Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 93 26.50%
No 258 73.50%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #10461  
Old 21.12.2017, 14:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The US sent out about $50 billion in foreign aid last year alone. Hell, we can build 2 or 3 walls for that.
Actually $27 billion. Military and political aid to prop up its various and mostly rather unpleasant client states don't count as aid by any reasonable definition.

So only an 85% overstatement - pretty accurate by your standards.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10462  
Old 21.12.2017, 14:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Yet again, you didn't read your own link. This is about the US subsidising US companies.
This here...

Quote:
Don't you just hate it when those foreign snowflake companies complain about unfair government practices in other countries?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ing-complaint/

Oh.

...is about Canada subsidizing Bombadier.
  #10463  
Old 21.12.2017, 14:18
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
This here...




...is about Canada subsidizing Bombadier.
Ah - you mean you get it now? Or do you think...:

Canada subsidising Bombadier = bad. But
US subsidising US companies = good?

Because that is what we are talking about.

Oh and BTW, the US massively subsidises Boeing.
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10464  
Old 21.12.2017, 14:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Actually $27 billion. Military and political aid to prop up its various and mostly rather unpleasant client states don't count as aid by any reasonable definition.

So only an 85% overstatement - pretty accurate by your standards.
Yeah, it includes military support for "unpleasant" client states that make up the bulk of civilized countries of the world.
  #10465  
Old 21.12.2017, 14:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, it includes military support for "unpleasant" client states that make up the bulk of civilized countries of the world.
So you've never actually read the list then? I just did and there's very few on there that would fit with your statement.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10466  
Old 21.12.2017, 14:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Ah - you mean you get it now? Or do you think...:

Canada subsidising Bombadier = bad. But
US subsidising US companies = good?

Because that is what we are talking about.

Oh and BTW, the US massively subsidises Boeing.

US Tax Reform has nothing to do with unfair subsidization whatsoever.
  #10467  
Old 21.12.2017, 14:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
US Tax Reform has nothing to do with unfair subsidization whatsoever.
Still not reading your own link then. OK, let's make it easy for you. The EU potential complaints include:

A new "excise tax" of 20 percent, levied on payments made when an American company buys goods or services from a foreign subsidiary or "affiliate" — unless the subsidiary elects to treat the payments as income in the US....this measure would break WTO rules because it levies a tax only on foreign goods and services, not on the equivalent domestically produced goods and services.

Lower taxes on income from intangibles - a preferential tax regime for "foreign-derived intangible income. In essence, when US companies earn income outside the US via licensing fees, those fees would be taxed at a reduced corporate tax rate of 12.5 percent. This would subsidise exports compared with domestic consumption.

"Base Erosion" protection - in itself not bad but as proposed would have the potential of being extremely harmful for the international banking and insurance business, as cross-border intra-group financial transactions would be treated as non-deductible and subject to a 10 percent tax
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10468  
Old 21.12.2017, 14:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Can you stop using facts and making sense please Baboon, it's confusing half the room.
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10469  
Old 21.12.2017, 14:48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Still not reading your own link then. OK, let's make it easy for you. The EU potential complaints include:
Let me make it easier for you. Lots of EU countries have been doing the same, and so the EU complaint is irrelevant and won't have any impact on US sovereign taxation policies.

It is great to hear about the complaint though, as it confirms the intended purpose of the tax reform has been acknowledged and recognized by US competitors.
  #10470  
Old 21.12.2017, 15:39
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,366
Groaned at 523 Times in 442 Posts
Thanked 20,372 Times in 10,723 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Let me make it easier for you. Lots of EU countries have been doing the same, and so the EU complaint is irrelevant and won't have any impact on US sovereign taxation policies.

It is great to hear about the complaint though, as it confirms the intended purpose of the tax reform has been acknowledged and recognized by US competitors.
Really, so why are the US not complaining to the WTO? Possibly because lots of EU countries have not been doing the same?
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #10471  
Old 21.12.2017, 16:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Really, so why are the US not complaining to the WTO? Possibly because lots of EU countries have not been doing the same?
Again, would you stop with the facts. Jesus.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10472  
Old 21.12.2017, 16:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Really, so why are the US not complaining to the WTO? Possibly because lots of EU countries have not been doing the same?
Quote:
Again, would you stop with the facts. Jesus.
That's right. Let's forget about Ireland for a moment.

Anyway, this is a nut the US has been trying to crack for decades, but it has lacked resolve and leadership. This would not have happened without Trump's leadership. I think many can readily admit that Trump is an awful politician, maybe even the worse ever. But he is a very effective leader nevertheless, and may be one of the best US Presidents we've had in a very long time.

Last edited by Phos; 21.12.2017 at 16:21.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10473  
Old 21.12.2017, 19:40
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,366
Groaned at 523 Times in 442 Posts
Thanked 20,372 Times in 10,723 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trump suggests US will cut off aid for countries that vote for UN resolution
Quote:
View Post
Yeah, go for it!
UN resolution result = 128 members voted in favour of the resolution with only nine against.

Trump's rhetoric was ignored as usual.
This user groans at marton for this post:
  #10474  
Old 21.12.2017, 19:57
Rob's Avatar
Rob Rob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Baden AG
Posts: 463
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,337 Times in 520 Posts
Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
UN resolution result = 128 members voted in favour of the resolution with only nine against.

Trump's rhetoric was ignored as usual.
Your name will go on the list! What is it?

Don’t tell him, France!
The following 2 users would like to thank Rob for this useful post:
  #10475  
Old 21.12.2017, 20:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Ka-ching! The US really needs better value propositions before sending out money.
  #10476  
Old 21.12.2017, 20:59
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: -
Posts: 247
Groaned at 141 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 2,085 Times in 996 Posts
kriss kross has earned some respectkriss kross has earned some respect
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

''We will no longer surrender this country or its people to the false song of globalism''

Donald Trump
The following 2 users would like to thank kriss kross for this useful post:
  #10477  
Old 21.12.2017, 21:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
UN resolution result = 128 members voted in favour of the resolution with only nine against.

Trump's rhetoric was ignored as usual.
Hope he's got a big book for all those names he's taking, this winning he's doing is embarrassing. The US is being taken as seriously as comical Ali
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10478  
Old 21.12.2017, 21:42
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,366
Groaned at 523 Times in 442 Posts
Thanked 20,372 Times in 10,723 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
That's right. Let's forget about Ireland for a moment.

Anyway, this is a nut the US has been trying to crack for decades, but it has lacked resolve and leadership. This would not have happened without Trump's leadership. I think many can readily admit that Trump is an awful politician, maybe even the worse ever. But he is a very effective leader nevertheless, and may be one of the best US Presidents we've had in a very long time.
What has Ireland to do with this discussion?
Are you having a senior moment?

Edit; are you talking about Trump's loss making golf club?
  #10479  
Old 21.12.2017, 21:49
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,440
Groaned at 418 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 17,489 Times in 9,806 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
UN resolution result = 128 members voted in favour of the resolution with only nine against.

Trump's rhetoric was ignored as usual.
Not quite that emphatic.

"The non-binding resolution was approved by 128 states, with 35 abstaining and nine others voting against."

"There were 21 countries who did not turn up for the vote."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42446027

So a third (65) of the 193 members either abstained, voted against or didn't turn up.
  #10480  
Old 21.12.2017, 22:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Good timing for the UN to go on a diet anyway.

Less partying and more facing up to realities.

US can build some nice airports with that money.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 11 (0 members and 11 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 162 06.11.2020 12:15
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 23:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 13:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 12:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 17:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0