Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 93 26.50%
No 258 73.50%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #10401  
Old 20.12.2017, 11:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I dunno. Things are relatively calm and doing well in the US.
For me and mine.
  #10402  
Old 20.12.2017, 11:26
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,942
Groaned at 618 Times in 523 Posts
Thanked 22,162 Times in 11,631 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I dunno. Things are relatively calm and doing well in the US. There is mass psychological hysteria around Trump pumped out by leftist media, but that is more like slapstick comedy than anything disastrous. It only really affects the overly sensitive. And well, Trump keeps winning anyway.

The tax reform bill is a clear signal we are not headed towards some socialistic welfare state. It effectively defunds many social engineering projects downstream. Even if the democrats sweep in 2018, they won't be able to put it back.

It is an indication we will continue to see peaks of excellence, extraordinary accomplishments and diamonds in the rough. In other words, America being America, fnck yeah.
As you write, the tax reform will need to be funded downstream by reducing social programs.

If the Democrats do get a Senate majority in 2018 then they may not be interested in such defunding so will simply sit back and blame GOP for any deficit increases.
  #10403  
Old 20.12.2017, 11:34
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
As you write, the tax reform will need to be funded downstream by reducing social programs.

If the Democrats do get a Senate majority in 2018 then they may not be interested in such defunding so will simply sit back and blame GOP for any deficit increases.
It's easy to defund stuff from a 20,00 feet in the air perspective. But when you're in the salt mine it's much more tricky because there are so many interdependencies, and often when one department defunds something it doesn't actually go away but becomes another department's responsibility. So individual departments may look good with their slashed budgets but overall the savings are less than that. Much the same as when you're restructuring a company. Cost saving goals are rarely actually met, and if they are met they often bounce back because expenditure is postponed rather than stopped, or just booked onto somebody else's budget.

If you want to get spending under control, a shock and panic therapy is not the way. You need to take a long term approach. You need to change your overall way of thinking and get people into those jobs who have that thinking. Shock therapies and sudden funding cuts often simply incentivize people to try and save their little kingdoms.
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #10404  
Old 20.12.2017, 11:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
As you write, the tax reform will need to be funded downstream by reducing social programs.

If the Democrats do get a Senate majority in 2018 then they may not be interested in such defunding so will simply sit back and blame GOP for any deficit increases.
Those are meaningless inverse statements of reality. The tax reform is not something that needs to be funded as taxes are the funding mechanism in itself. Furthermore, Democrats have never really been known to concern themselves with deficit increases, as it is mainly conservatives who decry deficit increases. Democrats do not, nor rarely have had an economic plan of their own. The money released into he economy is just as well taxed as it moves around. The tax reform is not a spending bill where the money simply disappears into nothingness. It is inevitably booked and taxed again.
  #10405  
Old 20.12.2017, 11:48
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: -
Posts: 247
Groaned at 141 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 2,085 Times in 996 Posts
kriss kross has earned some respectkriss kross has earned some respect
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
There is mass psychological hysteria around Trump pumped out by leftist media, but that is more like slapstick comedy than anything disastrous. It only really affects the overly sensitive. And well, Trump keeps winning anyway.
Trump's presidency is the ultimate underdog story.

No matter what they throw at him or how much they stack the odds against him he still comes out swinging - and winning!
The following 3 users would like to thank kriss kross for this useful post:
  #10406  
Old 20.12.2017, 11:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,501
Groaned at 409 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,648 Times in 8,925 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trump's presidency is the ultimate underdog story.
Lol, this is the only funny element in the whole story...when you watch it from a distance, of course. Probably I wouldn't be so amused if I was American.
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #10407  
Old 20.12.2017, 11:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trump's presidency is the ultimate underdog story.

No matter what they throw at him or how much they stack the odds against him he still comes out swinging - and winning!
It really proves the American dream. Anyone can come from anywhere and become president, regardless of colour, creed, religion or ability.
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10408  
Old 20.12.2017, 12:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trump's presidency is the ultimate underdog story.

No matter what they throw at him or how much they stack the odds against him he still comes out swinging - and winning!

They are unknowingly heroizing Trump. LOL
  #10409  
Old 20.12.2017, 12:11
FrankZappa's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France, near Geneva
Posts: 865
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,777 Times in 728 Posts
FrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
it really proves the american dream. Anyone can come from anywhere and become president, regardless of ability, as long as their white, rich and have the gift of the gab.
ftfy
  #10410  
Old 20.12.2017, 13:11
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,723
Groaned at 2,627 Times in 1,869 Posts
Thanked 39,829 Times in 18,787 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
It really proves the American dream. Anyone can come from anywhere and become president, as long as their they're at least half white, rich and have the gift of the gab..
Quote:
View Post
ftfy
FTFFY.

Tom
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #10411  
Old 20.12.2017, 13:20
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,275
Groaned at 131 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 11,520 Times in 5,021 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trump's presidency is the ultimate underdog story.
Wow! The US has billionaire underdogs?
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #10412  
Old 20.12.2017, 13:21
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: -
Posts: 247
Groaned at 141 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 2,085 Times in 996 Posts
kriss kross has earned some respectkriss kross has earned some respect
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Is the 'anyone can come from anywhere and become president' bit a reference to Obama?
This user would like to thank kriss kross for this useful post:
  #10413  
Old 20.12.2017, 13:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Wow! The US has billionaire underdogs?
Meritocracy at its fullness.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10414  
Old 20.12.2017, 13:26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Furthermore, Democrats have never really been known to concern themselves with deficit increases,
Ironic then that the only presidents to actually reduce their inherited deficit in recent times have been democrats.

2009 counts for Bush II btw.
  #10415  
Old 20.12.2017, 14:07
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,942
Groaned at 618 Times in 523 Posts
Thanked 22,162 Times in 11,631 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Those are meaningless inverse statements of reality. The tax reform is not something that needs to be funded as taxes are the funding mechanism in itself. Furthermore, Democrats have never really been known to concern themselves with deficit increases, as it is mainly conservatives who decry deficit increases. Democrats do not, nor rarely have had an economic plan of their own. The money released into he economy is just as well taxed as it moves around. The tax reform is not a spending bill where the money simply disappears into nothingness. It is inevitably booked and taxed again.
Of course, the GOP hope is that the tax cuts will empower companies to create growth and new jobs.

But with US unemployment at a 17 year low associated with Trump's drive to both reduce immigration and to increase deportations of illegal immigrants then it is not obvious that there is a pool of labour suitable to fill such new jobs which will be crucial to drive growth.
  #10416  
Old 20.12.2017, 14:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Is the 'anyone can come from anywhere and become president' bit a reference to Obama?
Are you raising the Birther issue again?
  #10417  
Old 20.12.2017, 14:14
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Of course, the GOP hope is that the tax cuts will empower companies to create growth and new jobs.
Has that ever actually happened?

I'm actually in favour of tax breaks for companies to encourage growth into a new region, but I'm yet to see evidence of tax breaks encouraging better conditions and rewards for existing employees. All I see is senior management wages and bonuses increasing almost exponentially, with little consideration for the workforce.
I'm open to be corrected however.
  #10418  
Old 20.12.2017, 14:18
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,948
Groaned at 449 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 18,087 Times in 10,093 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

"The US says it "will be taking names" during a UN General Assembly vote on a resolution criticising its recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

Permanent representative Nikki Haley warned member states that President Donald Trump had asked her to report on "who voted against us" on Thursday."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42424666

Pompous a*****e.

No need to take notes. It'll be everyone voting in favour of the motion except the US and Israel.
  #10419  
Old 20.12.2017, 14:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
"The US says it "will be taking names" during a UN General Assembly vote on a resolution criticising its recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital.
And they'll be telling their parents how mean they've been?
  #10420  
Old 20.12.2017, 14:21
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,770
Groaned at 419 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 18,298 Times in 5,668 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Has that ever actually happened?

I'm actually in favour of tax breaks for companies to encourage growth into a new region, but I'm yet to see evidence of tax breaks encouraging better conditions and rewards for existing employees. All I see is senior management wages and bonuses increasing almost exponentially, with little consideration for the workforce.
I'm open to be corrected however.
Let's take a look at Zug, Schwyz and Nidwalden. I'd say there was some definite benefits, especially in Zug, but they paid a price in losing the community spirit.
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 162 06.11.2020 11:15
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0