Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 68 27.53%
No 179 72.47%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5521  
Old 05.03.2017, 08:05
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,903
Groaned at 280 Times in 243 Posts
Thanked 12,471 Times in 6,847 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Great Saturday Night live again

Best quote "Granddad shuffled out of his room again and got on Twitter!"
Attached Thumbnails
will-trump-good-president-couchgate.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #5522  
Old 05.03.2017, 10:20
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,428
Groaned at 27 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 1,042 Times in 612 Posts
robBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputation
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

No Comment: http://www.euronews.com/2017/02/28/g...mp-and-erdogan
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #5523  
Old 05.03.2017, 10:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,436
Groaned at 469 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 24,368 Times in 11,086 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

In the meantime, would it not be fair for Trump to give proof of his allegations of his phones being tapped?
Reply With Quote
  #5524  
Old 05.03.2017, 11:15
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,533
Groaned at 105 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 19,980 Times in 7,679 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
In the meantime, would it not be fair for Trump to give proof of his allegations of his phones being tapped?
There's no need, is there? He'll let it just die away now because the story has served its purpose. Most likely completely fabricated, blasted out with his usual sweaty Twitter-fists and caused the usual media frenzy.

It's just so he can shoe-horn another idiotic policy in with nobody noticing.

The pattern is there but it's not a sustainable one, unless he comes up with more and more outlandish stuff. He'll have to up his game if he wants to keep hoodwinking the media while he sneaks and tweaks his orders and legislation. Maybe he's going to drop his trousers in the Oval office live on TV?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #5525  
Old 05.03.2017, 11:22
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,903
Groaned at 280 Times in 243 Posts
Thanked 12,471 Times in 6,847 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
There's no need, is there? He'll let it just die away now because the story has served its purpose. Most likely completely fabricated, blasted out with his usual sweaty Twitter-fists and caused the usual media frenzy.

It's just so he can shoe-horn another idiotic policy in with nobody noticing.

The pattern is there but it's not a sustainable one, unless he comes up with more and more outlandish stuff. He'll have to up his game if he wants to keep hoodwinking the media while he sneaks and tweaks his orders and legislation. Maybe he's going to drop his trousers in the Oval office live on TV?
Meanwhile the leader of the free world displays symptoms of delusion like many people of his age
Reply With Quote
  #5526  
Old 05.03.2017, 11:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,436
Groaned at 469 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 24,368 Times in 11,086 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Am married to a guy his age- no signs whatsoever pheeew.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #5527  
Old 05.03.2017, 11:54
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,903
Groaned at 280 Times in 243 Posts
Thanked 12,471 Times in 6,847 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
There's no need, is there? He'll let it just die away now because the story has served its purpose. Most likely completely fabricated, blasted out with his usual sweaty Twitter-fists and caused the usual media frenzy.

It's just so he can shoe-horn another idiotic policy in with nobody noticing.

The pattern is there but it's not a sustainable one, unless he comes up with more and more outlandish stuff. He'll have to up his game if he wants to keep hoodwinking the media while he sneaks and tweaks his orders and legislation. Maybe he's going to drop his trousers in the Oval office live on TV?
"It's just so he can shoe-horn another idiotic policy in with nobody noticing." Maybe so but it is hard to find examples.

My theory is he is trying to divert attention from the Russian story. The flaw in this tactic is he has chosen to make the Press into an enemy so as soon as things go quiet then they do recaps on the Russian thing
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #5528  
Old 05.03.2017, 12:05
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,533
Groaned at 105 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 19,980 Times in 7,679 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
"It's just so he can shoe-horn another idiotic policy in with nobody noticing." Maybe so but it is hard to find examples.

My theory is he is trying to divert attention from the Russian story. The flaw in this tactic is he has chosen to make the Press into an enemy so as soon as things go quiet then they do recaps on the Russian thing
Yes, you're right. It's unlikely he would get full legislation through without any kind of scrutiny (although I'm sure he would love to be able to, which is kind of revealing that he knows what he's doing is unpopular, otherwise why try to muddy the waters and hide it?).

But I agree he's only doing it to divert attention and maybe keep his fanboi base interested. Maybe they are holding out for the trouser drop in the Oval?

Either way, I believe the Obama-wire tapping thing will most likely fade away, or maybe he'll dredge it up another time he needs to create a smokescreen.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #5529  
Old 05.03.2017, 12:05
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,254
Groaned at 180 Times in 129 Posts
Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,137 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
In the meantime, would it not be fair for Trump to give proof of his allegations of his phones being tapped?
I doubt it was Obama specifically, but if all the allegations regarding Russia have a vague semblance of truth, I would be surprised if the CIA would not have been monitoring the business and political goings on in House Trump.
Reply With Quote
  #5530  
Old 05.03.2017, 13:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,572
Groaned at 66 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 6,029 Times in 2,811 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

He's at it again. Will someone please take his phone off him and tell him no more $3million holibobs to Florida until he learns to behave!

Quote:
Is it true the DNC would not allow the FBI access to check server or other equipment after learning it was hacked? Can that be possible?
Quote:
Who was it that secretly said to Russian President, "Tell Vladimir that after the election I'll have more flexibility?" @foxandfriends
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...51476401520640

I love the replies to the last question... "Kermit the Frog?" and "Is this multiple choice?"
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #5531  
Old 05.03.2017, 14:30
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,903
Groaned at 280 Times in 243 Posts
Thanked 12,471 Times in 6,847 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
He's at it again. Will someone please take his phone off him and tell him no more $3million holibobs to Florida until he learns to behave!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...51476401520640

I love the replies to the last question... "Kermit the Frog?" and "Is this multiple choice?"
Reply I liked for both content and style;
"No one talked to Russia except my Campaign Manager, National Security Advisor, Attorney General and like 11 other guys. NO ONE"
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #5532  
Old 05.03.2017, 15:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 5,892
Groaned at 195 Times in 166 Posts
Thanked 7,404 Times in 3,852 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Am married to a guy his age- no signs whatsoever pheeew.
What if you both are affected?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #5533  
Old 05.03.2017, 17:00
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 19,130
Groaned at 338 Times in 261 Posts
Thanked 14,024 Times in 8,062 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Like the Democrats new nickname for Trump.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi said: "The Deflector-in-Chief is at it again."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39172719
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #5534  
Old 05.03.2017, 17:07
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,903
Groaned at 280 Times in 243 Posts
Thanked 12,471 Times in 6,847 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
"It's just so he can shoe-horn another idiotic policy in with nobody noticing." Maybe so but it is hard to find examples.

My theory is he is trying to divert attention from the Russian story. The flaw in this tactic is he has chosen to make the Press into an enemy so as soon as things go quiet then they do recaps on the Russian thing
As forecast, a good recap in CNN today about Trump's team and Russian contacts

Source
Reply With Quote
  #5535  
Old 05.03.2017, 17:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 5,892
Groaned at 195 Times in 166 Posts
Thanked 7,404 Times in 3,852 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I doubt it was Obama specifically, but if all the allegations regarding Russia have a vague semblance of truth, I would be surprised if the CIA would not have been monitoring the business and political goings on in House Trump.
The Guardian reports BO spokesman Ken Lewis saying Trump's allegations "simply false". "As part of that practice, neither President Obama nor any White House official ever ordered surveillance on any US citizen. Any suggestion otherwise is simply false."

Ben Rhodes, BO's former security advisor, reportedly tweeted
"No president can order a wiretap. Those restrictions were put in place to protect citizens from people like you."

This doesn't rule out wiretapping though. Could have been ordered by the DoJ for instance.

What if the DoJ or some agency (NSA for instance) were surveilling the Russian ambassador and noticed the significant number of contacts by the Trump campaign and had them wiretapped? Wouldn't be unplausible, wouldn't it?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #5536  
Old 05.03.2017, 17:30
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,903
Groaned at 280 Times in 243 Posts
Thanked 12,471 Times in 6,847 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The Guardian reports BO spokesman Ken Lewis saying Trump's allegations "simply false". "As part of that practice, neither President Obama nor any White House official ever ordered surveillance on any US citizen. Any suggestion otherwise is simply false."

Ben Rhodes, BO's former security advisor, reportedly tweeted
"No president can order a wiretap. Those restrictions were put in place to protect citizens from people like you."

This doesn't rule out wiretapping though. Could have been ordered by the DoJ for instance.

What if the DoJ or some agency (NSA for instance) were surveilling the Russian ambassador and noticed the significant number of contacts by the Trump campaign and had them wiretapped? Wouldn't be unplausible, wouldn't it?
So far as I understand the situation from multiple leaks by Snowden and Wikileaks both NSA and GCHQ routinely monitored most/all telephone conversations.
Now NSA need FISC warrants in the US; I would assume they have such warrants for interesting sources like the Russian embassy.

A couple of years ago Theresa May revealed MI5 and GCHQ have been secretly scooping up the telephone and email records of the British public for almost 15 years.
They need warrants for UK but nothing stopping them copying phone calls in other countries and sharing the results with the US and other intelligence agencies.
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
  #5537  
Old 05.03.2017, 17:50
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn, USA
Posts: 103
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 88 Times in 33 Posts
BKinTheHouse has earned some respectBKinTheHouse has earned some respect
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

For those disturbed by Team Trump's coziness with the Russians, how do you feel about Switzerland's relationship with Russia?

Unlike EU members, Switzerland did not impose sanctions on Russia. However, it was very kind of them to promise not to use Swiss territory to circumvent the sanctions.

Back in January, the Swiss Economics Minister Johann Schneider-Ammann, told several newspapers that he hopes the sanctions will come to an end soon and was looking forward to discussing Russian sanctions with Trump.

Is anyone is Switzerland protesting that guy?
Reply With Quote
  #5538  
Old 05.03.2017, 17:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 701
Groaned at 106 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 657 Times in 325 Posts
Noth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputation
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quite frankly, when Trump won the nomination, I imagine half the countries in the world must have come up with plans to tap Trump Tower, even more than they would to any main presidential candidate, since this one was such an unknown to them.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Noth for this useful post:
  #5539  
Old 05.03.2017, 18:09
Swisstree's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hants/ZH
Posts: 2,446
Groaned at 37 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 5,565 Times in 1,859 Posts
Swisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Quite frankly, when Trump won the nomination, I imagine half the countries in the world must have come up with plans to tap Trump Tower, even more than they would to any main presidential candidate, since this one was such an unknown to them.
I would've thought everyone listens to everyone anyway.. pretty standard since the J Edgar Hoover days.
You would think Trump would be more incensed if no one was tapping into his conversations..


I love this pic so very much, I want to frame it and hang it on my wall

will-trump-good-president-395560.jpg
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Swisstree for this useful post:
  #5540  
Old 05.03.2017, 18:16
FrankZappa's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France, near Geneva
Posts: 807
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,518 Times in 629 Posts
FrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Wired explains that Presidents cannot ask for wiretaps and so if Trump Tower was tapped, then a judge decided that there were good grounds to do so. Trump just might regret bringing this up.

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/feds-w...CNDID=44876673
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank FrankZappa for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 158 16.07.2018 15:58
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0