Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 88 27.16%
No 236 72.84%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1141  
Old 02.12.2016, 16:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,699
Groaned at 305 Times in 253 Posts
Thanked 9,892 Times in 5,224 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I think this was largely symbolic. The US government normally does not interfere in private sector decisions such as these. This is something normally seen in third world countries.

Ironically, Obama lampooned Trump about how he can't bring back jobs in this particularly Carrier case, and so Trump did. Knowing Trump I think it was just to troll Obama.

I can't imagine .. [blabla].
The news is easily found. Simply consult your favourite news outlet.

And no, Trump's deal doesn't bring back even one single job. He managed to keep roughly half from being moved, and only at an immensely high price. Just for reference, Delphi Automotive has less than $20k equity per employee. For them this deal would bring (an additional) 50% annual return on shareholders equity.

As for the rest:
Just more of your usual unsubstantiated speculation.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #1142  
Old 02.12.2016, 17:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The news is easily found. Simply consult your favourite news outlet.

And no, Trump's deal doesn't bring back even one single job. He managed to keep roughly half from being moved, and only at an immensely high price. Just for reference, Delphi Automotive has less than $20k equity per employee. For them this deal would bring (an additional) 50% annual return on shareholders equity.

As for the rest:
Just more of your usual unsubstantiated speculation.

I don't think anybody is taking it as if Trump has already solved the labor crisis before stepping into office. It was more a demonstration of his engagement, per his campaign platform. I don't know the details of the solution they came up with, although I suspect that incentive was committed at the state level, and not at the federal level.

In any case, it does demonstrate that something can be done. That is in contrast to Obama and the Democrats who have given up and resigned themselves to futility by blaming those workers for the loss of their jobs.

I think this was a poke in the eye of Obama who said Trump cannot save any of the Carrier jobs. It's a good start in the right direction. I think they will try to formulate this into strategic regulations as part of Trump's agenda, per his campaign platform. I'd give them a good grade for effort alone, and a bad grade to Obama for not even trying.
Reply With Quote
  #1143  
Old 02.12.2016, 17:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I don't think anybody is taking it as if Trump has already solved the labor crisis before stepping into office. It was more a demonstration of his engagement, per his campaign platform. I don't know the details of the solution they came up with, although I suspect that incentive was committed at the state level, and not at the federal level.

In any case, it does demonstrate that something can be done. That is in contrast to Obama and the Democrats who have given up and resigned themselves to futility by blaming those workers for the loss of their jobs.

I think this was a poke in the eye of Obama who said Trump cannot save any of the Carrier jobs. It's a good start in the right direction. I think they will try to formulate this into strategic regulations as part of Trump's agenda, per his campaign platform. I'd give them a good grade for effort alone, and a bad grade to Obama for not even trying.
Sorry, spending 10k per employee in legalised bribes to get them to stay isn't saving jobs, it's subsidising big business at the expense of the taxpayer. I'm sure even Obama could have "saved" jobs in this manner, but if he had, the country would be bankrupt...another of The Donald's specialities.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #1144  
Old 02.12.2016, 18:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Sorry, spending 10k per employee in legalised bribes to get them to stay isn't saving jobs, it's subsidising big business at the expense of the taxpayer. I'm sure even Obama could have "saved" jobs in this manner, but if he had, the country would be bankrupt...another of The Donald's specialities.
If it is a case of straight cash, I would agree that it is an unsustainable subsidy or bribe. But I don't really know the details of the deal. It could very well be the net value of pending corporate tax cuts in the US. Tax rates are expected to be cut from 35% to 15% for corporations.

I tend think this is another one of those shrill EF exaggerations and over-reactions. No need for a rush to judgment. Next election is 4 years away.
Reply With Quote
  #1145  
Old 02.12.2016, 19:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,630
Groaned at 92 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 9,954 Times in 4,476 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Who bailed out the US car industry Phos? I think you must have a very short memory to forget such an unpopular but necessary action.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #1146  
Old 02.12.2016, 19:43
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Phos seems to be focusing on buzzwords instead of facts again. Misusing shrill again also. Shame, I think he almost admitted The Donald might have made a mistake.
Reply With Quote
  #1147  
Old 02.12.2016, 21:12
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,051
Groaned at 364 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 15,839 Times in 9,022 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Now he's challenging the recounts.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38187641

I wonder why?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #1148  
Old 02.12.2016, 21:36
manwithnoname's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 466
Groaned at 66 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,209 Times in 484 Posts
manwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Phos seems to be focusing on buzzwords instead of facts again. Misusing shrill again also. Shame, I think he almost admitted The Donald might have made a mistake.
shrill
adjective, shriller, shrillest.
1.
high-pitched and piercing in sound quality:
a shrill cry.


mad buzzwords yo
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank manwithnoname for this useful post:
  #1149  
Old 03.12.2016, 08:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Nurse, old Mr Trump's out of bed causing havoc again...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38191711

His fanboys must be ecstatic.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #1150  
Old 03.12.2016, 09:13
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 136 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,240 Times in 2,929 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Phos seems to be focusing on buzzwords instead of facts again. Misusing shrill again also. Shame, I think he almost admitted The Donald might have made a mistake.
When has Phos ever focused on facts?

Although I agree the near admittance that Mad Don made a cock-up is some sort of record.
Reply With Quote
  #1151  
Old 03.12.2016, 10:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,630
Groaned at 92 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 9,954 Times in 4,476 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Besides Trump transfering the running of his brand to his children, which doesn't comply with 'blind interest', isn't this also a huge conflict of interest?

Quote:
Dakota Access pipeline company and Donald Trump have close financial ties

Trump’s financial disclosure forms show he invested in Energy Transfer Partners, operators of the controversial pipeline, and its CEO donated to his campaign
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/ar...raises-concern
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #1152  
Old 03.12.2016, 14:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

This is kind of interesting regarding conflict of interest. Apparently the rules about conflict of interest for president and vice president are not well defined.

(I'm not sure about the quality of this resource - it's an interpretation of the law.


http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/trum...-apply-to-him/

Some quotes -

"Both the Vice President and President are exempt from federal rules that prohibit executive branch employees from participating in matters in which they have financial interests.

In fact, 18 U.S.C. Section 202 specifically states, as relating to Section 208 which deals with financial interests:

“Except as otherwise provided in such sections, the terms ‘officer’ and ’employee’ in sections 203, 205, 207 through 209, and 218 of this title shall not include the President, the Vice President, a Member of Congress, or a Federal judge.”

The theory behind exempting the President and Vice President from this law is that they need to carry out their constitutional duties without legal restraints.

“On top of the language of Section 208, there has been a long debate over the application of ethics laws to the president. The position of the Justice Department in the 1970s was that such laws did not apply to the president–even before the insertion of the express exemption, ” George Washington Law Professor Jonathan Turley wrote in his blog. However, in years past, presidents have taken steps to separate their business dealings from their political life, which is perceived as core principle of good governance.

And then there is this:

"And while Trump is right to say conflict-of-interest rules don’t apply to him, other laws governing this type of behavior do like the federal bribery statute and the Foreign Gifts and Decorations Act which explicitly prohibits the President from accepting gifts from foreign governments or international organizations except as permitted under the law.

And, interestingly, as President, Trump will have no legal protection from lawsuits that stem from his private life, thanks to a 1997 Supreme Court ruling after President Bill Clinton was sued by Paula Jones in a sexual harassment case."


Interesting times. I suppose a lot of ethical behavior has been more convention than law - so we'll see what happens next.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #1153  
Old 03.12.2016, 21:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Nurse, old Mr Trump's out of bed causing havoc again...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38191711

His fanboys must be ecstatic.
This is great. How anyone with any sense can complain is beyond me.

Taiwan is a democracy. China isn't. It's about time someone ruffelled their feathers.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #1154  
Old 03.12.2016, 22:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
This is great. How anyone with any sense can complain is beyond me.

Taiwan is a democracy. China isn't. It's about time someone ruffelled their feathers.
Maybe so. I guess we'll see the impact of abandoning protocol soon enough.

I guess there are some concerns about the Chinese destabilizing the dollar, given that they hold something like 10% of the US debt. I think a bigger issue might be that the Chinese make so much of the sh*t sold in the US, i imagine a pissed off China screwing US consumers in a bigly yuuuuge way.
Reply With Quote
  #1155  
Old 03.12.2016, 22:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Maybe so. I guess we'll see the impact of abandoning protocol soon enough.

I guess there are some concerns about the Chinese destabilizing the dollar, given that they hold something like 10% of the US debt. I think a bigger issue might be that the Chinese make so much of the sh*t sold in the US, i imagine a pissed off China screwing US consumers in a bigly yuuuuge way.
The entire Chinese economy is based on selling cheap stuff to the west. Any economic games and it'll end up hurting them. 2008 showed us as much.

Anyhow, the beautiful thing about this move is that no right minded liberal can criticise Trump without looking like a prat.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #1156  
Old 03.12.2016, 22:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The entire Chinese economy is based on selling cheap stuff to the west. Any economic games and it'll end up hurting them. 2008 showed us as much.

Anyhow, the beautiful thing about this move is that no right minded liberal can criticise Trump without looking like a prat.
Guess I'm a prat then, whatever that is. Don't care.
Reply With Quote
  #1157  
Old 04.12.2016, 01:09
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,585
Groaned at 252 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 16,922 Times in 6,952 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Interesting times. I suppose a lot of ethical behavior has been more convention than law - so we'll see what happens next.
The principle that Trump will behave in a manner perceived as "ethical" only when forced to by the law (and even then, only when he has exhausted every possibility to circumvent the law) is very well established. There are numerous examples, dating back to his first years in business.

Shady and unprincipled doesn't even start to describe Trump.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #1158  
Old 04.12.2016, 01:27
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,384
Groaned at 109 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 5,965 Times in 3,359 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Walk of fame starts from pissing off the super powers. Well let's see how it all unveils ...

Trump-Taiwan call: China lodges protest
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-38194371
Reply With Quote
  #1159  
Old 04.12.2016, 01:35
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,582
Groaned at 269 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 16,484 Times in 7,002 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
This is great. How anyone with any sense can complain is beyond me.

Taiwan is a democracy. China isn't. It's about time someone ruffelled their feathers.
If he puts a bit more effort in, he could possibly start a war in Asia before he's actually president!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #1160  
Old 04.12.2016, 01:43
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,585
Groaned at 252 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 16,922 Times in 6,952 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
This is great. How anyone with any sense can complain is beyond me.

Taiwan is a democracy. China isn't. It's about time someone ruffelled their feathers.
Quote:
View Post
If he puts a bit more effort in, he could possibly start a war in Asia before he's actually president!
Exactly. Seriously, Loz1983 and Phos, are you that naive?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 159 09.10.2018 02:31
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0