Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 93 26.50%
No 258 73.50%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #23301  
Old 03.07.2020, 12:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,057
Groaned at 95 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 12,442 Times in 5,051 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

And no social distancing in Rushmore?!
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/30/p...rus/index.html
South Dakota Republican Gov. Kristi Noem, who worked with the President and the Department of Interior to make the event happen, said Monday that social distancing will not be enforced at the "large event," though masks will be provided.
"In South Dakota, we've told people to focus on personal responsibility. Every one of them has the opportunity to make a decision that they are comfortable with. So we will be having celebrations of American independence, we will have a large event July 3," she said during an appearance on Fox News.
"We told those folks that have concerns that they can stay home, but those who want to come and join us, we'll be giving out free face masks if they choose to wear one," she said. "But we won't be social distancing, we're asking them to come, be ready to celebrate, to enjoy the freedoms and the liberties that we have in this country."
This is scary.
The following 2 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #23302  
Old 03.07.2020, 12:46
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,094
Groaned at 510 Times in 433 Posts
Thanked 19,985 Times in 10,539 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
And no social distancing in Rushmore?!
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/30/p...rus/index.html
South Dakota Republican Gov. Kristi Noem, who worked with the President and the Department of Interior to make the event happen, said Monday that social distancing will not be enforced at the "large event," though masks will be provided.
"In South Dakota, we've told people to focus on personal responsibility. Every one of them has the opportunity to make a decision that they are comfortable with. So we will be having celebrations of American independence, we will have a large event July 3," she said during an appearance on Fox News.
"We told those folks that have concerns that they can stay home, but those who want to come and join us, we'll be giving out free face masks if they choose to wear one," she said. "But we won't be social distancing, we're asking them to come, be ready to celebrate, to enjoy the freedoms and the liberties that we have in this country."
This is scary.
They do not seem to care anymore.
The latest from John Hopkins University; yesterday, the US reported 52,291 new confirmed cases and 635 deaths. Every day a new record number of cases.
Name:  USCases03072020.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  70.1 KB
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #23303  
Old 03.07.2020, 14:02
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,207
Groaned at 88 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 19,221 Times in 8,515 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
They do not seem to care anymore.
Pretty much this. There are still many people who are concerned and taking precautions, but they are vastly outnumbered by people who do not care any more. It seems the attitude now is along the lines of "we'll all die someday so I'm going to go have fun".
  #23304  
Old 03.07.2020, 14:12
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,135
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
...... the attitude now is along the lines of "we'll all die someday so I'm going to go have fun".
An attitude I fully support.

While Corona parties with a chance to win if infected first sounds more like a Russian roulette for weaklings. I don't see the fun in either of them but each to their own.
  #23305  
Old 03.07.2020, 15:57
ennui's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 984
Groaned at 35 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,093 Posts
ennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Pretty much this. There are still many people who are concerned and taking precautions, but they are vastly outnumbered by people who do not care any more. It seems the attitude now is along the lines of "we'll all die someday so I'm going to go have fun".
It would be nice if we could just prevent people with the “devil may care” attitude from infecting unsuspecting others. Let them have their “fun” and keep their germs to themselves.
The following 3 users would like to thank ennui for this useful post:
  #23306  
Old 03.07.2020, 19:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,057
Groaned at 95 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 12,442 Times in 5,051 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
An attitude I fully support.

While Corona parties with a chance to win if infected first sounds more like a Russian roulette for weaklings. I don't see the fun in either of them but each to their own.
That's exactly it: infection never is "each to their own".

That is the central reason for all preventative measures: infection includes spreading "their own" to a random number of others.
The following 5 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #23307  
Old 03.07.2020, 22:34
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,901
Groaned at 2,389 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanked 38,849 Times in 18,312 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
It seems the attitude now is along the lines of "we'll all die someday so I'm going to go have fun".
And rightly so.

Tom
  #23308  
Old 04.07.2020, 00:04
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Interesting proposal for a third party candidate dubbed "The Dark Horse Duo" from Brett Weinstein. He basically advocates for a "mixed" party ticket comprised of a moderate democrat (Andrew Yang) and a moderate republican (William McRaven).

This is an excerpt from Joe Rogan's interview with Weinstein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-U4e7_Qso

And here is a more detailed interview discussing his proposed plan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptrrDfDGzqs

If Weinstein manages to pull this off, I know how I will be voting!

Last edited by terrifisch; 04.07.2020 at 19:28.
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #23309  
Old 04.07.2020, 01:18
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Interesting proposal for a third party candidate dubbed "The Day Horse Duo" from Brett Weinstein. He basically advocates for a "mixed" party ticket comprised of a moderate democrat (Andrew Yang) and a moderate republican (William McRaven).

This is an excerpt from Joe Rogan's interview with Weinstein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-U4e7_Qso

And here is a more detailed interview discussing his proposed plan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptrrDfDGzqs

If Weinstein manages to pull this off, I know how I will be voting!
Andrew Yang would be the wrong choice for such a ticket, IMO. He just doesn't have the appeal, outside of college-age kids.

It would be interested to see which party would haemorrhage votes more to that combined ticket. I suspect Republicans who could vote with a clear conscience might make up a large proportion of support for a Dem/Rep combined ticket.

Last edited by Guest; 04.07.2020 at 10:10.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #23310  
Old 04.07.2020, 01:45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Andrew Yang would be the wrong choice for such a ticket, IMO. He just doesn't have the appeal, outside of college-age kids.

It would be interested to see which parry would haemorrhage votes more to that combined ticket. I suspect Republicans who could vote with a clear conscience might make up a large proportion of support for a Dem/Rep combined ticket.
Especially if the ticket has a "moderate" team. Note that Bret Weinstein has identified as a liberal in the classical sense. The liberal ideology being spouted in the US these days is a far cry from true liberalism to which he identified (watch the full Rogan podcast interview for Weinstein's thoughts on this). Likewise, the hard right conservatives do not speak for those who traditionally espoused conservative values/views as well.

It will be interesting to see how and if this new ticket develops... Something in the US political system needs to change here; neither Trump nor Biden are worthy candidates in my view. And, as Weinstein mentions, theses are unprecedented times.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #23311  
Old 04.07.2020, 06:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,057
Groaned at 95 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 12,442 Times in 5,051 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Although I freely admit to knowing too little about Andrew Young, he does have in his favour - when compared to the current POTUS - that he can reply to a question asked of him by a journalist with properly constructed, coherent sentences in English, within which he can quote numbers and explain what he means by them, and he does this admirable trick without stumbling over his own tongue, mixing metaphors or losing the plot.
  #23312  
Old 04.07.2020, 10:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Although I freely admit to knowing too little about Andrew Young, he does have in his favour - when compared to the current POTUS - that he can reply to a question asked of him by a journalist with properly constructed, coherent sentences in English, within which he can quote numbers and explain what he means by them, and he does this admirable trick without stumbling over his own tongue, mixing metaphors or losing the plot.
... as can every other candidate apart from Biden and Trump. It almost seems like bumbling incompetence and incoherence are prerequisites for the highest office in the land, these days.

It's a shame that "Christian" values are so widely (if shallowly) held in the US—Pete Buttigieg would make a superb moderate-centrist candidate. And he's the most eloquent of the lot. He could do with a bit more experience, though; a Senate seat could be a good next step for him, although without googling, I would guess that Indiana senators have long been very red.

ETA: I just googled. Indiana has sent the odd Democrat to the Senate but by and large, it's a Republican state. The next election for the Senate is in 2022.

Last edited by Guest; 04.07.2020 at 10:28.
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #23313  
Old 04.07.2020, 15:33
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,207
Groaned at 88 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 19,221 Times in 8,515 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Interesting proposal for a third party candidate dubbed "The Day Horse Duo" from Brett Weinstein. He basically advocates for a "mixed" party ticket comprised of a moderate democrat (Andrew Yang) and a moderate republican (William McRaven).
It's not a totally new idea but I can understand the appeal. Ohio governor John Kasich (R) and Colorado governor John Hickenlooper (D) considered creating a unity ticket back in 2017.

The reasons why a unity ticket probably wouldn't work are still the same today though: https://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/25/p...020/index.html

I'm not a fan of the 2-party system, and in particular how the allocation of Electoral College votes essentially relegates any noteworthy 3rd party candidate to the role of spoiler for one side or the other. See Ross Perot as the spoiler for Rs in 1992 and 1996, and Ralph Nader as spoiler for the Ds in 2000, for example.
The following 2 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #23314  
Old 05.07.2020, 06:58
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,971
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

The Amis will be celebrating a second Independence Day on Tuesday, November 3, 2020 when Trump is unseated from his throne!
This user groans at omtatsat for this post:
  #23315  
Old 05.07.2020, 07:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 5,337
Groaned at 300 Times in 213 Posts
Thanked 7,290 Times in 3,423 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The Amis will be celebrating a second Independence Day on Tuesday, November 3, 2020 when Trump is unseated from his throne!
Don’t count your chickens ...
The following 2 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #23316  
Old 06.07.2020, 00:50
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,094
Groaned at 510 Times in 433 Posts
Thanked 19,985 Times in 10,539 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
New China Virus Cases up (because of massive testing), deaths are down, “low and steady”.
The Fake News Media should report this and also, that new job numbers are setting records!
WTF are “low and steady” deaths?

Donny is just digging a pit, the huge number of hospitalisations will sadly lead to more deaths.
  #23317  
Old 06.07.2020, 10:30
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,901
Groaned at 2,389 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanked 38,849 Times in 18,312 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The Amis will be celebrating a second Independence Day on Tuesday, November 3, 2020 when Trump is unseated from his throne!
Given the dearth of electable alternatives, I wouldn't bet on that, though Kanye West has thrown his hat into the ring.

And people complain about Melanija as FLOTUS, just immagine Kim Carcrashian as FLOTUS!

Tom
The following 4 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #23318  
Old 06.07.2020, 10:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,363
Groaned at 498 Times in 369 Posts
Thanked 12,456 Times in 6,464 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Given the dearth of electable alternatives, I wouldn't bet on that, though Kanye West has thrown his hat into the ring.

And people complain about Melanija as FLOTUS, just immagine Kim Carcrashian as FLOTUS!

Tom
Kanye?

The self-proclaimed "greatest living rockstar on the planet" who can't even hit the pitch?

I bet after this performance Kanye wished he'd never been born (the debacle starts ~55sec into the clip).
The following 3 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #23319  
Old 06.07.2020, 11:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,461
Groaned at 299 Times in 228 Posts
Thanked 19,487 Times in 6,783 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Given the dearth of electable alternatives, I wouldn't bet on that, though Kanye West has thrown his hat into the ring.

And people complain about Melanija as FLOTUS, just immagine Kim Carcrashian as FLOTUS!

Tom

The worst is that Kanye is just as qualified as the other two candidates
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #23320  
Old 06.07.2020, 11:58
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,094
Groaned at 510 Times in 433 Posts
Thanked 19,985 Times in 10,539 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The worst is that Kanye is just as qualified as the other two candidates
And over 30 years younger
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 12 (0 members and 12 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 162 06.11.2020 11:15
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0