration. It's pure folly to imagine that this would ever change.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #14816  
Old 15.11.2018, 12:06
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 5,947 Times in 2,556 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Nige was (democratically elected) there for a reason: The majority of the UK public does not want to be part of a Federal Europe, and this was the reason people voted to leave.

The UK has tried reform from within and each and every time were told to go whistle. The only reform which ever gets accepted is that of deeper and closer integration. It's pure folly to imagine that this would ever change.
The majority of the UK public couldn't define to you what "federalised" means, so not buying that for a minute as the driving factor behind Brexit. What percentage of Leavers polled mentioned anything about "Federalisation" vs "immigration"? I'd bet more people mentioned bendy bananas than Federalisation!

Has the UK really tried reform, or has it always been one foot in, one foot out, hoping for the best? The UK has actually managed to get some decent concessions from the EU in the past, but I'm afraid we've had such a vocal Euro-sceptic wing for so long that we've never really given it a chance.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #14817  
Old 15.11.2018, 12:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The majority of the UK public couldn't define to you what "federalised" means, so not buying that for a minute as the driving factor behind Brexit. What percentage of Leavers polled mentioned anything about "Federalisation" vs "immigration"? I'd bet more people mentioned bendy bananas than Federalisation!

Has the UK really tried reform, or has it always been one foot in, one foot out, hoping for the best? The UK has actually managed to get some decent concessions from the EU in the past, but I'm afraid we've had such a vocal Euro-sceptic wing for so long that we've never really given it a chance.
That's the single positive to come out of this agreement is that it finally knocks this whole "immigration being the reason for Brexit" on the head. If there is one thing that this exit deal delivers on, it is control of the UK borders. Yet people are furious with it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #14818  
Old 15.11.2018, 12:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,643
Groaned at 253 Times in 216 Posts
Thanked 9,200 Times in 4,830 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The rumours are rife that enough letters have been sent into Conservative party HQ for a vote of no confidence in the PM.
And then .... what? A different PM won't get you any better deal.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #14819  
Old 15.11.2018, 12:18
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
And then .... what? A different PM won't get you any better deal.
Correct, too many mistakes have been made along the way for that. The only options are No-Deal (my preference) or Remain. Both preferable to what's on offer at the moment.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #14820  
Old 15.11.2018, 13:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 22,889
Groaned at 545 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 25,414 Times in 11,656 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

... an now Anne-Marie Trevelyan.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (1 members and 4 guests)
StirB
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 07:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 14:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 19:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 21:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 11:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0