Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 88 27.16%
No 236 72.84%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21641  
Old 12.03.2020, 23:15
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The really interesting thing is that gold is falling, too.
One theory is people are selling gold to cover losses elsewhere?
Reply With Quote
  #21642  
Old 13.03.2020, 08:51
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Grandpaw getting confused again?

Quote:
Donald J. Trump Retweeted
Businessweek@BW
This German biotech company has made kits with 4 million coronavirus tests since the outbreak began

A Berlin Biotech Company Got a Head Start on Coronavirus Tests
TIB has made kits with 4 million tests since the outbreak began.
link
10:06 PM · Mar 12, 2020
Why is he telling us that Germany did a much better job than the US in making test kits?

I assume he did not read the article? From the article:
"The U.S. has since changed the test and taken steps to expand availability, but the CDC has warned kits won’t be ready in the numbers promised by the Trump administration."

Anyway, really nice of him to support "mini Mike" Bloomberg by linking to one of his publications.
Reply With Quote
  #21643  
Old 13.03.2020, 09:06
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 14,696
Groaned at 265 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 17,021 Times in 8,809 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I guess my Swiss-blood-what ever would be easy to prove as well. Still don't want to be called Heidi.
I don't either but get it often. People know it makes me laugh.

Quote:
View Post
No, according to politically correct standards it's not because Heidi is blonde.
I think blondes get called Heidis. Period.

Quote:
View Post
I personally would not have called it (Pocahontas) racist (therefore Heidi neither). But it is bloody patronizing.
I find it hilarious, considering where I am from. Either Heidi or Greta. That is less hilarious.

Quote:
View Post
George Dubya Bush had a problem with a legasthenia, which is why he so often managed to garble statements when speaking off the cuff.

The comics and wisecracks had a lot of fun with that at the time. They totally misunderestimated him.

If one man's speech impediment is fair game, then why isn't that of the next?
And typos?

Back to the leaders, Putin used the virus chaos to make himself a president for 4 more years, without elections. Nobody seems to worry about it. It looks like it could be a life time thing, too.

What if Trump came up with the same?

Did Putin get Trump's blessing in this?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #21644  
Old 13.03.2020, 09:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,028
Groaned at 308 Times in 251 Posts
Thanked 12,739 Times in 6,661 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Back to the leaders, Putin used the virus chaos to make himself a president for 4 more years, without elections. Nobody seems to worry about it. It looks like it could be a life time thing, too.

What if Trump came up with the same?

Did Putin get Trump's blessing in this?
Give him some time.....

The nepotism is there. The whole family is set to make even more money than they already have. Changing laws and rules to his benefit might/could/will follow.....

But we never expected anything better from Putin or Russia.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #21645  
Old 13.03.2020, 09:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,028
Groaned at 308 Times in 251 Posts
Thanked 12,739 Times in 6,661 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I am definitely not buying the "stuttering" excuse for Biden's gaffes. He has noticeable lapses in cognitive recall/memory which many would love to ascribe to his "stuttering" affliction. But his gaffes/lack of recall reflect dementia in my view.

Watching his recent interviews/debates...Stuttering is the least of his issues. Witnessing my mother struggle with dementia, I sadly suspect at 77 years of age, Biden suffers as well.
I don't know what to say. I find them all very old for this job. Trump included.

Is there a reason for this gerontocracy in American politics? Voters' preferences maybe?

I refuse to believe there are no younger people, competent and eager, to run for presidential elections. I refuse.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #21646  
Old 13.03.2020, 09:38
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,025
Groaned at 92 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 1,046 Times in 540 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post

Back to the leaders, Putin used the virus chaos to make himself a president for 4 more years, without elections. Nobody seems to worry about it. It looks like it could be a life time thing, too.

What if Trump came up with the same?

Did Putin get Trump's blessing in this?
I dont think Trump would try such a thing but you never know with this guy. Still, it would never happen. The POTUS is temporary guest at the White House which in itself is a small organization full of staff that have been there since Nixon, Carter, Reagan etc, etc. Some of them are called part of the furniture. Secret Service have protocols for if such a thing were to happen. Douchebag arrested, show goes on without skipping a beat. Wont ever happen in the U.S.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank California Dreamer for this useful post:
  #21647  
Old 13.03.2020, 09:50
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 10,992
Groaned at 175 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 12,309 Times in 6,461 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Grandpaw getting confused again?


Why is he telling us that Germany did a much better job than the US in making test kits?

I assume he did not read the article? From the article:
"The U.S. has since changed the test and taken steps to expand availability, but the CDC has warned kits won’t be ready in the numbers promised by the Trump administration."

Anyway, really nice of him to support "mini Mike" Bloomberg by linking to one of his publications.
And then, Bloomberg reported January 30th, that is was Roche.

Quote:
View Post

I think blondes get called Heidis. Period. .....
Sorry, total BS. Heidi has brown hair. Always. And curls, btw. ROFL. (Her German friend in the wheel chair is blond).
How long do people have to live here to be able to distinguish Switzerland from Sweden, I wonder?
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #21648  
Old 13.03.2020, 09:57
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,584
Groaned at 252 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 16,920 Times in 6,951 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Back to the leaders, Putin used the virus chaos to make himself a president for 4 more years, without elections. Nobody seems to worry about it. It looks like it could be a life time thing, too.

What if Trump came up with the same?
Constitutionally impossible at the moment, and the procedure to alter the Constitution is crystal clear.

If Trump thinks he has the numbers (two-thirds of each of the House and Senate, plus three-quarters of the State legislatures*) to amend the 22nd Amendment, he could give it a go. But he would fail. He can't even muster half the popular vote.

(Also, with his diet and exercise regime, he'd be lucky to survive a whole second term.)


*There's a couple of other ways, but three-quarters of the States is a fixed requirement
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #21649  
Old 13.03.2020, 10:03
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,584
Groaned at 252 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 16,920 Times in 6,951 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, total BS. Heidi has brown hair. Always. And curls, btw. ROFL. (Her German friend in the wheel chair is blond).
How long do people have to live here to be able to distinguish Switzerland from Sweden, I wonder?
What happens when Japanese authors who write books on Hawaii turn to Swiss national treasures...

Reply With Quote
  #21650  
Old 13.03.2020, 10:19
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 10,992
Groaned at 175 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 12,309 Times in 6,461 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Constitutionally impossible at the moment, and the procedure to alter the Constitution is crystal clear.

If Trump thinks he has the numbers (two-thirds of each of the House and Senate, plus three-quarters of the State legislatures*) to amend the 22nd Amendment, he could give it a go. But he would fail. He can't even muster half the popular vote.

(Also, with his diet and exercise regime, he'd be lucky to survive a whole second term.)


*There's a couple of other ways, but three-quarters of the States is a fixed requirement
And then there was Fábio Wajngarten. Although it might be the hen and egg question. He might have picked up the virus from Trump.

Quote:
View Post
What happens when Japanese authors who write books on Hawaii turn to Swiss national treasures...

LOL, you said it yourself in your comment.

You know how it is. Just because the world is loaded with ignorant people, Switzerland will never become Sweden.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #21651  
Old 13.03.2020, 11:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,028
Groaned at 308 Times in 251 Posts
Thanked 12,739 Times in 6,661 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
One theory is people are selling gold to cover losses elsewhere?
Is it though? I expected gold will go up, not down. (I am a bit busy now and can't discuss more as to why etc)
Reply With Quote
  #21652  
Old 13.03.2020, 12:45
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Is it though? I expected gold will go up, not down. (I am a bit busy now and can't discuss more as to why etc)
Must be many people who bought shares on the margin and must now pay up to cover their losses.

Could be other explanations? Usually, in such times the gold price rises.

Meanwhile, the lack of coronavirus testing kits is an ongoing scandal. The US has completed 11,000 tests while little South Korea manages 10,000 per day.

Trump's chaotic Oval Office address last Wednesday that required multiple White House corrections afterward just made matters worse.
Reply With Quote
  #21653  
Old 13.03.2020, 13:56
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 10,992
Groaned at 175 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 12,309 Times in 6,461 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

From the last time I looked at gold (admittedly a while ago), it would have to drop quite a bit to become interesting again.
Reply With Quote
  #21654  
Old 13.03.2020, 14:19
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,584
Groaned at 252 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 16,920 Times in 6,951 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
From the last time I looked at gold (admittedly a while ago), it would have to drop quite a bit to become interesting again.
You're more of a platinum-and-diamonds kind of a girl?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #21655  
Old 13.03.2020, 14:56
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
It's fairly obvious. President Trump is solely responsible for the virus' outbreak.
It is turning that way.

Trump's management of the situation has so far been at best incompetent.

He managed to crash the stock market and possibly start a recession.

The lack of coronavirus testing kits is a disgrace and Trump's attempts to blame Obama are simply pathetic.

Trump's only claim to fame is his blocking of Chinese visitors although there is no evidence that this was a success. Compare the US infection rates with the neighbouring countries of Canada and Mexico which did not close their borders.
According to Worldometers site, infections /million
USA 5.5
Canada 4.2
Mexico 0.1

The current plan to block European flights is a fine example of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. The U.S. surpasses 1,700 confirmed or presumptive cases, while the death toll reaches 41 today. Likely due to the lack of test kits there are many more cases than identified.

The US has the virus! It is time to concentrate on stopping it from spreading.
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
  #21656  
Old 13.03.2020, 15:26
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Because they said it's a 'foreign virus' it's xenophobic?
Quote:
US Secretary of State Pompeo’s attempts to rebrand COVID-19 as “the Wuhan virus” or the “Wuhan coronavirus” are drawing a furious backlash from Chinese officials and semi-official pundits, who say the terms are xenophobic.
Source

Really the US should be bonding with China to work together to minimise the death rate instead of attacking them.
Reply With Quote
  #21657  
Old 13.03.2020, 21:11
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
President Trump on Friday declared a national emergency over the coronavirus, freeing up additional resources and funding as federal, state and local governments attempt to combat the rapidly spreading disease.
Does this mean it was not a Dem hoax after all?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #21658  
Old 13.03.2020, 21:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 2,587
Groaned at 107 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,462 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I don't know what to say. I find them all very old for this job. Trump included.

Is there a reason for this gerontocracy in American politics? Voters' preferences maybe?

I refuse to believe there are no younger people, competent and eager, to run for presidential elections. I refuse.
Everyone under 60 is too smart to expose themselves to the US media.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #21659  
Old 14.03.2020, 00:06
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,399
Groaned at 626 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 15,925 Times in 6,228 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
It is turning that way.

Trump's management of the situation has so far been at best incompetent.

He managed to crash the stock market and possibly start a recession.

The lack of coronavirus testing kits is a disgrace and Trump's attempts to blame Obama are simply pathetic.

Trump's only claim to fame is his blocking of Chinese visitors although there is no evidence that this was a success. Compare the US infection rates with the neighbouring countries of Canada and Mexico which did not close their borders.
According to Worldometers site, infections /million
USA 5.5
Canada 4.2
Mexico 0.1

The current plan to block European flights is a fine example of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. The U.S. surpasses 1,700 confirmed or presumptive cases, while the death toll reaches 41 today. Likely due to the lack of test kits there are many more cases than identified.

The US has the virus! It is time to concentrate on stopping it from spreading.
The U.S. has 10 times the population of Canada and if you compare the number of infected people you roughly get the same number 10 fold.
Look at the infected cases per 1 mio population and you see which governments completely failed to take adequate measures. Hint: Switzerland ranks 6th with 131.6 infected cases per 1 mio. people. The U.S. has 6.9 cases per 1 mio. people and Canada 4.7. It is harder to control the transmission of a pandemic virus in a large population spread over vast space. Canada has a relatively small population spread over a vast space. Switzerland has a small population spread over a small space. New York City has roughly the same population as Switzerland and they're dealing with 421 confirmed cases in the entire state (20 mio. people). That's what I call damage control.


https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...s-updates.html
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #21660  
Old 14.03.2020, 09:45
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The U.S. has 10 times the population of Canada and if you compare the number of infected people you roughly get the same number 10 fold.
Look at the infected cases per 1 mio population and you see which governments completely failed to take adequate measures. Hint: Switzerland ranks 6th with 131.6 infected cases per 1 mio. people. The U.S. has 6.9 cases per 1 mio. people and Canada 4.7. It is harder to control the transmission of a pandemic virus in a large population spread over vast space. Canada has a relatively small population spread over a vast space. Switzerland has a small population spread over a small space. New York City has roughly the same population as Switzerland and they're dealing with 421 confirmed cases in the entire state (20 mio. people). That's what I call damage control.


https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...s-updates.html
I am not sure you understand the meaning of "cases per 1 mio", the fact is that Canada has relatively fewer cases despite not closing the borders.
You are entitled to your opinion but there are no facts to support Trump's claim that closing the borders prevented many cases.

Canada does not have a relatively small population spread over a vast space. they nearly all live in a narrow strip along the US border, see population density map below.

Actually nobody knows how many cases are in NY city due to the lack of test kits, the mayor of NY complains daily about this.
Quote:
NY COVID-19 Cases Surge, Cuomo Says ‘Thousands’ May Be Sick
Bringing in Switzerland is whataboutery, it is on a different continent in totally other circumstances.

Name:  CanadaDensity.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  82.5 KB
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 159 09.10.2018 02:31
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0