Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16461  
Old 15.01.2019, 08:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,170
Groaned at 243 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 15,145 Times in 5,253 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Although Trump's fans, as well as convinced Brexiteers, would never admit defeat.
This is exactly where you are wrong. The remainers have lost but are still in denial. For Trump fans or haters, there is always a next election.
Reply With Quote
  #16462  
Old 15.01.2019, 09:03
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,632
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 24,955 Times in 9,619 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
This is exactly where you are wrong. The remainers have lost but are still in denial. For Trump fans or haters, there is always a next election.
I don't think it's denial of having lost. That much is clear. Remainers are ticked off because mostly they were right. The denial from the Brexiters is that they still think it will work as it was touted in the campaign.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #16463  
Old 15.01.2019, 09:32
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,841
Groaned at 125 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 5,155 Times in 2,501 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
This is exactly where you are wrong. The remainers have lost but are still in denial.
Let's see what happens today....
Reply With Quote
  #16464  
Old 15.01.2019, 09:43
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,663
Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,946 Times in 7,667 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
This is exactly where you are wrong. The remainers have lost but are still in denial. For Trump fans or haters, there is always a next election.
Not in denial, I am sure the NHS will be stuffed full with money at any moment.

True about Trump; an odd contrast with Brexit where there is no new referendum planned.
Reply With Quote
  #16465  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,030
Groaned at 85 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 8,070 Times in 3,754 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Not saying that TV habits are necessarily revealing (although we all suspect they are!), but if you want a clear divide, then look no further than 2017's most viewed programs - half are Blue Planet II and half are Strictly / I'm a Sleb...
Must be part of the crossover because I watch both.

It's not about being stupid. Many British people take no interest in politics whatsoever, and I don't blame them. Despite both of my grandfathers being very political, but one of my nans always voted for whoever had the kindest eyes She wasn't a stupid person by any stretch of the imagination, but when the main parties were offering pretty much the same, that was her deciding factor.

I am going to go back to 'Brexit: The Uncivil War' because it really highlights how Leave were in a losing position, but data mining was used to identify, entrench and mobilise the 34% of the population who never vote. The media didn't report on this aspect of the campaign because (like me) they never saw it.

I had a very long conversation at the time, with a friend who was bemoaning being called a racist by mutual former colleagues for her views. I know she isn't. I've known her for 30+yrs and worked with her for 15 of them, but she was parroting 'facts' that were wildly untrue. When I asked where she was getting this shite from, she said, "It's all over facebook". It wasn't all over my facebook, probably because a look at my data would pigeonhole me as an 'ardent internationalist'. Her page is full of photos of her kids and grandchildren, and posts about redundancy.

So let's look at this logically.... 34% of the population don't vote, even in GEs. When we go on Facebook (in particular), we tend to be more receptive emotionally because we're seeing photos of friends and family. That mental state makes us susceptible. If you're a football fan, it could be argued that when visiting a football related site, your mental state is one of pride. Again, it's a susceptible state of mind.

The Leave campaign was bloody brilliant, but it was based upon digging into emotional responses of the 34% and paid scant attention to the facts.

It all worked, and the tactics employed secured the ultimate prize for Mercer, the US Presidency.
Reply With Quote
  #16466  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:15
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,392
Groaned at 141 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 5,846 Times in 2,522 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It's not about being stupid.
We're all entitled to our opinions of course, but could you give a more apt adjective for people who were emotionally persuaded to vote against their own interests, rather than using logic to think out their position?
Reply With Quote
  #16467  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,030
Groaned at 85 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 8,070 Times in 3,754 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
We're all entitled to our opinions of course, but could you give a more apt adjective for people who were emotionally persuaded to vote against their own interests, rather than using logic to think out their position?
You know better than that. It's the juxtaposition of the message that amplifies it, same as with product placement.

Edit: Add to that, the tactic of accusing your opponent of that which you are guilty of, ad infinitum. Every response based upon facts and logic was labelled 'Project Fear' by the people touting fear of immigration and losing the NHS.
Reply With Quote
  #16468  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:17
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 5,998
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 15,444 Times in 4,053 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
We're all entitled to our opinions of course, but could you give a more apt adjective for people who were emotionally persuaded to vote against their own interests, rather than using logic to think out their position?
Gullible?
Reply With Quote
  #16469  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,170
Groaned at 243 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 15,145 Times in 5,253 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I don't think it's denial of having lost. That much is clear. Remainers are ticked off because mostly they were right. The denial from the Brexiters is that they still think it will work as it was touted in the campaign.

I do think it is a kind of denial. It looks like nobody actually expected the outcome of the vote and thought of what to do in case of a leave. The winner of the process is probably the EU: in case the Brexit will be withdrawn, no other country would probably try to leave in the next years.
Reply With Quote
  #16470  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:19
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,392
Groaned at 141 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 5,846 Times in 2,522 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You know better than that. It's the juxtaposition of the message that amplifies it, same as with product placement.
Quote:
View Post
Gullible?
I think, with the greatest of respect, we are splitting hairs a bit at this point. The first two definitions of "stupid" are:

1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.

If you think that doesn't apply here, then that's fine, but I will disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #16471  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:23
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,632
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 24,955 Times in 9,619 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I do think it is a kind of denial. It looks like nobody actually expected the outcome of the vote and thought of what to do in case of a leave. The winner of the process is probably the EU: in case the Brexit will be withdrawn, no other country would probably try to leave in the next years.
Well that maybe true but you intimated that Remainers were in denial because they lost, which is different and clearly not true.

Of course Remainers didn't put too much consideration on a leave outcome. Why should they? The Brexiters broke it, they have to fix it. Instead they are waggling their finger at Remainers and whining that they're doing nothing to help. Brexiters need to stand by their shitshow and own it for once.

In simple terms, it's like burning your own house down despite the wishes of your family then getting pissed off with them because they won't sort it out for you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #16472  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,030
Groaned at 85 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 8,070 Times in 3,754 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
If you think that doesn't apply here, then that's fine, but I will disagree.
Then we'll have to disagree. There is an element of stupid, but there's a huge element of people who respond emotionally rather than logically. People can be logically mature but emotionally barren, and vice versa. That doesn't make them stupid. It was up-to-the-second logical maturity that won the referendum by using emotional exploitation.
Reply With Quote
  #16473  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Well that maybe true but you intimated that Remainers were in denial because they lost, which is different and clearly not true.

Of course Remainers didn't put too much consideration on a leave outcome. Why should they? The Brexiters broke it, they have to fix it. Instead they are waggling their finger at Remainers and whining that they're doing nothing to help. Brexiters need to stand by their shitshow and own it for once.

In simple terms, it's like burning your own house down despite the wishes of your family then getting pissed off with them because they won't sort it out for you.
How can the Brexiteers stand by their “shitshow” when there’s a political system in place that doesn’t allow them? The Tory party is remain and chose a Remainer as Prime Minister. Parliament is vastly Remain and are doing their best to frustrate Brexit. How are Brexiteers supposed to fix it? It’s the system that’s the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #16474  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:41
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,392
Groaned at 141 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 5,846 Times in 2,522 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Perhaps they should have considered how a representative democracy works before voting, and understood that their vote was not legally binding, just advisory? Ho hum.
Reply With Quote
  #16475  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:42
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,632
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 24,955 Times in 9,619 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
How can the Brexiteers stand by their “shitshow” when there’s a political system in place that doesn’t allow them? The Tory party is remain and chose a Remainer as Prime Minister. Parliament is vastly Remain and are doing their best to frustrate Brexit. How are Brexiteers supposed to fix it? It’s the system that’s the problem.
Nope. It's pretty clear that it's unworkable without causing irreversible harm to the country so the Remainers are just the convenient patsys to blame.

Brexiters have been caught in the mother of all scams.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #16476  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,170
Groaned at 243 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 15,145 Times in 5,253 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Well that maybe true but you intimated that Remainers were in denial because they lost, which is different and clearly not true.

Of course Remainers didn't put too much consideration on a leave outcome. Why should they? The Brexiters broke it, they have to fix it. Instead they are waggling their finger at Remainers and whining that they're doing nothing to help. Brexiters need to stand by their shitshow and own it for once.

No. A country democratically decides to leave. There is not something as "the Brexiters" as the Brexiters did not own the referendum. There is only the outcome of a referendum and that outcome is to leave. It is then up to a government to either implement the change or ignore the outcome.


If this is a fail, then it is a collective fail.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #16477  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:51
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,392
Groaned at 141 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 5,846 Times in 2,522 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
No. A country democratically decides to leave. There is not something as "the Brexiters" as the Brexiters did not own the referendum. There is only the outcome of a referendum and that outcome is to leave. It is then up to a government to either implement the change or ignore the outcome.


If this is a fail, then it is a collective fail.
To be honest, if I got roped into trying to implement promises that were impossible, with the risk of getting the blame for not implementing those impossible dreams, I'd probably not poke my head above the parapet either. People who lied need to own those lies, not try to make everyone else equally responsible.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #16478  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:53
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,632
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 24,955 Times in 9,619 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
No. A country democratically decides to leave. There is not something as "the Brexiters" as the Brexiters did not own the referendum. There is only the outcome of a referendum and that outcome is to leave. It is then up to a government to either implement the change or ignore the outcome.


If this is a fail, then it is a collective fail.
Of course Brexiters took ownership of the referendum. It happened as soon as the result was finalised. THEY are the ones who should have figured out what to do in the event they won. Remainers didn't need a plan. Had they won, things would have just continued as they were.

I've no idea why this is so complicated.

Quote:
View Post
How can the Brexiteers stand by their “shitshow” when there’s a political system in place that doesn’t allow them? The Tory party is remain and chose a Remainer as Prime Minister. Parliament is vastly Remain and are doing their best to frustrate Brexit. How are Brexiteers supposed to fix it? It’s the system that’s the problem.
It's almost like there was a blindingly obvious lack of foresight, isn't there?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #16479  
Old 15.01.2019, 11:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,170
Groaned at 243 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 15,145 Times in 5,253 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Of course Brexiters took ownership of the referendum. It happened as soon as the result was finalised. THEY are the ones who should have figured out what to do in the event they won. Remainers didn't need a plan. Had they won, things would have just continued as they were.

I've no idea why this is so complicated.

But there is not such a group, that's what you don't seem to understand. You could give Brexiters a mandate to negotiate the deal and lead the exit only if you you know who those people - and put them in charge. Is it the people that voted for Brexit? Is it the people that campaigned for Brexit? Is it the people that at any point favored Brexit in public?



Compare it with any random referendum in Switzerland and see who will actually implement the outcome.
Reply With Quote
  #16480  
Old 15.01.2019, 11:30
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,408
Groaned at 246 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 15,705 Times in 6,493 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
People in the US had no choice: Hillary or Trump. Trump is simply the result of a failed political system.
It's been said before, but it bears repeating: more Americans voted for Hillary than for Trump.

Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (1 members and 5 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 07:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 14:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 19:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 21:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 11:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0