Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 71 27.41%
No 188 72.59%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2161  
Old 16.01.2017, 15:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 6,180
Groaned at 208 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 7,761 Times in 4,052 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marton View Post
Here are some of them


He is certainly keeping number 6.
Cheater! #21 is a copy of #16 !
Reply With Quote
  #2162  
Old 16.01.2017, 15:19
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 8,364
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 12,799 Times in 5,986 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleydis View Post
Ok, but what's the point of saying that Hillary won the popular vote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz1983 View Post
There is no point. It's like complaining about the rules of a game after the game is over.
Basically what Loz says, it's a statistic to talk about. She did win more votes overall, but he won in the places where it mattered more.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 16.01.2017 at 16:30. Reason: fixed my own quote
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #2163  
Old 16.01.2017, 16:12
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 19,329
Groaned at 347 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 14,163 Times in 8,144 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

26 Democrat congress people are boycotting the inauguration. I suspect more will follow.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38636136
Reply With Quote
  #2164  
Old 16.01.2017, 16:23
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,991
Groaned at 31 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 4,752 Times in 2,153 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer View Post
26 Democrat congress people are boycotting the inauguration. I suspect more will follow.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38636136
Interesting topic--they are boycotting due to what Trump said about Lewis.
Lewis said: Trump is not a legitimate president-elect.
I would disagree
Trump said: Lewis is all talk, talk, talk - no action or results
I also disagree.
Trump said: Atlanta is in horrible shape, and falling apart, and crime infested.
I partially agree.
Overall I think it's kind of petty to boycott because of this.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chemmie for this useful post:
  #2165  
Old 16.01.2017, 16:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,680
Groaned at 68 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 6,200 Times in 2,895 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemmie View Post
Overall I think it's kind of petty to boycott because of this.
I don't see it as petty and it's their choice to make, obviously. What I see is a bunch of political representatives questioning how attending would sit with their personal integrity. I bet there were people who boycotted Obama's first inauguration...but I can't find any reference to this on Google.

Quote:
Illinois representative Luis Gutierrez was the first member of congress to say he would boycott the inauguration - announcing his decision in December."I could not look my wife, my daughters, or my grandson in the eye if I sat there and attended, as if everything that the candidate said about the women, the Latinos, the blacks, the Muslims, or any of those other things he said in those speeches and tweets, and that all of that is okay or erased from our collective memory," Mr Gutierrez told the House.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38636136
Reply With Quote
  #2166  
Old 16.01.2017, 16:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,642
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemmie View Post
Trump said: Atlanta is in horrible shape, and falling apart, and crime infested.
I partially agree.
Oh please, this statement has been thoroughly debunked in the last several days. There is nothing fact-based to qualify John Lewis' district as more crime-ridden or in worse shape than others. Although we can probably infer where Trump got that idea from.

But I can see why Trump doesn't care about the Atlanta vote, it's metropolitan area in the South with an actual diversified economy that isn't clamoring for orange savior to open the local factory again.
Reply With Quote
  #2167  
Old 16.01.2017, 16:48
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 24,452
Groaned at 1,385 Times in 1,073 Posts
Thanked 28,159 Times in 13,455 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

I wonder if this thread will keep going until Friday?

Meanwhile:



http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-38635518

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #2168  
Old 16.01.2017, 16:55
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,759
Groaned at 197 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 19,138 Times in 8,136 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemmie View Post
Trump said: Atlanta is in horrible shape, and falling apart, and crime infested.
I partially agree.
Atlanta has nice bits and ugly bits but I expect overall that it's no worse than other cities of comparable size.

I agree that it's petty to use that as an excuse to boycott his inauguration.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #2169  
Old 16.01.2017, 16:59
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,393
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemmie View Post
Trump said: Atlanta is in horrible shape, and falling apart, and crime infested.
I partially agree.

Trump didn't specify Atlanta at all, he broadly specified "inner-cities". Likely pointing to bastions of Democrats suffering high crime rates.

Atlanta is alright.

Somewhat unprofessional and immature, but I'll let their constituents decide.
Reply With Quote
  #2170  
Old 16.01.2017, 17:00
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,991
Groaned at 31 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 4,752 Times in 2,153 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkov View Post
Oh please, this statement has been thoroughly debunked in the last several days. There is nothing fact-based to qualify John Lewis' district as more crime-ridden or in worse shape than others. Although we can probably infer where Trump got that idea from.

But I can see why Trump doesn't care about the Atlanta vote, it's metropolitan area in the South with an actual diversified economy that isn't clamoring for orange savior to open the local factory again.
I really guess this comes down to how you define falling apart or crime ridden. Is it the worst? far from it! but it's definitely closer to the negative end of the spectrum.
Just as Lewis' comments about believing that Trump only won the election through working with the Russians to destroy Clinton's campaign---it is arguable.


Now to have a congressman to be exempt from any criticism because of a strong history of racial battles--for me this is a petty reason to boycott the ceremony.
Reply With Quote
  #2171  
Old 16.01.2017, 17:02
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,642
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos View Post
Trump didn't specify Atlanta at all, he broadly specified "inner-cities". Likely pointing to bastions of Democrats suffering high crime rates.

Atlanta is alright.

Somewhat unprofessional and immature, but I'll let their constituents decide.
That was the 15 January backpedal. His original 14 January tweet, which is still up:

"Congressman John Lewis should spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to mention crime infested) rather than falsely complaining about the election results."
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Russkov for this useful post:
  #2172  
Old 16.01.2017, 17:05
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,642
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemmie View Post
I really guess this comes down to how you define falling apart or crime ridden. Is it the worst? far from it! but it's definitely closer to the negative end of the spectrum.
Just as Lewis' comments about believing that Trump only won the election through working with the Russians to destroy Clinton's campaign---it is arguable.


Now to have a congressman to be exempt from any criticism because of a strong history of racial battles--for me this is a petty reason to boycott the ceremony.
Sure, everything is arguable. IMO boycotting the inauguration because Trump is a shitstain of a human being is reason enough.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Russkov for this useful post:
  #2173  
Old 16.01.2017, 17:11
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,759
Groaned at 197 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 19,138 Times in 8,136 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkov View Post
Sure, everything is arguable. IMO boycotting the inauguration because Trump is a shitstain of a human being is reason enough.
If somebody would say that honestly and up front I would take my hat off for them (and this although I disagree).

But hiding behind some constructed excuses is a bit cowardly, no?
Reply With Quote
  #2174  
Old 16.01.2017, 17:14
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,393
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkov View Post
That was the 15 January backpedal. His original 14 January tweet, which is still up:

"Congressman John Lewis should spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to mention crime infested) rather than falsely complaining about the election results."
Okay, thanks, in which case, bad call. I know the place. That would be around Interstate 20. There is a mixture of bad and great places there. That is right smack in the middle of the city.

Awful call on behalf of Trump, as well as Lewis. And they wonder why our country is divided. :roll eyes:
Reply With Quote
  #2175  
Old 16.01.2017, 17:16
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,393
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amogles View Post
If somebody would say that honestly and up front I would take my hat off for them (and this although I disagree).

But hiding behind some constructed excuses is a bit cowardly, no?
Fortunately, most people in the US choose not to be bitter and vindictive.
Reply With Quote
  #2176  
Old 16.01.2017, 17:19
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,991
Groaned at 31 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 4,752 Times in 2,153 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkov View Post
Sure, everything is arguable. IMO boycotting the inauguration because Trump is a shitstain of a human being is reason enough.
Fair enough, that's your opinion and probably the opinion of others as well.
Personally I've always found protest to be the lowest form of opinion.
For me, and hopefully for anyone else who has to work with him (aka congressmen), a better effort would be to respect the democratic process and find a middle ground to work together with those you despise and disagree with. Consensus.

I'm happy to see quite a few on trumps advisory who fit that description eg Elon Musk
Reply With Quote
  #2177  
Old 16.01.2017, 17:22
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,759
Groaned at 197 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 19,138 Times in 8,136 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos View Post
Fortunately, most people in the US choose not to be bitter and vindictive.
If you don't want to come across as vindictive, you don't need to give a reason for not coming. You could say you couldn't get a babysitter or had an important appointment. Or just not give any reason at all. People can interpret into that what they like but any vindicitiveness that may or may not come up didn't come from you.

Quibbling over small details (crime statistic of one city) just comes across as just that .. quibbling.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #2178  
Old 16.01.2017, 17:23
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,393
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Fortunately, we have a country where protest is a perfectly legitimate expression. I don't really mind it. In fact, it peeved me for the longest time that Americans were so complacent and did not protest enough.

Although they are directly responsible for how effective it is for their goals.
Reply With Quote
  #2179  
Old 16.01.2017, 17:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,642
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amogles View Post
If somebody would say that honestly and up front I would take my hat off for them (and this although I disagree).

But hiding behind some constructed excuses is a bit cowardly, no?
No Congressman is required to attend an inauguration, just like no presidential candidate is required to disclose his tax returns. The Russia connection allegations are very serious and if a member of Congress truly believes that where there's smoke, there's fire, I'd say it's more than reasonable to not consider him a legitimate President. If any of these allegation are substantiated in an investigation, Republicans will dump Trump like a sinking ship. Maybe John Lewis is just ahead of the curve.

My god, to think of the field day the Republican congress would have had with Obama if he had any scandals with an iota of the potential gravity that Trump does.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Russkov for this useful post:
  #2180  
Old 16.01.2017, 17:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,680
Groaned at 68 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 6,200 Times in 2,895 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemmie View Post
Now to have a congressman to be exempt from any criticism because of a strong history of racial battles--for me this is a petty reason to boycott the ceremony.
The boycotts began back in December, long before John Lewis announced his. Trump's reaction to that has been the last straw for some though it seems.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 159 09.10.2018 02:31
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0