Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #321  
Old 31.03.2016, 11:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,388
Groaned at 195 Times in 152 Posts
Thanked 6,469 Times in 3,487 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Quote:
View Post
If Trump is elected, the biggest tide of immigration will probably be from the U.S. to Canada. In anticipation of this, I support this campaign...

http://brickingitforcanada.com/
Two countries I would't particularly choose to live to be fair (to visit yes, any time, even for extended periods).
It has nothing to do with Trump and the likes, I know people who have "made it" and are living the American dream (maybe because they are highly educated and white) it's just the fact that the grass doesn't seem greener over there. (not that Europe is any better)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #322  
Old 31.03.2016, 12:02
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,548
Groaned at 146 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 15,217 Times in 6,476 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Quote:
View Post
Two countries I would't particularly choose to live to be fair (to visit yes, any time, even for extended periods).
It has nothing to do with Trump and the likes, I know people who have "made it" and are living the American dream (maybe because they are highly educated and white) it's just the fact that the grass doesn't seem greener over there. (not that Europe is any better)
I have no illusions that in some respects life is tougher in the USA, but there is something about it that I find very attractive, even if it is something I find very difficult to formulate and explain. It's something about the general atmosphere and way things happen. This is not going to go away, no matter who wins the election. It's too deeply rooted for that. America will never become a bad copy of Europe. I am aware that if I live there permenently that feel good vacation flavour will eventually wear off and the grindstone side will remain. But I think if I was offered an interesting position and interesting conditions, I would certainly consider it.

On the other hand, if I had the choice between being poor and without opportunity in America and poor and without opportunity in Europe I'd stick with Europe. Although something tells me the years of (relative) comfort are coming to an end here too, so maybe it will soon be time to reconsider this statement.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #323  
Old 31.03.2016, 12:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,388
Groaned at 195 Times in 152 Posts
Thanked 6,469 Times in 3,487 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Quote:
View Post
I have no illusions that in some respects life is tougher in the USA, but there is something about it that I find very attractive, even if it is something I find very difficult to formulate and explain. It's something about the general atmosphere and way things happen. This is not going to go away, no matter who wins the election. It's too deeply rooted for that. America will never become a bad copy of Europe. I am aware that if I live there permenently that feel good vacation flavour will eventually wear off and the grindstone side will remain. But I think if I was offered an interesting position and interesting conditions, I would certainly consider it.

On the other hand, if I had the choice between being poor and without opportunity in America and poor and without opportunity in Europe I'd stick with Europe. Although something tells me the years of (relative) comfort are coming to an end here too, so maybe it will soon be time to reconsider this statement.
All of the above and some more: if you have or want to have children consider the education system and how much tertiary education costs. Also, if your parents are getting really old, or you have nephews&nieces you want to know while growing up and have a connection with....nah, it's too far away. We actually had this opportunity but could't find good reasons to move there. That might change in the future, who knows.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #324  
Old 31.03.2016, 12:56
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,548
Groaned at 146 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 15,217 Times in 6,476 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Quote:
View Post
All of the above and some more: if you have or want to have children consider the education system and how much tertiary education costs. Also, if your parents are getting really old, or you have nephews&nieces you want to know while growing up and have a connection with....nah, it's too far away. We actually had this opportunity but could't find good reasons to move there. That might change in the future, who knows.
My children are already beyond that phase (oooh, this makes me sound older than I really am), so those costs are no longer an issue.

But I agree about the parents and family thing. But having said that even living in Switzerland I don't go to the UK to see my family nearlly half as much as I could. And maybe living in the USA, they might actually come and see me rather than expecting me to come and see them all the time (none of my neices are especially interested in mountains or skiing unfortunately). My father is also a bit of a US buff but doesn't care much for Switzerland - but is actually mostly too lazy to travel.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #325  
Old 31.03.2016, 14:34
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 1,325
Groaned at 52 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,558 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Quote:
View Post
Two countries I would't particularly choose to live to be fair (to visit yes, any time, even for extended periods).
It has nothing to do with Trump and the likes, I know people who have "made it" and are living the American dream (maybe because they are highly educated and white) it's just the fact that the grass doesn't seem greener over there. (not that Europe is any better)
Agreed.

I have family in both the US and Canada, but have no desire to live in either country. I wouldn't want to live outside of Europe.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #326  
Old 31.03.2016, 22:16
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,743
Groaned at 178 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 9,674 Times in 5,258 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Seems Greece plans to start shipping refugees back to Turkey on Monday! The actual work has been outsourced to Frontex, the EU border agency, must be costing a fortune.

Probably would be cheaper to hire the smugglers.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #327  
Old 01.04.2016, 23:43
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,743
Groaned at 178 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 9,674 Times in 5,258 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Too many rumours floating around to give all the sources
  • the most senior Greek asylum official, Maria Stavropoulou, called for a 20-fold increase in personnel
  • Amnesty International (and other agencies)alleged that unaccompanied children were among the Syrians illegally expelled from Turkey since January.
  • UN refugee agency again called for a halt to the deal unless Turkey could guarantee refugees’ basic rights.
  • Deportations in the immediate future will be limited to those who have agreed voluntarily to return to Turkey.
  • UN refugee agency reported that a boat carrying refugees had reached southern Italy
  • Deportations will be carried out under heavy security escort - with one police minder for every migrant

If only a fraction of the above is true it is a real mess
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 02.04.2016, 01:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
denisevvz has no particular reputation at present
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Ηello,
I'm from Greece and almost every day I'm reading the news about refugees and migrants in Greece. We have to deal with a very difficult situation. The main problem in Greece is not about those people about money. Greece has not money to live Greek people and trying to help others. I've seen many refugees and there are a lot of kids. In order to help them, what could be the best solution?
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 02.04.2016, 01:40
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,743
Groaned at 178 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 9,674 Times in 5,258 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Quote:
View Post
Ηello,
I'm from Greece and almost every day I'm reading the news about refugees and migrants in Greece. We have to deal with a very difficult situation. The main problem in Greece is not about those people about money. Greece has not money to live Greek people and trying to help others. I've seen many refugees and there are a lot of kids. In order to help them, what could be the best solution?
The EU must give Greece a big chunk of money to cope.

Greece is facing enormous costs with no financial reserves.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #330  
Old 02.04.2016, 11:12
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bern, baby, Bern
Posts: 1,273
Groaned at 41 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,074 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Quote:
The rapid rate of arrivals in the once-welcoming nation (Germany) has forced a backlog of 770,000 asylum requests. About half of them, authorities say, will be rejected.
..
the challenge the country faces today is unprecedented. Chancellor Angela Merkel’s open-door stance for those fleeing war in the Middle East turned it into a magnet.
..
Since Merkel’s famous welcome speech last year, nationals from a dizzying number of countries have crossed German borders, with many destroying their passports to make it harder to send them back.
..
In the months to come, we will have a few hundred thousand people who are supposed to leave the country
..
“I wanted a new life, but they are making it so difficult for me here,” Baloch said, fighting back tears.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...05f_story.html

Merkel's "wilkommenkultur" caused 1 million people people to flock to Germany in the last year expecting a "better life"...now Germany is saying half of these people will need to leave in the next few months?
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank esto for this useful post:
  #331  
Old 02.04.2016, 13:27
parnell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 400
Groaned at 101 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 1,111 Times in 533 Posts
parnell has an excellent reputationparnell has an excellent reputationparnell has an excellent reputationparnell has an excellent reputation
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Quote:
View Post
Ηello,
I'm from Greece and almost every day I'm reading the news about refugees and migrants in Greece. We have to deal with a very difficult situation. The main problem in Greece is not about those people about money. Greece has not money to live Greek people and trying to help others. I've seen many refugees and there are a lot of kids. In order to help them, what could be the best solution?
Stop voting for liars and thieves.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank parnell for this useful post:
  #332  
Old 02.04.2016, 22:04
kriss kross's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: BE
Posts: 166
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 936 Times in 423 Posts
kriss kross has earned the respect of manykriss kross has earned the respect of manykriss kross has earned the respect of many
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Quote:
View Post
Greece has not money to live Greek people and trying to help others. I've seen many refugees and there are a lot of kids.
In order to help them, what could be the best solution?
A good start would be getting all the Greek citizens who are living in Gstaad to pay their taxes then Greece probably wouldn't be in debt!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kriss kross for this useful post:
  #333  
Old 07.04.2016, 01:00
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,743
Groaned at 178 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 9,674 Times in 5,258 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

So Greece sent 202 refugees to Turkey last Monday (not 500 as originally announced) and has not yet announced plans to send any more!

Slowly turning from a mess into a farce?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #334  
Old 08.04.2016, 19:41
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,189
Groaned at 367 Times in 209 Posts
Thanked 5,904 Times in 2,190 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

There's been a huge fall in the number of migrants reaching Germany. The whole of the EU owes the Balkan countries a massive debt of gratitude. Closing the door on the Balkan route has worked. Remember, this is something that Merkel didn't want.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35999015
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 08.04.2016, 19:54
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,743
Groaned at 178 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 9,674 Times in 5,258 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Quote:
View Post
So Greece sent 202 refugees to Turkey last Monday (not 500 as originally announced) and has not yet announced plans to send any more!

Slowly turning from a mess into a farce?
Seems Greece deported another 45 today. If they continue at this giddy rate they will still be at it when our grandchildren are retiring

Source

The Guardian claims a total of 124 people were deported today.Source

Meanwhile Erdogan has announced if the EU do not meet all his demands then Turkey will cancel the agreement.
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 09.04.2016, 00:20
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,256
Groaned at 551 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 10,856 Times in 5,574 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Don't forget, the EU agreement with Turkey is to swap illegal migrants already in Greece for genuine refugees living in Turkey. It was unhappy Pakistanis that were sent back to Turkey this morning, so we can expect an equal number of Syrians coming to Greece for processing, and possible integration into an EU country.

Nothing much will change unless the EU gives some stronger leadership, and more food and transport etc, to Greece and Italy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #337  
Old 09.04.2016, 10:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,388
Groaned at 195 Times in 152 Posts
Thanked 6,469 Times in 3,487 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Quote:
View Post
Seems Greece deported another 45 today. If they continue at this giddy rate they will still be at it when our grandchildren are retiring

Source

The Guardian claims a total of 124 people were deported today.Source

Meanwhile Erdogan has announced if the EU do not meet all his demands then Turkey will cancel the agreement.
The sultan Erdogan is in dire need of money: his announced plan of building mosques in around 26 countries is still strong and going ahead. Those intentions brought him accusations of islamism when he was only the mayor of Istanbul, but they are keeping him in power today.
I don't think that the EU tax payer is aware of these movements.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recep_...n#Imprisonment

Quote:
In December 1997, Erdoğan recited a poem in Siirt from a work written by Ziya Gökalp, a pan-Turkish activist of the early 20th century.[51] His recitation included verses translated as "The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers...."[36] which are not in the original version of the poem. Erdoğan said the poem had been approved by the education ministry to be published in textbooks.[52] Under article 312/2 of the Turkish penal code his recitation was regarded as an incitement to violence and religious or racial hatred.[5] He was given a ten-month prison sentence of which he served four months, from 24 March 1999 to 27 July 1999.[53] Due to his conviction, Erdoğan was forced to give up his mayoral position. The conviction also stipulated a political ban, which prevented him from participating in parliamentary elections.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #338  
Old 12.04.2016, 14:27
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,743
Groaned at 178 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 9,674 Times in 5,258 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

According to the UN here circa 600 refugees arrived in Greece in the last week and Greece deported ca. 300.

Edit; no new planned deportations have been announced by Greece
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 12.04.2016, 14:48
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,743
Groaned at 178 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 9,674 Times in 5,258 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Quote:
View Post
The sultan Erdogan is in dire need of money: his announced plan of building mosques in around 26 countries is still strong and going ahead.
Those intentions brought him accusations of islamism when he was only the mayor of Istanbul, but they are keeping him in power today.

I don't think that the EU tax payer is aware of these movements.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recep_...n#Imprisonment
Not only him; it is claimed Saudi and Iran are also competing to build mosques around the globe.
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 12.04.2016, 15:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,388
Groaned at 195 Times in 152 Posts
Thanked 6,469 Times in 3,487 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU gives Greece deadline on borders

Quote:
View Post
Not only him; it is claimed Saudi and Iran are also competing to build mosques around the globe.
Oh, he is in a very enlightened company...Ataturk is turning in his grave.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks The Local Swiss news via The Local 32 23.07.2015 09:52
converting EU drive license after 12 months deadline elenoire Transportation/driving 10 15.12.2014 18:44
UBS gives data on rivals in US tax probe The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 09.02.2012 10:00
Non-EU/EU married couple - B permit based on Non-EU's Employment? WorldTraveller Permits/visas/government 12 14.09.2007 20:31
Greece on fire keep walking International affairs/politics 3 26.08.2007 20:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0