Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 88 26.51%
No 244 73.49%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #10421  
Old 20.12.2017, 14:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Of course, the GOP hope is that the tax cuts will empower companies to create growth and new jobs.

But with US unemployment at a 17 year low associated with Trump's drive to both reduce immigration and to increase deportations of illegal immigrants then it is not obvious that there is a pool of labour suitable to fill such new jobs which will be crucial to drive growth.
Tax cut is only putting the car into first gear. Second gear would be infrastructure projects that produce intrinsic and longer lasting values.

Labor pool is not a problem, and a mild scarcity should drive up wages to a suitable level for regular citizens.
Reply With Quote
  #10422  
Old 20.12.2017, 14:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Tax cut is only putting the car into first gear. Second gear would be infrastructure projects that produce intrinsic and longer lasting values.

Labor pool is not a problem, and a mild scarcity should drive up wages to a suitable level for regular citizens.
Oh yes, all that money not taken in in taxes will definitely be used to build new infrastructure and definitely used to pay extra in wages.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10423  
Old 20.12.2017, 14:56
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,630
Groaned at 224 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 22,125 Times in 9,408 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Has that ever actually happened?

I'm actually in favour of tax breaks for companies to encourage growth into a new region, but I'm yet to see evidence of tax breaks encouraging better conditions and rewards for existing employees. All I see is senior management wages and bonuses increasing almost exponentially, with little consideration for the workforce.
I'm open to be corrected however.
Actually, I thnk it's location dependent.

So if you go into a booming and succesful area, and lay off a handful of people, that's not doing much hurt in the bigger picture of things. They'll probably be in new jobs pretty soon. The area cotinues to grow and generate more jobs. No big damage done.

If you take that factory and build it in a heavily underpriveledged area (for example predominantly , say, African American communities in the Rust Belt), having those jobs can make a real difference to the broader community. If people who work in the new factory have a bit to spend then the cafe on the corner and the barber next door and the deli shop down the road all benefit and further jobs are created, Kids see that effort and work can be worthwhile and can adjust their objectives accordingly. Do it right and you can create a virtuous spiral.

So if you create a system of tax breaks that come with the condition of creating a certain numer of jobs in areas with say, unemployment levels above X or average household income below Y, that could help move existing wealth around.

This probaly does more to close the wealth gap than the old reflex of taxing the rich, which only encourages them to hide the money offshore.

Of course this isn't easy, but why not at least start the discussion?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #10424  
Old 20.12.2017, 15:03
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,221
Groaned at 387 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 16,021 Times in 8,686 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Has that ever actually happened?

I'm actually in favour of tax breaks for companies to encourage growth into a new region, but I'm yet to see evidence of tax breaks encouraging better conditions and rewards for existing employees. All I see is senior management wages and bonuses increasing almost exponentially, with little consideration for the workforce.
I'm open to be corrected however.
In the US, various States tried tax cuts to encourage growth. Between 2001 and 2007, Arizona, Louisiana, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma and Rhode Island cut personal income taxes. However, there was no discernible impact on economic activity.
Maybe it will be different at a Federal level.

Not only senior management wages and bonuses increasing almost exponentially but also dividend increases.

The US tax cuts going into effect on next 1st January so giving the IRS very little time to issue new rules and guidance

Meanwhile Trump has yet to nominate a permanent Commissioner for the IRS and the IRS has faced multiple budget cuts, it does not look like the transition to the new tax code will be bump free!
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
  #10425  
Old 20.12.2017, 15:10
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,614
Groaned at 253 Times in 206 Posts
Thanked 17,074 Times in 7,008 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Time Magazine's Person of the Year has been announced, and Duplicitous Donald will be upset. It's definitely not him, whatever lies he may have told the press about this "title".
Reply With Quote
  #10426  
Old 20.12.2017, 15:12
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,221
Groaned at 387 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 16,021 Times in 8,686 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Actually, I thnk it's location dependent.

So if you go into a booming and succesful area, and lay off a handful of people, that's not doing much hurt in the bigger picture of things. They'll probably be in new jobs pretty soon. The area cotinues to grow and generate more jobs. No big damage done.

If you take that factory and build it in a heavily underpriveledged area (for example predominantly , say, African American communities in the Rust Belt), having those jobs can make a real difference to the broader community. If people who work in the new factory have a bit to spend then the cafe on the corner and the barber next door and the deli shop down the road all benefit and further jobs are created, Kids see that effort and work can be worthwhile and can adjust their objectives accordingly. Do it right and you can create a virtuous spiral.

So if you create a system of tax breaks that come with the condition of creating a certain numer of jobs in areas with say, unemployment levels above X or average household income below Y, that could help move existing wealth around.

This probaly does more to close the wealth gap than the old reflex of taxing the rich, which only encourages them to hide the money offshore.

Of course this isn't easy, but why not at least start the discussion?
Companies are opening new factories in the South where they avoid the Union problems believed to be inherent in the Rust Belt.
Rust Belt states so crucial to Trump’s White House win last year have been largely left out of the employment boom. Unemployment is up in Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio since May, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The largest gains in manufacturing jobs between 2010 and 2016 were in South Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia.

Source
Reply With Quote
  #10427  
Old 20.12.2017, 15:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,796
Groaned at 312 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 10,054 Times in 5,309 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Meanwhile Trump has yet to nominate a permanent Commissioner for the IRS and the IRS has faced multiple budget cuts, it does not look like the transition to the new tax code will be bump free!
That may well be outright intentional. The less staff the less teeth the IRS has, and the more likely the taxed are to get away with shady practices.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #10428  
Old 20.12.2017, 18:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

He is cr*p at recruitment, that is for sure - how many ???

https://www.facebook.com/Brutlive/vi...7238109908033/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10429  
Old 20.12.2017, 20:19
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,149
Groaned at 367 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,914 Times in 9,065 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
"The US says it "will be taking names" during a UN General Assembly vote on a resolution criticising its recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

Permanent representative Nikki Haley warned member states that President Donald Trump had asked her to report on "who voted against us" on Thursday."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42424666

Pompous a*****e.

No need to take notes. It'll be everyone voting in favour of the motion except the US and Israel.
And now he's being a bully.

"US President Donald Trump has threatened to cut off financial aid to countries that back a United Nations resolution opposing the recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

Earlier this month, Mr Trump took that step amid international criticism.

"They take hundreds of millions of dollars and even billions of dollars, and then they vote against us," he told reporters at the White House.

"Let them vote against us. We'll save a lot. We don't care."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42431095

I hope it's a unanimous (without US and Israel as we know) yes approving the motion. D**head.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #10430  
Old 20.12.2017, 20:20
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,221
Groaned at 387 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 16,021 Times in 8,686 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Trump suggests US will cut off aid for countries that vote for UN resolution

President Trump suggested on Wednesday that the United States could withhold foreign aid for countries that vote in favor of a United Nations (U.N.) resolution calling on the U.S. to withdraw its recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

Sohttp://thehill.com/homenews/administ...at-vote-for-unurce

Edit; Oooppss, posted too late
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #10431  
Old 20.12.2017, 20:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
And now he's being a bully.

"US President Donald Trump has threatened to cut off financial aid to countries that back a United Nations resolution opposing the recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

Earlier this month, Mr Trump took that step amid international criticism.

"They take hundreds of millions of dollars and even billions of dollars, and then they vote against us," he told reporters at the White House.

"Let them vote against us. We'll save a lot. We don't care."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42431095

I hope it's a unanimous (without US and Israel as we know) yes approving the motion. D**head.
Quote:
View Post
Trump suggests US will cut off aid for countries that vote for UN resolution

President Trump suggested on Wednesday that the United States could withhold foreign aid for countries that vote in favor of a United Nations (U.N.) resolution calling on the U.S. to withdraw its recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

Sohttp://thehill.com/homenews/administ...at-vote-for-unurce
Actual LOL!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10432  
Old 20.12.2017, 20:46
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,316
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,620 Times in 5,012 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
And now he's being a bully.

"US President Donald Trump has threatened to cut off financial aid to countries that back a United Nations resolution opposing the recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

Earlier this month, Mr Trump took that step amid international criticism.

"They take hundreds of millions of dollars and even billions of dollars, and then they vote against us," he told reporters at the White House.

"Let them vote against us. We'll save a lot. We don't care."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42431095

I hope it's a unanimous (without US and Israel as we know) yes approving the motion. D**head.
If you give in to a bully the future beatings will only get worse
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #10433  
Old 20.12.2017, 20:54
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,221
Groaned at 387 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 16,021 Times in 8,686 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Actual LOL!
I am sure the Chinese will be more than happy to extend their cheque book influence; the Russians too if they had any money
Reply With Quote
  #10434  
Old 20.12.2017, 21:31
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,192
Groaned at 177 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 12,514 Times in 6,561 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I am sure the Chinese will be more than happy to extend their cheque book influence; the Russians too if they had any money
According to Syngenta the Chinese are running out too
But let's face it, what exactly is the deeply indebted US giving to someone when it says it gives them money?!

As we say here: "Papier ist geduldig".
Reply With Quote
  #10435  
Old 20.12.2017, 23:19
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,221
Groaned at 387 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 16,021 Times in 8,686 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Here's what Trump told reporters before a Cabinet meeting at the White House on Wednesday morning.
Quote:
"The individual mandate is being repealed. When the individual mandate is being repealed, that means Obamacare is repealed. Because they get their money from the individual mandate. So the individual mandate is being repealed.
So in this bill, not only do we have massive tax cuts and tax reform, we have essentially repealed Obamacare and will come up with something that will be much better, whether it's block grants or whether it's taking what we have and doing something terrific.
But Obamacare has been repealed in this bill.
Source

Source2

Trump really thinks he has repealed Obamacare? He needs professional help!!
Quote:
Trump said he refrained from playing up that measure because he was worried about how the news media would report it, but added “now that it’s approved, I can say that [Obamacare has been repealed in this bill].”
Reply With Quote
  #10438  
Old 21.12.2017, 08:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
To their top executives.
Top executives are on $15 minimum wage. WHO KNEW!

Have another link:

Thankful for Massive Tax Cut, AT&T, Wells Fargo Promise to Share the Wealth
Reply With Quote
  #10439  
Old 21.12.2017, 08:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Top executives are on $15 minimum wage. WHO KNEW!

Have another link:

Thankful for Massive Tax Cut, AT&T, Wells Fargo Promise to Share the Wealth
I'm amused at your lack of cynicism, only when it suits you.
Reply With Quote
  #10440  
Old 21.12.2017, 08:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
I'm amused at your lack of cynicism, only when it suits you.
To be perfectly honest, I don't care about the tax arrangements in a country that's an ocean away. It shouldn't bother you either.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 159 09.10.2018 02:31
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0