Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 71 27.41%
No 188 72.59%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11401  
Old 16.01.2018, 22:33
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,483
Groaned at 29 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,085 Times in 635 Posts
robBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputation
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Proper sound advice on tweeting:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/just-...023004192.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #11402  
Old 16.01.2018, 23:01
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,000
Groaned at 298 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 12,720 Times in 7,002 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Actual question from the Montreal Cognitive Assessment to detect Alzheimer.
President Trump scored a 30/30. This question is worth three of those points.
Name:  alzanimals.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  26.9 KB

Correct answer is "Animals my son has shot"

Also healthy eating
Name:  trumpmcdonalds.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  24.9 KB

Last edited by marton; 16.01.2018 at 23:19.
Reply With Quote
  #11403  
Old 16.01.2018, 23:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,671
Groaned at 68 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,889 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Joe Biden is a very strong candidate. He has that unpretentious "ordinary Joe" personality, combined with a sharp mind and a detailed understanding of topics. He has the added advantage that he wanted to run against Hillary and can thus benefit from Trump's anti-Hillary rhetoric. His prone-ness to the occasional minor gaffe may also turn out in his favour, as it makes it easier for people to relate to him and see him as one of the people. His weakness is his age. If he serves two terms he'll be 86 at the end of his presidency.
Just backtracking to this a moment...

If I were American, I'd vote for Biden in a heartbeat. If there were a British candidate of his calibre, I'd vote for them in a heartbeat. He's a grafter and diligent. He's known great personal tragedy and has immense empathy. He has cross party respect. For the more conservative, he has strong religious beliefs and family values. But most of all (for me), he's a good old fashioned 'public servant'. You know that the only reason he's in the politics is that he wants to make a difference for the better. It goes without question and that makes him a rare beast.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #11404  
Old 17.01.2018, 01:25
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,000
Groaned at 298 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 12,720 Times in 7,002 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Nine of the 12 members of the National Park System Advisory Board suddenly quit Monday in protest of how Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has treated them, according to a new report.

the board hasn’t held a meeting since President Trump took office last January despite the boarding being required by law to meet two times each year.

“We were frozen out,” Board Chairman Knowles told the newspaper.

Source
Reply With Quote
  #11405  
Old 17.01.2018, 11:09
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,759
Groaned at 197 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 19,136 Times in 8,135 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Just backtracking to this a moment...

If I were American, I'd vote for Biden in a heartbeat. If there were a British candidate of his calibre, I'd vote for them in a heartbeat. He's a grafter and diligent. He's known great personal tragedy and has immense empathy. He has cross party respect. For the more conservative, he has strong religious beliefs and family values. But most of all (for me), he's a good old fashioned 'public servant'. You know that the only reason he's in the politics is that he wants to make a difference for the better. It goes without question and that makes him a rare beast.
Assuming for a moment that the next president will be a Dem ...

There are two scenarios.

Either there will be a recation towards Trump's flambuoyancy, and they will go for somebody with restraint, whose main strenghs lie in understanding the system and doing the job in the most efficient way without drawing unncessary attention or making a show of it. That is Biden.

The other scenario is that they will see that the showmanship and trolling of Trump was actually a good thing in itself, and they will want some left-wing version of Trump to take over. That could be Oprah.

If they want the second option, they need to stop criticizing Trump for being Trump, but focus more on criticizing his policies. If they say that his style is so wrong, that could turn around and hurt their own candidate later.

If they want the first option, then they need to be focussing on discrediting Trump's style. I assume their strategists have already thought this through so their actions may hint at who their favoured candidate will be.

But the, as Trump has shown, a rogue candidate can totally disrupt a primary and wreck all plans.
Reply With Quote
  #11406  
Old 17.01.2018, 11:16
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: -
Posts: 258
Groaned at 142 Times in 100 Posts
Thanked 2,085 Times in 996 Posts
kriss kross has earned some respectkriss kross has earned some respect
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Assuming for a moment that the next president will be a Dem ...
Do you want to make your country great again or do you want to turn your country into a shithole?
Reply With Quote
  #11407  
Old 17.01.2018, 11:18
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,692
Groaned at 91 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 4,225 Times in 1,819 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Do you want to make your country great again or do you want to turn your country into a shithole?
To be honest, nothing has changed in that regard. If you're rich, America has always been great, if you are poor, it has always been a shitehole.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
This user groans at StirB for this post:
  #11408  
Old 17.01.2018, 11:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 7,029
Groaned at 234 Times in 185 Posts
Thanked 9,088 Times in 4,862 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trust Trump? A man who tells an average of five lies a day? Right at the start on his inauguration he claimed it did not rain during his speech and he had the largest inauguration crowd.

It is not possible to trust anybody who lies so repeatedly.

Look at the latest furore, they are arguing about did he describe African countries as shithouses or shitholes
Either term is equally bad.

I assume the media that are claiming Trump asked about these countries "can't we take them out!" are joking
Still, it smells like hypocrisy to me. Your average Joe would use the same language if it suited him, yet when Trump speaks like that in a conversation that wasn't even public everybody is up in their arms.
People should be happy with these politicians they created. Just think of it - you know how electoral campaigns are run and by whom, stuff that is in charge with winning it creates a character and a narrative based on what people want to hear. With Trump, my bet is that it was an easy job, Trump was a self-made in this regard.

Edit> there was an article in NYTimes yesterday about a press conference on immigration....which detected a problem of current times - no-one asked about the wall and changes in immigration laws after all, only about the language used by Trump. What can I say, I like his distraction techniques. Once again, stupid he isn't.

Last edited by greenmount; 17.01.2018 at 11:50.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #11409  
Old 17.01.2018, 11:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,671
Groaned at 68 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,889 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Assuming for a moment that the next president will be a Dem ...
The next President will have to...
1. Truly represent the party they are standing for, which has always been a question mark over Trump's head given his strong support for the Dems in the past. There's still a feeling that he's representing himself and his own views which is even antagonist to many Reps.

2. Be an affable, eloquent mediator, capable of getting all sides onboard when emphasing common interests.

Quote:
View Post
There are two scenarios.

Either there will be a recation towards Trump's flambuoyancy, and they will go for somebody with restraint, whose main strenghs lie in understanding the system and doing the job in the most efficient way without drawing unncessary attention or making a show of it. That is Biden.

The other scenario is that they will see that the showmanship and trolling of Trump was actually a good thing in itself, and they will want some left-wing version of Trump to take over. That could be Oprah.
Agreed and depending on how the next couple of years pan out, the public will decide. Personally, I think it will be the former. People quickly tire of flambouyancy. It's emotionally, mentally and physically draining to live with on a daily basis.

This is precisely why 'May you always live in interesting times' is seen as a curse and not a blessing.
Reply With Quote
  #11410  
Old 17.01.2018, 12:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6,289
Groaned at 208 Times in 160 Posts
Thanked 13,210 Times in 4,493 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The next President will have to...
1. Truly represent the party they are standing for, which has always been a question mark over Trump's head given his strong support for the Dems in the past. There's still a feeling that he's representing himself and his own views which is even antagonist to many Reps.

2. Be an affable, eloquent mediator, capable of getting all sides onboard when emphasing common interests.
that's your opinion. not a requirement.
the only requirement is that the next president needs to be elected.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #11411  
Old 17.01.2018, 12:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,671
Groaned at 68 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,889 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
that's your opinion. not a requirement.
the only requirement is that the next president needs to be elected.
If you want progress, and not constant blocking of all proposed policies, I'd say it's a requirement.
Reply With Quote
  #11412  
Old 17.01.2018, 12:17
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,018
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 4,111 Times in 2,111 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

A moment of humour.

After Trump's health check up, quite a lot of people people do not believe he is only 239lbs (108.4 kg) so they have started a "girther" movement (following on the birther movement for Obama). Some good postings if you want a laugh.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...al-weight.html

And it seems that he has grown 1 inch (2.54 cm). Must be the new hair-do.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Verbier for this useful post:
  #11413  
Old 17.01.2018, 12:18
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 12,033
Groaned at 155 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 14,340 Times in 7,190 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
If you want progress, and not constant blocking of all proposed policies, I'd say it's a requirement.
I'd say it is a good theory.

Quote:
View Post
that's your opinion. not a requirement.
the only requirement is that the next president needs to be elected.
It feels great to be sure of something
Reply With Quote
  #11414  
Old 17.01.2018, 12:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,671
Groaned at 68 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,889 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

I'm more confused by the stories down the side column of the link. Whatever happened to "Does my bum look big in this?" There's some huge backsides proudly being displayed.
Reply With Quote
  #11415  
Old 17.01.2018, 13:09
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,000
Groaned at 298 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 12,720 Times in 7,002 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
A moment of humour.

After Trump's health check up, quite a lot of people people do not believe he is only 239lbs (108.4 kg) so they have started a "girther" movement (following on the birther movement for Obama). Some good postings if you want a laugh.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...al-weight.html

And it seems that he has grown 1 inch (2.54 cm). Must be the new hair-do.
With the quoted numbers his BMI is 29.9. 30 is classified as obese; see what difference an inch makes
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #11416  
Old 17.01.2018, 13:18
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 1,388
Groaned at 296 Times in 160 Posts
Thanked 1,115 Times in 636 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
To be honest, nothing has changed in that regard. If you're rich, America has always been great, if you are poor, it has always been a shitehole.
Bullshit. A ton of Chineses, Indians, Italians, Jews, Armenians, Persians, Mexicans, Eastern Europeans, etc., arrived poor in the USA and are now rich.
Reply With Quote
  #11417  
Old 17.01.2018, 13:20
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,253
Groaned at 104 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,166 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Bullshit. A ton of Chineses, Indians, Italians, Jews, Armenians, Persians, Mexicans, Eastern Europeans, etc., arrived poor in the USA and are now rich.
Bullshit. A GREAT many more haven't. Do we really have to have that discussion again? Fact is, in the more recent past, in the US if you are poor you are very likely to stay that way. Much more likely than in Europe.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #11418  
Old 17.01.2018, 13:24
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 12,033
Groaned at 155 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 14,340 Times in 7,190 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Why do we keep seeing here (in media in general, too) the no-no issues that the pro-pc folk get frequently upset about if it relates to somebody else: fat-shaming Trump, commenting on his many mental illnesses, calling him an idiot, unfit, old (hello agism snowflakes and equal opportunities rioters), looking into his plate, uhm...dyslexia? I might have missed a few. Is it just me who notices this, or "it serves him right". I guess people exclude potus out of their standards on decency if they consider him unworthy. Does it say something about the one who is being judged or about the self proclaimed experts on potus standards.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H.Pestalozzi

ἀρχὴ ἥμισυ παντός
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
This user groans at MusicChick for this post:
  #11419  
Old 17.01.2018, 13:29
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,904
Groaned at 108 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 20,855 Times in 8,033 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Why do we keep seeing here (in media in general, too) the no-no issues that the pro-pc folk get frequently upset about if it relates to somebody else: fat-shaming Trump, commenting on his many mental illnesses, calling him an idiot, unfit, old (hello agism snowflakes and equal opportunities rioters), looking into his plate, uhm...dyslexia? I might have missed a few. Is it just me who notices this, or "it serves him right". I guess people exclude potus out of their standards on decency if they consider him unworthy. Does it say something about the one who is being judged or about the self proclaimed experts on potus standards.
I don't think it's anything to do with being PC. People spot bullshit and call it out. Simple as.

It's just upsetting the non-PC people, it seems.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #11420  
Old 17.01.2018, 14:04
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 7,902
Groaned at 106 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 8,310 Times in 4,463 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I'm more confused by the stories down the side column of the link. Whatever happened to "Does my bum look big in this?" There's some huge backsides proudly being displayed.
The question is still being asked, only these days the desired answer seems to be "yes"

I can not believe that all details of the medical examination of Trump was publicly read out (by whom - was that the doctor in that video??!!).
I have not seen anything like it with any of our Bundesräte. In fact, I've not seen anything like it with any president in the world.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 159 09.10.2018 02:31
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0