Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 93 26.50%
No 258 73.50%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #20941  
Old 08.01.2020, 15:38
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,065
Groaned at 899 Times in 502 Posts
Thanked 4,907 Times in 2,169 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
You misunderstood my post!

I posted that you stated you did not believe reports from Iranian State TV and then a couple of posts later you quoted their report that the plane was on fire.
An unusual lack of consistency by you.
I understood your post perfectly, you however have read too much into mine.

My information does not come from Iranian State TV.
  #20942  
Old 08.01.2020, 15:45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I understood your post perfectly, you however have read too much into mine.

My information does not come from Iranian State TV.
Which then begs the question...
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #20943  
Old 08.01.2020, 15:48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
People were questioning your reasoning, as you seemed to think a plane on fire most likely indicated being shot down.

Are you sticking with that theory?

Here's mine - the ballistic missiles aimed at US bases didn't accidentally hit a plane, as the chances of that are infinitesimal - way less than even Ticino Tom knowing a handful of 160+ IQ Trump supporters
Quote:
View Post
Go ahead and question my reasoning, just no need to do it in a sarcastic and derogatory way.

I am sticking with my theory. I think that nervous Iranian defence forces shot that plane out the sky believing it to be immediate US reprisals for the ballistic missile strikes in Iraq. Three year old 737s tend not to fall out of the sky due to "engine failure".
What was sarcastic or derogatory towards you there? The only person who had mild fun poked at them was Ticino Tom.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #20944  
Old 08.01.2020, 16:37
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,942
Groaned at 618 Times in 523 Posts
Thanked 22,162 Times in 11,631 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I understood your post perfectly, you however have read too much into mine.

My information does not come from Iranian State TV.
You have an ouija board perhaps?
  #20945  
Old 08.01.2020, 16:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 6,942
Groaned at 408 Times in 301 Posts
Thanked 9,624 Times in 4,503 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Depends. According to this, the crash was only a few minutes after take-off.

Aircraft do need sufficient speed and lift to keep flying. With a failure that soon after takeoff, one engine might not be enough to do the job to keep it in the air.
3Wishes. The certification process that all passenger aircraft complete requires that an aircraft, at a minimum, must be able to at least maintain altitude should an engine fail. This clearly did not happen.

As with all similar accidents we should resist speculating (ya, me too), until more facts are known.
The following 4 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #20946  
Old 08.01.2020, 16:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 8,805
Groaned at 324 Times in 248 Posts
Thanked 20,238 Times in 7,058 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Are we sure that it wasn't a 737 MAX?
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #20947  
Old 08.01.2020, 18:10
taduncombe's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Basel
Posts: 73
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 272 Times in 108 Posts
taduncombe has earned the respect of manytaduncombe has earned the respect of manytaduncombe has earned the respect of many
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

I just sat through Trump's speech. For him, it was subdued and rehearsed. Take a deep breath world; he's not starting a large war today!

He asked NATO to get involved, announced new sanctions (no specific details), lied about the previous Iran nuclear deal, provided no details on the imminent threat that apparently motivated the Soleimani assassination, no mention of the crashed airline (it's irrelevant to this conflict folks), and definitively stated that Iran will not get a nuclear weapon (not-so-veiled threat of future military action). Much of this is nonsense that won't come to pass, but I'm just happy he isn't pushing forward with immediate military action. It'll be interesting to see the details of the sanctions and if the US can get any allies on-board.

In practice, this venture gives Iran sympathy and political leverage in Iraq, which they'll try to use to get US troops out. I imagine they'll be more aggressive in non-direct efforts (e.g., cyberattacks, etc.) and non-responsive to negotiations. But as was always going to be the case when the Iran nuclear deal was abandoned - the real clash will come when Iran gets closer to developing a nuclear weapon.

Last edited by taduncombe; 08.01.2020 at 18:52.
This user would like to thank taduncombe for this useful post:
  #20948  
Old 08.01.2020, 18:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 6,942
Groaned at 408 Times in 301 Posts
Thanked 9,624 Times in 4,503 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Are we sure that it wasn't a 737 MAX?
No, it was a 4 year old 737-800. It does not have the software that brought down the two 737 Maxs. The flight profile is completely different from those two incidents.
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #20949  
Old 08.01.2020, 20:35
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Can't believe I keep thanking Omtatsat for a good few posts. I don't know what you did, Omi (put down the bottle?) but please keep it that way...
Yes. You should be careful. Thanking can be addictive
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #20950  
Old 08.01.2020, 20:42
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,942
Groaned at 618 Times in 523 Posts
Thanked 22,162 Times in 11,631 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I just sat through Trump's speech. For him, it was subdued and rehearsed. Take a deep breath world; he's not starting a large war today!

He asked NATO to get involved, announced new sanctions (no specific details), lied about the previous Iran nuclear deal, provided no details on the imminent threat that apparently motivated the Soleimani assassination, no mention of the crashed airline (it's irrelevant to this conflict folks), and definitively stated that Iran will not get a nuclear weapon (not-so-veiled threat of future military action). Much of this is nonsense that won't come to pass, but I'm just happy he isn't pushing forward with immediate military action. It'll be interesting to see the details of the sanctions and if the US can get any allies on-board.

In practice, this venture gives Iran sympathy and political leverage in Iraq, which they'll try to use to get US troops out. I imagine they'll be more aggressive in non-direct efforts (e.g., cyberattacks, etc.) and non-responsive to negotiations. But as was always going to be the case when the Iran nuclear deal was abandoned - the real clash will come when Iran gets closer to developing a nuclear weapon.
He also displayed his Obama obsession by spreading lies about his administration for most of his speech.
At least the draft dodger is not running into a new war.
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #20951  
Old 09.01.2020, 00:51
taduncombe's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Basel
Posts: 73
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 272 Times in 108 Posts
taduncombe has earned the respect of manytaduncombe has earned the respect of manytaduncombe has earned the respect of many
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Republican senator excoriates Trump administration officials over Iran briefing

Looks like the legally required congressional briefing to justify the assassination was a joke... even according to Republican Senators that were present.
Quote:
In an exchange with reporters at the Capitol on Wednesday, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) harshly criticized the administration’s classified national security briefing on Iran, calling it “probably the worst briefing I’ve seen at least on a military issue in the nine years I’ve served in the United States Senate.”

Lee said the message from the administration officials was that lawmakers need to be “good little boys and girls and run along and not debate this in public” — an instruction he described as “insane.”
...
“It’s un-American, it’s unconstitutional, and it’s wrong.”
  #20952  
Old 09.01.2020, 09:44
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Incredible amount of seething hatred for the POTUS on this thread.
Must be sticking in your throats that he already has the second term assured.
The following 3 users would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
  #20953  
Old 09.01.2020, 09:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Incredible amount of seething hatred for the POTUS on this thread.
Must be sticking in your throats that he already has the second term assured.
Always easier to brush it all off as "seething hatred", right? Do you actually see anything that defines "hatred" or are you just unable to counter any of the points questioning his reasoning and motives?
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #20954  
Old 09.01.2020, 10:06
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Always easier to brush it all off as "seething hatred", right? Do you actually see anything that defines "hatred" or are you just unable to counter any of the points questioning his reasoning and motives?

I don't care for Trump, or what he does, or what he says, and I'm certainly not going to get dragged into this pointless discussion which turns into a mobbing.


Just be happy that he's not a war monger like all that have gone before him.


And is there any viable alternative to Trump coming out of the opposition?


(and that is the sound of silence)


I notice it's the same braying donkeys on this thread that are over on the Brexit thread, of which there are many similarities.
The following 2 users would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
  #20955  
Old 09.01.2020, 10:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Incredible amount of seething hatred for the POTUS on this thread.
Must be sticking in your throats that he already has the second term assured.
It'd be fairly hard to muster up hatred for a simpleton who is clearly suffering from some form of dementia.

The hatred is reserved for the policies and their effects, I think.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #20956  
Old 09.01.2020, 10:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Just be happy that he's not a war monger like all that have gone before him.
I guess you've not been following his actions or words too closely over the last few days then.
  #20957  
Old 09.01.2020, 10:11
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I know several Trump fans who have IQs over 160.

Tom
At which level does it change from genius to insane?

Quote:
View Post
"dozens killed by Iran missile attack overnight on US base in Iraq" Iran State Television.

"all is well". Trump
Strange, the German news reported it was announced and there were no deaths.
  #20958  
Old 09.01.2020, 10:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I don't care for Trump, or what he does, or what he says, and I'm certainly not going to get dragged into this pointless discussion which turns into a mobbing.


Just be happy that he's not a war monger like all that have gone before him.


And is there any viable alternative to Trump coming out of the opposition?


(and that is the sound of silence)


I notice it's the same braying donkeys on this thread that are over on the Brexit thread, of which there are many similarities.
So the fact that he's managed, despite his best efforts, to not start a war and there's nobody yet in the running for the opposition makes him a viable candidate for the next POTUS?

Sorry to say but that's kind of lowered the bar by an embarrassing country mile.

Also, if you are going to chuck insults and accusations around perhaps you should look at yourself and basically all of your posts before delving into the subject of mobbing in others. You join the forum and all your posts are on the hot-button issues.
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #20959  
Old 09.01.2020, 10:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 8,805
Groaned at 324 Times in 248 Posts
Thanked 20,238 Times in 7,058 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
And is there any viable alternative to Trump coming out of the opposition?
That's exactly the US' problem.
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #20960  
Old 09.01.2020, 10:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,501
Groaned at 409 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,648 Times in 8,925 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I don't care for Trump, or what he does, or what he says, and I'm certainly not going to get dragged into this pointless discussion which turns into a mobbing.
.
Yes, because you are such a sensible poster yourself. See below

Quote:
View Post
I notice it's the same braying donkeys on this thread that are over on the Brexit thread, of which there are many similarities.
You reap what you sow....

Quote:
I guess you've not been following his actions or words too closely over the last few days then.
What? This is mobbing! How dare you?
The following 5 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (0 members and 7 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 162 06.11.2020 11:15
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0