Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #901  
Old 16.07.2017, 15:12
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,273
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
I assume he will not bother with formal and tedious trials before imposing death sentences; so far none of the jailed alleged coup plotters have faced trial
It may be a purely practical matter. Are there enough members of the judiciary arm left to hold the number of trials that would be required?
Reply With Quote
  #902  
Old 16.07.2017, 15:28
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,480
Groaned at 391 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 16,648 Times in 9,023 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
It may be a purely practical matter. Are there enough members of the judiciary arm left to hold the number of trials that would be required?
Probably not, but maybe they could scrape together enough judiciary to charge the relatively few leaders; assuming they have suitable evidence.

BTW, there was a Govt. announcement last Friday that another 7,000 public servants were fired
Reply With Quote
  #903  
Old 16.07.2017, 16:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,826
Groaned at 284 Times in 213 Posts
Thanked 17,431 Times in 6,128 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
It may be a purely practical matter. Are there enough members of the judiciary arm left to hold the number of trials that would be required?
If you think trials are required, you have no idea what is going on there.
Reply With Quote
  #904  
Old 16.07.2017, 16:48
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,273
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
If you think trials are required, you have no idea what is going on there.
If you think I was being even remotely serious, then you need to consider that sarcasm can be expressed without smilies.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #905  
Old 16.07.2017, 22:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,994
Groaned at 334 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 10,336 Times in 5,457 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
The issue from the NATO side is that they have an integrated central command structure and it is apparently very difficult to integrate non standard weapons into this.
So what. If it's too difficult or too risky then that's just that, leave the S400 out and be done with it.
Reply With Quote
  #906  
Old 18.07.2017, 00:32
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,480
Groaned at 391 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 16,648 Times in 9,023 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Turkey's state prosecutor on Monday asked a court to remand the local Amnesty International director and nine other human rights activists in custody pending trial for membership of a terrorist organization, opposition lawmaker Sezgin Tanrikulu said.

Source

Wonder if they will ever see a trial?
Reply With Quote
  #907  
Old 18.07.2017, 22:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Zürich
Posts: 901
Groaned at 84 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 1,192 Times in 581 Posts
YuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/tur...&NewsCatID=341

Turkey under the AKP / Dictator Erdogan should rename themselves into "not yet Saudi Arabia, but working hard to get there"..
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank YuropFlyer for this useful post:
  #908  
Old 20.07.2017, 17:49
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,480
Groaned at 391 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 16,648 Times in 9,023 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Change of German policy towards Turkey

Berlin has issued new travel warnings of risks in Turkey for German tourists, and Foreign Minister Gabriel said his government could no longer guarantee German corporate investment in Turkey after President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government accused several companies including Daimler and BASF of ties to the movement of his political enemy Fethullah Gülen.

The foreign office’s travel warning states that Turkey had breached its international commitments by denying consular access to German citizens on pre-trial arrest. Even people travelling to Turkey for short trips are therefore advised to register themselves with the consulate or embassy ahead of their trip.

Some leading political figures in Germany accuse Erdoğan of gathering “political hostages” in an attempt to force Germany to hand over two high-ranking Turkish generals involved in last year’s failed coup who have applied for asylum in Frankfurt.

Gabriel also said he could not envisage talks on expanding the customs union to Turkey and would talk to other EU leaders about reviewing pre-accession funds being offered to Turkey.

Source

While Turkey breaches its international commitments then the country is best avoided; even to the extent of not changing planes there.
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #909  
Old 21.07.2017, 10:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,994
Groaned at 334 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 10,336 Times in 5,457 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
Some leading political figures in Germany accuse Erdoğan of gathering “political hostages” in an attempt to force Germany to hand over two high-ranking Turkish generals involved in last year’s failed coup who have applied for asylum in Frankfurt.
In such a case Turkey would be even more eager to get its hands on Greek hostages as Greece has ruled twice that it won't deliver Turkish military personnel who had fled there (and requested asylum, if memory serves).

So, any info on Greek bargaining chips political hostages?
Reply With Quote
  #910  
Old 27.07.2017, 17:21
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,480
Groaned at 391 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 16,648 Times in 9,023 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

The Swiss foreign ministry has warned travellers to Turkey that they could face entry and exit bans, as well as imprisonment without court approval. People should also be aware that criticisms of Turkey on social media would not be tolerated, it said.

Source
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #911  
Old 03.08.2017, 15:04
Dark Blue's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 379
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 411 Times in 242 Posts
Dark Blue has earned the respect of manyDark Blue has earned the respect of manyDark Blue has earned the respect of many
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post

While Turkey breaches its international commitments then the country is best avoided; even to the extent of not changing planes there.
that is an exaggeration as per the overall tourist numbers.

As per the ministry of culture and tourism, 12,249,499 people have visited Turkey in the first half of 2017. Out of those, 1,246,744 were Germans and 3,489,393 were OECD European. In 2015, this last number was 7,621,036. You may find the detailed numbers here

So out of 1.2 million Germans, one was arrested. Surely, it is no coincidence. I am certain that Erdogan has a different objective with arresting this person. Even if he was a spy, there are other diplomatic ways to handle spies; like publicly announcing deportation,etc. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing what is really happening.

On the other hand, today Siemens has won the public tender to built 1GW of wind power.(link) They were partners with a government supported local company. So all what we see in the press is just bla bla for politics.

Last edited by Dark Blue; 03.08.2017 at 15:22. Reason: added siemens link
Reply With Quote
  #912  
Old 03.08.2017, 15:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
The Swiss foreign ministry has warned travellers to Turkey that they could face entry and exit bans, as well as imprisonment without court approval. People should also be aware that criticisms of Turkey on social media would not be tolerated, it said.

Source
Perhaps time to remind people too that your EHIC card is NOT valid in Turkey. A UK woman is in intensive care in Turkey after a massive stroke- and the family is complaining bitterly about this. No travel insurance- and expecting EHIC to cover long-term intensive care and repatriation and now asking for Government support.
Reply With Quote
  #913  
Old 04.08.2017, 00:28
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,480
Groaned at 391 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 16,648 Times in 9,023 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
that is an exaggeration as per the overall tourist numbers.

As per the ministry of culture and tourism, 12,249,499 people have visited Turkey in the first half of 2017. Out of those, 1,246,744 were Germans and 3,489,393 were OECD European. In 2015, this last number was 7,621,036. You may find the detailed numbers here

So out of 1.2 million Germans, one was arrested. Surely, it is no coincidence. I am certain that Erdogan has a different objective with arresting this person. Even if he was a spy, there are other diplomatic ways to handle spies; like publicly announcing deportation,etc. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing what is really happening.

On the other hand, today Siemens has won the public tender to built 1GW of wind power.(link) They were partners with a government supported local company. So all what we see in the press is just bla bla for politics.
Both the German and Swiss governments have warned their citizens against travekkig to Turkey! That is rather more than "all what we see in the press is just bla bla for politics".

You wrote "out of 1.2 million Germans, one was arrested"

According to the German government "the number of German nationals imprisoned in Turkey for political reasons since the attempted coup is 22."

Source

You might find it easier to convince us if you use real numbers?
Reply With Quote
  #914  
Old 04.08.2017, 00:48
Dark Blue's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 379
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 411 Times in 242 Posts
Dark Blue has earned the respect of manyDark Blue has earned the respect of manyDark Blue has earned the respect of many
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
Both the German and Swiss governments have warned their citizens against travekkig to Turkey! That is rather more than "all what we see in the press is just bla bla for politics".

You wrote "out of 1.2 million Germans, one was arrested"

According to the German government "the number of German nationals imprisoned in Turkey for political reasons since the attempted coup is 22."

Source

You might find it easier to convince us if you use real numbers?
I dont want to or need to convince anybody for anything. I posted the offical numbers only and franjly didnt check how many german citizens were in jail. BUT maybe you might want to check your numbers as well as DW says the total number is 9 not 22. The link mentions 2 are double citizens. I guess google will translate it.

https://www.google.ch/amp/amp.dw.com...ldi/a-39391544
I didnt say the arrest was right; what I said is that Erdogan must have something behind it.

I still say all this in media are bla bla for internal politics..erdogan and merkel uare using each other to gain on next elections.
Reply With Quote
  #915  
Old 04.08.2017, 00:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,496
Groaned at 62 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,622 Times in 1,971 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

The problem is not only were they arrested but they are often denied consular assistance (a violation of the Geneva convention - but at this point, it doesn't really matter anymore anyway).

I'd like to see the sh1t-hit-the-fan-level in the US if Germany had arrested roughly two dozen Americans on some national security BS and denied the embassy access to them for weeks (all the while not bothering to actually filing charges).

I'm sure the POTUS would have long tweeted a photo of him playing with the launch-code-cards.
Reply With Quote
  #916  
Old 04.08.2017, 00:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,496
Groaned at 62 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,622 Times in 1,971 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
I dont want to or need to convince anybody for anything. I posted the offical numbers only and franjly didnt check how many german citizens were in jail. BUT maybe you might want to check your numbers as well as DW says the total number is 9 not 22. The link mentions 2 are double citizens. I guess google will translate it.

https://www.google.ch/amp/amp.dw.com...ldi/a-39391544
I didnt say the arrest was right; what I said is that Erdogan must have something behind it.

I still say all this in media are bla bla for internal politics..erdogan and merkel uare using each other to gain on next elections.


This says it's 9:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutsc...a-1153779.html

This link says it's 44:

http://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/2017...erung-konsulat


But "only" 13 of them were incarcerated in 2016.


As Turkey doesn't bother publishing stats (I doubt they actually do a decent book-keeping about who they put into jail, given the sacking of thousands of state-employees), there's probably a bit of flux in that number all the time.


Yes, Erdogan basically did this for likes and giggles. He let it drop to Gabriel they could do a swap: Yücel for the Turkish officers who claimed asylum in Germany.
Fully knowing that there was no deal to be made from this.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
  #917  
Old 04.08.2017, 00:53
Dark Blue's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 379
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 411 Times in 242 Posts
Dark Blue has earned the respect of manyDark Blue has earned the respect of manyDark Blue has earned the respect of many
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Quote:
View Post
The problem is not only were they arrested but they are often denied consular assistance (a violation of the Geneva convention - but at this point, it doesn't really matter anymore anyway).

I'd like to see the sh1t-hit-the-fan-level in the US if Germany had arrested roughly two dozen Americans on some national security BS and denied the embassy access to them for weeks (all the while not bothering to actually filing charges).

I'm sure the POTUS would have long tweeted a photo of him playing with the launch-code-cards.
Erdogan and his government have proven themselves many times that they are not able to handle diplomacy or international compliance and they have no sense of any virtue.
Reply With Quote
  #918  
Old 05.08.2017, 00:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,994
Groaned at 334 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 10,336 Times in 5,457 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

I don't see what Merkel has to gain from this, she either alienates the local Turks or many others. If it ends well (how? Erdogan won't stop just because he likes her eyes) it's what's to expected, otherwise she loses out.

If anything it's a "can't win" situation for her.
Reply With Quote
  #919  
Old 21.08.2017, 22:36
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,480
Groaned at 391 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 16,648 Times in 9,023 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

Turkey may be using Interpol to hunt down political opponents

The accusation follows the arrest and release of a prominent Turkish-German writer.
A 60-year-old critic of the Erdogan government, Dogan Akhanli was born in Turkey but has German citizenship. He was detained Saturday while on holiday in Spain.

He was released Sunday after a court hearing, but on the condition that he remain in Madrid, according to his lawyer, Ilias Uyar.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said she was "very glad" that Akhanli has been released, but issued a warning to Turkey on the manner of the arrest.
''We must not allow the misuse of international organisations like Interpol," she said, marking a sharpening of her tone towards Ankara.

Source
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #920  
Old 21.08.2017, 22:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,496
Groaned at 62 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,622 Times in 1,971 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is happening in Turkey tonight?

This incident is very absurd.

As always, Erdogans goal isn't really to get the guy extradited to Turkey.

It's enough if he spends a night in jail, has to pay for a lawyer and has nothing but trouble.

Because, what this stunt really does is send a message to all the exiled opposition politicians and people who generally think about raising their voice and speaking out against Erdogan and AKP:

"See, I can still make your life quite miserable even if you never set a foot into Turkey again."
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1-0 against Liverpool!What is happening? englishspeaker Football/sports 5 03.11.2014 01:58
what is this weird ceremony happening tonight?? Markarina Daily life 5 01.12.2013 00:24
What the heck is happening in Norway? sam ali Other/general 2 18.09.2013 10:50
What is happening with Cablecom webmail Rob TV/internet/telephone 0 04.04.2012 12:37
So what is happening there in Northern Ireland ? ? ? Sada General off-topic 1 11.03.2009 14:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0