Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #18241  
Old 05.03.2019, 14:51
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,076
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,689 Times in 8,733 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Breaking

BMW may shift Mini and engine work from UK in no-deal Brexit
https://news.sky.com/story/bmw-may-shift-mini-and-engine-work-from-uk-in-no-deal-brexit-11655739

Perhaps they will become more reliable Bigblue has a lot of issues with his.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #18242  
Old 05.03.2019, 14:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,080
Groaned at 87 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 8,374 Times in 3,870 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Joel TaylorVerified account
@JoelTaylorhack
56m56 minutes ago

Bercow just told a Labour MP off for shouting 'ahoy there' towards Chris Grayling
https://twitter.com/JoelTaylorhack/s...15846689701889



Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #18243  
Old 05.03.2019, 15:16
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,985
Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 13,976 Times in 5,555 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps they will become more reliable Bigblue has a lot of issues with his.
had, which is why I'd never have another, but that was when they used french engines lol
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #18244  
Old 05.03.2019, 15:32
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,495
Groaned at 149 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 4,347 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It's funny that the country of BSE and horse meat scandals is now so worried about the quality of imported meat.
BSE is a great topic of conversation, albeit it a bit outside the EU debate. Thing is, it seems to have such a huge reputation, like its some massive killer and never-again scandal.

since it was discovered at the last count looks like 177 people have died from vCJD. 177 over 26 years. so about 7 people a year. 13 people die on average in fishing accidents each year.

this is not to say the above comment isnt right about imported meat etc etc and I dont mean anything against your comment k_and_e. I just tend to chuckle at the mass panic that can still come across some people's faces at the mention of british beef and bse. mud sticks as they say.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #18245  
Old 05.03.2019, 15:36
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,417
Groaned at 142 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 5,997 Times in 2,579 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
BSE is a great topic of conversation, albeit it a bit outside the EU debate. Thing is, it seems to have such a huge reputation, like its some massive killer and never-again scandal.

since it was discovered at the last count looks like 177 people have died from vCJD. 177 over 26 years. so about 7 people a year. 13 people die on average in fishing accidents each year.

this is not to say the above comment isnt right about imported meat etc etc and I dont mean anything against your comment k_and_e. I just tend to chuckle at the mass panic that can still come across some people's faces at the mention of british beef and bse. mud sticks as they say.
Indeed - I wonder how many people die worldwide annually because of our inability to give blood? I would assume a hefty multiple of 7.
Reply With Quote
  #18246  
Old 05.03.2019, 15:49
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,076
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,689 Times in 8,733 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Indeed - I wonder how many people die worldwide annually because of our inability to give blood? I would assume a hefty multiple of 7.
Brits can give blood in the UK, I don't believe a worldwide ban exists so I suspect the true answer is not multiples of 7.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #18247  
Old 05.03.2019, 16:14
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,417
Groaned at 142 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 5,997 Times in 2,579 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Brits can give blood in the UK, I don't believe a worldwide ban exists so I suspect the true answer is not multiples of 7.
Of course there is no worldwide ban - there is no organization that could enforce this, but many countries do not allow people who lived in Britain between the 80s and mid 90s to donate...e.g.

USA
Most of Europe
Australia
Canada
HK
etc etc
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #18248  
Old 05.03.2019, 16:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
BSE is a great topic of conversation, albeit it a bit outside the EU debate. Thing is, it seems to have such a huge reputation, like its some massive killer and never-again scandal.

since it was discovered at the last count looks like 177 people have died from vCJD. 177 over 26 years. so about 7 people a year. 13 people die on average in fishing accidents each year.

this is not to say the above comment isnt right about imported meat etc etc and I dont mean anything against your comment k_and_e. I just tend to chuckle at the mass panic that can still come across some people's faces at the mention of british beef and bse. mud sticks as they say.
Second wave could be on its way:

30000 may have human form of mad cow disease
Many more people could still die from mad cow disease in the UK
Reply With Quote
  #18249  
Old 05.03.2019, 16:27
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,985
Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 13,976 Times in 5,555 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Of course there is no worldwide ban - there is no organization that could enforce this, but many countries do not allow people who lived in Britain between the 80s and mid 90s to donate...e.g.

USA
Most of Europe
Australia
Canada
HK
etc etc
Switzerland
Reply With Quote
  #18250  
Old 05.03.2019, 16:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,495
Groaned at 149 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 4,347 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Indeed - I wonder how many people die worldwide annually because of our inability to give blood? I would assume a hefty multiple of 7.
so the loss is people who were in the UK during the mid 90's who no longer live in the UK and now need to give a blood transfusion which cannot be sourced otherwise and the lack of which results in the loss of life.

yeah, must be millions.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #18251  
Old 05.03.2019, 17:10
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,076
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,689 Times in 8,733 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Of course there is no worldwide ban - there is no organization that could enforce this, but many countries do not allow people who lived in Britain between the 80s and mid 90s to donate...e.g.

USA
Most of Europe
Australia
Canada
HK
etc etc
So we are not talking about countries where people die daily due to lack of blood available from donors.

Perhaps they successfully used the company car exemption?
Reply With Quote
  #18252  
Old 05.03.2019, 17:25
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,687
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,053 Times in 7,732 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Traffic jams built up on Tuesday around the French port of Calais as customs officers worked to rule, carrying out tighter checks on lorries heading for the Channel Tunnel and the ferry port.

The action, which began on Monday, is aimed at improving pay and staff numbers ahead of the UK's expected departure from the EU on 29 March.

Dunkirk, further up the French coast, is also affected.

"Brexit is a catalyst for deeper anger," said one union official.
Source

Actually seems to be working better than expected with 3 hour delays in Calais and several Km of traffic jams
Reply With Quote
  #18253  
Old 05.03.2019, 17:35
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,417
Groaned at 142 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 5,997 Times in 2,579 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So we are not talking about countries where people die daily due to lack of blood available from donors.
There don't seem to be stats on this, unfortunately. America is running out of blood though...

https://www.redcrossblood.org/local-...-shortage.html

There are similar articles for AUS, CAN etc. Platelets only last 5 days, so a constant supply is needed.

So it isn't unreasonable to think there are people dying from a lack of blood, or at least that some will in the future. There's over a million Brits living in North America (and even more people who lived in the UK between 1980-1996) who are a potential source of blood.
Reply With Quote
  #18254  
Old 05.03.2019, 17:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 22,900
Groaned at 545 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 25,421 Times in 11,659 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Victoria station - first time ever- security checks and identity checks for coaches from Continent- under the Anti-social Act 2014?!?

Welcome to Brexit Britain. Passengers travelling from other UK stations pulled in into search because they 'look foreign'.

https://www.facebook.com/carmen12345...7164837567542/

Later edit - so exceptional circumstances it seems - strikes and queues in Calais and some suspect parcels at several UK transport hubs- so ...

Last edited by Odile; 05.03.2019 at 19:12.
Reply With Quote
  #18255  
Old 05.03.2019, 17:55
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: With your mama
Posts: 47
Groaned at 68 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 71 Times in 49 Posts
mediasapiens is considered unworthymediasapiens is considered unworthymediasapiens is considered unworthymediasapiens is considered unworthy
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Of course there is no worldwide ban - there is no organization that could enforce this, but many countries do not allow people who lived in Britain between the 80s and mid 90s to donate...e.g.

USA
Most of Europe
Australia
Canada
HK
etc etc
Can someone think of an excellent joke? I know it is somewhere there.
Reply With Quote
  #18256  
Old 05.03.2019, 19:55
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,076
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,689 Times in 8,733 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Victoria station - first time ever- security checks and identity checks for coaches from Continent- under the Anti-social Act 2014?!?

Welcome to Brexit Britain. Passengers travelling from other UK stations pulled in into search because they 'look foreign'.

https://www.facebook.com/carmen12345...7164837567542/

Later edit - so exceptional circumstances it seems - strikes and queues in Calais and some suspect parcels at several UK transport hubs- so ...
So like CH every day! Of course before Schengen there was virtually zero passport control entering the UK with a British or EU passport, the problems came after allowing the Swiss in without filling in a landing card
Reply With Quote
  #18257  
Old 05.03.2019, 20:38
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,504
Groaned at 135 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 10,158 Times in 5,410 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So like CH every day! Of course before Schengen there was virtually zero passport control entering the UK with a British or EU passport, the problems came after allowing the Swiss in without filling in a landing card
And you wouldn't believe how hard I always had to fight to be allowed in the non-EU queue!
Teeth, claws and harsh logic managed me to get a "but next time you must ...!"
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #18258  
Old 05.03.2019, 21:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 22,900
Groaned at 545 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 25,421 Times in 11,659 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Has anyone encountered this kind of security and baggage check at any Swiss train station? Please give detail.

As for Swiss having to queue in separate queue, I have said it before. Pre EU and reciprocal agreements with CH - Swiss nationals had to queue with 'aliens' - as a young mother of a small baby, I was required to leave the baby with British OH in a separate queue. And I know some of you don't believe it - but that is not my problem.
Reply With Quote
  #18259  
Old 05.03.2019, 22:46
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,076
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,689 Times in 8,733 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone encountered this kind of security and baggage check at any Swiss train station? Please give detail.

As for Swiss having to queue in separate queue, I have said it before. Pre EU and reciprocal agreements with CH - Swiss nationals had to queue with 'aliens' - as a young mother of a small baby, I was required to leave the baby with British OH in a separate queue. And I know some of you don't believe it - but that is not my problem.
It's only since December 2008 that the Swiss could use the EU queue when entering the UK. Thats about when the Brits had to queue for the first time as before Schengen you just walked in & waved a passport.
Reply With Quote
  #18260  
Old 05.03.2019, 22:58
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,737
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 25,323 Times in 9,751 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It's only since December 2008 that the Swiss could use the EU queue when entering the UK. Thats about when the Brits had to queue for the first time as before Schengen you just walked in & waved a passport.
Err nope. I’ve flown with Swiss people into the UK since 2003 and they’ve always joined me in the EU queue. No idea what airports you’ve been using. Channel Islands, maybe?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
europe




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 07:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 14:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 19:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 21:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 11:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0