Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 61 27.35%
No 162 72.65%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5241  
Old 24.02.2017, 16:07
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,298
Groaned at 48 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,766 Times in 1,188 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Without some aspects of multiculturalism in Switzerland, there would be very little diversity in food or music and no assimilation of English, for example, in daily life.
Sure. But multi-culturalism isn't a "good" or "bad" thing. It happens organically, with people moving (legally) between countries. Nothing to do with massive illegal immigration tho.
Reply With Quote
  #5242  
Old 24.02.2017, 16:08
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Ironically, everyone commenting on this forum is living in one.

It's nothing to do with left or right of the political landscape, Switzerland just manages to secure its borders better than most places through decent management.

Of course there are people that get through and yes, there are illegals and other immigrants that are in a grey area, not to mention a raft of asylum seekers but the management and processing of immigration makes the UK and the US look like the Keystone cops by comparison.

It's easy to blame the problem on one or the other side of politics to hide the highly evident but simple case of stupidity.

Unfortunately the king of stupid is currently sitting with his finger up his arse in the White House trying to figure out why his idiotic EOs are going up in smoke.
"Switzerland just manages to secure its borders better than most .." I would like to agree with you but Switzerland, like all the EU countries in Schengen, relies on the EU external border countries to secure the borders.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #5243  
Old 24.02.2017, 16:09
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Without some aspects of multiculturalism in Switzerland, there would be very little diversity in food or music and no assimilation of English, for example, in daily life.
Cultural diversity is good, and is not the root of the problem. The problem arises when you have pockets of sub-cultures that are then exploited by the left with identity politics. We have situations where the left tends to use this to divide instead of uniting a society. They prevent proper integration.
Reply With Quote
  #5244  
Old 24.02.2017, 16:14
StirB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,410
Groaned at 65 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,437 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Cultural diversity is good, and is not the root of the problem. The problem arises when you have pockets of sub-cultures that are then exploited by the left with identity politics. We have situations where the left tends to use this to divide instead of uniting a society. They prevent proper integration.
Notoriously left organisations, such as the KKK presumably.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #5245  
Old 24.02.2017, 16:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,038
Groaned at 445 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 23,990 Times in 10,889 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Sure. You can freely donate to charities, or volunteer time to help others, etc.
Inviting everyone from a poor country to come live in Europe is not the answer IMHO. And not really compassionate either, because you will never be able to bring them all here. The best, and most compassionate thing to do is to help rebuild their home countries.
and in the meantime what do you propose we do about the young kids starving and dying of cold in refugee camps all over? Serious question, your suggestions please.
Reply With Quote
  #5246  
Old 24.02.2017, 16:23
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,003
Groaned at 90 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,588 Times in 7,123 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Cultural diversity is good, and is not the root of the problem. The problem arises when you have pockets of sub-cultures that are then exploited by the left with identity politics. We have situations where the left tends to use this to divide instead of uniting a society. They prevent proper integration.
Yeah, what you need is to build awareness and launch a real right wing poster campaign to bring together all those different cultures in a big old hug fest, dontcha?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #5247  
Old 24.02.2017, 16:42
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

A group of 15 law professors nationwide has reportedly filed a professional misconduct complaint against White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, saying she "brings shame upon the legal profession."

The letter was filed with the office that handles misconduct by members of the Washington, D.C. bar, The Washington Post said Friday.
Conway was admitted in 1995.

Source

Could not happen to a nicer lady
Reply With Quote
  #5248  
Old 24.02.2017, 16:44
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,253
Groaned at 181 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 17,625 Times in 7,484 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
A group of 15 law professors nationwide has reportedly filed a professional misconduct complaint against White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, saying she "brings shame upon the legal profession."

The letter was filed with the office that handles misconduct by members of the Washington, D.C. bar, The Washington Post said Friday.
Conway was admitted in 1995.

Source

Could not happen to a nicer lady
So one bunch of lawyers is accusing another of bringing shame on the profession?

Pot, kettle, black?
Reply With Quote
  #5249  
Old 24.02.2017, 16:44
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,003
Groaned at 90 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,588 Times in 7,123 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
"Switzerland just manages to secure its borders better than most .." I would like to agree with you but Switzerland, like all the EU countries in Schengen, relies on the EU external border countries to secure the borders.
I think that's exactly the difference, though. Everyone talks about securing borders as if that's the be all and end all and will solve the problem. Switzerland makes it so you are pretty much forced to make yourself known to the authorities otherwise you can't get anywhere. No housing, no job, no healthcare, no schooling for your kids.

Basically, you can wander into the country disguised as a lump of cheese but it doesn't matter if you can't have access to anything when you get here.

OK, so there is an element which is surviving quite nicely without having to register with the local authority but the current system here means that is minimal compared to, say, the US or the UK where everyone suddenly starts losing their minds if they are expected to carry ID documents or register with the authorities.

No system is perfect but it is clear that purely tackling border security is pointless if it's a free-for-all once you get in.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #5250  
Old 24.02.2017, 16:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kt Zh
Posts: 5,348
Groaned at 26 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 7,743 Times in 3,360 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Cultural diversity is good, and is not the root of the problem. The problem arises when you have pockets of sub-cultures that are then exploited by the left with identity politics. We have situations where the left tends to use this to divide instead of uniting a society. They prevent proper integration.
i think you can stop with the right left nonsense. Forming ghettos of minority subcultures has been orchestrated by pretty much every majority group.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank edot for this useful post:
  #5251  
Old 24.02.2017, 17:07
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,253
Groaned at 181 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 17,625 Times in 7,484 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I think that's exactly the difference, though. Everyone talks about securing borders as if that's the be all and end all and will solve the problem. Switzerland makes it so you are pretty much forced to make yourself known to the authorities otherwise you can't get anywhere. No housing, no job, no healthcare, no schooling for your kids.

Basically, you can wander into the country disguised as a lump of cheese but it doesn't matter if you can't have access to anything when you get here.

OK, so there is an element which is surviving quite nicely without having to register with the local authority but the current system here means that is minimal compared to, say, the US or the UK where everyone suddenly starts losing their minds if they are expected to carry ID documents or register with the authorities.

No system is perfect but it is clear that purely tackling border security is pointless if it's a free-for-all once you get in.

Switzerland can only afford to have open borders because the neighbouring countries are not too different from Switzerland, and are also generally law abiding and peaceful, and because overall illigal immigration is relatively insignificant.

Nevertheless, the authorities do sometimes clamp down on illegality. They regularly raid building sites and brothels for example to clamp down on anybody working there without the necessary paperwork (and on the bosses who knowingly employ such people). Society as a whole is supportive of such clampdowns as they feel the same rules need to apply for everybody. This has nothing to do with xenophobia but just with civic sense.

If there were suddenly a far higher number of illegals and these were having a serious effect on certain sectors of the economy, I'm sure people would be supportive of there being more thorough actions, including protection of borders.
Reply With Quote
  #5252  
Old 24.02.2017, 17:14
parnell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 475
Groaned at 157 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,501 Times in 738 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Worth watching to the end...

  1. Censorship
  2. EF (srsly)
Reply With Quote
  #5253  
Old 24.02.2017, 17:15
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,003
Groaned at 90 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,588 Times in 7,123 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Switzerland can only afford to have open borders because the neighbouring countries are not too different from Switzerland, and are also generally law abiding and peaceful, and because overall illegal immigration is relatively insignificant.
The neighbouring countries are part of the issue, though, aren't they? All the bleating about Germany and France being "overrun" (is that the word they use, or "swarms" - I forget now) of illegal immigrants you would think they'd filter into Switzerland as it's as near as damn it but they don't because it's too full of red tape and has a functioning system, which makes it a hassle.

Quote:
View Post
Nevertheless, the authorities do sometimes clamp down on illegality. They regularly raid building sites and brothels for example to clamp down on anybody working there without the necessary paperwork (and on the bosses who knowingly employ such people). Society as a whole is supportive of such clampdowns as they feel the same rules need to apply for everybody. This has nothing to do with xenophobia but just with civic sense.
I said above that there is an element of illegal immigration here which is able to stay under the radar more or less but my point was that this is pretty small compared to other neighbouring countries.

Quote:
View Post
If there were suddenly a far higher number of illegals and these were having a serious effect on certain sectors of the economy, I'm sure people would be supportive of there being more thorough actions, including protection of borders.
Depends on your tolerances, though. Some people might indeed want Switzerland rid of none-Swiss and others might like the idea of mixing things up a bit.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #5254  
Old 24.02.2017, 17:40
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Facts about migration and crime in Sweden

Official statement here from the Swedish Government (in English)

You know the expression "talk to the organ grinder not the monkey!"

Sorry to double post but the topic is in more than one thread
Reply With Quote
  #5255  
Old 24.02.2017, 17:42
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Switzerland can only afford to have open borders because the neighbouring countries are not too different from Switzerland, and are also generally law abiding and peaceful, and because overall illigal immigration is relatively insignificant.

Nevertheless, the authorities do sometimes clamp down on illegality. They regularly raid building sites and brothels for example to clamp down on anybody working there without the necessary paperwork (and on the bosses who knowingly employ such people). Society as a whole is supportive of such clampdowns as they feel the same rules need to apply for everybody. This has nothing to do with xenophobia but just with civic sense.

If there were suddenly a far higher number of illegals and these were having a serious effect on certain sectors of the economy, I'm sure people would be supportive of there being more thorough actions, including protection of borders.
True, so far as I know the only Western country with a relatively high number of illegals is the US
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #5256  
Old 24.02.2017, 19:26
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,298
Groaned at 48 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,766 Times in 1,188 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
and in the meantime what do you propose we do about the young kids starving and dying of cold in refugee camps all over? Serious question, your suggestions please.
There are 8 billion people in the world, and half live in poverty.
Why is Europe successful and other parts of the world in an endless loop of war and poverty?
Are we responsible for saving the world?
Is the answer to bring the 4 billion poor people into Europe?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank esto for this useful post:
  #5257  
Old 24.02.2017, 20:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,038
Groaned at 445 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 23,990 Times in 10,889 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

I did ask for a clear answer- not another question.

What do we do NOW about the children refugees dying of cold of hunger NOW? Please, your practical suggestions.

Nt wanting to make this personal- but I have to ask- where are YOU from? Is Switzerland responsible for unemployment and poor conditions in other parts of the world - that brought many here, including on EF?
Reply With Quote
  #5258  
Old 24.02.2017, 20:09
JoeUK's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 537
Groaned at 22 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 724 Times in 381 Posts
JoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputation
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Good or bad he's expensive. The last one's state funded travel costs averaged Ca. 1 million per month and this one manages 10 million in one month
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JoeUK for this useful post:
  #5259  
Old 24.02.2017, 20:12
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: directly above center of earth
Posts: 1,268
Groaned at 140 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 3,382 Times in 1,344 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
There are 8 billion people in the world, and half live in poverty.
Why is Europe successful and other parts of the world in an endless loop of war and poverty?
Are we responsible for saving the world?
Is the answer to bring the 4 billion poor people into Europe?
Most of those other parts of the world were ravaged by European colonialism.

War and poverty are good agents of instability. So we can eat cheap bananas and drink cheap coffee, etc.

'Swiss' chocolate.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #5260  
Old 24.02.2017, 20:22
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 7,577
Groaned at 51 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 11,490 Times in 5,392 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
...Here is the "fascist" VP cleaning up a Jewish cemetery that was vandalized. Doesn't quite fit with the alt-left narrative, does it?

http://wgntv.com/2017/02/23/mike-pen...wish-cemetery/
I thought this was a disgusting piece of showmanship. He could have gone there, let the media take video and pics from afar showing his actions, and spoken quietly with the families of those whose graves were vandalized. Then he could have held a press conference later at the town hall or something.

To stand there on people's graves with a megaphone was just classless.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 13:51
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 145 29.11.2016 09:03
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 6 14.11.2016 21:29
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 12:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 17:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0