Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15821  
Old 16.12.2018, 10:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,978
Groaned at 290 Times in 219 Posts
Thanked 17,948 Times in 6,301 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The actual fact as opposed to your BS is that Junker is commission president because he had been the candidate of the parties that won the major at the last EU parliament election. And the UK did their best to prevent the choice of the parliament being appointed and failed.

Try sticking to the actual facts, you ‘ll be a bit more credible that way.
So of all candidates of these parties, Juncker was the best candidate? Do you really believe that?

Edit: whatever. This has not much to do with Brexit.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at k_and_e for this post:
  #15822  
Old 16.12.2018, 11:17
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. ZŁrich
Posts: 9,753
Groaned at 430 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 17,876 Times in 9,532 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So of all candidates of these parties, Juncker was the best candidate? Do you really believe that?

Edit: whatever. This has not much to do with Brexit.
In democracies, the winning candidates are the ones who get the most votes; best is not a criteria - look at examples from the US to China
Reply With Quote
  #15823  
Old 16.12.2018, 13:15
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,227
Groaned at 200 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 6,767 Times in 3,042 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So of all candidates of these parties, Juncker was the best candidate? Do you really believe that?

Edit: whatever. This has not much to do with Brexit.
So why did you bother posting BS then? It gets boring having to call you out on it, but I will.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #15824  
Old 16.12.2018, 13:20
Troublawesome's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,103
Groaned at 245 Times in 143 Posts
Thanked 1,192 Times in 526 Posts
Troublawesome is considered knowledgeableTroublawesome is considered knowledgeableTroublawesome is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Because he's a typical Brexiteer. All facts twisted or misunderstood, EU is the devil and there is nothing wrong with his/her own country where everything is evangelical.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Troublawesome for this useful post:
  #15825  
Old 16.12.2018, 13:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Or do you think: I am a EU citizen and Juncker is my president?
That's exactly what Jim thinks, and Lewton and Troublawesome too. They are EU citizens and he is their democratically elected President. And to think all the proud EU citizens who sneer at Trump and the US .

As a Brexiteer I'm glad Juncker is the Commission President. His "appointment" could be argued as a factor that resulted in Brexit. It was a clear statement of the path that the EU is on, and whether the UK wanted to join them on that journey.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #15826  
Old 16.12.2018, 15:25
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 626
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 786 Times in 448 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So of all candidates of these parties, Juncker was the best candidate? Do you really believe that?

Edit: whatever. This has not much to do with Brexit.
Was May the best candidate in the last UK election?
Reply With Quote
  #15827  
Old 16.12.2018, 15:27
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 626
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 786 Times in 448 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
That's exactly what Jim thinks, and Lewton and Troublawesome too. They are EU citizens and he is their democratically elected President. And to think all the proud EU citizens who sneer at Trump and the US .
I prefer the term chancellor.
Reply With Quote
  #15828  
Old 16.12.2018, 15:38
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuch‚tel
Posts: 12,073
Groaned at 198 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 19,358 Times in 8,046 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Was May the best candidate in the last UK election?
The best candidate for what?
In a UK general election the people vote for the politicians in their constituency and the majority of the people of Maidenhead obviously thought she was the best person to represent them in parliament.
Or do you mean the best candidate for the party leadership? In which case it was the majority of Tory MPs who thought she was and letís face it there arenít many viable, sensible alternatives.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #15829  
Old 16.12.2018, 15:49
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,681
Groaned at 190 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,163 Times in 6,862 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The best candidate for what?
In a UK general election the people vote for the politicians in their constituency and the majority of the people of Maidenhead obviously thought she was the best person to represent them in parliament.
Or do you mean the best candidate for the party leadership? In which case it was the majority of Tory MPs who thought she was and letís face it there arenít many viable, sensible alternatives.
Genuine question by a non-Brit:

People in GB only vote for the party they want to govern the country? Any other decision is the party's decision?

And if so, am I correct in thinking people have only two parties to choose from?
Reply With Quote
  #15830  
Old 16.12.2018, 15:55
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North
Posts: 996
Groaned at 38 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 1,351 Times in 624 Posts
Fish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Genuine question by a non-Brit:

People in GB only vote for the party they want to govern the country? Any other decision is the party's decision?

And if so, am I correct in thinking people have only two parties to choose from?
Basically, yes.

I'm very much hoping that Brexit causes some upheaval in the current system.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Fish Paste for this useful post:
  #15831  
Old 16.12.2018, 16:05
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuch‚tel
Posts: 12,073
Groaned at 198 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 19,358 Times in 8,046 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Genuine question by a non-Brit:

People in GB only vote for the party they want to govern the country? Any other decision is the party's decision?

And if so, am I correct in thinking people have only two parties to choose from?
More or less, yes.

There are more than two parties to choose from but only two have a realistic chance of getting into power.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #15832  
Old 16.12.2018, 17:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,829
Groaned at 180 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 5,076 Times in 2,408 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
More or less, yes.

There are more than two parties to choose from but only two have a realistic chance of getting into power.
Yet the Lib-Dems were 'in power' for some time. Coalition governments are unusual in the UK, but not unknown. For me a coalition government is the best form.
Reply With Quote
  #15833  
Old 16.12.2018, 17:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,328
Groaned at 58 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,612 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Nick Clegg was never in power, merely a lap dog for DC.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SOBEIT for this useful post:
  #15834  
Old 16.12.2018, 17:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,829
Groaned at 180 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 5,076 Times in 2,408 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Nick Clegg was never in power, merely a lap dog for DC.
I believe we were talking about parties, not people.

How about something different? Let's talk about Brexit.
Reply With Quote
  #15835  
Old 16.12.2018, 19:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,328
Groaned at 58 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,612 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I believe we were talking about parties, not people.

How about something different? Let's talk about Brexit.
Who led the party - we are, it was DC who ran like a wind.
Reply With Quote
  #15836  
Old 16.12.2018, 21:10
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,227
Groaned at 200 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 6,767 Times in 3,042 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
That's exactly what Jim thinks, and Lewton and Troublawesome too.
You have no idea what I think! The fact the you choose to ignore the actual facts is entirely on you. You used to amusing, something to pass time while wait for a train or bus, but now it is just boring. So adding you to the ignore list.
Reply With Quote
  #15837  
Old 16.12.2018, 21:12
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. ZŁrich
Posts: 9,753
Groaned at 430 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 17,876 Times in 9,532 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Jaguar Land Rover is cutting hundreds of jobs at its Solihull plant and giving hundreds more workers at its engine factory in Wolverhampton an early break for Christmas as it shifts production abroad and battles a slump in demand.

Around 200 jobs at the carmaker’s Solihull site are reported to be on the block, on top of 1,000 contract jobs that have already been axed, as production of its Discovery model is shifted to Slovakia

Source

If you are a UK manufacturer whose major export market is the EU then you have to be nuts if you do not move production post Brexit to the EU!
JLR is no longer talking about hundreds of job cuts; now it is thousands
"Jaguar Land Rover to 'axe up to 5,000 jobs' to ward off the threat from Brexit, falling sales in China and a drop in demand for diesel cars."

Source

Edit; Solihull voted 56% Leave, turkeys voting for Christmas!

Also layoffs planned for Wolverhampton plant, 62% voted Leave.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at marton for this post:
  #15838  
Old 17.12.2018, 08:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,796
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,202 Times in 7,318 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
That's exactly what Jim thinks, and Lewton and Troublawesome too. They are EU citizens and he is their democratically elected President. And to think all the proud EU citizens who sneer at Trump and the US .

As a Brexiteer I'm glad Juncker is the Commission President. His "appointment" could be argued as a factor that resulted in Brexit. It was a clear statement of the path that the EU is on, and whether the UK wanted to join them on that journey.
How is Juncker worse than others who occupied the same position, some of them for much longer than he did? I'm trying hard to find good enough reasons to dislike him more than others - presidents of the EC or in some other significant position.

No, his appointment wasn't a factor for Brexit. That "marginal" (yeah right) party called UKIP has cooked Brexit for way longer than Juncker's mandate. You and other Brexiteers made it plenty clear that no deal could have stopped UK because you want independence first and foremost. And EU is about common decisions even if not all and each of them fit every country at all times.

People are hypocrites. I've read posts saying "I'm OK if a country decides to kick out all the British citizens residing there, I'll just pack and leave and say thank you for the hospitality" but as soon as some insignificant third national tourist tax is only announced as a possibility everyone is outraged and goes like "Oh NOW I'm really NOT sorry for voting Leave blah blah". I think everyone is responsible for their vote and they should have voted knowing exactly why they voted Leave and that by doing so it will mean that you are going to be treated differently than before i.e. as non-EU citizens. Instead, what people thought they're voting for was their country reserving the right to behave like they please, every time they feel like, with no consequences and no fear of retaliations at all. Like being in EU when they like and not being in EU when they don't like. It's like that and some more when it comes they way some people perceive their god given rights to be above all and everybody else. I'm sorry for failing to be more sympathetic but I've read enough here to make up my mind.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #15839  
Old 17.12.2018, 09:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
How is Juncker worse than others who occupied the same position, some of them for much longer than he did? I'm trying hard to find good enough reasons to dislike him more than others - presidents of the EC or in some other significant position.

No, his appointment wasn't a factor for Brexit. That "marginal" (yeah right) party called UKIP has cooked Brexit for way longer than Juncker's mandate. You and other Brexiteers made it plenty clear that no deal could have stopped UK because you want independence first and foremost. And EU is about common decisions even if not all and each of them fit every country at all times.

People are hypocrites. I've read posts saying "I'm OK if a country decides to kick out all the British citizens residing there, I'll just pack and leave and say thank you for the hospitality" but as soon as some insignificant third national tourist tax is only announced as a possibility everyone is outraged and goes like "Oh NOW I'm really NOT sorry for voting Leave blah blah". I think everyone is responsible for their vote and they should have voted knowing exactly why they voted Leave and that by doing so it will mean that you are going to be treated differently than before i.e. as non-EU citizens. Instead, what people thought they're voting for was their country reserving the right to behave like they please, every time they feel like, with no consequences and no fear of retaliations at all. Like being in EU when they like and not being in EU when they don't like. It's like that and some more when it comes they way some people perceive their god given rights to be above all and everybody else. I'm sorry for failing to be more sympathetic but I've read enough here to make up my mind.
In reality it was just an ill-thought out and knee-jerk vanity project in a desperate plan to stay in power. Nothing more, nothing less.

It royally back-fired, most of parliament is "Remain" and they realise there's actually no viable solution that they can get more than a handful to agree on. There just isn't enough popcorn.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #15840  
Old 17.12.2018, 09:18
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
How is Juncker worse than others who occupied the same position, some of them for much longer than he did? I'm trying hard to find good enough reasons to dislike him more than others - presidents of the EC or in some other significant position.

No, his appointment wasn't a factor for Brexit. That "marginal" (yeah right) party called UKIP has cooked Brexit for way longer than Juncker's mandate. You and other Brexiteers made it plenty clear that no deal could have stopped UK because you want independence first and foremost. And EU is about common decisions even if not all and each of them fit every country at all times.
For sure it was a factor. It was the start of the EU saying we will ignore the concerns of the UK. The UK and Hungary explicitly said that they did not want Juncker to be the Commission President. In the past this decision had been decided by unanimity of the EU member states. Even David Cameron said at the time that if Juncker is appointed President then the UK could leave the EU. When Cameron went back to negotiate the conditions of the UK's membership of the EU with the likes of Juncker he was sent off packing again as the EU didn't take seriously the threat of Brexit.

I won't comment on the rest of your post as to be honest, I don't really understand the point you're trying to make.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 10 (0 members and 10 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0