Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 61 27.35%
No 162 72.65%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6141  
Old 21.03.2017, 14:50
StirB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,410
Groaned at 65 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,437 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
POV is also a term used to classify a pornographic movie in which the filming is done by one of the actors!
Pretty sure it is any sort of film from one actor's viewpoint, but as always, thanks for sharing your expertise
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #6142  
Old 21.03.2017, 14:54
kriss kross's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: BE
Posts: 204
Groaned at 98 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 1,659 Times in 785 Posts
kriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputation
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Nor does it give anyone the right to judge him as "snobby elite" based on the fact that part of his education was, for want of a better word, "privileged"
He admitted himself that "public education system in the US is a disaster and while there are some excellent private schools and colleges, those benefit a mere fraction of the population, mostly those who can afford it"

He then informed us that he was privileged enough to attend "exclusive boarding schools" and meanwhile disparaged all the "mouthbreathers" who weren't so lucky to receive such an exclusive education.

That's why I called him out for his snobby elitism. Tough titty.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kriss kross for this useful post:
  #6143  
Old 21.03.2017, 14:54
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,253
Groaned at 181 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 17,625 Times in 7,484 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
POV is also a term used to classify a pornographic movie in which the filming is done by one of the actors!
Quote:
View Post
Pretty sure it is any sort of film from one actor's viewpoint, but as always, thanks for sharing your expertise
Hey, it ain't Friday yet.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #6144  
Old 21.03.2017, 14:57
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,131
Groaned at 42 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 11,553 Times in 4,572 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
He admitted himself that "public education system in the US is a disaster and while there are some excellent private schools and colleges, those benefit a mere fraction of the population, mostly those who can afford it"

He then informed us that he was privileged enough to attend "exclusive boarding schools" and meanwhile disparaged all the "mouthbreathers" who weren't so lucky to receive such an exclusive education.

That's why I called him out for his snobby elitism.
I must have missed him using "mouthbreathers", and apparently so did the search function.

Care to enlighten us all so we can book our tickets for the witchburning?
Reply With Quote
  #6145  
Old 21.03.2017, 15:00
kriss kross's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: BE
Posts: 204
Groaned at 98 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 1,659 Times in 785 Posts
kriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputation
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Sure.

Quote:
View Post
Those bloody angry and uneducated deplorables!

When will those plebs realize that we know what's best for them?!
Quote:
View Post
Basically, that's the gist of it but more like "When will this, the least educated and most bigoted voting block in modern times, admit they've been had by an incompetent liar who's milking the presidency for all its worth?" but as long as they find solace and support in internet echo chambers of like minded mouth breathers who consider ignorance a virtue we'll probably be waiting a while.
Reply With Quote
  #6146  
Old 21.03.2017, 15:14
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,131
Groaned at 42 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 11,553 Times in 4,572 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Sure.
First, his term was "mouth breathers". You may think it pedantic, but it is more practical than that. If you quote someone else's argument, then getting the quote right makes it easier to follow what the hell is going on.

Second, Principia was doing something other than sneering at people who haven't been to an elite university.

But if you think it's ok to misrepresent what someone else says to make your straw man attack simpler, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

No elite Uni here. Just trying to be careful to differentiate between sound discussion, and a sound bite spinning wheel.
__________________
If everyone you know agrees with you consistently, they are either not listening, or not capable of critical thought.

Last edited by JagWaugh; 21.03.2017 at 15:35. Reason: missed a word
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #6147  
Old 21.03.2017, 15:34
VFR on top's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 903
Groaned at 28 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,955 Times in 736 Posts
VFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
He admitted himself that "public education system in the US is a disaster and while there are some excellent private schools and colleges, those benefit a mere fraction of the population, mostly those who can afford it"

He then informed us that he was privileged enough to attend "exclusive boarding schools" and meanwhile disparaged all the "mouthbreathers" who weren't so lucky to receive such an exclusive education.

That's why I called him out for his snobby elitism. Tough titty.
Maybe he worked his ass off and got a scholarship.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank VFR on top for this useful post:
  #6148  
Old 21.03.2017, 16:17
kriss kross's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: BE
Posts: 204
Groaned at 98 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 1,659 Times in 785 Posts
kriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputation
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
First, his term was "mouth breathers". You may think it pedantic, but it is more practical than that. If you quote someone else's argument, then getting the quote right makes it easier to follow what the hell is going on.

Second, Principia was doing something other than sneering at people who haven't been to an elite university.

But if you think it's ok to misrepresent what someone else says to make your straw man attack simpler, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

No elite Uni here. Just trying to be careful to differentiate between sound discussion, and a sound bite spinning wheel.

Did you miss the part, after he knocked their education, where I sarcastically said "When will those plebs realize that we know what's best for them?" and he began his reply with "Basically, that's the gist of it"

I consider that elitism but we can agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #6149  
Old 21.03.2017, 16:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 5,156
Groaned at 160 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 6,572 Times in 3,375 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Of course, it is a bit more common in Switzerland for kids to be going to private school
In reality private schools are rarely used by the locals. It's rather errorprone to extrapolate from EF or expat circles to the locals, assuming that's what you did.

In 2009/10 5.4% of all pupils in Kt. Zürich in the mandatory years went to private schools (4.8% in 1995).

It's good to see that, contrary to those foreigners who're utterly ignorant on US culture, you know the country you live in inside out.

Last edited by Urs Max; 21.03.2017 at 16:55.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #6150  
Old 21.03.2017, 16:49
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,131
Groaned at 42 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 11,553 Times in 4,572 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Did you miss the part, after he knocked their education, where I sarcastically said "When will those plebs realize that we know what's best for them?" and he began his reply with "Basically, that's the gist of it"

I consider that elitism but we can agree to disagree.
I don't want to put words in Principia's mouth, but I think the point he was trying to make was not that thinking should be left to the elite who know better, but rather that a great many have been misled into thinking that Trump has saved them from an evil elite.

Trump doesn't have some magic wand which will suddenly fill the rust belt with blue collar jobs, no matter how loud the crowd chants "Down with them high highfalutin college boys!".

He may have displaced an elite which was out of control, it remains to be seen what kind of elite he uses as a substitute.
__________________
If everyone you know agrees with you consistently, they are either not listening, or not capable of critical thought.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #6151  
Old 21.03.2017, 17:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,038
Groaned at 445 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 23,990 Times in 10,889 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Trevor Noah- just love this guy (maybe because like many in our family, a mix of ZA and Swiss):

https://www.facebook.com/thedailysho...5172573226800/
Reply With Quote
  #6152  
Old 21.03.2017, 17:40
kriss kross's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: BE
Posts: 204
Groaned at 98 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 1,659 Times in 785 Posts
kriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputation
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I don't want to put words in Principia's mouth, but I think the point he was trying to make was not that thinking should be left to the elite who know better, but rather that a great many have been misled into thinking that Trump has saved them from an evil elite.
You don't have to put words in his mouth as he's already written what he thought:

"When will those plebs realize that we know what's best for them''
"Basically, that's the gist of it"

If I read it correctly he is saying that we know what is better for those uneducated Trump supporters than they know themselves. Pretty sure that's elitism.
Reply With Quote
  #6153  
Old 21.03.2017, 17:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,384
Groaned at 221 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 7,920 Times in 4,276 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Huh?!
I think you're being a tad naive there. If you scratch the surface, many, if not most of us have lots of friends and family in the US that we converse with on a regular basis.
...and unfortunately almost all of them have the same impressions on the education system, Trump etc as Principia Discordia.
Reply With Quote
  #6154  
Old 21.03.2017, 17:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,038
Groaned at 445 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 23,990 Times in 10,889 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
In reality private schools are rarely used by the locals. It's rather errorprone to extrapolate from EF or expat circles to the locals, assuming that's what you did.

In 2009/10 5.4% of all pupils in Kt. Zürich in the mandatory years went to private schools (4.8% in 1995).

It's good to see that, contrary to those foreigners who're utterly ignorant on US culture, you know the country you live in inside out.
Wow Chemmie- where do you live- in a Zurich expat bubble? In the 11 villages that surround me, there is not a single kid who goes to private school. Even in the local bigger town- a private school closed a couple of years ago as they couldn't get students. The % of kids who go to private schools there is tiny, and almost exclusively expats who work for a couple of international firms- often with limited contracts and intentions to return to UK or US. Some go to alternaive schools like Montessori or Steiner for a few years. When I was a kid here, I had 2 friends who went to private Catholic schools in Fribourg or Valais - because parents couldn't cope with them, and out of sight, out of mind (and who had plenty of money) - for both it was a disaster. Of all the professionals here, be they doctors or lawyers, or business owners, some quite large and with huge budgets- not a single of their kids go to private school, not one.
Reply With Quote
  #6155  
Old 21.03.2017, 17:46
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,131
Groaned at 42 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 11,553 Times in 4,572 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
You don't have to put words in his mouth as he's already written what he thought:

"When will those plebs realize that we know what's best for them''
"Basically, that's the gist of it"

Is he not saying that we know what is better for those uneducated Trump supporters than they know themselves?

If he is, i'm pretty sure that's known as elitism.
@Principia???

(I understood him as saying that the uneducated Trump supporters aren't smart enough to figure out that they have been duped. That is, to my mind, not elitism.)
Reply With Quote
  #6156  
Old 21.03.2017, 17:52
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,891
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 4,574 Times in 2,079 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Wow Chemmie- where do you live- in a Zurich expat bubble? In the 11 villages that surround me, there is not a single kid who goes to private school. Even in the local bigger town- a private school closed a couple of years ago as they couldn't get students. The % of kids who go to private schools there is tiny, and almost exclusively expats who work for a couple of international firms- often with limited contracts and intentions to return to UK or US. Some go to alternaive schools like Montessori or Steiner for a few years. When I was a kid here, I had 2 friends who went to private Catholic schools in Fribourg or Valais - because parents couldn't cope with them, and out of sight, out of mind (and who had plenty of money) - for both it was a disaster.
By all means I was never implying (or stating) that more Swiss people go to private school. It was that I personally have come across a far greater amount of instances living here. And yes the Zurich expat bubble is a major contributor to that--(not really shocking or noteworthy to me, but apparently to others this needs to be emphasized).
In 30 years living in the most populated (and arguably wealthiest) region of Canada, I only came across a few cases of Private schooled persons---and oddly enough, they went to private school in Switzerland. Swiss private schools are fairly well known worldwide, and judging by the number of schools, vs the landsize and population of Switzerland--it's definitely notable that one will bump into more instances here (regardless if they are kids of expats or from Cunter GR )
__________________
"You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com" -Benjamin Franklin
Reply With Quote
  #6157  
Old 21.03.2017, 17:52
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,584
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,611 Times in 6,343 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
@Principia???

(I understood him as saying that the uneducated Trump supporters aren't smart enough to figure out that they have been duped. That is, to my mind, not elitism.)
Like those Trump supporters who also only see what they want to see
Reply With Quote
  #6158  
Old 21.03.2017, 17:54
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 11,210
Groaned at 122 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 13,399 Times in 6,656 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Nor does it give anyone the right to judge him as "snobby elite" based on the fact that part of his education was, for want of a better word, "privileged".

Nobody actually said that his was the only credible opinion, either, so stop gaslighting all the posts that you don't happen to agree with.
When people say that somebody is an authority on an issue because he went through all the different schools, it is not me who exaggerates. I reminded those who also have other opinions that there is space for all. In fact it is opposite of "gaslighting" as you put it, in exaggeration.

Entitlement, pc, quotas and killing opposing povs, squishing conflict by violence and prescribed rhetorics, instead of learning how to tolerate ambiguity and dissonance (creating oppressive "safe spaces" where people only accept one opinion) in fact, destroys the schools these days and quality education.
Reply With Quote
  #6159  
Old 21.03.2017, 17:55
kriss kross's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: BE
Posts: 204
Groaned at 98 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 1,659 Times in 785 Posts
kriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputationkriss kross has an excellent reputation
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
(I understood him as saying that the uneducated Trump supporters aren't smart enough to figure out that they have been duped. That is, to my mind, not elitism.)
I agree, what you've written isn't elitism.

But I think what the way he began his response to my sarcastic remark was an example of elitism:

"When will those plebs realize that we know what's best for them?''
"Basically, that's the gist of it"

Last edited by kriss kross; 21.03.2017 at 18:08. Reason: Fixed for Jag
Reply With Quote
  #6160  
Old 21.03.2017, 18:02
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,131
Groaned at 42 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 11,553 Times in 4,572 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I agree, what you've written isn't elitism.

But I think what he wrote is:

"When will those plebs realize that we know what's best for them?''
"Basically, that's the gist of it"
Lol.

Now you're putting words in his mouth. Principia didn't write "When will those plebs realize that we know what's best for them?'', someone else did. As far as I remember it was.... you.

Have a rare smilie while we wait for Principia to clarify what the hell he meant:
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (1 members and 3 guests)
rainer_d
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 13:51
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 145 29.11.2016 09:03
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 6 14.11.2016 21:29
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 12:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 17:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0