Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15161  
Old 25.11.2018, 11:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I know this probably a waste of time, since all you do is repeat what you were told, but to amuse us could you at least post the links to your sources for this conclusion? It would be very interesting to see a factual article on how an inanimate object with little or no monetary behind it frustrated the industrial policy of five nations, especially taking account of the fact that Greece had an insolvency problem, Ireland have a cash flow problems etc...

Come on give us a laugh for the long winters evening ahead....
What do you want? Proof that Italy's economy has basically had a cumulative growth of zero since it joined the Euro?



Or proof that there is a massive debt bomb within the eurozone that will eventually go pop?



There's no simplified chart I'm afraid that explains the importance of monetary policy in managing an economy, but it's really basic economics. I suggest you go and do some research.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #15162  
Old 25.11.2018, 12:22
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,637
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 24,966 Times in 9,624 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
What do you want? Proof that Italy's economy has basically had a cumulative growth of zero since it joined the Euro?



Or proof that there is a massive debt bomb within the eurozone that will eventually go pop?



There's no simplified chart I'm afraid that explains the importance of monetary policy in managing an economy, but it's really basic economics. I suggest you go and do some research.
While we're on the subject of "simplified charts". This shows the growth of Europe when its component parts are not at each others throats...
Reply With Quote
  #15163  
Old 25.11.2018, 12:51
Troublawesome's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,057
Groaned at 205 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 972 Times in 438 Posts
Troublawesome has annoyed a few people around hereTroublawesome has annoyed a few people around here
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
While we're on the subject of "simplified charts". This shows the growth of Europe when its component parts are not at each others throats...
What kind of BS chart is this that counts the 12 wealthiest countries as Europe instead of 28? And includes CH in it as well?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Troublawesome for this useful post:
  #15164  
Old 25.11.2018, 13:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
While we're on the subject of "simplified charts". This shows the growth of Europe when its component parts are not at each others throats...
I think if the EU consisted of the gentleman’s club that it would be if made up of those countries then there wouldn’t have been a Brexit!
Reply With Quote
  #15165  
Old 25.11.2018, 13:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 8,114
Groaned at 265 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 10,315 Times in 5,518 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think if the EU consisted of the gentleman’s club that it would be if made up of those countries then there wouldn’t have been a Brexit!
The gentleman's club preserved their privileges also due to the extension of their primary market and resources they had access to, unlimited by any kind of protectionism. The thing is UK didn't have the same advantages as Germany, Holland, Italy etc. I think they should have never joined the club in the first place. Commonwealth had obviously satisfied or would have satisfied their needs much better. I really think you should make a separation between various countries from the "old EU". UK is a pretty special case and I totally agree with their choice. Not with the way they chose to do it, of course. But maybe it's the best for everyone.

Last edited by greenmount; 25.11.2018 at 13:20.
Reply With Quote
  #15166  
Old 25.11.2018, 13:27
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,637
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 24,966 Times in 9,624 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
What kind of BS chart is this that counts the 12 wealthiest countries as Europe instead of 28? And includes CH in it as well?
I did say it was "simplified"

Anyway, the data set is defined as Europe; Switzerland, not to mention Norway, still count as Europe. It's just the EU that they're not members of.

Granted it was a bit friv but given some of the eye-wateringly tenuous reasoning on this thread it fits in beautifully.
Reply With Quote
  #15167  
Old 25.11.2018, 13:47
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
What do you want? Proof that Italy's economy has basically had a cumulative growth of zero since it joined the Euro?



Or proof that there is a massive debt bomb within the eurozone that will eventually go pop?



There's no simplified chart I'm afraid that explains the importance of monetary policy in managing an economy, but it's really basic economics. I suggest you go and do some research.
Are you now proposing that the EU should have a single centrally controlled monetary policy? That is a dramatic change.
Reply With Quote
  #15168  
Old 25.11.2018, 13:49
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I did say it was "simplified"

Anyway, the data set is defined as Europe; Switzerland, not to mention Norway, still count as Europe. It's just the EU that they're not members of.

Granted it was a bit friv but given some of the eye-wateringly tenuous reasoning on this thread it fits in beautifully.
Plus most of the other countries not listed joined the EU after the end date of the chart
Reply With Quote
  #15169  
Old 25.11.2018, 14:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

As there’s virtually no chance of this deal getting through parliament, what do people think will happen next? Only two outcomes I can see are a full u-turn remain, but that’ll require a second referendum. Or a no-deal Brexit. I’m slightly edging towards no-deal Brexit however too many factors at play to have any confidence.
Reply With Quote
  #15170  
Old 25.11.2018, 15:05
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 205
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 220 Times in 117 Posts
John William has earned the respect of manyJohn William has earned the respect of manyJohn William has earned the respect of many
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
As there’s virtually no chance of this deal getting through parliament, what do people think will happen next? Only two outcomes I can see are a full u-turn remain, but that’ll require a second referendum. Or a no-deal Brexit. I’m slightly edging towards no-deal Brexit however too many factors at play to have any confidence.
And to think that if the British Referendum on the EU vote had gone the other way, with the same majority or
better for the UK to remain in the EU - then we wouldn't be finding ourselves in this pickle in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #15171  
Old 25.11.2018, 15:53
Troublawesome's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,057
Groaned at 205 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 972 Times in 438 Posts
Troublawesome has annoyed a few people around hereTroublawesome has annoyed a few people around here
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I think it will get passed, it is a good compromise. Yes, UK only loses from it but in the heads of the ignorant it means a lot to not be part of the EU anymore. It will be a huge victory, until they realize the pain that is coming.


No deal will no be allowed to happen by anyone. No one is in favor of it, not even Moggs and Johnson, the chief clowns.
Reply With Quote
  #15172  
Old 25.11.2018, 15:54
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,233
Groaned at 115 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 4,915 Times in 2,318 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
There's no simplified chart I'm afraid that explains the importance of monetary policy in managing an economy, but it's really basic economics. I suggest you go and do some research.
Your charts prove absolutely nothing! In order to show that the Italian government policy was in some way frustrated by Euro Group membership, you’d actually have to provide an analysis of the policy, identity the actual issues, addressing the reasons why the policy had no impact on the other group members and addressing why member states who do have control such as the UK faired no better. And so on.

Monetary policy is a tool used in managing an economy, but there is very little evidence out there to suggest it has had anything close to the impact it had in the early part of the 20th century.

Producing a couple of generic charts and parroting of some wild statements devoid of factual analysis is exactly what I have come to expect of you.
__________________
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." - Nelson Mandela
Reply With Quote
  #15173  
Old 25.11.2018, 16:17
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,233
Groaned at 115 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 4,915 Times in 2,318 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
As there’s virtually no chance of this deal getting through parliament, what do people think will happen next?
What is your actual experience of UK party politics? Have you been a member of a party, taken part in their meetings, the selection process, campaigned door to door, what?

The fact that the BREXITEERS were unable produced the required 48 letters to start a leadership challenge means the local party chairmen have been tell MPs that they were in danger of being deselected or loosing the seat if they joined in. Expect that to continue. The challenge for May will be to set the rules for the vote - a three line whip and she will loose almost for certain because of the DUP, but anything else and there is a good chance she will get it through.
__________________
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." - Nelson Mandela
Reply With Quote
  #15174  
Old 25.11.2018, 16:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
What is your actual experience of UK party politics? Have you been a member of a party, taken part in their meetings, the selection process, campaigned door to door, what?

The fact that the BREXITEERS were unable produced the required 48 letters to start a leadership challenge means the local party chairmen have been tell MPs that they were in danger of being deselected or loosing the seat if they joined in. Expect that to continue. The challenge for May will be to set the rules for the vote - a three line whip and she will loose almost for certain because of the DUP, but anything else and there is a good chance she will get it through.
Where are the numbers going to come from? Labour have said they’ll oppose it, the DUP and SNP too, ERG plus many other Tories won’t vote for it. So how will she get it over the line?

You can talk about deselection, but that’s something for momentum and Labour. What politicians care more about than anything else is power. And more sensible Tories know that if they back this deal then it’ll keep them out of government for perhaps a generation. There is many an ardent Tory brexiteer that won’t even be able to pinch their nose and vote conservative again if this passes.

And as for the letters, they were almost certainly there. However I think it was realised that unless they could guarantee unseating May then it wasn’t worth the risk of going through with the no confidence motion. The stakes were too high that if they failed then the Tories would be stuck with her for another year thanks to party rules. I think they’re keeping their powder dry until they know they’ll definitely be rid of her I.e. after this deal gets rejected.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at for this post:
  #15175  
Old 25.11.2018, 17:45
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Where are the numbers going to come from? Labour have said they’ll oppose it, the DUP and SNP too, ERG plus many other Tories won’t vote for it. So how will she get it over the line?

You can talk about deselection, but that’s something for momentum and Labour. What politicians care more about than anything else is power. And more sensible Tories know that if they back this deal then it’ll keep them out of government for perhaps a generation. There is many an ardent Tory brexiteer that won’t even be able to pinch their nose and vote conservative again if this passes.

And as for the letters, they were almost certainly there. However I think it was realised that unless they could guarantee unseating May then it wasn’t worth the risk of going through with the no confidence motion. The stakes were too high that if they failed then the Tories would be stuck with her for another year thanks to party rules. I think they’re keeping their powder dry until they know they’ll definitely be rid of her I.e. after this deal gets rejected.
But what will be the implications if the deal fails?
Nobody will be able to claim a win either!
Reply With Quote
  #15176  
Old 25.11.2018, 18:26
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 205
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 220 Times in 117 Posts
John William has earned the respect of manyJohn William has earned the respect of manyJohn William has earned the respect of many
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
But what will be the implications if the deal fails?
Nobody will be able to claim a win either!
Well I suppose Jacob Rees-Mogg could always don a monocle and gleefully announce to the
world, how he single-handly brought down the Brexit agreement and saved his North-East
Somerset constituents from EU vassaldom.


In fact there's a thought - Jacob Rees-Mogg could relaunch himself as, The Monocled Brexiteer !!


The Mirror - Why Monocled Mutineer Jacob Rees-Mogg is Labour's dream Tory Leader

Last edited by John William; 25.11.2018 at 19:06.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John William for this useful post:
  #15177  
Old 25.11.2018, 19:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 22,869
Groaned at 544 Times in 416 Posts
Thanked 25,381 Times in 11,638 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Unbearable situation - anything, just anything could happen.

What is Jeremy Corbyn playing at - will never forgive him
Reply With Quote
  #15178  
Old 25.11.2018, 20:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Your charts prove absolutely nothing! In order to show that the Italian government policy was in some way frustrated by Euro Group membership, you’d actually have to provide an analysis of the policy, identity the actual issues, addressing the reasons why the policy had no impact on the other group members and addressing why member states who do have control such as the UK faired no better. And so on.

Monetary policy is a tool used in managing an economy, but there is very little evidence out there to suggest it has had anything close to the impact it had in the early part of the 20th century.

Producing a couple of generic charts and parroting of some wild statements devoid of factual analysis is exactly what I have come to expect of you.
Well as I'm sure you know, it's very hard to prove these things unequivocally as there's so many other factors involved. There's books that have been written on the subject which you can go and read. Either you can think the Euro has had a huge influence on eurozone economies or it hasn't. (It has)

You're wrong about monetary policy, being able to set interest rates is an important part of running an economy. This is the fundamental problem of the eurozone, how to set the right interest rate for a currency in use by 19 separate economies? And even if you don't think monetary policy is an important tool, Fiscal policy also is limited by countries that are a member of the euro as Italy are currently learning through the EU rejection of their budget.
Reply With Quote
  #15179  
Old 25.11.2018, 21:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
What is Jeremy Corbyn playing at - will never forgive him
Erm, respecting the result of the referendum?

To be fair, I don't think Corbyn is too bothered about Brexit, the only thing he sees it as is an opportunity to push his way into Number 10. Look at the last election - whilst Theresa May was repeating "Strong and Stable" like a demented parrot, he was offering free stuff and barely even mentioned Brexit, it almost paid off too.
Reply With Quote
  #15180  
Old 25.11.2018, 21:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 22,869
Groaned at 544 Times in 416 Posts
Thanked 25,381 Times in 11,638 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

It would be very easy for him to explain clearly why this Referendum does not deserve to be respected, and that Democracy cannot ever be based on lies as big as a bus, proven fraud and foreign interference- and how it is linked to the new laws about tax evasion. And why now the consequences are much clearer, Democracy requires that people have a final say.

I know you will disagree - but it is quite simple, really.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 07:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 14:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 19:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 21:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 11:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0