Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 18.07.2016, 17:40
eddiejc1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Derwood, MD USA
Posts: 1,005
Groaned at 22 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 684 Times in 372 Posts
eddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputation
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Castro, correct me if I'm wrong, but how is Hollande responsible for the Charlie Hebdo attacks which started this whole cycle?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank eddiejc1 for this useful post:
  #302  
Old 18.07.2016, 18:44
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,345
Groaned at 108 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 15,788 Times in 5,057 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
Castro, correct me if I'm wrong, but how is Hollande responsible for the Charlie Hebdo attacks which started this whole cycle?
Charlie Hebdo was a very obvious target, but the radicalisation of the individuals stretches back to the Middle East as the group that claimed the shootings was Al-Queda in the Arab Peninsula. From what we know of the Kouachi Brothers, they weren't at all religious or know much about the Prophet Mohammad (one didn't even fully know the difference between Roman Catholicism and Islam). So it doesn't make sense that they would suddenly feel an overwhelming outrage that their Prophet had been insulted, rather it was probably used as a tool by those that groomed them.

Quote:
It seemed at the time that Benyettou, the young guru figure by whom Kouachi was enthralled, used methods similar to those of a sect.

“He made him feel important, he listened to him, recognised him as an individual … Chérif Kouachi was fragile, looking for a family … he didn’t have a family he could turn to for support.”

At that point, the young Kouachi, known as Abou Issen in the group, didn’t seem structured in his thinking. “He couldn’t differentiate between Islam and Catholicism” and wasn’t well educated, said the source.

When he was arrested over the attempted flight to Syria and Iraq, Kouachi described himself to investigators as a “ghetto Muslim”, according to Le Monde.
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 18.07.2016, 20:35
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,373
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
Charlie Hebdo was a very obvious target, but the radicalisation of the individuals stretches back to the Middle East as the group that claimed the shootings was Al-Queda in the Arab Peninsula. From what we know of the Kouachi Brothers, they weren't at all religious or know much about the Prophet Mohammad (one didn't even fully know the difference between Roman Catholicism and Islam). So it doesn't make sense that they would suddenly feel an overwhelming outrage that their Prophet had been insulted, rather it was probably used as a tool by those that groomed them.
FWIW, there is a whole chain of people getting killed for drawing Mohammad cartoons. Charlie Hebdo is unfortunately not unique.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-timeline.html

Quote:
In January, gunmen attacked the offices of Charlie Hebdo, a French satirical magazine that has a controversial history of depicting Mohammad, and killed 12 people.
The next month, a gunman attacked a free speech forum in Copenhagen, Denmark, featuring cartoonist, Larks Vilks, who infuriated al Qaeda with his depictions of Mohammed.
In the United States, cartoonist Molly Norris is still in hiding, four years after she depicted the likeness of Mohammed on several items, and was deemed a "prime target" for execution by Islamic extremists.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank esto for this useful post:
  #304  
Old 18.07.2016, 23:05
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
I don't think the increase in terror attacks in France have to do with the foreign policy, but I guess it depends on what facts you choose to look at.

The number of Muslim refugees arriving in France has also tripled in the last few years and racial/ethnic tensions are only getting worse. French Jews have experienced attacks against them and don't feel as safe in France as they used to. You can consider these facts as well.

PS- Is Belgium military also bombing ISIS? No? Then why is Belgium suffering from Islamic Terrorism as well?

Belgium and France have a long history of felt integration.
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 18.07.2016, 23:29
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
The French could connect his family to his crime and send them back to Tunisia.
France does not punish familisa but culprits. The Police Judiciaire will make sure that the law is resprcted
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 18.07.2016, 23:35
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
FWIW, there is a whole chain of people getting killed for drawing Mohammad cartoons. Charlie Hebdo is unfortunately not unique.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-timeline.html

unique indeed, by extent and brutaliy


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Quote:
View Post
FWIW, there is a whole chain of people getting killed for drawing Mohammad cartoons. Charlie Hebdo is unfortunately not unique.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-timeline.html



chain of peple ? how many got killwd ?

Last edited by Wollishofener; 19.07.2016 at 10:51.
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 18.07.2016, 23:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
....From what we know of the Kouachi Brothers, they weren't at all religious or know much about the Prophet Mohammad (one didn't even fully know the difference between Roman Catholicism and Islam). So it doesn't make sense that they would suddenly feel an overwhelming outrage that their Prophet had been insulted, rather it was probably used as a tool by those that groomed them.
Why would any signs of religiosity needs to be proved other than what they finally did? They may have drank alcohol, took drugs, ate pork, not attend mosque, or what have you. Yet haven't they already committed the ultimate act of their religiosity by killing and be killed as martyrs?
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 18.07.2016, 23:38
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
Belgium and France have a long history of felt integration.


a long one of successful Integration involving millions of immigrsnts
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 18.07.2016, 23:53
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,373
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
a long one of successful Integration involving millions of immigrsnts
Oh right, like Maalbek and the Banlieue? Even the Muslim immigrants living there will tell you they are not happy. The bulk of politicians also seem to agree that dumping them in ghettos was a bad idea and are re-thinking how to handle migration.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank esto for this useful post:
  #310  
Old 19.07.2016, 00:01
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 513
Groaned at 186 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
Oh right, like Maalbek and the Banlieue? Even the Muslim immigrants living there will tell you they are not happy. The bulk of politicians also seem to agree that dumping them in ghettos was a bad idea and are re-thinking how to handle migration.
Eaten bread is soon forgotten... they begged to be let in and the left give them their chance....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank parnell for this useful post:
  #311  
Old 19.07.2016, 00:18
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
Oh right, like Maalbek and the Banlieue? Even the Muslim immigrants living there will tell you they are not happy. The bulk of politicians also seem to agree that dumping them in ghettos was a bad idea and are re-thinking how to handle migration.

negative examples do exist --- but many banlieues are succeding
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 19.07.2016, 01:55
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,639
Groaned at 409 Times in 353 Posts
Thanked 17,259 Times in 9,277 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
Why would any signs of religiosity needs to be proved other than what they finally did? They may have drank alcohol, took drugs, ate pork, not attend mosque, or what have you. Yet haven't they already committed the ultimate act of their religiosity by killing and be killed as martyrs?
No, the ultimate act is to forgive your enemies!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #313  
Old 19.07.2016, 08:28
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,273
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
No, the ultimate act is to forgive your enemies!
Hmn. I think it would be better if people would stop using their particular book/belief/disbelief as a sort of simple divining rod to determine who the good or bad guys are.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #314  
Old 19.07.2016, 09:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
Hmn. I think it would be better if people would stop using their particular book/belief/disbelief as a sort of simple divining rod to
determine who the good or bad guys are.

There is a recurring pattern of Muslim individuals in the West who do not live up to the lifestyle prescribed by Islam, and develop a crushing guilt/sin complex that they overcompensate for with a final act of martyrdom. They find their redemption in this final act and do not hear in time, or reject the message of forgiveness.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #315  
Old 19.07.2016, 09:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 3,191
Groaned at 105 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,948 Times in 1,620 Posts
i-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

I think the recurring patern is right here.

Two sides. Many opinions and a group of people who love the sound of their own voices.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank i-b-deborah for this useful post:
  #316  
Old 19.07.2016, 09:44
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,639
Groaned at 409 Times in 353 Posts
Thanked 17,259 Times in 9,277 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
There is a recurring pattern of Muslim individuals in the West who do not live up to the lifestyle prescribed by Islam, and develop a crushing guilt/sin complex that they overcompensate for with a final act of martyrdom. They find their redemption in this final act and do not hear in time, or reject the message of forgiveness.
Every religion has its nutters.

Do you ever hear Christians apologising for the abortion clinic attacks?
Eleven murders occurred in the United States as well as 41 bombings and 173 arsons.
Also similar incidents in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 19.07.2016, 09:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
Every religion has its nutters.

Do you ever hear Christians apologising for the abortion clinic attacks?
Eleven murders occurred in the United States as well as 41 bombings and 173 arsons.
Also similar incidents in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Why do people still make these risible comparisons? How can you in all seriousness stand there and compare a few nutty salad dodgers from America's Bible belt to 9/11, Nice, Charlie Hebdo, 7/7, Istanbul, Brussels, Madrid etc. etc. It's completely idiotic.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at for this post:
  #318  
Old 19.07.2016, 10:12
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,639
Groaned at 409 Times in 353 Posts
Thanked 17,259 Times in 9,277 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
Why do people still make these risible comparisons? How can you in all seriousness stand there and compare a few nutty salad dodgers from America's Bible belt to 9/11, Nice, Charlie Hebdo, 7/7, Istanbul, Brussels, Madrid etc. etc. It's completely idiotic.
"a few"?
Over 200 abortion clinic attacks in the US by Christians versus say half a dozen US attacks by people claiming to be Islamists.

Or we should ignore the Christian attacks because they failed at killing large numbers although that was their aim?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #319  
Old 19.07.2016, 10:21
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 513
Groaned at 186 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
It's completely idiotic.
Nail. Head.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank parnell for this useful post:
  #320  
Old 19.07.2016, 10:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Terrorist attack in Nice, France - truck runs over crowd

Quote:
View Post
Or we should ignore the Christian attacks because they failed at killing large numbers although that was their aim?
It isn't their aim to kill large numbers. Their aims are very specific. Unlike Islamic terrorism.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice please [nervous about train travel after the attack in France] seliza Daily life 30 24.08.2015 10:13
Breivik proposed terrorist attack on Switzerland YSR International affairs/politics 0 27.07.2011 13:39
Shops opening over Easter - in France? Carlos R Daily life 6 24.04.2011 08:24
Things to do in Nice France??? LaurenM General off-topic 2 11.03.2008 15:10


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0