Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15881  
Old 18.12.2018, 09:45
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,667
Groaned at 190 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,135 Times in 6,852 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Well some good news for Brits living here:

https://www.thelocal.ch/20181217/swi...eement-with-uk
......]
Sloppy job by the theLocal. <<The text of the new agreement remains under wraps for now because the UK is officially barred from negotiating with third countries until it leaves the EU.>>
More likely it's under wraps because it has not passed all Swiss approving authorities yet << If the relevant parliamentary committees, which will be consulted early next year, approve the agreement, it could be signed and be applied from the date on which the UK leaves the EU.>> admin.ch, last sentence.

Should it not happen, I suspect those informed by theLocal will shout "Switzerland has lied to us".
Reply With Quote
  #15882  
Old 18.12.2018, 10:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Sloppy job by the theLocal. <<The text of the new agreement remains under wraps for now because the UK is officially barred from negotiating with third countries until it leaves the EU.>>
More likely it's under wraps because it has not passed all Swiss approving authorities yet << If the relevant parliamentary committees, which will be consulted early next year, approve the agreement, it could be signed and be applied from the date on which the UK leaves the EU.>> admin.ch, last sentence.

Should it not happen, I suspect those informed by theLocal will shout "Switzerland has lied to us".
Anyone who uses theLocal as their news source deserves everything they get.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #15883  
Old 18.12.2018, 10:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,765
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,134 Times in 7,285 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
If you want people to watch videos you post then you will have to provide better "teasers".

A video of some unnamed Italian politician attacking the EU sounds as fascinating as watching paint dry?
Shhh, "bread and circuses" principle at work as usual..... There's not enough bread but plenty of circus! Typical...;-)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #15884  
Old 18.12.2018, 10:52
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,747
Groaned at 430 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 17,810 Times in 9,509 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Well some good news for Brits living here:

https://www.thelocal.ch/20181217/swi...eement-with-uk

And you will still be able to fly here and back to UK:
https://www.thelocal.ch/20181217/swi...-aviation-deal
The UK/Switzerland flights will need to overfly the EU and so need to obtain prior overfly permits from the EU. The Local does not mention this aspect or if prices of these permits will change?
Reply With Quote
  #15885  
Old 18.12.2018, 10:56
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,667
Groaned at 190 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,135 Times in 6,852 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The UK/Switzerland flights will need to overfly the EU and so need to obtain prior overfly permits from the EU. The Local does not mention this aspect or if prices of these permits will change?
Well, not for Swiss as the Swiss need to fly accross EU any bloody way they want to get in and out of their home.
So Swiss might become competitive?
Reply With Quote
  #15886  
Old 18.12.2018, 11:03
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,747
Groaned at 430 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 17,810 Times in 9,509 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Well, not for Swiss as the Swiss need to fly accross EU any bloody way they want to get in and out of their home.
So Swiss might become competitive?
Swiss is not exempt from requesting overfly permits?
Reply With Quote
  #15887  
Old 18.12.2018, 11:09
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,667
Groaned at 190 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,135 Times in 6,852 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Swiss is not exempt from requesting overfly permits?
That's already settled. I'm sure they're paying.

Remember it's GB leaving EU - Switzerland never joined.
Reply With Quote
  #15888  
Old 18.12.2018, 11:35
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Sloppy job by the theLocal.
The article is actually a fair representation of the information alluded to by the British Ambassador last week. Apparently, Switzerland has been very proactive in having plans 'ready to go' as soon as the deal between the EU and UK is resolved. As a result of speaking to the Ambassador, and hearing her answer the questions of others, I feel a lot more secure living here than in any of the EU countries for the moment. Unfortunately, the drama in Westminster continues to trundle on, and pantomime season is upon us, so I don't expect any let up just yet.
Reply With Quote
  #15889  
Old 18.12.2018, 11:40
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,747
Groaned at 430 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 17,810 Times in 9,509 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
That's already settled. I'm sure they're paying.

Remember it's GB leaving EU - Switzerland never joined.
More detail here.

One kicker, the UK will need to have a safety authorisation issued by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) in accordance with Regulation (EU) No 452/2014.
Presumably that possibly means some involvement by the European Court of Justice to settle any disagreements!
Reply With Quote
  #15890  
Old 18.12.2018, 11:51
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,641
Groaned at 2,096 Times in 1,564 Posts
Thanked 35,409 Times in 16,792 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in



Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #15891  
Old 18.12.2018, 12:11
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,747
Groaned at 430 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 17,810 Times in 9,509 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

May to step up no-deal plans at Cabinet meeting with £2bn extra funding

Source

£2Bn!! Bojo's bus is looking really sick
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #15892  
Old 18.12.2018, 12:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,803
Groaned at 178 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 5,034 Times in 2,391 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The UK/Switzerland flights will need to overfly the EU and so need to obtain prior overfly permits from the EU. The Local does not mention this aspect or if prices of these permits will change?
Overflight rights (called 1st freedom rights in industry jargon) are not governed by an EU regulation or directive. They are goverened by the International Air Services Transit Agreement made at Chicago 7 December 1944. This agreement gives reciprocal 1st and 2nd (stop for refueling) rights to all signatories. All EU/EEA Member States including UK and Switzerland are signatories.

Any country can denounce the agreement, but not for individual countries. You are either in or out of the agreement, you cannot be in the agreement, except for the UK for example. The EU, which has only observerstatus at ICAO cannot denounce the agreement.

And don’t forget British Airways in not British. It is Spanish.

If France, for example, denounced the agreement they would lose their overflight rights over practically every other country, causing them endless headaches.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #15893  
Old 18.12.2018, 12:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Overflight rights (called 1st freedom rights in industry jargon) are not governed by an EU regulation or directive. They are goverened by the International Air Services Transit Agreement made at Chicago 7 December 1944. This agreement gives reciprocal 1st and 2nd (stop for refueling) rights to all signatories. All EU/EEA Member States including UK and Switzerland are signatories.

Any country can denounce the agreement, but not for individual countries. You are either in or out of the agreement, you cannot be in the agreement, except for the UK for example. The EU, which has only observerstatus at ICAO cannot denounce the agreement.

And don’t forget British Airways in not British. It is Spanish.

If France, for example, denounced the agreement they would lose their overflight rights over practically every other country, causing them endless headaches.
Please don't let facts get in the way of a good bit of scaremongering. We've been told for months now that we won't be able to fly home and the the UK is going to run out of food and medicines.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #15894  
Old 18.12.2018, 12:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,152
Groaned at 385 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 10,586 Times in 5,588 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
But a United Ireöand shall be brought about only by peaceful means with the consent of a majority of the people, democratically expressed, in both jurisdictions in the island.
Plus the UK's, probably HRM's. Somehow I doubt the people would be allowed to express their opinion in yet another poll that may go wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #15895  
Old 18.12.2018, 12:45
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,859
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,679 Times in 9,622 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Plus the UK's, probably HRM's. Somehow I doubt the people would be allowed to express their opinion in yet another poll that may go wrong.
When it comes to EU maters, Ireland has a bit of a tradition of repeating votes until they get the result the EU wants.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at amogles for this post:
  #15896  
Old 18.12.2018, 12:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
When it comes to EU maters, Ireland has a bit of a tradition of repeating votes until they get the result the EU wants.
Such as?
Reply With Quote
  #15897  
Old 18.12.2018, 12:58
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,889
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Please don't let facts get in the way of a good bit of scaremongering. We've been told for months now that we won't be able to fly home and the the UK is going to run out of food and medicines.
That makes the Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, guilty of scaremongering...
https://www.newstatesman.com/spotlig...rug-stockpiles
Reply With Quote
  #15898  
Old 18.12.2018, 13:05
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,747
Groaned at 430 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 17,810 Times in 9,509 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Overflight rights (called 1st freedom rights in industry jargon) are not governed by an EU regulation or directive. They are goverened by the International Air Services Transit Agreement made at Chicago 7 December 1944. This agreement gives reciprocal 1st and 2nd (stop for refueling) rights to all signatories. All EU/EEA Member States including UK and Switzerland are signatories.

Any country can denounce the agreement, but not for individual countries. You are either in or out of the agreement, you cannot be in the agreement, except for the UK for example. The EU, which has only observerstatus at ICAO cannot denounce the agreement.

And don’t forget British Airways in not British. It is Spanish.

If France, for example, denounced the agreement they would lose their overflight rights over practically every other country, causing them endless headaches.
But
Airlines have to apply for overfly permits and the countries are able to set the prices for these.

Under the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation all contracting states permit overflight by other states, but for most national aviation authorities, prior approval is required in the form of an overflight permit.

The charges normally payable would be the Route Navigation Facility Charges or RNFC for overflights

The procedure for issuance of these permits also varies from country to country.

As I already posted for overflying the EU and/or landing in Switzerland the UK will need to have a safety authorisation issued by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) in accordance with Regulation (EU) No 452/2014.

In the case of flights between Switzerland and non EU countries I already posted the link. Applications for permits must be submitted not later than thirty days before the initial flight.
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
  #15899  
Old 18.12.2018, 13:18
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,667
Groaned at 190 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,135 Times in 6,852 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
That makes the Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, guilty of scaremongering...
https://www.newstatesman.com/spotlig...rug-stockpiles
From your link:

<<To avoid the expected congestion, the government plans to prioritise the movement of medicine and medical devices through alternative routes>>

One never knows what is British humour and what is pure coincidence.
Reply With Quote
  #15900  
Old 18.12.2018, 13:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
From your link:

<<To avoid the expected congestion, the government plans to prioritise the movement of medicine and medical devices through alternative routes>>

One never knows what is British humour and what is pure coincidence.
Darwinian approach to saving the NHS maybe? Sick and elderly all die off waiting for their lorry loads of meds to get through the ports.

NHS and pensions reap the savings.

Ruthless that Theresa May, I tells ya...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 17 (1 members and 16 guests)
RufusB
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0