Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 19.06.2016, 19:19
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 16,555
Groaned at 1,063 Times in 822 Posts
Thanked 44,083 Times in 13,632 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

What? Nazis turn out to be a bunch of violent, antidemocratic thugs?

No way!
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 19.06.2016, 19:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,032
Groaned at 445 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 23,987 Times in 10,887 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
What? Nazis turn out to be a bunch of violent, antidemocratic thugs?

No way!
Some of us hoped that nazis would not become so prevalent in the 21st Century, and in UK - and that we would have learnt from history.

I know, I know ...
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 19.06.2016, 19:26
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 16,555
Groaned at 1,063 Times in 822 Posts
Thanked 44,083 Times in 13,632 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
Some of us hoped that nazis would not become so prevalent in the 21st Century, and in UK - and that we would have learnt from history.

I know, I know ...
We can't say we didn't see it coming.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #124  
Old 19.06.2016, 19:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,032
Groaned at 445 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 23,987 Times in 10,887 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Enoch Powell 'rivers of blood'?

Now this is what is going on now in parts of the UK. How and why can they not be stopped by police and prosecuted for inciting hatred after Jo Cox's death. This is not just one 'mad man' ... as we originally thought.

twitter.com/NANorthEast_?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 19.06.2016, 19:35
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 16,555
Groaned at 1,063 Times in 822 Posts
Thanked 44,083 Times in 13,632 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
Enoch Powell 'rivers of blood'?

Now this is what is going on now in parts of the UK. How and why can they not be stopped by police and prosecuted for inciting hatred after Jo Cox's death. This is not just one 'mad man' ... as we originally thought.

twitter.com/NANorthEast_?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
You lived in Leicester in the seventies. Is this really, honestly, news to you?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #126  
Old 19.06.2016, 19:42
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy McModface
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,506
Groaned at 57 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 8,948 Times in 3,291 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
Almost beats the one I saw yesterday about Jo Cox's murder being part of an EU conspiracy and Mair being the patsy.
I wondered how long that would take to surface. It took longer than I anticipated.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 19.06.2016, 19:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,032
Groaned at 445 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 23,987 Times in 10,887 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Ah yes, we had just arrived when the Ugandan Asians arrived, thrown out by Iddi Amin and it did cause some troubles. I remember the reaction when the Council decided to bus kids out of City schools to the suburbs.

But it was short lived- within a very short time, the Ugandan Asians had completely done up parts of Leicester that were derelict, and their kids were doing brilliantly at school - and soon taken out to go to the private schools the locals who could afford to had sent their kids to, to get away from them. Then moved out of those parts of Leicester to the affluent suburbs, reviving businesses, factories, and being dentists, doctors, lawyers, etc. Yep- I was there - it worked. Leicester City has never looked back.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #128  
Old 19.06.2016, 19:47
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 16,555
Groaned at 1,063 Times in 822 Posts
Thanked 44,083 Times in 13,632 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
Ah yes, we had just arrived when the Ugandan Asians arrived, thrown out by Iddi Amin and it did cause some troubles. I remember the reaction when the Council decided to bus kids out of City schools to the suburbs.

But it was short lived- within a very short time, the Ugandan Asians had completely done up parts of Leicester that were derelict, and their kids were doing brilliantly at school - and soon taken out to go to the private schools the locals who could afford to had sent their kids to, to get away from them. Then moved out of those parts of Leicester to the affluent suburbs, reviving businesses, factories, and being dentists, doctors, lawyers, etc. Yep- I was there - it worked. Leicester City has never looked back.
Er, yeah. Very good. Thank you. Anyway, back on topic: you know that racism and the neo-nazi movement are not a 21st century phenomenon, right?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #129  
Old 19.06.2016, 20:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,574
Groaned at 224 Times in 155 Posts
Thanked 4,499 Times in 1,746 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
I wondered how long that would take to surface. It took longer than I anticipated.


I'm personally of the opinion that Sadiq Khan was responsible for arranging it this time
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #130  
Old 20.06.2016, 03:28
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,105
Groaned at 103 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 14,618 Times in 4,709 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Powerful monologue from James O'Brien

Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #131  
Old 20.06.2016, 09:20
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,758
Groaned at 498 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 7,893 Times in 3,096 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
Powerful monologue from James O'Brien

Anyone that questions the right to freedom of speech shouldn't be taken seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 20.06.2016, 09:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,574
Groaned at 224 Times in 155 Posts
Thanked 4,499 Times in 1,746 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
Anyone that questions the right to freedom of speech shouldn't be taken seriously.
Well, there is no absolute right to freedom of speech, nor has there ever been anywhere
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #133  
Old 20.06.2016, 09:56
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 7,310
Groaned at 210 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 12,969 Times in 5,329 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
Anyone that questions the right to freedom of speech shouldn't be taken seriously.
Is that what he did? I didn't hear that. How did he question the right to freedom of speech?

By the way, what freedom of speech? This is the UK we're talking about, not the USA. There is no blanket right to freedom of speech in the UK, unless you're a politician debating in Parliament.

ETA: Looks like porsch types faster than I do.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 20.06.2016, 09:59
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,758
Groaned at 498 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 7,893 Times in 3,096 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
Well, there is no absolute right to freedom of speech, nor has there ever been anywhere
Within the boundaries of the laws which govern that country they do.

This attack should be put into perspective, and idiots like this guy don't help. If this does turn out to have been a politically motivated attack by someone of sane mind, then the number of casualties is one.

In the grand scheme of things, terrorism is rare, it's unlikely to affect Joe Bloggs on the street. Abandoning freedom of speech however would affect everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 20.06.2016, 10:10
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 7,310
Groaned at 210 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 12,969 Times in 5,329 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
Within the boundaries of the laws which govern that country they do.

This attack should be put into perspective, and idiots like this guy don't help. If this does turn out to have been a politically motivated attack by someone of sane mind, then the number of casualties is one.

In the grand scheme of things, terrorism is rare, it's unlikely to affect Joe Bloggs on the street. Abandoning freedom of speech however would affect everyone.
Again, what freedom of speech, and even if it exists, who has advocated abandoning it?
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 20.06.2016, 10:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kt Zh
Posts: 5,345
Groaned at 26 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 7,734 Times in 3,359 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post


I'm personally of the opinion that Sadiq Khan was responsible for arranging it this time
Is this more irony?
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 20.06.2016, 10:36
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,758
Groaned at 498 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 7,893 Times in 3,096 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
Again, what freedom of speech, and even if it exists, who has advocated abandoning it?
"Pushed to murder...by the level of political debate..."

What else do you suppose he's trying to say?
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 20.06.2016, 10:41
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,009
Groaned at 95 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 4,057 Times in 1,972 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post


I'm personally of the opinion that Sadiq Khan was responsible for arranging it this time
Just for those that might take this seriously, the 2003 vote was on adopting the Euro and not on leaving the EU. 56% voted against.

Sweden of course never adopted the Euro and still uses the SEK today.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #139  
Old 20.06.2016, 10:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,574
Groaned at 224 Times in 155 Posts
Thanked 4,499 Times in 1,746 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
Within the boundaries of the laws which govern that country they do.

This attack should be put into perspective, and idiots like this guy don't help. If this does turn out to have been a politically motivated attack by someone of sane mind, then the number of casualties is one.

In the grand scheme of things, terrorism is rare, it's unlikely to affect Joe Bloggs on the street. Abandoning freedom of speech however would affect everyone.
Well, no, the number of casualties numbers in the millions. It was terrorism and that's what terrorism is and why it differs from normal crime. This was an attack on all of us, and the weapons weren't knives or guns but fear. It was an attack on democracy.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #140  
Old 20.06.2016, 10:43
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,105
Groaned at 103 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 14,618 Times in 4,709 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack

Quote:
View Post
"Pushed to murder...by the level of political debate..."

What else do you suppose he's trying to say?
Well its up to the courts to decide where free speech ends and incitement to racial or religious hatred begins.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice please [nervous about train travel after the attack in France] seliza Daily life 30 24.08.2015 10:13
Shooting in Aargau - several dead telandy Daily life 1 10.05.2015 10:22
3 dead in shooting in Wilderswil, Bern PaddyG Swiss politics/news 2 03.11.2014 15:14
Cops nab German prof after boob job attack The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 23.11.2011 15:43
82 year old retiree dies 4 days after attack by cyclists jrspet Swiss politics/news 13 02.05.2011 20:46


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0