Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #541  
Old 19.12.2016, 20:17
Dark Blue's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 379
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 411 Times in 242 Posts
Dark Blue has earned the respect of manyDark Blue has earned the respect of manyDark Blue has earned the respect of many
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
How has he benefited from antagonising the EU, Israel, Russia, Kurds, German comedians...? But he still does it.

Got to feel for the half of the country that also want him gone. Life could be about to get very difficult for them.
None of those really relate to this type of event ,does it.

We will what happens. I will be there tomorrow
Reply With Quote
  #542  
Old 19.12.2016, 20:21
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,566
Groaned at 472 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 19,372 Times in 10,227 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
How has he benefited from antagonising the EU, Israel, Russia, Kurds, German comedians...? But he still does it.

Got to feel for the half of the country that also want him gone. Life could be about to get very difficult for them.
He gets to run an underdeveloped, almost bankrupt dictatorship with delusions of leading the Islamic world in the future!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #543  
Old 19.12.2016, 20:22
Dark Blue's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 379
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 411 Times in 242 Posts
Dark Blue has earned the respect of manyDark Blue has earned the respect of manyDark Blue has earned the respect of many
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
He gets to run an underdeveloped, almost bankrupt dictatorship with delusions of leading the Islamic world in the future!
As long as he is the president,it wouldnt matter for him
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Dark Blue for this useful post:
  #544  
Old 20.12.2016, 01:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,638 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
Sounds like the prelude to world war 1. Unfortunately.
Don't know what to say, hope not.
Quote:
View Post
Would have been one if either Erodgan or Putin was attacked.

I hate Erdogan but I dont see how he benefits from this event.
I agree. But whatever it is...what an ugly, ugly day!
Reply With Quote
  #545  
Old 20.12.2016, 09:34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 324
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 193 Times in 133 Posts
Tassadar is considered knowledgeableTassadar is considered knowledgeableTassadar is considered knowledgeable
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

terrible incident.

I do not like conspiracy theories, altough I have been reading interesting things like;

No real muslim would be shouting allahu aqbar, with left index finger. It supposed to be right index finger.

Why is the assasin killed ? He was holding like 14 bullets, which 8 of them were used already.

Timing and planning of the incident is perfect.

Today a meeting was planned way before the incident, with Russia, Turkey and Iran
Reply With Quote
  #546  
Old 20.12.2016, 09:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,926
Groaned at 466 Times in 349 Posts
Thanked 11,846 Times in 6,166 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
Sounds like the prelude to world war 1. Unfortunately.
Seems highly unlikely; according to 20min.ch Putin and Erdogan jointly call this a provocation intended to disturb relations between the two countries.
Reply With Quote
  #547  
Old 20.12.2016, 09:41
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,580
Groaned at 117 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 16,648 Times in 5,298 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
No real muslim would be shouting allahu aqbar, with left index finger. It supposed to be right index finger.
He was holding a pistol with his right hand

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #548  
Old 20.12.2016, 09:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,926
Groaned at 466 Times in 349 Posts
Thanked 11,846 Times in 6,166 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
He was holding a pistol with his right hand
Well yes, but rather than pointing at the ground he could just as well have raised it straight up instead of his left. Isn't the left hand considered "dirty" by muslims?
Reply With Quote
  #549  
Old 20.12.2016, 09:59
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,618
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,425 Times in 7,458 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
No real muslim would be shouting allahu aqbar, with left index finger. It supposed to be right index finger.
You got me thinking .... with all these numerous muslems I met and dealt with may it be privately or as clients, I never heard one actually say allahu aqbar.
You get the inShalla so often that even I now use it on daily basis (getting the Europeans and the African Christians all flustered, ROFL) but the allahu aqbar seems to belong into the mosque for the regular muslems. I'll check that with a friend .....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #550  
Old 20.12.2016, 11:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,638 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
You get the inShalla so often that even I now use it on daily basis (getting the Europeans and the African Christians all flustered, ROFL) but the allahu aqbar seems to belong into the mosque for the regular muslems. I'll check that with a friend .....
It's something a Turk would say very often. I didn't check what it actually means, but in the contexts I heard it was something along the God bless/help...does it really cause a reaction?
Reply With Quote
  #551  
Old 20.12.2016, 12:17
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,618
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,425 Times in 7,458 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
It's something a Turk would say very often. I didn't check what it actually means, but in the contexts I heard it was something along the God bless/help...does it really cause a reaction?
You mean inshAllah? It means "so Gott will" (if God agrees). Specially Somalis and Arabs claim, they have to say that every time they agree to something as they will do it - if God agrees/let's them/doesn't interefere.

addition: I use it more in the sense of "we'll see"

It causes a reaction because non-muslems think I'm not supposed to use it. Not use any arab terms at all even.

Last edited by curley; 20.12.2016 at 12:20. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #552  
Old 20.12.2016, 12:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,638 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
It causes a reaction because non-muslems think I'm not supposed to use it. Not use any arab terms at all even.
Talking about open-mindedness and tolerance..
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #553  
Old 20.12.2016, 12:28
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,566
Groaned at 472 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 19,372 Times in 10,227 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Erdogan is discovering that it was easier to incite violence than to control it.
He called his people onto the streets to fight against the coup. Now there is a section of the population who feel empowered to use violence

Example, look at the attacks on HDP offices.
Reply With Quote
  #554  
Old 20.12.2016, 12:52
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,359
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
You mean inshAllah? It means "so Gott will" (if God agrees). Specially Somalis and Arabs claim, they have to say that every time they agree to something as they will do it - if God agrees/let's them/doesn't interefere.

addition: I use it more in the sense of "we'll see"

It causes a reaction because non-muslems think I'm not supposed to use it. Not use any arab terms at all even.
Yeah we use it all the time. Non Muslim who use it is also totally fine. It means just that, if God wishes. It is used as you said: we will see/only God knows/ as He wishes.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #555  
Old 20.12.2016, 15:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,983
Groaned at 69 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 5,074 Times in 1,802 Posts
crazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

it will be interesting to see the response from both Turkey and Russia. apparently there are already reports linking the alleged gunman to Gülen, which certainly raises one's radar.
Reply With Quote
  #556  
Old 20.12.2016, 16:08
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,359
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
it will be interesting to see the response from both Turkey and Russia. apparently there are already reports linking the alleged gunman to Gülen, which certainly raises one's radar.
Oooooooooof course it got to be Gülen!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #557  
Old 20.12.2016, 16:12
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,200
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
You mean inshAllah? It means "so Gott will" (if God agrees). Specially Somalis and Arabs claim, they have to say that every time they agree to something as they will do it - if God agrees/let's them/doesn't interefere.

addition: I use it more in the sense of "we'll see"

It causes a reaction because non-muslems think I'm not supposed to use it. Not use any arab terms at all even.
yes and if you are a muslim never salute in a plane your friend Jack/Jacques by "Hi Jack"
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
  #558  
Old 20.12.2016, 16:16
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,200
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
You got me thinking .... with all these numerous muslems I met and dealt with may it be privately or as clients, I never heard one actually say allahu aqbar.
You get the inShalla so often that even I now use it on daily basis (getting the Europeans and the African Christians all flustered, ROFL) but the allahu aqbar seems to belong into the mosque for the regular muslems. I'll check that with a friend .....
allahu akbar is said mainly during prayers or when you're informed that someone died. You may hear sometime "masha'allah" (i.e what God wanted) which is said to praise or show your joy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
  #559  
Old 20.12.2016, 16:22
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,618
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,425 Times in 7,458 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
allahu akbar is said mainly during prayers or when you're informed that someone died. You may hear sometime "masha'allah" (i.e what God wanted) which is said to praise or show your joy.
Oh yeah, I was often lucky to hear masha'allah
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #560  
Old 20.12.2016, 16:27
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,200
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
oh yeah, i was often lucky to hear masha'allah
..... good for you
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1-0 against Liverpool!What is happening? englishspeaker Football/sports 5 03.11.2014 00:58
what is this weird ceremony happening tonight?? Markarina Daily life 5 30.11.2013 23:24
What the heck is happening in Norway? sam ali Other/general 2 18.09.2013 09:50
What is happening with Cablecom webmail Rob TV/internet/telephone 0 04.04.2012 11:37
So what is happening there in Northern Ireland ? ? ? Sada General off-topic 1 11.03.2009 13:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0