Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 88 27.33%
No 234 72.67%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #9321  
Old 08.10.2017, 22:40
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
It's only been a year since he was elected?
Gosh, it feels like ages
Yep. It‘s a dank, dark humorless tunnel of time.
Reply With Quote
  #9322  
Old 09.10.2017, 07:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 788
Groaned at 118 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 760 Times in 373 Posts
Noth has earned the respect of manyNoth has earned the respect of manyNoth has earned the respect of many
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
It's only been a year since he was elected?
Gosh, it feels like ages
11 months, actually. It ain't November yet...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Noth for this useful post:
  #9323  
Old 09.10.2017, 07:42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Japan
Posts: 286
Groaned at 24 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 445 Times in 190 Posts
Plau Deri has earned the respect of manyPlau Deri has earned the respect of manyPlau Deri has earned the respect of many
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trump doesn't do "team".
And he doesn't do "politics", runs the country like a shop. Unlike an old dog, you can't teach an old man new tricks. I am old enough to know that all too well, unfortunately
Reply With Quote
  #9324  
Old 09.10.2017, 09:17
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,051
Groaned at 380 Times in 329 Posts
Thanked 15,539 Times in 8,452 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Vice President Mike Pence left an Indianapolis Colts game on Sunday shortly after several players on the opposing San Francisco 49ers kneeled in protest during the national anthem.

Source

A top government watchdog blasted Vice President Mike Pence for using government travel to go to the Colts game Sunday.

CNN reporter Kevin Liptak tweeted Sunday that the aircraft Pence takes can cost over $42,000 an hour to operate, meaning that Pence’s trip could cost upwards of $250,000. For 5 minutes at the game!

Source

Draining the swamp

Edit - Vice President Mike Pence seems to have shared a photo of himself from an Indianapolis Colts game in 2014 in a tweet about attending a Colts game on Sunday. Pence was also pictured in a different outfit at the game Sunday than he wore in the image, and his wife, Karen Pence, was seen wearing a different Colts jersey.

Source

Compare the photos¨
Attached Thumbnails
will-trump-good-president-pencenew.jpg   will-trump-good-president-penceold.jpg  
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work

Last edited by marton; 09.10.2017 at 09:31.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #9325  
Old 09.10.2017, 10:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,524
Groaned at 296 Times in 244 Posts
Thanked 9,723 Times in 5,128 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Back to Trump and international politics.

First, there's Lybia and the Iraq. Both stopped their nuclear ambitions but still saw their respective regime overthrown in later years.

Second, there's the Iran deal. Iran is complying completely and unless the IAEA declares Iran in breach, the US must also comply. Yet Trump is thinking out loud about breaking it.

Third, there's North Korea. You all know about the tensions. Now, let's assume for discussion's sake that Kim Jong-Un is willing to negotiate and reach some kind of agreement, which of course would include nuclear disarmament. Put another way, in this scenario NK's recent actions are mere posturing to get UN food delivered for free.

Trump's considering breaching the Iran deal, plus Ghadaffi's and Saddam's fates, makes such a hypothetical willingness a completely stupid move because, obviously, Trump can't be trusted to have the US keep its promises. Add the fact that he openly thinks about striking first, even including nuclear weapons, and suddenly NK's acts become quite rational:
Only reaching nuclear ICBM capability with a sufficient number of warheads assures the Kim dynasty's survival. Only a new version of cold war will do the trick.

Your thoughts?

ETA:
I forgot: Also keep in mind that legally, the US and NK are still at war and have been for almost 70 years now. What they (plus South Korea I think) have so far is merely a truce.

Last edited by Urs Max; 09.10.2017 at 11:04.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #9326  
Old 09.10.2017, 10:56
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,051
Groaned at 380 Times in 329 Posts
Thanked 15,539 Times in 8,452 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Back to Trump and international politics.

First, there's Lybia and the Iraq. Both stopped their nuclear ambitions but still saw their respective regime overthrown in later years.

Second, there's the Iran deal. Iran is complying completely and unless the IAEA declares Iran in breach, the US must also comply. Yet Trump is thinking out loud about breaking it.

Third, there's North Korea. You all know about the tensions. Now, let's assume for discussion's sake that Kim Jong-Un is willing to negotiate and reach some kind of agreement, which of course would include nuclear disarmament. Put another way, in this scenario NK's recent actions are mere posturing to get UN food delivered for free.

Trump's considering breaching the Iran deal, plus Ghadaffi's and Saddam's fates, makes such a hypothetical willingness a completely stupid move because, obviously, Trump can't be trusted to have the US keep its promises. Add the fact that he openly thinks about striking first, even including nuclear weapons, and suddenly NK's acts become quite rational:
Only reaching nuclear ICBM capability with a sufficient number of warheads assures the Kim dynasty's survival. Only a new version of cold war will do the trick.

Your thoughts?
So at this tricky time in international politics for Trump what does he do? He picks a fight with Senator Bob Corker, the Republican chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and sends him insulting tweets. So who will support and vote for any new Trump foreign policy in the Senate?

Plus the newspapers are full of the dispute between Tillerson, head of the State Department, and Trump.

It will all end in tears!
Reply With Quote
  #9327  
Old 09.10.2017, 10:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Vice President Mike Pence left an Indianapolis Colts game on Sunday shortly after several players on the opposing San Francisco 49ers kneeled in protest during the national anthem.

Source

A top government watchdog blasted Vice President Mike Pence for using government travel to go to the Colts game Sunday.

CNN reporter Kevin Liptak tweeted Sunday that the aircraft Pence takes can cost over $42,000 an hour to operate, meaning that Pence’s trip could cost upwards of $250,000. For 5 minutes at the game!

Source

Draining the swamp

Edit - Vice President Mike Pence seems to have shared a photo of himself from an Indianapolis Colts game in 2014 in a tweet about attending a Colts game on Sunday. Pence was also pictured in a different outfit at the game Sunday than he wore in the image, and his wife, Karen Pence, was seen wearing a different Colts jersey.

Source

Compare the photos¨
Imagine kneeling during in a national anthem as a protest through. What's it going to change? But what's worse, imagine complaining about it?!

Is there a better paradigm of the times we live in?
Reply With Quote
  #9328  
Old 09.10.2017, 11:04
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

So, 467 pages in, and as far as I can gather Trump has done the same as every previous president in modern times:- He's looked at the books, shit himself, and spent the rest of his time playing golf. He's had his minor victories, his minor setbacks, but nothing major has changed since he took office. He's not declared war on anyone yet, like many of his predecessors, though I expect that the change at some point. Basically, it's hard to see what all the fuss was about. Butthurt for butthurt's sake.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9329  
Old 09.10.2017, 11:07
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 10,713
Groaned at 165 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 11,980 Times in 6,294 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
......It will all end in tears!
You mean Trump is gonna cry in public soon, stamping his foot?

Quote:
View Post
Imagine kneeling during in a national anthem as a protest through. What's it going to change? But what's worse, imagine complaining about it?!

Is there a better paradigm of the times we live in?
In 1000 years the historians will conclude we lived in a wonderful time with no serious problems to deal with.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #9330  
Old 09.10.2017, 11:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Basically, it's hard to see what all the fuss was about.
There's none so blind as those who will not see.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9331  
Old 09.10.2017, 11:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
So, 467 pages in, and as far as I can gather Trump has done the same as every previous president in modern times:- He's looked at the books, shit himself, and spent the rest of his time playing golf. He's had his minor victories, his minor setbacks, but nothing major has changed since he took office. He's not declared war on anyone yet, like many of his predecessors, though I expect that the change at some point. Basically, it's hard to see what all the fuss was about. Butthurt for butthurt's sake.
Actually one rather new and frankly marvellous stand-out feature of this administration is how members of the inner circle are now able to openly roll their eyes and even perform a facepalm in full view of the world's press.

That's just fab!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9332  
Old 09.10.2017, 11:44
FrankZappa's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France, near Geneva
Posts: 841
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,657 Times in 691 Posts
FrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Vice President Mike Pence left an Indianapolis Colts game on Sunday shortly after several players on the opposing San Francisco 49ers kneeled in protest during the national anthem.
It's been widely reported that this was a preplanned publicity stunt set up by Trump to get back at the kneeling protesters, hence the official flight. We'll see if that was a good idea...
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank FrankZappa for this useful post:
  #9333  
Old 09.10.2017, 12:33
Rob's Avatar
Rob Rob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Baden AG
Posts: 464
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,337 Times in 520 Posts
Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Vice President Mike Pence left an Indianapolis Colts game on Sunday shortly after several players on the opposing San Francisco 49ers kneeled in protest during the national anthem.

Source

A top government watchdog blasted Vice President Mike Pence for using government travel to go to the Colts game Sunday.

CNN reporter Kevin Liptak tweeted Sunday that the aircraft Pence takes can cost over $42,000 an hour to operate, meaning that Pence’s trip could cost upwards of $250,000. For 5 minutes at the game!

Source

Draining the swamp

Edit - Vice President Mike Pence seems to have shared a photo of himself from an Indianapolis Colts game in 2014 in a tweet about attending a Colts game on Sunday. Pence was also pictured in a different outfit at the game Sunday than he wore in the image, and his wife, Karen Pence, was seen wearing a different Colts jersey.

Source

Compare the photos¨
Precious little snowflake leaves football game after some bigger boys upset him
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Rob for this useful post:
  #9334  
Old 09.10.2017, 14:39
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,051
Groaned at 380 Times in 329 Posts
Thanked 15,539 Times in 8,452 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Back to Trump and international politics.

First, there's Lybia and the Iraq. Both stopped their nuclear ambitions but still saw their respective regime overthrown in later years.

Second, there's the Iran deal. Iran is complying completely and unless the IAEA declares Iran in breach, the US must also comply. Yet Trump is thinking out loud about breaking it.

Third, there's North Korea. You all know about the tensions. Now, let's assume for discussion's sake that Kim Jong-Un is willing to negotiate and reach some kind of agreement, which of course would include nuclear disarmament. Put another way, in this scenario NK's recent actions are mere posturing to get UN food delivered for free.

Trump's considering breaching the Iran deal, plus Ghadaffi's and Saddam's fates, makes such a hypothetical willingness a completely stupid move because, obviously, Trump can't be trusted to have the US keep its promises. Add the fact that he openly thinks about striking first, even including nuclear weapons, and suddenly NK's acts become quite rational:
Only reaching nuclear ICBM capability with a sufficient number of warheads assures the Kim dynasty's survival. Only a new version of cold war will do the trick.

Your thoughts?

ETA:
I forgot: Also keep in mind that legally, the US and NK are still at war and have been for almost 70 years now. What they (plus South Korea I think) have so far is merely a truce.
Trump breaking the Iran deal will contradict all available evidence that Iran is respecting the terms of the agreement and reject entreaties of European leaders and a public statement by Trump's Defense Secretary James Mattis that the US should keep faith with it.

It is clear that Trump lives in his own reality where his only driver is to be reelected in 2020. He is really not interested in solving any US or world problems unless he can spin the result to improve his 2020 chances.

You only have to look at his support for the new Healthcare bills; none of which would have delivered his campaign promises.
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
  #9335  
Old 09.10.2017, 14:43
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,051
Groaned at 380 Times in 329 Posts
Thanked 15,539 Times in 8,452 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
It's been widely reported that this was a preplanned publicity stunt set up by Trump to get back at the kneeling protesters, hence the official flight. We'll see if that was a good idea...
Probably why Pence did not use a photo of him and his wife from the actual game. You just have to look at his wife's face in the photo from last Sunday to see how much she hated being dragged half across the country on a Sunday to spend only five minutes at the game.
Reply With Quote
  #9336  
Old 09.10.2017, 15:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Zürich
Posts: 895
Groaned at 84 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 1,181 Times in 575 Posts
YuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Germany has now officially sided with Iran.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ir...KBN1CE1FL?il=0

So it seems for once the world stands united. All aboard, against the insane guy currently occupying the White House (if he's not out golfing)

https://en.radiofarda.com/a/european.../28782460.html

The dotard most certainly made even Bush Junior look like a sane person..
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank YuropFlyer for this useful post:
  #9337  
Old 09.10.2017, 15:31
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,051
Groaned at 380 Times in 329 Posts
Thanked 15,539 Times in 8,452 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Germany has now officially sided with Iran.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ir...KBN1CE1FL?il=0

So it seems for once the world stands united. All aboard, against the insane guy currently occupying the White House (if he's not out golfing)

https://en.radiofarda.com/a/european.../28782460.html

The dotard most certainly made even Bush Junior look like a sane person..
Good point by Merkel that if the Iran deal is cancelled without any good reason then North Korea will never sign any sort of new nuclear non-proliferation deal.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #9338  
Old 09.10.2017, 15:52
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,051
Groaned at 380 Times in 329 Posts
Thanked 15,539 Times in 8,452 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Another poll!

Trump's popularity is slipping in rural America
According to the Reuters/Ipsos daily tracking poll, the Republican president’s popularity is eroding in small towns and rural communities where 15 percent of the country’s population lives.

The poll found that Trump has lost support in rural areas among men, whites and people who never went to college. He lost support with rural Republicans and rural voters who supported him on Election Day.

In September, 47 percent of people in non-metro areas approved of Trump while 47 percent disapproved. That is down from Trump’s first four weeks in office, when 55 percent said they approved of the president while 39 percent disapproved.


Source (in graphic form)
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
  #9339  
Old 10.10.2017, 16:39
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,051
Groaned at 380 Times in 329 Posts
Thanked 15,539 Times in 8,452 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

For those who claim Trump is not intelligent

Quote:
President Donald Trump, scorned by reports that Rex Tillerson called him a "moron" earlier this year, told Forbes in an interview released today that he has a higher IQ than his secretary of state.
Source

Trump's presidency more dramatic than a TV Soap opera; every day something new to laugh at or to worry about
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #9340  
Old 10.10.2017, 23:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,618
Groaned at 92 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 9,936 Times in 4,471 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trump's presidency more dramatic than a TV Soap opera; every day something new to laugh at or to worry about
Let's go the whole hog and make it a televised episode of 'Mastermind' with 'The history of the NFL' as the specialist subject. Please...?!!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 159 09.10.2018 02:31
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0