Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 93 26.50%
No 258 73.50%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6941  
Old 24.04.2017, 00:54
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,790
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,698 Times in 11,394 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

As we approach the first 100 days of Trump presidency we see he has kept just 5.9% of his campaign promises, source.

Trump also issued a list of his planned deliverables in his first 100 days "Donald Trump’s Contract with the American Voter" , also only achieved a small percentage so far. Here is the list of his 100 day deliverables if you want to make the same evaluation!

Big 100 day failures are
  • propose a constitutional amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress
  • a five-year ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service.
  • a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.
  • I will direct the Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator.
  • cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs
  • Middle Class Tax Relief and Simplification Act
  • Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act
  #6942  
Old 24.04.2017, 22:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

BBC1 now- the first 100 days- Trump.
  #6943  
Old 25.04.2017, 07:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,313
Groaned at 399 Times in 325 Posts
Thanked 17,298 Times in 8,749 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
It is estimated 10 million people work in US tourism so a 10% drop could risk 1 million jobs!
So much for MAGA!
Let's not exaggerate, US tourism is destined mainly to Americans themselves.
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #6944  
Old 25.04.2017, 10:39
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Let's not exaggerate, US tourism is destined mainly to Americans themselves.
I know several people who vacation in the US regularly. One couple even has a motorhome there.

Fortunately they're pro Trump So I don't think they're going to be spending less time or money there over the next four or eight years.
  #6945  
Old 25.04.2017, 11:30
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,785
Groaned at 432 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,879 Times in 10,001 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Let's not exaggerate, US tourism is destined mainly to Americans themselves.
Is it though? When I was a kid there none of our neighbours went on vacation anywhere. They stayed home and did repairs to the house, repainted it, etc. Might have changed a bit these days, but in middle America I still doubt they go away much. People living on the West and East coasts maybe, but not so much the rest of the country.
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #6946  
Old 25.04.2017, 11:54
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,785
Groaned at 432 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,879 Times in 10,001 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Wiki's answer to fake news/alternative facts.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39695767
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #6947  
Old 25.04.2017, 12:12
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,275
Groaned at 131 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 11,520 Times in 5,021 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Is it though? When I was a kid there none of our neighbours went on vacation anywhere. They stayed home and did repairs to the house, repainted it, etc.
The most widely travelled of my friends is from Tacoma, yet he's the only person in his immediate family who has a passport. When he lived in the UK, none of them visited him. My friends in Toledo have never been abroad but have family holidays within the US, and friends in Iowa have a holiday outside of the US once every 5yrs or so.
  #6948  
Old 25.04.2017, 12:50
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,785
Groaned at 432 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,879 Times in 10,001 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

None of my family have passports either at the moment. My cousin did visit the UK once back in the 70s and her grandaughter was in Germany for a time as her husband was a pilot in the US Reserves so was stationed there iirc. Other than that, no one has ever had one. They don't go on vacation much either - they're all too poor.
  #6949  
Old 25.04.2017, 12:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

It used to be that something like 20% of all US citizens had passports. That might have increased of late, but it is true that US citizens do pretty much travel within the US.

But the question is the extent to which foreign visitors make up tourism in the US, and I do think that while not the majority, the loss of foreign visitors, especially to some key locations, will be a significant loss. I just don't have data.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #6950  
Old 25.04.2017, 13:33
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
It used to be that something like 20% of all US citizens had passports. That might have increased of late, but it is true that US citizens do pretty much travel within the US.

But the question is the extent to which foreign visitors make up tourism in the US, and I do think that while not the majority, the loss of foreign visitors, especially to some key locations, will be a significant loss. I just don't have data.
The key words here in my view are some key locations.

There are obviously some locations where foreign visitors make up a large part of the total. There are other locations where that is not the case.

The question is also, to what extent is the downturn just a blip on the radar that will reverse as soon as people find something new to be angry about, and to what extent is it sufficiently long term to have an effect.
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #6951  
Old 25.04.2017, 13:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
It used to be that something like 20% of all US citizens had passports. That might have increased of late, but it is true that US citizens do pretty much travel within the US.

But the question is the extent to which foreign visitors make up tourism in the US, and I do think that while not the majority, the loss of foreign visitors, especially to some key locations, will be a significant loss. I just don't have data.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touris...s#21st_century

According to this data, 70m foreigners visit USA per year, more or less.
  #6952  
Old 25.04.2017, 13:56
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
It used to be that something like 20% of all US citizens had passports.
I don't know what the figure is in Europe.

In the UK we are in a special situation as our passports double as IDs. In most European countries, the two are separate and you can actually get qute far on an ID.

How far does a US ID get you? Can you go to Canada for example?
  #6953  
Old 25.04.2017, 14:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I don't know what the figure is in Europe.

In the UK we are in a special situation as our passports double as IDs. In most European countries, the two are separate and you can actually get qute far on an ID.

How far does a US ID get you? Can you go to Canada for example?
It used to be that you could travel to both Mexico and Canada with just a valid US driver's license. I traveled to Canada several times without a current US passport in the 1980's.

After 9/11 and the tightening up of requirements, passports are required for travel outside the US. So no, you should not be able to go to Canada without a passport. I don't know for sure, however.

An additional problem is that several US states don't have sufficient information on Driver's licenses to satisfy air travel requirements for identification - for domestic travel.

I believe that the 20% figure was accurate as of 2001. I'm sure it's increased since then, but I would be surprised if US passport holders were above 50%.

When I first started traveling to the Netherlands in the 1990's, I was impressed that almost everyone seemed to have a passport - my impression was that everyone was registered and used their passport as ID, but I might be fuzzy on that.

And of course, within the EU, you can get pretty far without a passport. It's just that for air travel you are often asked for a passport as ID - or an ID card, I suppose.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #6954  
Old 25.04.2017, 14:47
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
And of course, within the EU, you can get pretty far without a passport. It's just that for air travel you are often asked for a passport as ID - or an ID card, I suppose.
My OH, who is German, mostly travels with her ID within Europe.

In fact she didn't have a passport until she first visited the USA about 6 years ago. I think she had allowed her previous passport to expire some tim in the 1980s and never felt the need for one since. Most EU and neighbouring countries are quite happy allowing you in with an ID.

Entering the Uk was also possible on an ID.

She has taken to using her passport more recently though as this permits her to use the self-scanning machines at UK airports and save some time.

As for the US, I have a friend in Texas who has not only never been outside the US, he has never been outside Texas. Maybe he's a bit of a special case, but he's not your rural gun-toting bible-thumping redneck type. On the contrary, he's quite well informed and reasonably educated. He just never had the time or money to travel much.
  #6955  
Old 25.04.2017, 15:06
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,785
Groaned at 432 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,879 Times in 10,001 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
It used to be that you could travel to both Mexico and Canada with just a valid US driver's license. I traveled to Canada several times without a current US passport in the 1980's.

After 9/11 and the tightening up of requirements, passports are required for travel outside the US. So no, you should not be able to go to Canada without a passport. I don't know for sure, however.

An additional problem is that several US states don't have sufficient information on Driver's licenses to satisfy air travel requirements for identification - for domestic travel.

I believe that the 20% figure was accurate as of 2001. I'm sure it's increased since then, but I would be surprised if US passport holders were above 50%.

When I first started traveling to the Netherlands in the 1990's, I was impressed that almost everyone seemed to have a passport - my impression was that everyone was registered and used their passport as ID, but I might be fuzzy on that.

And of course, within the EU, you can get pretty far without a passport. It's just that for air travel you are often asked for a passport as ID - or an ID card, I suppose.
Not even close. Only 36%.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...instead-1.html

Or maybe 46%.

http://www.theexpeditioner.com/2010/...-a-passport-2/

Can't seem to agree on that either.

The increase may partly be due to the fact that Americans now need a passport to be able to take some domestic flights whereas before a driver's licence would suffice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...c-flights.html

Evidently, New York was one of the states affected by this which may partly explain why they're the only state in the graph in the second link that has 60+% of citizens holding passports. Only state that reaches that figure.
  #6956  
Old 25.04.2017, 16:45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

I did say I would be surprised if it was 50%, so i guess i was correct.

Quote:
View Post
Not even close. Only 36%.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...instead-1.html

Or maybe 46%.

http://www.theexpeditioner.com/2010/...-a-passport-2/

Can't seem to agree on that either.

The increase may partly be due to the fact that Americans now need a passport to be able to take some domestic flights whereas before a driver's licence would suffice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...c-flights.html

Evidently, New York was one of the states affected by this which may partly explain why they're the only state in the graph in the second link that has 60+% of citizens holding passports. Only state that reaches that figure.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #6957  
Old 25.04.2017, 17:10
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
My OH, who is German, mostly travels with her ID within Europe.

In fact she didn't have a passport until she first visited the USA about 6 years ago. I think she had allowed her previous passport to expire some tim in the 1980s and never felt the need for one since. Most EU and neighbouring countries are quite happy allowing you in with an ID.

Entering the Uk was also possible on an ID.

She has taken to using her passport more recently though as this permits her to use the self-scanning machines at UK airports and save some time.

As for the US, I have a friend in Texas who has not only never been outside the US, he has never been outside Texas. Maybe he's a bit of a special case, but he's not your rural gun-toting bible-thumping redneck type. On the contrary, he's quite well informed and reasonably educated. He just never had the time or money to travel much.
There are many people who have never been outside of Europe nor outside of their European home country, that is pretty normal. I know a lot of folks who have never left the US. It is not even question of being poor, either..people don't take that much time off work there. And, the US is amazing as per places to see, parks, nature, resorts...cities. Plus, families spread across the continent, if people have time off they usually fly to see their family for a reunion, weddings, Thanksgiving, Xmas...etc. I find Europeans antsier - travelling more, internationally, and making a less of a deal out if it, too.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
The following 3 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #6958  
Old 25.04.2017, 17:20
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 5,036
Groaned at 268 Times in 209 Posts
Thanked 8,269 Times in 3,644 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
In the UK we are in a special situation as our passports double as IDs.
One interpretation I guess... I'd say they have some fruity ideas about a national identity card, despite the fact that they are happy to apply for passports, social security numbers etc.... and hand over the same information to the government at the same time.

Of course the Irish have the same fruity ideas, but the present minister for foreign affairs has managed to conn them into having a 'passport card' - I guess to some he does look like a trusty old head master (but he is a lawyer)



It seems the key is to not call it a National Identity card and you'll be grand.
__________________
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." - Nelson Mandela
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #6959  
Old 25.04.2017, 17:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
It seems the key is to not call it a National Identity card and you'll be grand.
The Labor government in Australia tried that some years ago... look how far the patriotically-named "Australia Card" got. Australia remains one of only a handful of countries that do not issue identity cards and have no basic requirement for their citizens to hold any form of identification. (In Australia there is also no requirement to register your place of residence.)
  #6960  
Old 25.04.2017, 18:03
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA, former Zurich
Posts: 2,041
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,660 Posts
BokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I know a lot of folks who have never left the US. It is not even question of being poor, either..people don't take that much time off work there. And, the US is amazing as per places to see, parks, nature, resorts...cities. Plus, families spread across the continent, if people have time off they usually fly to see their family for a reunion, weddings, Thanksgiving, Xmas...etc.
True that.

I have a lot of vacation time (for US standards) and yet, aside from business travels which are unavoidable, I have pretty much reduced my outside-USA travels to only two family visits per year. Italy (and maybe Germany) at Christmas, Brazil in the spring/summer. Because I miss my family, but also because I must. If my family was in the USA, not sure I would leave the country at all for personal travel, to be honest.

I have always been travel-curious, but in the last year or so I have had less and less desire to leave the USA at all. The country is yuuuuge and there are enough things to see, even in our backyard. Plus, if I must, I'd rather spend two hours on a plane and be done with it, rather than 20 hours.

I think I am turning into a grumpy old lady!
The following 3 users would like to thank BokerTov for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 162 06.11.2020 11:15
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0